• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

Why would Perturbator pay a VAT if he's Australian anyway?

Australian? :D he's British i think, and lives in France.

and the VAT thing applies to all european BUYERS, so if you sell stuff to an european customer, he/she has to pay the VAT to his/her country. This new law enforces this to digital goods. And this new law has the annoyance of forcing sellers to keep records of sales and other paperwork that can be a lot of pain for small artists.

edit: aaaand the whole mess of leaving Bandcamp was because Bandcamp was not supposed to do this automatically so quickly, so every artist would have had to keep their own records and report the taxes to each country he sells to. Now, luckily like Amazon and iTunes, Bandcamp does this too themselves so artists can focus on making music and getting profits from Bandcamp. Now, for us buyers, when you buy a track/album. After selecting your country or going to Paypal, i bet the system automatically adds your country's own VAT percentage on top. Sucks, but atleast it's easier.

(and you can make fake accounts to Monaco or something to get zero VAT)

retroman

Happy New Year!

a1422242335_10.jpg

Tracklist:

1. DANCE WITH THE DEAD - Entity
2. Miami Nights 1984 - Reflex Training
3. OGRE - The Bench
4. Power Glove - TELECOM
5. SelloRekt/ LA Dreams - Sweat
6. Sunglasses Kid - Knockout feat. Phaserland
7. Highway Superstar - Skylines
8. Timecop1983 - Waiting For You
9. Trevor Something - Your Sex Is A Dream
10. AIRGLOW - S.A.M.
11. Compilerbau - Neon Drive 84
12. Daniel Deluxe - Hero Of Orion
13. Tokyo Rose - Tokyo Burnout
14. Diana Gitallog & Pacifico - été rouge (feat. Dead Astronauts) [Bonus]

Bandcamp page: http://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/the-80s-dream-compilation-tape-vol-3

Bumhead

Banned
Only just discovered this thread but I absolutely love stuff like this.

I don't know where to start with notable acts/albums etc, though. Although I have just given that Dance With the Dead - Send the Signal album on the last page a quick scan on iTunes and I love what I hear of that. Going to buy it.

Is there a beginners list of essential reading I should be checking out?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I don't know where to start with notable acts/albums etc, though. Although I have just given that Dance With the Dead - Send the Signal album on the last page a quick scan on iTunes and I love what I hear of that. Going to buy it.

I'm kind of the same - hardly an expert but thanks to this thread I've checked out (and bought) albums by Kavinsky, Night Runner, A Gap Between, and the track 'Hourglass' by SURVIVE. I'd recommend all those.

SJRB

Gold Member

I'd recommend all the Perturbator albums, as well as Mega Drive - 198XAD. Lazerhawk - Skull and Shark is another great album from last year.

If you're into something a bit more cinematic, give Protector 101 - Wastelands a shot. It's one of my personal favourites. Basically the sountrack to a non-existent eighties Mad Max-style movie.

Atrophis

Gonna keep my eye on this thread in 2015. I love this stuff but don't follow it as closely as I should.

Just checking out the last few pages I have done the following:

Bought Dynatrons Throttle Up EP on vinyl.
Actually bothered to check out the John Carpenter album sample and was blown away. Going to buy that sucker on vinyl for sure.
Heard Carpenter Brut for the first time. Got sad that none of his stuff is available on vinyl...then saw this tweet.

Basically I just want all this stuff on vinyl, I have just started collecting and this type of music is a perfect match. Sadly a lot of these artists are really missing a trick by not releasing on vinyl. I don't know how viable it would be for a lot of them but they would sell limited runs easily I would think.

bounchfx

I'm primarily a metal head, but this shit is just too good to pass up. Been absolutely in love with the new Perturbator. It's so good. Tons of great suggestions in this thread to keep me going for a while.

Bumhead

Banned
I bought Perturbator - Dangerous Days last night.

Absolutely superb on the first couple of listens.

Excited to check out more of this stuff.

Rydeen

Hey guys

I just stumbled upon this thread and love what I've heard of the spotify playlist so far. Any recommendations? I really liked the "Escape from New York" and "Hotline Miami" soundtrack so anything along those lines would be ideal
Definitely check out all of John Carpenter's scores, he directed Escape From New York and a ton of other movies, and almost always does his own scores, usually with some assistance from Alan Howarth.

Also check out the music of Tangerine Dream and Vangelis, two biggies of synth film scores of the 1980's. Almost all the current retro new wave stuff owes them big time.

I didn't know there was a thread like this here. I gave me some time this Christmas to play with my ipad, and as a fan of this kind of music I did this:
FJPG- Flashing Lights
It was created with Korg Gadget.

Of course, any kind of positive/negative feedback is welcome :)

I didn't know there was a thread like this here. I gave me some time this Christmas to play with my ipad, and as a fan of this kind of music I did this:
FJPG- Flashing Lights
It was created with Korg Gadget.

Of course, any kind of positive/negative feedback is welcome :)

Love the intro! Not a fun of the vocals, but the music is ace.

How difficult is it to produce something basic? Like some synth and effects? I sooo want to try.

EDIT: vocals are growing on me. Really good! Do you have other tracks? I love it xD

Love the intro! Not a fun of the vocals, but the music is ace.

How difficult is it to produce something basic? Like some synth and effects? I sooo want to try.

I think Korg Gadget makes things very easy, there are some limitations if you are an experienced user (this is where your imagination comes into play), but it is powerful enough to produce pretty decent music. I can't sing, so vocals were done with vocaloid.

I'd recommend you to have a quick look at some youtube tutorials of this app, you'll find it easy :)

So, so good.

Also, he tweeted earlier this week that his new album is 90% done, so that' something to look forward to in the [near?] future.

6 months out or so, i'd guess. When an album is "finished". And you're a signed artist on a label, it takes a really long while before the vinyls are pressed and the CD's are out.

Did they do a reprint? I don't have any way to listen to it, but I would love to have one of these.

It was a special edition reprint released this summer (well, the pre-order, that is).

I wanted the fluo version but it sold out in like 2 minutes.

I managed to snag two copies of this double-disced beauty.

Did they do a reprint? I don't have any way to listen to it, but I would love to have one of these.

yeah there was a Glow in the Dark and that Duotone versions along with a regular Black edition.More versions, especially reprints in Black might still be coming later.

I started my vinyl collecting from the original Splatter version :D it's just a cool piece of art and a physical object even if you don't listen to it. Plenty of ways to listen to the album contents itself anyways.

I wanted to support the artist and get something way cooler than a CD. It has gotten a little out of hand though by getting the 6 colour GTA 5 vinyl box set and pre-ordering the Hotline Miami 2 box set :D

Top Bottom