• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda-zebra

Can't kill the hype! I'm still expecting this to be in my 8/10 range even with this weird ass animations.

I've talked to few colleagues who finished the game already (reviews etc) and none of them didn't notice anything like that so hopefully it's not so visible when you are playing.

See what you did there.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
ebfPrPx.gif

Coming up for air after burying his face in cocaine.

Hmm, pretty sure it was Frostbite 3

Edit: ahh, you edited? anyway, yeah, I don't see how early frostbite 3 would be better at the facial animations than frostbite 3 now though.
yeah, sorry, i got confused :p

couldn't remember if it was pre-pbr frostbite 3 or frostbite 2.

the engine has undergone a lot of changes since then tho, so whatever lip sync tech they were using might have been incompatible or had issues.

xealo

Wrong. Frostbite 3 is just a bad engine for such a game. It is great for Battlefield, but it is not the right choice for an RPG. They should have decided for Unreal Engine 4. Facial animations would look way better then.

It's a bioware problem, not a frostbite one. Frostbite is definitely capable of better than what Andromeda does with it in regards to animations.

IvorB

These problems seem like something PC modders can fix. Replacing the eye textures would go a long way to fixing some of these uncanny valley issues.

I don't think this in anything to do with uncanny valley. That occurs when animation/robots look and behave too similar to real human beings which isn't the case here.

ironcreed

Banned
Shinobi liked the game...

I am conflicted whether to pick this up day one...

I am thinking there are parts of it I will enjoy as well. But it's really looking like an incredibly unpolished patchwork quilt of varying degrees of quality at this point. I mean, the game is not even out yet and there is already a greatest hits compilation of absolutely woeful flaws that many budget games do not even suffer from. It's beyond the typical BioWare jank.

SomTervo

Played an hour or two earlier. Didn't notice anything particularly untoward graphically, except one enemy in the distance scooting across the battlefield.

Very strange game.

Woodchipper

I thought this was supposed to be like the best series in gaming or something? Did the original trilogy have animations this bad as well?

Considering a lot of people have said the start of the game isn't the best, I'm surprised EA let it be on ea access to begin with lol.

Reeeealy hoping the sum of its parts turns out good in the end.

Bioware what?! Holy shit. Most people are coming off Horizon and Zelda and were treated to this?!

I'll hold off on buying until I see reviews from gaffers.

Disappointed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The "my face is tired" clip should have delayed this game by a year really it is so bad. EA stands for Early Access again this year it seems.

Shinobi most likely has friends that he knows are on the cusp of studio closure.

neoglow

Banned

He had drinks with the devs, got the game early and is generally a fan of the series...

What's the chance of him slating the game on an open forum?

none

KevinG

I will be skipping Andromeda. This looks like an unpolished mess that I won't be capable of taking as seriously as I'd like to. I love Mass Effect, but this needed some more time in the oven.

Hopefully patches can brush up the details.

Jharp

Par for the course.

2705806-me3+running+animation+01.gif

I remember seeing this shit in the ME3 demo and thinking that it had to be some shitty placeholder hand-made animation and it'd be replaced by a proper mocapped animation in the full release. NOPE.

That fucking game was riddled with ridiculous looking shit.

It's like a Bioware B-team was given a AAA budget. It feels like a lot of money went into this game just not in the right places and not enough talent to pull off what they were aiming for.

It's not even their B team. It's their C team.

B team is handling Dragon Age while the A team is working on the new IP.

ironcreed

Banned
It's sad, but if you are honest with yourself, you really have to hold the grand return of a series like Mass Effect to a higher standard than some of the baffling stuff we are seeing here. I have been just as excited as anyone, but you have to call a spade a spade.

btags

A couple impressions from about half an hour I spent playing the trial yesterday. First, like everyone is saying, the faces look super plastic. Especially the father (Pathfinder). It looks like someone by accident bumped the specular on his face to max and never noticed the mistake. Either that or he has some terrible issue with sweating. Also, textures on faces are seemingly very low res, again, especially looking at the beard on the father.

I also started playing this game with my girlfriend, who I just recently went through the original trilogy with, and she immediately said something seemed wrong with the female Ryder's face. She said that she seems to always be smiling, and her chin always seems to be held up a little to high. This makes her look sort of clueless and inquisitive, and I guess they said they wanted this game to be a little more positive than the previous trilogy, but it really looks out of place when something dramatic is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom