• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 things you need to know about Gran Turismo Sport

KORNdoggy

I'm really looking forward to this. It sounds a lot like the typical campaign content has just been shifted online, so you now have to race against people. We all know people > AI when it comes to behaviour and level of challenge in games so this seems like a good way to go. Got it pretty cheap to, so even if its shit i can sell it for more than i bought it for. Lol.

eso76

I don't think I'll miss AI races.

Ok, what is this ?

You can race against AI in this game, right ?

The game at least has a simple "quick race" mode right ? Like pick a car and a track and race against random cars of the same class ?

Some of the comments here made me fear otherwise.

MaDKaT

And the inevitable dick-waving of who's sim racing franchise preference is better begins.

OT, people are always risk averse, and without this thing releasing it is too soon to tell whether they know what they are doing, or if they are alienating the people who prefer traditional club series offline.

Pretty obvious there are signs of alienation for those folks that prefer offline club racing. I'm one of those. Nearly 20 years of this being my favorite racing series with...

6 main games plus 5XL
2 Prologue
4 Demos
2 Concept games
1 Mobile
And the excellent Tourist Trophy

to see it's offline reduced to nothing more than a glorified tutorial is pretty disheartening. They basically stripped out what was GT and and made an online focused GT lite.

Really odd to think Forza is going to provide the GT experience I have been waiting for.

MaDKaT

Ok, what is this ?

You can race against AI in this game, right ?

The game at least has a simple "quick race" mode right ? Like pick a car and a track and race against random cars of the same class ?

Some of the comments here made me fear otherwise.

There is and arcade mode. Just no traditional offline career mode.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i need clarification on 'select tracks in offline arcade.' right now.

i honestly don't care at all about whether there is a campaign with progression and unlocks. all i want is the ability to drive anything on any track with adjustable conditions whenever i want, and if i can't do that then i won't even bother.

i need clarification on 'select tracks in offline arcade.' right now.
This too. Nice catch.

This doesn't mean you'll need PlayStation Plus though. As with all PlayStation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for the online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline.

Yeah, not quite understanding the "select tracks" bit in this context.

Its kindof nuts how much of this game still remains a mystery to me.

The more they reveal about this game the less interested in it I become.
So I guess maybe it's a good thing that they're being unclear about what exactly is accessible offline in their weird mostly always online game.

Hopefully this will be good for those into the whole competitive multiplayer racing league thing.
Myself I'm just completely out at this point. I'd like an actual GT on PS4, haven't played one since GT5 in fucking a decade ago or whatever. Probably not happening until 2020 or something, hopefully before the PS5 is out.

katsais

I'm already mostly online with D2, and Bungie does a solid job keeping things going. If Polyphony can do the same with GT, I'm hyped. I should have my 4K TV by then too.

commedieu

Banned
Every time I've played an online race in Forza or GT, it just becomes an insane, lag-infested bumper cars event, with half of the race going through ghost cars because everyone slams into *every* wall.

I'll give GTS a chance, because that's the focus of the game, but, up to now, I've never actually felt like an online race was ever, even remotely, a good simulation of real racing.

This is how 99% of online racing is. Minus the lag which is a variable. no one can really drive that well. If you make friends and run private servers sure. But for the most part, from pc to consoles. Everyone wrecks the first corner. Then they log out.
Playing with dedicated drivers is key, but very hard to find clean people.

Pc Sims are a bit better when it comes to this. But I prefer hotlaps for a reason.

Mascot

Add it to the list of mysteries. You'd think an article like this would clear up more than it muddies.

It's a bit of a mess, isn't it?
I enjoyed my time with the beta but I'm no longer bothered that I won't be able to play the full game.
It'll probably review a lot worse than FM7 or pCARS 2 but still outsell them by millions.

4 years. This half a game took them 4 years to make.

Sigh...of course I'll still buy it though. So starved for a GT game, what else can I do.

danowat

Banned
4 years. This half a game took them 4 years to make.

Sigh...of course I'll still buy it though. So starved for a GT game, what else can I do.

