• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

KAL2006

Banned
I personally think Vita is the best designed hardware I have seen in a long time. The only negative I can think of is that it doesn't come with on board memory and you cannot use multiple accounts without formatting.

Other negatives such as battery life and no UMD support I can understand. People complain about battery life but we have to remember battery tech hasn't improved as much lately so it's either low battery or lower the horsepower of the Vita. I preffer the Vita with the power it has now, besides I play don't play handhelds outside for more than 3 hours anyway, plus you can get one of those battery packs to extend the battery life. The other negative about not having backwards compatibility for UMD's is silly, it was obvious UMDs was a mistake, why make Vita a shittier system by adding a UMD slot just to make some PSP gamers happy.

All in all Vita is looking to be a great system, it has incredible graphics and dual analog support which can give you traditional console game experience on your handheld, PSP suffered from this because it lacked dual analog controls, it was more of a half step with PSP, but with Vita they took it all the way.

It has AR, touchscreen, back touch, mic and etc for unique expereriences which PSP was lacking. DS had tons of these unique games now we can see these types of games coming to Vita with games like LittleDeviants, EEA, Sound Shapes, Reality fighters and Escape Plan. Even traditional games are getting unique features which differentiate them from console versions such as LittleBigPlanet and Modnation.

The digital push seems even better than PS3/360, with every retail game being available for download. Not only that but we should be getting different price range of games such as PSN type games, retail games and PS Suite games (basically the new Mini's).

Cross compatibility is another feature that makes me happy I own a PS3. Some games such as Ruin and MotorStorm RC, you will only need to buy once and you can play it on either Vita or PS3. Of course this is not the case with every game. Lets not forget Mini's, PSP digital games will also be compatible with Vita. Finally PS1 classics will also be suported which is nice, unlike 3DS where you have to purchase a new set of VC games (the ones from Wii are not transferable).

Online integration seems like it has been taken to the next level, with you being able to use the same PSN account from PS3 on Vita, keeping your friends list and trophies intact. I don't want to get into online stuff too much as there is so much, but one thing I will comment on is how I like some games having cross online compatability with PS3 players playing with Vita players.

There are other positives for Vita such as using cartridges and also the sexy OLED 5" screen.

Nope.
I knew VITA wouldn't have the UMD drive, but how about some kind of proof of purchase (or just sending them the damn UMD disc) and you can download the thing for no charge?

Goddamnit. :{

This logic baffles me.

You bought the game for your psp. It was not meant to work on your vita.

If you SNES cart for chrono trigger broke, you don't go to nintendo and say "take my copy and give me a download code."

Doesn't make any sense.

pramath

Banned
Uncharted tends to flow in a chunk of gameplay + short cutscene, with several of these through a level.

Would not be surprised if Golden Abyss has designed these 'chunks' to be shorter for burst-y play.

On a side note, with 'big' games with more complex threads, I've always wondered why there isn't a universal 'catch-up' feature - whereby the user could watch a short 15-30 second catch-up of key things they last did in the game. Just to jog memory and help you pick up the threads of the game again. Kind of like those stones in OoT 3D, but looking into the past instead of the future.

That feature was used in Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen

Kyoufu

This thread is kinda sad. Reminds me of PSP vs DS fanboy wars back in 2004.

"bububu nobody wants console experiences on the go"

That feature was used in Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen
Kind of sucks that they never brought it back. It felt like you were coming back to a TV show, "Previously on your Pokemon Adventure!"

Diamond and Pearl did the whole journal thing, but I didn't really care for it.

With suspend I don't see that they aren't pick up and play in short burst. I'm playing that psp Trails in the Sky game a the moment only 5-15 minutes at a time yet it is a long RPG. I'm playing Saints Row 3 at the moment and the lack of a true pc like save state is holding me back a bit and I end up just rampaging around before quitting because I know I won't have enough time to get to a mission then spend 20 minutes doing it. Suspend means you can just pick up where you were instantly, which is what a full save state can also do as well just with some down time for loading.

I do that too with, for example, Persona 3 (I LOVE the PSP sleep mode), but some people don't seem to like playing anything other than racers, puzzles or sports on their portables.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Preferring the 3DS games line up I understand, but preferring the 3DS hardware to Vita hardware is lol worthy.
Vita is the best handheld of its size, just as 3DS is the best handheld of its size. Different design purposes.

