• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

majik13

Not sure how Ive missed this thread. Been really into the genre since Drive and Blood Dragon released a couple years ago.

Anyways I thought it was refered to as New Retro Wave or Synth Wave? But seems it has many titles. I ussually just listen to the New Retro Wave channel playlists on YT.

Looks like Perturbator's go-to cover artist remade the I Am The Night cover:

10984270_783813881703242_8769391058046013288_n.jpg

The old one:

KodaRuss

Looks like Perturbator's go-to cover artist remade the I Am The Night cover:

The old one:

Think I like the old one better.

Trevor Something "Summer of Love" from a few posts above is one of my favorites right now.

Made a huge playlist for work (traveling sales rep), puts me in a great mood all the time.

Coreda

What happened to this? It seems to have vanished from bandcamp with no explanation.

Has happened with a couple of releases I've been looking for on the site (not within this thread). Even with Bandcamp offering FLAC downloads there are sometimes reasonably popular releases where a lossless mirror can't be found anywhere after mysteriously disappearing. ;︵;

moojito

I'm loving me some Perturbator. So much stuff on spotify showing as released last year too, dude's been busy!

The new black is probably my favourite track.

Anyway, aside from possibly Kavinsky, what artists/bands do similarly dark style music? I've clicked around a few of the related artists on spotify, but most of them are slightly more upbeat.

kami_sama

I'm loving me some Perturbator. So much stuff on spotify showing as released last year too, dude's been busy!

Anyway, aside from possibly Kavinsky, what artists/bands do similarly dark style music? I've clicked around a few of the related artists on spotify, but most of them are slightly more upbeat.

I would say Gost. It's fucking heavy, though, so you might not like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rso-kMjoBM

Also, when will the CD become available for preorder? I'd love to get one.

SJRB

Gold Member

Mega Drive.

Check out his 198XAD album, it's sooo good.

Anyways I thought it was refered to as New Retro Wave or Synth Wave? But seems it has many titles. I ussually just listen to the New Retro Wave channel playlists on YT.

Synthwave or Retrowave is the most common genretitle. Others are invented by bands or radiostations like that NewRetroWave.

What happened to this? It seems to have vanished from bandcamp with no expalnation.

EU changed VAT per january first making people like him or any artist require to more for getting money instead how it was before and it will kill small company's as well.

Nope, Bandcamp takes care of that VAT change already. Dan Terminus got signed to the same label as Gost and Perturbator and is getting a proper release :) Album will be back soon and on all music platforms.

Think I like the old one better.

old one was just a messy photoshop collage of art stolen from google :D

Spotify album years go just by the date they were uploaded, most of those albums are older than 2014.

So it seems like anyone trying to get Perturbator's "I Am The Night" and "Terror 404" on vinyl Feb. 25th will be fucked. Blood Music has some stupid membership program where you pay a yearly fee and you get to pre-order 1 day in advance before the public. 75% of them have been SOLD OUT in just ONE HOUR

Just a heads-up - Groupees has a preorder on for a Synthwave bundle (7 albums, and most likely bonus tracks/albums). About five hours left on it as of this writing.

https://groupees.com/synth

Considering it's only a dollar, it's a no-brainer. For reference, the last time I bought a music bundle from them (also for a dollar), I got the entire discography of the rock band Trapt, and there have been other bundles I've bought like the recent Retro 4 that have chiptune or synth albums included as bonuses.

moojito

Damn, a lot of perturbator stuff got removed from spotify :<
That's rubbish, I was really getting into those recently.

Just a heads-up - Groupees has a preorder on for a Synthwave bundle (7 albums, and most likely bonus tracks/albums). About five hours left on it as of this writing.

https://groupees.com/synth

Considering it's only a dollar, it's a no-brainer. For reference, the last time I bought a music bundle from them (also for a dollar), I got the entire discography of the rock band Trapt, and there have been other bundles I've bought like the recent Retro 4 that have chiptune or synth albums included as bonuses.

Lovely. Paid $20 for good music and it's good for charity so a winner is me :)
Thanks!

Damn, a lot of perturbator stuff got removed from spotify :<
That's rubbish, I was really getting into those recently.

Terror 404 and I am the Night are getting remastered and rereleased, they'll be back on May 19th and March 3rd respectively (according to Blood Music and Perturbator's Facebook pages.)

moojito

Terror 404 and I am the Night are getting remastered and rereleased, they'll be back on May 19th and March 3rd respectively (according to Blood Music and Perturbator's Facebook pages.)

Ah, that's good news. I was looking at his twitter page but didn't see the facebook one.

Here's the contents of the Groupees Synthwave bundle

Betamaxx - Sophisticated Technology
DANCE WITH THE DEAD - Near Dark
Flash Arnold - This Is It
Phaserland - Electric Atlantic
Shio-Z - The Z-Machinery
Sebastian Gampl - City Hunter
Vector Hold - Mechanized

$500 bonus is: Protector 101 - Hunter's Journey

SJRB

Gold Member

Shio-Z - The Z-Machinery
Vector Hold - Mechanized

This is a total no-brainer, especially for that money.

And apparantly it's for a good cause as well? Everyone get in on this!

Nokterian

Shio-Z - The Z-Machinery
Vector Hold - Mechanized

Paid 15 bucks and 20% to that little girl just to help here out :) Great deal!

moojito

Holy shit, Carpenter Brut is awesome. Sometimes you just hear something once and you know that's your new jam, right there.

Top Bottom