• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread: From Boot Disks to 3dfx Voodoo cards

When we first had the shareware demo of Diablo our computer was way too outdated to run it properly, but we had a workaround thanks to this Qix-esque game called JezzBall.
Jezzdale0.png

We ended up trapping one of the balls in a little box so that it was constantly hitting the walls and making the game play the collision sound, which crashed the entire audio part of the computer. Since the computer wasn't even trying to process audio anymore it was able to run Diablo smoothly.

Lol I used to disable the sound card in the device manager to get a few more fps. Bad times.

Vee_One

Lol I used to disable the sound card in the device manager to get a few more fps. Bad times.

Ah the good old days, some of my highlights include:
- playing Doom on low detail (Yes, Doom had a low detail setting)
- Finishing Quake 2 @ 320x240
- Not finishing Diablo 2 for years because my computer couldn't handle the last part of hell.
- not playing Quake 3 for years because of no 3d acceleration
- buying a 4 meg Voodoo 1 and then having my computer crap out after 6 months and refuse to recognise any 3d card.
- making boot disks
- not being able to play a game and listen to an MP3 at the same time

Honestly, I loved every minute of it and I wish every teenager could experience games that way. I genuinely treasure those moments of tweaking and sacrificing.

Hell, outside of buying a 970 I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 years and play nearly everything at 1440p 60fps.

Kids these days have no idea. I laugh whenever anyone complains about frame rate.

Gaming was better back then. I had absolutely no interest in consoles in the 90's and I played nearly every game shown here with the exception of the platformers. There were fanboys for sure but nothing like what you see now with sites like this. It was as much about the tech as it was the games. Getting that voodoo card or sound blaster was just a must.

Gaming was better back then. I had absolutely no interest in consoles in the 90's and I played nearly every game shown here with the exception of the platformers. There were fanboys for sure but nothing like what you see now with sites like this. It was as much about the tech as it was the games. Getting that voodoo card or sound blaster was just a must.

I can't claim to have played all of the games that the OP posted but I played many/most of them.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on everything else HocusPocus said - I remember getting a brand new P100 (or P120... Damn - can't remember!) with a brand spanking new Voodo 3dfx video card (that cost an insane $300+ at the time) for it along with a HUGE WHOPPING 16GB of RAM (or something like that - been too long!) to play Command & Conquer, Warcraft 2, Syndicate Wars, Mechwarrior 2, and of course, Quake.... in glorious 3D with that Voodoo that you do so well...

It really was about the tech just as much as the games - squeezing out any additional Mhz of performance or getting even another 2 MB of memory was a big deal. I remember building my own machines too - putting together an overclocked Pentium 4.

Had kids starting in late 1999 so money spent on that stuff started having to go towards children so I got out of it all for a while.

Thanks for the memories - I'm nostalgia-ing (is that a word?) kind of hard right now.

Probably. SLADE's multiplatform, right? Granted, I'd prefer GZDoomBuilder (which, contrary to its name, is also a perfectly fine vanilla Doom editor), but I'm pretty sure that's Windows-only.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, is there some sort of repository of information on the various retail releases of games? Like, let's say I'm trying to buy Diablo II or something, and I want to get the first edition with version 1.0. How do I know what to look for?

So, is there some sort of repository of information on the various retail releases of games? Like, let's say I'm trying to buy Diablo II or something, and I want to get the first edition with version 1.0. How do I know what to look for?

Not sure, but that is the best version to play if you go through as a necromancer. They decreased the damage on corpse explosion, making it pointless to use.

I wonder if I should bite... MAG Innovision MX17FG looks sweet (and has BNC connectors!).

I remember my old monitor I mentioned in the previous post had BNC connectors. Would that work with SCART RGB to BNC adapter like on PVMs and such? Would it work with the 15kHz signal of old game systems?

Daffy Duck

Honestly, I think I prefer TA over Star Craft. I wish I still had my disc for that game.

I have never seen Fallen Haven and have only seen Dark Colony in magazines back in the day. But yeah, there were a lot of C&C inspired RTS's in the mid to late '90s that became lost through time.

Though right now, I have been playing a lot of quick bouts of Red Alert 1 on my Win98 PC:

This is the RA95 version (that is included with the original disc) running at 640x480. There are some pretty good ways to play this on modern PC's like OpenRA, but playing the original game still seems like a hassle. One of my biggest problems with OpenRA is the last of a speed slider in Skirmish mode:

The game is still ridiculously fun when playing on the highest speed settings. Also the original CD soundtrack is still amazing.

How do you get these working on modern PCs?

I have all the original games and The First Decade and would love to revist these again now.

How do you get these working on modern PCs?

I have all the original games and The First Decade and would love to revist these again now.

Those screenshots of Red Alert came directly from my real Windows 98se PC.

Some of the C&C games are now legitimately free downloads thanks to EA and you can find them here: https://cncnet.org/download But I could have sworn that the "First Decade" collection were games that played on Origin?

One way to play the original RA is with OpenRA: http://www.openra.net/ which is an open source recreation of the original C&C engine. You could also try installing Windows 98 or Windows ME (preferably anything with the 9X Kernel) in a virtual machine and running the game through that (maybe?). But otherwise I am not sure what other ways you could try.

You could also try installing Windows 98 or Windows ME (preferably anything with the 9X Kernel)

I consider Windows Me an okay operating system, but 98 SE is definitely superior for gaming, especially after thorough updating, installing DirectX 9 and .NET Frameworks and using KernelEx.

Daffy Duck

Those screenshots of Red Alert came directly from my real Windows 98se PC.

Some of the C&C games are now legitimately free downloads thanks to EA and you can find them here: https://cncnet.org/download But I could have sworn that the "First Decade" collection were games that played on Origin?

One way to play the original RA is with OpenRA: http://www.openra.net/ which is an open source recreation of the original C&C engine. You could also try installing Windows 98 or Windows ME (preferably anything with the 9X Kernel) in a virtual machine and running the game through that (maybe?). But otherwise I am not sure what other ways you could try.

Cool, cheers for that. I have heard of OpenRA before but never given it a try.

I think I'll give it an install later and see how I get on.

It's such a minefield with all the different patched for all the different games, the ones I am bothered about playing are C&C Gold/Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun, then there will be RA2 and Yuri's Revenge.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man that shot of the Ultrabots box took me back with a VENGEANCE. Spent a lot of time playing that, desperate for what would be Mechwarrior 2.

lazygecko

OpenRA is not even remotely a 1:1 modern port, so it's not suitable for that if you're looking to replay the single player campaigns for instance, cause they're not fully implemented. The game balance is also severely altered to better accomodate multiplayer. OpenRA is better viewed as its own thing and it has a nice vibrant multiplayer community which is the main draw of the project.

If you want to play the old games accurately, there are unofficial fan patches made for them and the cncnet links should be refering to them.

For Tiberian Sun you should be using Tiberian Sun Client.

RA2 and YR are free now too? I never heard about that happening, aside from a time-limited deal on Origin.

RA1 and RA2 were given away for free from EA a long time ago... we're talking like 2009, 2010. They are still available on cncnet.org but were taken down off of EA's official C&C page.

Chinbo37

I remember a bunch of friends of mine were into Quake 1. They knew I played PC games too and invited me to a LAN party. I guess this was around 1997?

Now these kids were a bit more "rich" than me. I didnt have my own computer or anything. I just used my family's HP. It wasnt good but it could run Quake at low settings.

Anyways I came to the LAN party and everyone was making fun of my computer. Like 10 kids laughing at my setup lol. Then I was having some problems connecting to the LAN so one of the guys offered to help me and opened up the case and there was a HUGE dust ball like the size of a softball inside the computer. If you thought they were laughing before then they were all laughing a lot.

Anyways it was all in good fun and in the end our team was crushing capture the flag. We did a couple more LAN parties after that. Some of my most favorite memories.

HP P1130, yay or nay?

This particular monitor seems to support 2048 x 1536 native resolution at 75Hz but the factory default is 1920x1440 at 85Hz. But I think it is also possible to set this monitor to 120-150Hz in some resolutions as well. There is also a Dell variant of the P1130 as well, which is essentially just the same CRT.

Personally, if the price is right, I would pick one up.

Khaz

Got it for 50€. And it's majestic.

LxFW92u.jpg

(I won this game, I swear!)

I briefly tested the monitor by installing MSDOS 6.22 on a CF and booting from it. The install screen and prompt are 400p, and 200p games are superbly line doubled. It makes me wonder if it's possible to use a 15kHz monitor in MSDOS from a VGA video card? I know I can use an EGA card but I don't want to lose those glorious 256 colours.

LxFW92u.jpg

(I won this game, I swear!)

I briefly tested the monitor by installing MSDOS 6.22 on a CF and booting from it. The install screen and prompt are 400p, and 200p games are superbly line doubled. It makes me wonder if it's possible to use a 15kHz monitor in MSDOS from a VGA video card? I know I can use an EGA card but I don't want to lose those glorious 256 colours.

Yeah that looks pretty fantastic. The P1130 is a solid CRT monitor that looks great for just about anything from the 90's DOS era to Win 95/98 and Windows XP. It should be well suited for any of those PC configurations. The Dell/ HP branded monitors are generally very good in quality. I would love to stumble on something like this myself, as I am using a MAG branded CRT that is not particularly great. Far cry from some of the CRT's I had in the past.

This thread is absolutely killing me with nostalgia right now.

Just the shots of the full desktop setups. Windows 95 was the second coming of Christ when it came out, I always remember it.

Whoever's in this thread probably has some fond memories of this too:

windows-pinball-space-cadet.png

BTails

Kaz, that looks amazing. Makes me want to use real hardware for my retro PC gaming as well, but it's even less convenient than consoles!

Has there been any work on an MSDOS FPGA, maybe with modern USB capabilites to make installing games easier? I would love the equivalent of a 486 with a top-tier Soundblaster.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This thread is absolutely killing me with nostalgia right now.

Just the shots of the full desktop setups. Windows 95 was the second coming of Christ when it came out, I always remember it.

Whoever's in this thread probably has some fond memories of this too:

windows-pinball-space-cadet.png

I always thought Space Cadet pinball was kind of a bullshit pinball game. It was only fun when I was playing it at school when I was supposed to be working on something.

My favorite pinball game will probably always be Balls of Steel:

darkside.jpg

The physics feel right, the tables are well-designed, and there's a lot of cool stuff that you couldn't do with a real pinball table. Still a lot of fun, and it's like $6 on GOG.

Top Bottom