• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

Nokterian

John Carpenter's album is out in the wild. It's pretty cool. Combines more aggressive stuff similar to what's posted in here with slower songs reminiscent of his film scores.

I am going to buy his album his first 2 songs that where online sounded very awesome.

Nokterian

I can't be the only one listening to this one, am I? This album will not stop blowing my mind.

a4128369918_2.jpg

http://ladreams.bandcamp.com

Damn this album sounds so good! Hyperglide really takes the cake for me.

I'm not sure how well this fits under this thread, but since it's pretty quiet I guess it won't hurt to post. Not sure if this has been posted here before, but you guys may like Misanthrope. It's a free futuristic-type album, not sure how much 80's there is though. It's by Brian Altano, who is on The Comedy Button (podcast).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
He dropped them last November but I somehow completely missed it: Mega Drive put up two new tracks on Soundcloud:

Geist
Kingpin

Geist especially is really gritty, I love it. Mega Drive is really awesome, 198XAD is one of my alltime favourite albums. Hope he has a new album soon.

I just heard these. He might be the best hard synth guy out there.

retroman

This sounds interesting:

10958834_10155091729245562_5717769737296244940_o.jpg

Carpenter is a compilation album to be released by Retro Promenade, organized by Jean-Pierre Van Damme and Mike 'Who Ha' Mendoza. This album will contain music inspired by John Carpenter's film and music career, which no doubt has inspired all of us at some point.
It is a 20 track album guided by the principles of aiming for the highest quality. That means that this is compilation is open to as many people who want to submit a track, but that only 20 tracks will be selected. To prevent internal politics, there are 5 third party selectors asked to select these 20 tracks from all the tracks submitted. Don't feel like you shouldn't submit a track out of a lack of confidence. Just try your very best to make the best dang John Carpenter inspired track you've ever made and submit it. Doing it this way ensures it is a completely level playing field for everyone and ensures that the final album contains the highest caliber of music we could possibly release.

The 5 selectors are:
Rick Shithouse, Synthetix FM
Steve Jenkins, Telefuture
Andy Last, Beyond Synth Podcast
Marko Maric, Synthetix Sundays
Jean-Pierre Van Damme, Drive Radio
Carpenter - Track Submission Date: Tuesday March 24th, 2015
Release Date: Tuesday March 31st, 2015

Source: http://www.synthetix.fm/

KodaRuss

I absolutely love this style of music. Not sure how I had missed this thread before now. Pretty sure playing Hotline Miami really got me into it.

I have been doing a lot of digging for other music like the others I have found recently but now I will be checking out the suggestions on this thread. Thanks Gaf!

Atrophis

Fucks sake people really need to stop putting up vinyl orders this month. Now I've got to order that Gost album. Look at it!

10978662_907015889332960_2487053944500749728_n.jpg

Oh and Slasherwave?? How many genre labels do we need for this music.

X-Frame

Whoa, bought. Is there an easy to translate the songs and album name? Otherwise I'd just use Google Translate, but not sure how accurate it is.

kase23

I'm in love with this album

tumblr_nilatu1vgP1rsdpaso1_500.gif

http://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18

It's definitely not synth pop or aggressive or anything like that. It's almost ambient really, but I think it fits here. Nice cyberpunk vibe.

This is such a fantastic find, didn't even make it past the 3rd track before buying, thanks for sharing.

Whoa, bought. Is there an easy to translate the songs and album name? Otherwise I'd just use Google Translate, but not sure how accurate it is.

A translation by a native speaker would be great. Searched but didn't find any. I usually keep the original and translated titles in two different tags.

2814 - 新しい日の誕生/Birth of a New Day

1. 恢复/Recovery
2. 遠くの愛好家/Distant Lovers
3. 新宿ゴールデン街/Shinjuku Golden Gai
4. ふわっと/Drifting
5. 悲哀/Sorrow
6. 真実の恋/True Love
7. テレパシー/Telepathy
8. 新しい日の誕生/Birth of a New Day

X-Frame

This is such a fantastic find, didn't even make it past the 3rd track before buying, thanks for sharing.

2814 - 新しい日の誕生/Birth of a New Day

1. 恢复/Recovery
2. 遠くの愛好家/Distant Lovers
3. 新宿ゴールデン街/Shinjuku Golden Gai
4. ふわっと/Drifting
5. 悲哀/Sorrow
6. 真実の恋/True Love
7. テレパシー/Telepathy
8. 新しい日の誕生/Birth of a New Day

Nice, so Google Translate was spot on? Cool.

Vindicator

Speaking of John Carpenter, this is a really good remix compilation from Germany.
It's from 1984, especially The Thing sounds awesome.
R-130618-1213804181.jpeg.jpg

The Splash Band - The Music of John Carpenter

Top Bottom