KAL2006

Banned
Vita is the best handheld of its size, just as 3DS is the best handheld of its size. Different design purposes.

No 3DS is one of the most awfully designed hardware I have ever seen. So many terrible choices in design, coming from the DS. With the DS it had the 2 screens going for it with the bottom being touch. It was very unique. With 3DS you have a design abomination, the top screen is bigger than the bottom screen so holding in book view isn't as good as DS. Because both screens are not the same size we won't see that many vertical games that make use of both screens. Also because the top screen is bigger we won't have as many games that touch the game environments, because developers would rather focus on the bigger 3D screen for all the action to take place rather than the touch screen. The system is also not symetrical like DS, so left handers get shafted, also not having dual analogs was a terrible mistake and the point has been proven by Nintendo announcing an add on to rectify the mistake. The screens are also low in resolution in comparison to most handheld devices in this day and age. The D Pad is tiny and in an awkward place. The online infrastructure is still not up to scratch and the digital store also doesn't as much to offer.

No 3DS is one of the most awfully designed hardware I have ever seen. So many terrible choices in design, coming from the DS. With the DS it had the 2 screens going for it with the bottom being touch. It was very unique. With 3DS you have a design abomination, the top screen is bigger than the bottom screen so holding in book view isn't as good as DS. Because both screens are not the same size we won't see that many vertical games that make use of both screens. Also because the top screen is bigger we won't have as many games that touch the game environments, because developers would rather focus on the bigger 3D screen for all the action to take place rather than the touch screen. The system is also not symetrical like DS, so left handers get shafted, also not having dual analogs was a terrible mistake and the point has been proven by Nintendo announcing an add on to rectify the mistake. The screens are also low in resolution in comparison to most handheld devices in this day and age. The D Pad is tiny and in an awkward place. The online infrastructure is still not up to scratch and the digital store also doesn't as much to offer.

Wow. Why do you seem so downright angry about this?

Clicks all threads made by the TC...not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

My big gripe is having no on board memory and not being able to play some games without one, I'm waiting for a price drop for that reason.

KAL2006

Banned

Not angry at all just making my point why I think the 3DS is a terrible bit of hardware. But in the end it's the games that matter and I am really enjoying both Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 right now, I just wished the 3DS was a better bit of hardware, the Vita seems to be my dream handheld and hopefully more great games get announced for it, though the launch window of games seem really good for the Vita, but I still one to know what Vita will have in the distant future. So it is best to judge games line up for both systems when we are at least a year into the systems life.

Lothars

This is my central issue.

I don't have a lot of PSP games, but I just got the FFIV Collection about a month ago. My launch PSP died and I figured instead of repairing it (if that's even possible), I'd just wait to get a VITA, transfer the saves from the memory stick, etc.

Nope.
I knew VITA wouldn't have the UMD drive, but how about some kind of proof of purchase (or just sending them the damn UMD disc) and you can download the thing for no charge?

Goddamnit. :{

I don't see how this is a big issue at least they are going to offer an alternative but yes you shouldn't get the games for free digitally but if they still do offer a way to buy digital copies for a reasonable fee than that's how it should be.

slipknot2009

Neo Member

This.

It's also two entirely different markets. The Vita is for people who want to essentially have a portal next gen system.

Personally, when I tried it I didn't notice many flaws. My big fear was going from controller to touchscreen, but there was no noticeable lag when playing Uncharted. It is very impressive hardware and I don't think it can be compared with the 3Ds.

Doesn't mean we couldn't hope for a better solution. A mail in system would have been clunky (and probably not worth it to Sony) but it would also have been nice for the psp owner.

Only in someone's pipe dreams would anyone actually think this would happen though. Not only would it be a huge logistical task to get this set up worldwide, costing Sony millions, but what would they even do with those UMDs once people have traded them in? Dump them in a ditch ala ET?

The only real alternative to the service they've come up with (which will hopefully make its way outside Japan) was for Sony to do absolutely nothing. And doing that probably would've resulted in a lot less criticism, seeing as the issue rarely came up until it was announced (because people had already gotten their moaning out of the way when the Go came out).

I personally think Vita is the best designed hardware I have seen in a long time. The only negative I can think of is that it doesn't come with on board memory and you cannot use multiple accounts without formatting.

