• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Bayonetta Pachislot game is in the works #BasedSega

Dremark

Banned
I'll stick my head out on this one. I don't really see what the issue with them doing a side project like this is, or mobile for that matter. They have different divisions and if they think a tie in like this will be profitable, why not go for it?

People flipped out about the Castlevania Pachislot, but it's the 4th in the series and I don't recall anyone complaining about the first 3.

People are unhappy with the way Konami is doing things and I completely understand that, I'm not happy with it either. Sega has certainly had it's issues but they aren't going down Konami's path. They do have a diversified business though, and what's wrong with that?

Anyway I don't see the big deal, Sega's far from perfect but I think this is the least of thier issues.

Dremark

Banned
It's more like a bunch of gamers disappointed that a damn good IP is wasted on gambling machines they don't give a fuck about.

You're acting like them making a Pachinko machine is stopping them from making more games in the franchise. Honestly I don't think Sega could even make a Bayonetta game right now if they wanted to, at least not if they were going to do it right. Platinum has so many projects it's working on I don't know how they are juggling them all.

Crocodile

If you are going to use that, it should be noted only Nintendo and Capcom remain unmerged with another publisher as far as I know... After all, Konami bought Hudson even. It's not really a measure of success or failure to have multiple companies merge or one company buying another. That's just what large companies do. It should be noted that Bandai Namco, Sega Sammy, Square Enix, and Konami have many other business outside of traditional console gaming. Sega Sammy and Konami has even seen success outside traditional console games.

My comment wasn't super clear but it was mostly a comment on the overall change in the Japanese videogame industry over the years in that a lot of companies had to combine to survive. Usually that doesn't happen if everything is going "A-Ok" so to speak.

I'll stick my head out on this one. I don't really see what the issue with them doing a side project like this is, or mobile for that matter. They have different divisions and if they think a tie in like this will be profitable, why not go for it?

People flipped out about the Castlevania Pachislot, but it's the 4th in the series and I don't recall anyone complaining about the first 3.

People are unhappy with the way Konami is doing things and I completely understand that, I'm not happy with it either. Sega has certainly had it's issues but they aren't going down Konami's path. They do have a diversified business though, and what's wrong with that?

Anyway I don't see the big deal, Sega's far from perfect but I think this is the least of thier issues.

Most people didn't even know about there being older Castlevania pachinko machines but if they pushed the "sex, sex, SEX!" narrative in the same way that the new one did I do think people would have complained about them if they knew. Again, I don't think anybody really object to the principle to using these IPs to make pachinko games but when said games seem to betray the spirit of the IP and/or are being made while the original IP is being actively mistreated, ignored or is actively dead as all the staff has left the company (as opposed to being in a temporary hiatus like say Metroid) I can understand the salt.

Game Guru

My comment wasn't super clear but it was mostly a comment on the overall change in the Japanese videogame industry over the years in that a lot of companies had to combine to survive. Usually that doesn't happen if everything is going "A-Ok" so to speak.

Many western entertainment industries have consolidated over the years as well. Consolidation is natural for mature businesses. Usually when things go bad for large companies, it's because smaller, more focused companies have begun eating the large companies' lunches by making their business models obsolete. In gaming, this is generally the indie and mobile developers, of which Sega and Konami are actually on the forefront along with Square Enix and Bandai Namco. Sega and Konami are healthy, only that they are healthy because of things that aren't dedicated console games.

PachiSlots / Pachinko games are really popular in Japan. If you are a salary man, and like to smoke it's the place to be.

There's been a ton of Evangelion Pachinko games. In fact when I told someone I liked Evangelion, they thought I meant the pachinko games.

The hate for them is a little justifiable in Konami's case as that's the only new releases for a lot of beloved franchises...but they aren't a new thing. I believe King of Fighters even had a pachinko game at one point. A lot of IPs get PachiSlots or Pachinko games.

BTW, there's even Mario-themed coin-pushers too.

Top Bottom