• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 months later, Street Fighter V has finally shipped (incl digital) 100K more copies

I recently bought the game on offer, it's actually alright for just some fights against my family on and off.

One annoying thing is the gating off of fighters behind some in game currency which seems like it will take an age to just unlock one!

What bollocks.

it does take an age to unlock with fight money, typical publisher bullshit to claim it's possible to get the stuff by playing the game but the time required to get it is so long they hope you'll get impatient and just buy it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I recently bought the game on offer, it's actually alright for just some fights against my family on and off.

One annoying thing is the gating off of fighters behind some in game currency which seems like it will take an age to just unlock one!

What bollocks.

Apparently this is better than just having a Super version with all the characters.

Skilletor

What bollocks.

You'll probably be able to unlock 2 or 3 just doing the individual story modes which takes like 5 minutes max each. Unlock more by doing the trials for each. You'll get 50k fight money for doing the cinematic story on normal, and another 80k on hard.

I'd say it's pretty easy to get the first 4-5 characters.

Apparently this is better than just having a Super version with all the characters.

I mean...tons of people bitched about that, too. So much so that it has pretty much become a meme at this point.

I think the implementation Capcom went with isn't the best, but I can't blame them for wanting to try something new after so many people continued to bitch that they were updating SF4 with new content.

The Hermit

I preordered it for the beta test, and I was surprised when it was finally unlocked that it was basically the same beta version.
I still had to wait a couple of weeks for the extra features and months for a proper story mode.

I loved it, but eventually decided to play other games and have very little reason to return.

Ultra SFII looks more interesting to me, since I've never played ST properly ( only MAME version)

Pompadour

I come from personal experience of trying to fight friends. Now I'm curious to see if Rev is that bad with randos. I had an actually pretty normal experience with SFV random match, it just surprised me how much shitty it was to play with my friends. I kept hoping that they would fix it... they never did. Combine that with new pricey characters that I have to relearn every time and my interest died down a lot.

Ranked in Revelator is functionally non-existent. The Ranked matchmaking was terrible, took forever, most games would fail to connect, and when you got into a game nine times out of ten would feel like you were playing underwater. It's so abysmal that the small GG community abandoned it so it may actually be impossible to find Ranked matches.

But this is sort of tangential to the issue. GGXrd uses delay-based netcode which, at its best, is perfectly fine but when the connection isn't great it clearly lacks compared to rollback netcode. So if you're playing with friends then I imagine the netcode is suitable. My online experience with Rev was that I had to play in lobbies, which are well implemented, because Ranked was dead and I'd gravitate to playing one person over and over if the connection was good. It felt like playing a fighter in the MAME days where you're stuck with the same guy because only 10 people are playing and the other connections aren't great.

Now, I'm all about Ranked because I want to fight a wide variety of opponents and I want those matches to be as playable as possible. Considering how niche the fighting game genre is making the majority of matches playable is important if you want to play lots of people. After playing Revelator for a month I felt I had played every single person I could manage to have a decent connection with.

On a side note, I'd like to clarify why I (and the FGC in general) think rollback netcode is better than delay based netcode. I think casual players see the occasional teleporting or rewinding and think that rollback must be worse because delay based netcode just slows down things when its lagging. The issue here is lag with delay based netcode affects the game in subtle, non-visual ways all the time that many players may not notice. Street Fighter 4 essentially had a bunch of "offline only combos" because delaying the game would mess with the extremely strict timing of links. Your muscle memory may be 100% on point but the game lagged ever so slightly so that you dropped your combo and you're not even sure if it was your fault or the game.

The difference with rollback is your inputs with their timing aren't affected so if you read the situation correctly and execute your combo flawlessly, that combo will land. Now, the game can rollback and what was initially a hit becomes blocked and your combo becomes an unsafe blockstring but with delay based netcode you're equally screwed in the same situation. What makes rollback back great is not that it makes the best connections better (it doesn't) or the worst connections bearable (it doesn't) but rather it makes the huge amount of medium connections much more playable whereas delay based netcode makes them worse.

ibrahima

Banned
Selling an additional 100 thousand since the launch window seems pretty awful.

