• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
so that's.... (in head)
around 62,000 yen or so.
It's funny how people can see that as expensive then turn around and throw around the same amount of money on a tablet - for JUST the hardware (speaking in general - not posters here of course).
Also reminds me why I find tablets so poor value - but I digress. Getting older I find it harder and harder to spend time in front of television for certain types of games, so whether there's genre overlap or not, handheld works for me.

I don't find the cards outrageously priced though - for proprietary format, it could always be worse.
For context:
16GB
32GB
32GB 2

Now Sony cards may not perform anywhere near that level(though for Vita needs, they'd do well to hit at least 30-40MB range) - but there's a giant gulf(at least 10x) of difference between your no-name Class4 Card and Sandisk branded high-performance.

That always makes me giggle.

Best selling 3DS game atm? Zelda, an once console game
Best selling DS game? New Super Mario Bros, a once console game
Best selling PSP game? Monster Hunter, a once console game

This is a good post.

I completely agree. My best hand held experiences have brought the console experience to the portable market.

Nothing on the flaws list really bothers me all that much, except the nonreplaceable battery. I think it is a completely understandable price for the system + memory considering how nice the system is. I probably won't early adopt though. The games just don't interest me yet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
what was wrong with M2? I have a 16GB one sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Small, presumably provides some level of DRM/protection as its the follow up to memory stick with magicgate.

whats so magical about this new format other than 'its a new format'?

I do not know, what's so common and uninteresting about this new format that makes it "oh well, why couldn't you just use an M2 stick?" then? We do not know the answer to either, but we could give Sony the benefit of doubt here.

As I said, there was a better solution, built-in storage + normal M2 stick, but since built-in storage is out of the question for the first model at least, it is not impossible to think that greed is not the only reason for the choice they took (if you want to assume that greed took a minor or massive part to it or a part at all).

All these VITA issues are beginning to be a real PITA for my possible pre-order.

I may have to cancel my pre-order before I pre-order.

New Super Mario Bros. was a handheld game first. Unless you're referring to the original NES Mario, in which case NES titles are now more closely related to "handheld" experiences rather than what we consider to be a console experience these days.

2D sidescrolling Mario was a home console franchise at that point. It still is mostly.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Getting older I find it harder and harder to spend time in front of television for certain types of games, so whether there's genre overlap or not, handheld works for me.

you and me both, buddy! :)

I'm moving a lot of gaming into the handheld space. Child just eats up most time, and if not the child, work.

So commute/lunchtime gaming is where it's at - which is why the Vita being a bit meatier is what's exciting about it.

DCharlie

Sony seem to be fairly low key on pushing the Vita at the moment - demo booths have popped up now but with , like, two machines :/

pramath

Banned
Well, it seems one of the biggest flaws of the system- the Memory Card prices- might be pre-emptively addressed by Sony. What are your opinions GAF?

Joni

Only one account per system: This one actually negates one of the big advantages that the Vita had over the 3DS- but only one account can be registered per Vita system. This means that you and your brother can't share a Vita, this means that you can't have multple accounts to get around region restrictions, this basically means that you are account locked onto your unit. Again, not a deal breaker, but a bit of a puzzling decision.
This one got jossed by Sony. One account per memory card, not one account per system. Switch accounts => switch memory cards.

More importantly: very small buttons. Square/Triangle/Cross/Circle are very small compared to DualShock3/PSP buttons. It was a bit uncomfortable.

Riddick

After DCharlie's failed attempts to bump the troll thread now the OP did it again with info we already have a thread about.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Could've at least linked to the other thread with the first bump...

DCharlie

okay, so i guess this is as good a place as any for actual issues :

Specifically - the issues for OS Screen capture :

>> Not universal, it can be blocked by publishers/devs at scene level (i.e. have certain parts of games uncapturable - Mahjong FC does this) and at game level (i.e. no captures from start to finish - UMvC and Disgaea 3 do this)

>> Notification of photo save covers too much screen realestate obscuring the view of the game in progress. The games do not pause, they continue running, so if you want to take an in action shot and continue playing your view will be obscured.

>> Button press to get screen capture is fiddly. Home button and Start - both are going to have their regular function so there's a window where the double press works.

>> Some games cut all controls whilst screen shot is taken meaning it's effectively a game over in some cases when you want to capture that "cool" moment (Ridge Racer cuts all inputs so your car grinds to a halt whilst the race continues)

Will bitch about other things later, i promise :)

AwShucks

>> Not universal, it can be blocked by publishers/devs at scene level (i.e. have certain parts of games uncapturable - Mahjong FC does this) and at game level (i.e. no captures from start to finish - UMvC and Disgaea 3 do this)

>> Notification of photo save covers too much screen realestate obscuring the view of the game in progress. The games do not pause, they continue running, so if you want to take an in action shot and continue playing your view will be obscured.

>> Button press to get screen capture is fiddly. Home button and Start - both are going to have their regular function so there's a window where the double press works.

>> Some games cut all controls whilst screen shot is taken meaning it's effectively a game over in some cases when you want to capture that "cool" moment (Ridge Racer cuts all inputs so your car grinds to a halt whilst the race continues)

Are you seriously complaining about an OS level screen capture feature? Does any other console/handheld have anything like that?

DCharlie

Are you seriously complaining about an OS level screen capture feature? Does any other console/handheld have anything like that?