Just out of curiosity, what specifically is it about GT that you are starved for that isn't covered in one of the other racing sims?

All they did was expand the License tests and added even more tests for driving etiquette. That is not a campaign, that is a license test/tutorial hell.

It's not just License tests now though, they have expanded on the idea, with racing challenges and the Driving Etiquette mode is really interesting, teaching you how to race correctly and follow proper racing rules is pretty cool, if you are actually into racing as a sport . Personally I really like a game that challenges you to get better and GT has always done that.

No point crying over the career mode, it's not there and nothing we can do about it. Maybe it will come as an expansion to the game later on but it won't stop me enjoying the things that GT Sport does offer.

Harmen

The first point is the only one I need to know, and the one that makes me skip this.

Glad for those who are excited for this title, but looking at how I consume racing games, this is not for me and I sincerely hope we will get an actual GT7 this generation, or even an elaborate campaign DLC for Sports.

c0de

It's a bit of a mess, isn't it?
I enjoyed my time with the beta but I'm no longer bothered that I won't be able to play the full game.
It'll probably review a lot worse than FM7 or pCARS 2 but still outsell them by millions.

It will as people will just buy it for the name. The question is how much the next iteration will sell after Sport as people will be disappointed when they hope that Sport will be like the predecessors.

farisr

It will as people will just buy it for the name. The question is how much the next iteration will sell after Sport as people will be disappointed when they hope that Sport will be like the predecessors.
I think this is one of the reasons they weren't confident enough to outright call it Gran Turismo 7 (they sure wanted to though). They need a fallback. If this game's word of mouth and sales legs are bad enough (despite it almost undoubtedly selling millions more than the competition in launch month alone) they may reconsider this direction they're going in and provide a full GT experience with a Gran Turismo 7, and the whole narrative will be "don't mind GT Sport, it was just a spinoff, that's why it wasn't numbered,this is a true entry" to attract people who skipped out on, or felt burned by GT Sport's new direction back .

baberunisei

Didn't know about the assists. That's nice. Now Im thinking about getting it.

I couldn't play well any GT game released after 3 on the PS2

Hoje0308

Banned
Gonna wait to see if the online requirement is the bullshit it sounds like. Plenty of other racing titles this fall, all Polyphony will be doing is saving me money. More time for South Park, I suppose.

OmegaDL50

I've owned every single game in the series up to this point.

I'm just going to wait for the spectacle that is the review thread before I consider buying it.

I have a strong feeling that hardcore sim enthusiasts from the likes of the iRacing and Simbin crowd will give it glowing remarks, but the folks that want the Sunday Cup and Jazz Music are going to be severely left in the cold.

I understand Kaz has a specific vision on what he wants GT to be but it seems even in the face of the long standing fan base the series has shouldn't be so lightly ignored. Very few series tend to do well by outright ignoring the strengths and longtime traits of the series.

Ever since GT Academy became a thing with the emphasis of trying to convert video game racing game players into real life race car drivers. The gradual transformation into trying to make GT a realistic Racing Sim with real life racing organization sponsorships and regulations has been there.

I just hope Kaz's tireless pursuit to get his game recognized by the FIA GT organization on the emphasis of striving for realistic experience doesn't eschew the fun gamification of the series even at the behest of ignoring the roots that make the series so beloved to begin with.

After all, some times at the end of the day I just want to sit down and kick back doing simple races in my beginner Sunday Cup car or do some silly time trials on ridiculously over tuned 1000+ HP Skyline R34.

Unfortunately the first thing cancels out the other seven for me. Of the hundreds of hours I've dumped into GT over the years, not a single one has been online multiplayer, and I don't intend to start now (I don't even have PS+). A GT with such a paltry car and track count and no proper singleplayer just isn't worth it for me, especially with PCars 2 and Forza 7 out at the same time.

Razgreez

PSN only shows the standard edition and digital deluxe edition. Are there any items that are exclusive to the deluxe edition I.e. items that cannot be obtained in game?

Top Bottom