I get the feeling that they need to get some version of the game into the hands of as many people as possible to get past the god awful launch, all that they've done so far is to try and satiate enthusiasts which is going to provide steadily slimmer returns on their investment as time goes on.

They should make a F2P version, maybe make it a PS+ title for a month or so, chuck in Ryu and rotate some other characters. Throw in the cinematic story mode and randomly have players fight online matches during story mode to get people used to playing online.

As much as they need to cater for the demands of the FGC (and by God they really do) they need to do more to open up the game to casuals.

They've tried to do that by lowering the skill barrier but I'd argue that only works when you have an audience that are willing to invest time and money into the game in the first place alongside an environment that they will prosper in.

If you can take away the money aspect you might actually get some level of greater uptake amongst casual players.

If you can combine single player and multiplayer into the same experience you can gradually get casual players to understand and appreciate playing online.

What about people that have already bought the game? They should continue support as they have but jesus they need to do something about these things:

1) server maintenance taking half a day should not exist in a modern title

2) user interface is somehow worse and slower to navigate than SF4

3) training room and online functionality needs to be brought into parity with other fighting games

I'm sure there are others.

Well, You know.. you would not want to piss off all the fans that already brought the game. They might take their money back from Capcom. Maybe just the last 100K of them anyway.

Icarus

They probably had a fair number of units still in the retail channel to sell through... at least there were reorders.

it does take an age to unlock with fight money, typical publisher bullshit to claim it's possible to get the stuff by playing the game but the time required to get it is so long they hope you'll get impatient and just buy it.

I recently started a new account to see how long it would actually take to unlock six DLC characters and it's around 11 hours. You do have to play through Normal Survival around seven times as part of that (and each run can take about 20 minutes) but it's not too difficult to earn the Season 1 cast with the solo content currently available.

It does dry up a bit after that, though. You don't earn nearly enough fight money for playing online. I've got the trophy for over 1million Fight Money and less that 90k of that is from online wins (though a decent amount is from levelling up various characters).

Hopefully Season 2 will add solo modes which offer more chances at earning FM.

I come from personal experience of trying to fight friends. Now I'm curious to see if Rev is that bad with randos. I had an actually pretty normal experience with SFV random match, it just surprised me how much shitty it was to play with my friends. I kept hoping that they would fix it... they never did. Combine that with new pricey characters that I have to relearn every time and my interest died down a lot.

Actually, I keep thinking that what once seemed like a great move (constant influx of characters into the game instead of revised version) is probably what is killing it for me. I don't feel like learning character moves that I can't even play as, just to not be surprised by them online and not being able to settle on a main because characters keep popping up makes me feel like an idiot when I train.

And then there's also a bunch of high-risk high-difficulty low-reward characters that makes me feel like the game was made for just some characters. I don't feel like SFV is fun to throw punches around, it feels more like a chore :/ (like IV did at some point too)

I dunno maybe I'll get back into it but I'm having way more fun with Rev and the KOF XIV demo than I have with SFV
My guess is your friends live pretty close to you, because non-rollback netcode like in GGXrd can get very underwater otherwise. Extremely frustrating for me, because it does seem like a great, fun fighting game but I have no time or any real interest in only playing it locally.

It's a shame SF5 is giving you problems with private matches. I've been lucky to avoid any real buggy issues like that, it's just the one-sided rollback which screws me over. (If my friends had connections that bad I wouldn't be playing with them anymore, ha.)

I don't feel a single new character every couple+ months really changes up the competitive landscape enough that I need to worry too much, but having to purchase them just to train against them in practice is bullshit. I've gotten to play against Akuma exactly once since his release, and the opponent was rollback-teleporting so I learned nothing.

