• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

Sadist

Yay, got this at a sale for € 24,99. And wow this game is fucking ace.

So pretty. It's like I turned eight again. Oooooh aaaaah

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm having a hard time getting into this game. Love the style, but everything else seems to cookie cutter. It's like Wayfroward is holding your hand throughout the game with all the signs. And changing blob between blob forms isn't intuitive enough. I think they could of made a better system for choosing which bean, and Blob lags behind big time. And no pointer controls for where you throw the beans is a big WTF in my book.

I am at level 22 but sadly I have to take it back to the store. I still think it is good, just not the greatness I was expecting. Maybe I'll pick it up again one day to finish the game. I'm hoping the challenge levels are a lot harder then the rest of the game.

Busaiku

Finally managed to finish this.

It was definitely a great game, and I loved the experience, but I feel as though it'll be hard to play through it again.
It certainly looked great, and the ending even got me a little choked up.

The trampoline challenge levels were really, really, really annoying though. The rest weren't anywhere near as bad, at least for me.
The boss battles themselves (mainly the 2nd and 4th) were also a little frustrating.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone, even though I will say I'm not about to replay it anytime soon.

AniHawk

Skiesofwonder said:
I'm having a hard time getting into this game. Love the style, but everything else seems to cookie cutter. It's like Wayfroward is holding your hand throughout the game with all the signs. And changing blob between blob forms isn't intuitive enough. I think they could of made a better system for choosing which bean, and Blob lags behind big time. And no pointer controls for where you throw the beans is a big WTF in my book.

I am at level 22 but sadly I have to take it back to the store. I still think it is good, just not the greatness I was expecting. Maybe I'll pick it up again one day to finish the game. I'm hoping the challenge levels are a lot harder then the rest of the game.

Normal levels are pretty much puzzle based. Challenge levels never have checkpoints, and they're way more based on skill and actual platforming. They were the strongest parts of the game for me.

AniHawk said:
Normal levels are pretty much puzzle based. Challenge levels never have checkpoints, and they're way more based on skill and actual platforming. They were the strongest parts of the game for me.
Agreed. The challenge levels live up to their name, and it felt so damn satisfying to beat the later ones. Including them was a nice balance to the puzzle elements of the main game

Busaiku said:
It was definitely a great game, and I loved the experience, but I feel as though it'll be hard to play through it again.
Also agreed. I don't usually let my collection go these days, but I traded it on Goozex while the value was still high. Fantastic game, but little to no replay value.

I picked this up at Sears for $9.97.

I got up to the second world last night and it was a lot of fun. I really hope the help signs go away as I progress because it sucks that puzzle solving joy from the game.

Sagitario

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I picked this up at Sears for $9.97.

I got up to the second world last night and it was a lot of fun. I really hope the help signs go away as I progress because it sucks that puzzle solving joy from the game.

They don't...

BTW, $10 is an excellent price :D

batbeg

Picked this up for 15 bucks and am adoring it thus far. Beat the first ten levels and their respective challenge levels. Really anticipating the more difficult levels, though some of the puzzles have already been nice.

Got it a while ago, started playing now. Currently on level 15.

Biggest complaint by far is having to use the stick for movement. Really annoying. Why!? Please tell me you can change it...

seady

Just started this game and it's awesome. It's a great example how incompetent the media is in reviewing games. This game is so similar to LIMBO but better, yet they only care to play LIMBO because it's been heavily marketed while totally ignored this game's existence.

AniHawk

seady said:
Just started this game and it's awesome. It's a great example how incompetent the media is in reviewing games. This game is so similar to LIMBO but better, yet they only care to play LIMBO because it's been heavily marketed while totally ignored this game's existence.

Yeah, I noticed the Limbo similarities as well.

Victrix

*beard*
Sagitario said:
Is Limbo good?

Decent. Fantastic atmosphere, very, very short.

Almost every puzzle is of the 'haha, got you' variety, where you die first, then figure out how to get past it. I can recall at least one example where the game even shows you how to do something, then kills you for doing it five steps later.

AniHawk

Victrix said:
Decent. Fantastic atmosphere, very, very short.

Almost every puzzle is of the 'haha, got you' variety, where you die first, then figure out how to get past it. I can recall at least one example where the game even shows you how to do something, then kills you for doing it five steps later.

That's a pretty accurate description.

I actually watched the whole thing on Youtube and felt I got around the same entertainment out of it if I played it. It's under 2 hours long if you can find it.

Olorin

I need to finish this some time. I'm somewhere at the start of world 3, but haven't played it in at least two months.
The visuals are absolutely lovely, but I thought everything else was a bit underwhelming. I really wonder why they didn't use the pointer at all, because it would make so much sense to use the pointer for selecting and throwing beans. And most of the 'transportation' blob forms don't controll well at all.

The level design has also been pretty bland so far, and having a bossfight where you die the very first second unless you use the correct bean is just stupid.
It's not exactly bad, but it just lacks a lot of polish. Still pretty to look at though :)

Slermy

seady said:

This game has hugs, that puts it a step above Limbo.

Actually while playing Limbo I started longing for my blobby friend. :D

seady

The one-hit-ko, the feel of the jumping mechanic, the charm - almost all of them are the same as Limbo.

Except Limbo is heavily about trial and error instead of smart level design, while A Boy & His Blob actually tests your puzzling skills through well thought-out levels, and a lot of gameplay mechanic (through the use of different beans) which Limbo heavily lacks.

I love the black and white color of Limbo as it creates great atmosphere, but when putting it against the artistic style of A Boy & His Blob, it feels a bit bland. (Blob has some moments using black and white too)

They are both great games, but I put Blob ahead of Limbo.

olimpia84

This thread bump reminds that I only played about 20/30 minutes and need to get back to it. From what I've read it's a short game which is fine with me considering the huge backlog I have =/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I still have to play this; I bought it for my sister for her birthday, and she enjoyed a few hours with it but its sat unplayed for a while...I should go dive in tonight, I'm not doing anything else.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I purchased this game at the beginning of the year and was looking forward to finishing it before the year was over....

Holy crap the fourth world is ANNOYING. Why are the levels soooo long? And difficult too! I was enjoying the game at its pace just fine until this last world. Right now I'm at the second to last level and I just feel like giving up. The puzzles are just annoying... I think after about the second world I felt like I've seen all that there is, and I just wanted the game to be over. Too much perhaps, I dunno.

I'm debating whether I should be a glutton for punishment and grind the game out to finish it (I'm so close) or just wise up and realize that I should use my precious gaming time for something that I actually enjoy... maybe I'll just watch a YouTube video solutions of the final levels and just finish it. Ugh, the game has become a real chore.

Top Bottom