It's not a critical flaw by any stretch of the imagination - but it -is- a pain if it doesn't quite work when it's such a nice feature.

so yes, i'm serious about listing complaints - i'm being as picky as i possibly can at this point, any fan should be in this mode :)

- J - D -

Did Sony ever mention this being a feature at all before launch? It's a nice surprise, but I guess you can complain about it.

patsu

If Sony simply throw an OS feature at us without considering UI issues *again*, then yes we can and should complain about them. In fact, we should send these shortfalls to Sony's Software Division #2 leads and cc: to Kaz Hirai and Andrew House.

EDIT: andriasang has the names of the VPs in charge of Software Division 2.

DCharlie

Did Sony ever mention this being a feature at all before launch? It's a nice surprise, but I guess you can complain about it.

yeah, as i say, it's not a critical feature - but moaning about stuff that's so so close to being great is an early adopter duty. Firmware updates give plenty of scope for fixing this sort of thing so the more noise there is the better no matter how minor the issue

Oppo

Are you seriously calling him out on criticizing a poor implementation of a feature?

I will. Those complaints are quite silly.

Publisher's rights - Sony legally can't deny this really.

Large screenshot confirmation - absurd

"fiddly" button - super nitpick

dying when you take the shot - you've paused anyways, same goes for Wipeout et. al

Plus it's launch. So yeah, I think it's a bit churlish and more than a little silly.

Mxrz

Didn't even have to look at post history. Heh.

The memory cards are the only issue I have, but I guess they have their reasons for that price. Maybe not great ones, but yeah.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

so you're saying it's less crappy than ps3! :D

DCharlie

Publisher's rights - Sony legally can't deny this really.

Agreed that's probably the crux and it's more likely it should be a vent at the publishers.

dying when you take the shot - you've paused anyways, same goes for Wipeout et. al

No - completely different. The game DOES NOT PAUSE. The game continues running in real time, but in a few games your controls are cut so that effective ends your game (especially in a racing game like ridge where you cant steer or accelerate) . Again, i'm not about to make this somehting it's not because for me personally it's not a massive deal, but i think it's big enough to warrant mentioning.

Plus it's launch. So yeah, I think it's a bit churlish and more than a little silly.

Not at all - you fix problems by identifying them and removing them. I don't see what's particularly silly about it. This is the first batch in a long list of complaints, this could get quite interesting! ;)

Large screenshot confirmation - absurd

"fiddly" button - super nitpick

i'm guessing the large screenshot "absurd" comment is because you missed that the game does not pause when you take the screen shot. It continues running. So in Ridges case, you can't steer, accelerate, or see a large chunk of the screen even though the game is still running (!) Other games DO allow input, so not sure why Ridge (and Musou) cut inputs.

Fiddly button press - that's probably from a full day of screen shotting but it did become a royal pain in the arse.

domlolz

Banned
wow, I didn't even know about 'no onboard memory even though it's required' stuff, that's shit, super shit. And indefensible.

I played with hotshots golf on the PSVita today at Grapevine mills mall in Texas. I was fairly impressed with the high resolution touch screen, but the game itself looked no where near the quality of a PS3 game. And for hotshots golf at least, the touch pad on the back of the system was just a gimmicky way to line up your shot. The back touch pad is stil pretty neat though, and I'm sure games in the future will make better use of it.

DCharlie

I wonder which of the four horsemen dcharlie represents

XFaminE

Another one to add - this one a little more serious.

Had a hard system lock up this morning on the way to work. The system shut down and would NOT restart, no power at all and my assumption was that the system was bricked/dead.

Held down the power button for a few minutes, nothing. Tried everything. Then DJMizuhara messages to suggest putting the USB charger cable in and then trying to power on.

And, cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for 40 minutes, the system came back to life with the USB cable in and the usual tap of the on button. Note that the USB cable was NOT attached to any active charger or anything like that. It was simply inserted into the USB connector slot. Weird, but fine.

So - no. 1 : Carry a USB charging cable for now, no. 2 : another funky firmware quibble?

Seems there's a few bugs in the OS at the moment - mainly minor but still.

bon

This is a good post.

I completely agree. My best hand held experiences have brought the console experience to the portable market.

When people say they don't want a "console experience" on a handheld, I think what they mean is they don't want highly cinematic games like Uncharted. They don't literally mean that console franchises as a whole can never work on handhelds.

RPGamer92

Banned
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know if Vita online can connect to WPA-2 connections? PSP couldn't so I was wondering if Sony fixed that with Vita

DCharlie

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know if Vita online can connect to WPA-2 connections? PSP couldn't so I was wondering if Sony fixed that with Vita

oh! this IS a good question. Will see if i can find a way to test as it annoyed me with the PSP

NHDave

Yeah, the memory cards are expensive and that is the only issue for me..... but I love Hots Shots Golf so everything else is just gravy........

NHDave

I played with hotshots golf on the PSVita today at Grapevine mills mall in Texas. I was fairly impressed with the high resolution touch screen, but the game itself looked no where near the quality of a PS3 game. And for hotshots golf at least, the touch pad on the back of the system was just a gimmicky way to line up your shot. The back touch pad is stil pretty neat though, and I'm sure games in the future will make better use of it.

So HSG Out of Bounds looks better on the PS3? than HSG 6 on the Vita???

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
i would see a thread like this for the 3ds....must be longer than the lotr!

Top Bottom