• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A complete, 4k native Timesplitters 2 is included in Homefront: The Revolution. Including network play.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Matt Phillips said:
My proudest moment. Fully playable, native 4K port of TimeSplitters 2 hidden in this arcade machine in Homefront: The Revolution.

It's probably about time this small fact came out, too: I ported the network stack to ride on top of HF:TR's co-op mode. If, and that's a big if, anyone was able to hack two or more arcades into one of the co-op maps, it'll boot to the multilayer menu.I dunno how feasible that is though, since it's all server authoritative and they never offered dedicated servers.

It's also a very janky prototype. One TimeSplitters byte == one CryEngine packet. But for a 2003 game that's probably not a lot of traffic today. I think there were two multiplayer maps hidden in there.

Soodanim

I think the new news is that the full game is in there. You can only currently play 2 levels but the data for the whole game is in the files and there's a code to access it but nobody knows what it is anymore.

Dude must still have it then, you just chuck something like that away

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm surprised this wasn't talked about more when the game was newer. That's both pretty wild and beyond impressive.

I'm shocked they haven't done more with that IP. Lord knows a lot of people would love to see it come back.

I'm shocked they haven't done more with that IP. Lord knows a lot of people would love to see it come back.
Unfortunately, Dambuster Studios (formerly Free Radical) is currently working on Dead Island 2, so I don't think we'll see Timesplitters 4 anytime soon, unless the publisher gives it to another studio for some reason.

Also, I did a little research and I found this interesting quote about why Timesplitters 4 wasn't greenlit years ago:
“Secondly, their marketing person would say something along the lines of, 'I don't know how to sell this.' The unanimous opinion among all publishers that we pitched TimeSplitters 4 to is that you can't market a game that is based around a diverse set of characters ..."
Which is hilarious because, in 2021, publishers are chomping at the bit for such diversity lmao

MiguelItUp

Unfortunately, Dambuster Studios (formerly Free Radical) is currently working on Dead Island 2, so I don't think we'll see Timesplitters 4 anytime soon, unless the publisher gives it to another studio for some reason.

Also, I did a little research and I found this interesting quote about why Timesplitters 4 wasn't greenlit years ago:

Which is hilarious because, in 2021, publishers are chomping at the bit for such diversity lmao
Really? I didn't even realize that. That's a shame, Dead Island 2 may as well be vaporware at this point. Not to mention, by the time it releases, if it ever does, I'm not sure it'll be work the development hell its been through. But I could be wrong, would be nice if I was.

Yeah, no kidding. That sounds like bologna, lmao.

JonSnowball

Shortly after they acquired the franchise they included this in a press release: "Last year Deep Silver acquired the much-loved TimeSplitters IP. We’re delighted to announce that one of the series’ creators, Steve Ellis, has joined us to help plot the future course for this franchise."

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Never knew this and I used to play this game quite often back there. Not that I know what is this game either.

Actually i really think this game is very underrated, and have said the same on here before.
People tend to judge it from the state it was in at launch, but its been improved so much since then.

Nah, not close chump. The problems with the game goes beyond the state. The game could be more fun if have more variety of weapons, better controls, better weapon recoil(feel like all weapons in this game has a terrible shaking) and if the game wouldn't spawn enemies in front of you often and whatnot. All that with the poor performance(and I'm not a tech guy fetish, I'm only saying that because it really spoils my gameplay).
I played this game long before, is a worse version of Far Cry. Being akin to Far Cry was actually one of reasons I pick this game at time, the control fortress type of game is fun imo.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
zRfL66S.jpg
ec4E8G3.jpg
4EkDPW5.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People still play this shit, Timesplitters 2? Homefront is a shit game, but that game is 10x worse. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Just let them die, both.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As much as I love Timesplitters. Holup bruddah.
All in good fun Bo.

I'm allergic to old games, the older the gen the worse. :lollipop_downcast_sweat: That's why I get rid of all my consoles and games going forward.

I still have the Sega Game Gear and never played on it since 1990's. Looking at it from time to time and flipping it and reading "Made in Japan" makes me smile.

Last edited:
I'm allergic to old games, the older the gen the worse. :lollipop_downcast_sweat: That's why I get rid of all my consoles and games going forward.

I still have the Sega Game Gear and never played on it since 1990's. Looking at it from time to time and flipping it and reading "Made in Japan" makes me smile.
OK, you SHOULD REALLY be banned now.
jk, lol.

I get what you mean. I am usually the same but some games are just that good.

Also god damn it @SpongebobSquaredance :D

Stuart360

lol i struggle with PS1/N64 era games today, can just about play Xbox/PS2/gamecube games today at higher resolution on emulators, and i'm perfectly fine playing 360/PS3 level games today.
In fact i still think some 360/PS3 games look good.

Dr.Morris79

It says in that guide that the Neo Tokyo level crashes the game, has anyone confirmed this?

Bit shit if it's bumming out like that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
lol i struggle with PS1/N64 era games today, can just about play Xbox/PS2/gamecube games today at higher resolution on emulators, and i'm perfectly fine playing 360/PS3 level games today.
In fact i still think some 360/PS3 games look good.

I struggle to play most of PS4 games now actually, I struggle to revisit any game I've beaten as well in the same gen. GOW 2018 is my best game ever, never played it since 2018. Unless I've missed a massive game I would rather enjoy banter in GAF or do something else.

Also Homefront: The Revolution happens to be one of my worst games on PS3!

JonSnowball

This video shows perfectly how the modern way of aiming doesn't work with TimeSplitters 2.
Having tried TimeSplitters 2 in Homefront The Revolution I'm inclined to say I had a better experience with this Dolphin emulation setup with mousehook : https://github.com/CrashOveride95/MouseInjectorDolphin
I completed both TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect using the above package and while not perfect at times, especially during segments of Future Perfect, it was serviceable and controlled well for the most part...of course, you'll require dumps of your legally owned copies of TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect for GameCube.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Having tried TimeSplitters 2 in Homefront The Revolution I'm inclined to say I had a better experience with this Dolphin emulation setup with mousehook : https://github.com/CrashOveride95/MouseInjectorDolphin
I completed both TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect using the above package and while not perfect at times, especially during segments of Future Perfect, it was serviceable and controlled well for the most part...of course, you'll require dumps of your legally owned copies of TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect for GameCube.
It definitely works much better with a mouse... but modern two stick controls just feel off in TimeSplitters 2 (TimeSplitters Future Perfect works fine though) because it is way too slow.

Kupfer

Did somebody try Homefront on the PS5?
Does it perform > 30fps (without updates like The last Guardian maybe?)

Top Bottom