My understanding is that KOF doesn't use rollback netcode either, which is unfortunate because I'd love to get into it. I suppose I have plenty of great fighting games (including older KOF titles) that do, at least. After Xrd I've stopped buying non-rollback fighting games on day one, I wait for deep sales. (I will probably violate this rule for the next BlazBlue PC release, but that's because I know it will have dozens of hours of offline content for me.)

Its a chore to farm fight money.

Yeah, as someone who bought the game a few months ago I can safely say that anyone who says it's totally fine to grind fight money using single player is talking out of their ass. Survival mode is an egregious waste of time, the story mode has broken AI (on hard it's smarter to just throw fireballs and not move than actually fight), and the character stories are one and dones.

And after beating every character story, sitting through the story mode twice, and forcing myself through a few survivals? I can get 3 characters. That's as far as the free ride takes me unless I buckle up for the long grind or throw myself into survival mode hell.

HotHamBoy

Yeah, as someone who bought the game a few months ago I can safely say that anyone who says it's totally fine to grind fight money using single player is talking out of their ass. Survival mode is an egregious waste of time, the story mode has broken AI (on hard it's smarter to just throw fireballs and not move than actually fight), and the character stories are one and dones.

And after beating every character story, sitting through the story mode twice, and forcing myself through a few survivals? I can get 3 characters. That's as far as the free ride takes me unless I buckle up for the long grind or throw myself into survival mode hell.

Alternatively, you can smash your head against the wall trying to win 50 FM per win online, assuming you can get past the disconnects and rage quits and actually best your opponent.

The long-promised Daily Challenges just ended up being weekend challenges for about 6000 FM. You can get a whole character just doing that after 16 weeks.

Thing is, characters aren't the only thing that require Fight Money. Stuff that COMES WITH THE GAME YOU PAID $60 FOR also requires FM. Story Mode Costumes (40k) colors and titles. It's an impossible grind just to unlock all of the things on the disc, let alone the DLC.

No, I would much rather than all the on-disc stuff was easily unlockable and I'll just pay $6/character, which is totally reasonable IMO.

We also can congidently assume that the asinine $4 price for DLC costumes is also thanks to the existence of FM. I like to buy DLC costumes, but that price is prohibitive, so no costumes for me. It's just not an option. That sucks. We used to get 4 costumes for $5. Give me the option to pay for costume bundles and I'll jist buy the damn characters, which I'm going to buy anyway because I like having the new stages, which also cost FM or real money, And I'd rather spend FM on stages and story mode costumes since none of those are covered by the Season Passes!

/rant

Kashiwaba

I recently started a new account to see how long it would actually take to unlock six DLC characters and it's around 11 hours. You do have to play through Normal Survival around seven times as part of that (and each run can take about 20 minutes) but it's not too difficult to earn the Season 1 cast with the solo content currently available.

It does dry up a bit after that, though. You don't earn nearly enough fight money for playing online. I've got the trophy for over 1million Fight Money and less that 90k of that is from online wins (though a decent amount is from levelling up various characters).

Hopefully Season 2 will add solo modes which offer more chances at earning FM.

Weekly challenge gives your 6~8k fm every week which means free character every 2.5 to 3 months and that's not actually bad considering they release one character every 2 months.

HotHamBoy

Weekly challenge gives your 6~8k fm every week which means free character every 2.5 to 3 months and that's not actually bad considering they release one character every 2 months.

Thats assuming you have zero interest in the myriad of other things FM buys, a lot of which is already on the disc you purchased.

640k FM just to get the Story Mode costumes for the base roster. That ignores colors and titles. All that comes with the disc. What are you actually getting for $60 and how does that compare to other $60 fighting games like KOF 14, MKX and GGR Xrd Sign (notice I didnt say Rev)?

MKX launched with over 20 characters that had 3 different movesets each and stomps it in Single Player content. KOF14 launched with 50 characters, with 4 unlocked colors for each, and all the traditional modes. They just released another set of colors for the cast for free. GGXrd has a bunch of SP modes, including a stupid Visual Novel campaign.

The whole thing is just nickle and dimeing their fans, and yet they still defend the practice. It was a goddamned full price title. By the time they added more content the price of the disc had dropped anyway so you paid more for less.

HotHamBoy

The whole thing is just nickle and dimeing their fans, and yet they still defend the practice. It was a goddamned full price title. By the time they added more content the price of the disc had dropped anyway so you paid more for less.

$60 for what you got at launch was obscene and waiting for them to add more content took forever. Most of that content was not meaningful. Had I waited I could have gotten the Deluxe Edition w/ Season Pass for $45 after the 6 characters had released and all the other stuff had been added and fixed.

Yes, games go down in price. But games usually are finished when they release. Street Fighter V was basically an Early Access game, but rather than selling unfinished for less, it sold for more and got cheaper as it was completed.

Kashiwaba

Thats assuming you have zero interest in the myriad of other things FM buys, a lot of which is already on the disc you purchased.

640k FM just to get the Story Mode costumes for the base roster. That ignores colors and titles. All that comes with the disc. What are you actually getting for $60 and how does that compare to other $60 fighting games like KOF 14, MKX and GGR Xrd Sign (notice I didnt say Rev)?

MKX launched with over 20 characters that had 3 different movesets each and stomps it in Single Player content. KOF14 launched with 50 characters, with 4 unlocked colors for each, and all the traditional modes. They just released another set of colors for the cast for free. GGXrd has a bunch of SP modes, including a stupid Visual Novel campaign.

I never said anything about the contents of the game what I'm saying is it's very possible now and really easy to unlock all characters without paying any extra penny without having to be a dedicated player, otherwise i agree with you SFV is very lacking content wise.

Kashiwaba

Sure is since it doesn't split the community.

Rereleasing fighting games every year doesn't work anymore. It's not FIFA or any other big sport franchise where people will buy your game ever year for updated roster, look at the casuals first reaction when a new SF is announced, usually it's i will wait for the super or Ultra Edition.

Sure is since it doesn't split the community.

I don't think this ever happened, unless you're not talking about the Fighting Game Community.

I was on board with Capcom's current plan, but now I think that a Super version is what would do this game way more justice than what we have right now

I don't think this ever happened, unless you're not talking about the Fighting Game Community.

I was on board with Capcom's current plan, but now I think that a Super version is what would do this game way more justice than what we have right now

Yep. Release a Super version, but make sure it still works with base title by keeping it practically the same game + all DLC included.

SmokeMaxX

Well, you can either do the Injustice 2 model of paying another $40 for 9 DLC chars or you can do what I did and pay $0 for 7 DLC chars + enough fight money for 2-3 more. Not sure why people are complaining about Fight Money. Don't grind it then. Buy the characters. Noone's forcing you to grind.

Yes, this is true if you can get past the difficulty spike and you don't get a server disconnect before the end.
They actually fixed the server disconnect thing. A disconnect doesn't boot you anymore, and once you beat the survival, it asks if you want to log back in to receive the rewards.

So much horse shit wrapped around a solid core of a fighting game. Really hope they get it sorted.

Seriously this

I'm committed to V... so much so that at this point, I've already put more time into it than any of the previous entries. The gameplay really did just click with me, whereas i could never find my footing with IV.

Sadly, yeah, so much noise and poo around it tho :(

Outsourcing models and stage graphics also meant the game never really visually wowed.

I dunno, ive been playing it since launch and still find it beautiful, especially the character models and animations. I could just watch matches all day ala ProTour/Evo
Stages are a bit restrained, sure, but i imagine this was deliberate and doesn't bother me. Patch in that PC motionblur tho Capcom, plz? Thx

I certainly find way more appealing visually than anything offered from NeverRealm

Top Bottom