Other negatives such as battery life and no UMD support I can understand. People complain about battery life but we have to remember battery tech hasn't improved as much lately so it's either low battery or lower the horsepower of the Vita. I preffer the Vita with the power it has now, besides I play don't play handhelds outside for more than 3 hours anyway, plus you can get one of those battery packs to extend the battery life. The other negative about not having backwards compatibility for UMD's is silly, it was obvious UMDs was a mistake, why make Vita a shittier system by adding a UMD slot just to make some PSP gamers happy.

All in all Vita is looking to be a great system, it has incredible graphics and dual analog support which can give you traditional console game experience on your handheld, PSP suffered from this because it lacked dual analog controls, it was more of a half step with PSP, but with Vita they took it all the way.

It has AR, touchscreen, back touch, mic and etc for unique expereriences which PSP was lacking. DS had tons of these unique games now we can see these types of games coming to Vita with games like LittleDeviants, EEA, Sound Shapes, Reality fighters and Escape Plan. Even traditional games are getting unique features which differentiate them from console versions such as LittleBigPlanet and Modnation.

The digital push seems even better than PS3/360, with every retail game being available for download. Not only that but we should be getting different price range of games such as PSN type games, retail games and PS Suite games (basically the new Mini's).

Cross compatibility is another feature that makes me happy I own a PS3. Some games such as Ruin and MotorStorm RC, you will only need to buy once and you can play it on either Vita or PS3. Of course this is not the case with every game. Lets not forget Mini's, PSP digital games will also be compatible with Vita. Finally PS1 classics will also be suported which is nice, unlike 3DS where you have to purchase a new set of VC games (the ones from Wii are not transferable).

Online integration seems like it has been taken to the next level, with you being able to use the same PSN account from PS3 on Vita, keeping your friends list and trophies intact. I don't want to get into online stuff too much as there is so much, but one thing I will comment on is how I like some games having cross online compatability with PS3 players playing with Vita players.

There are other positives for Vita such as using cartridges and also the sexy OLED 5" screen.

I like this post a lot.

While I don't think it needed on board memory, they should have included a 1 or 2gb stick. And the account thing I'm going to bet is not on Sony but publishers.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of minging about the battery life but it's not designed to be taken on our trip to the Grand Canyon with Ma and Pa Kettle. It's for people in japan who play it maybe 30minutes to an hour on their commute to and from work, where they will probably plug it into the wall like they do their cell phones every time they get near an outlet.

Gravijah

the funny thing is that handhelds have had "console experiences" since the very beginning.

A lot of minging about the battery life but it's not designed to be taken on our trip to the Grand Canyon with Ma and Pa Kettle. It's for people in japan who play it maybe 30minutes to an hour on their commute to and from work, where they will probably plug it into the wall like they do their cell phones every time they get near an outlet.

the battery life sucks. it sucks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like this post a lot.

While I don't think it needed on board memory, they should have included a 1 or 2gb stick. And the account thing I'm going to bet is not on Sony but publishers.

A simple 200 MB of onboard memory would have been incredibly cheap and taken care of the game-saving issue. It's ludicrous that it isn't there.

Izayoi

Banned
The battery life is fucking awful.

Not an issue for someone like me who almost never plays handhelds outside of the house, but it sucks for people who do (and if I ever go on a trip or vacation).

It would be more excusable if you could change the battery yourself, but that's not even an option, so if you're somewhere without a power outlet for any extended period of time you're essentially fucked.

johnsmith

remember me
The op lists all the reasons I won't be buying a vita at launch. No tv out is the biggest drawback for me. I'll wait for a revision or price drop.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

haha, well that's a minefield for Nintendo fans now so they can't use it!

"NOBODY WANTS CONSOLE EXPERIENCES ON THE GO... except if that console experience was originally on the N64! Vita stuff is TOO NEW! *hides Resident evil, Ridge, DOA, SF4 etc*"

On Battery life : waiting to see what the real world performance is - i moaned about the PSP when it came out , but that could be negated by having what was basically a "mexican bullet belt" of replacable batteries for long journeys. However, i got fairly good battery life (3-4 hours) so on a day to day basis it was fine.

the 3DS -does my f*cking head in- in regards to battery life. if you don't switch off the wifi and close the clamshell, then it's a case of looking in your bag a little later on and seeing the red light of "no fun for you". I'm too used to throwing the DS in there and not having to worry about charge for 2-3 days. However, i guess this is mainly my fault and the annoyance is more out of expected levels of battery life on a Nintendo machine usually being hhuuuuuuuuuuge.

No replacable battery on the PSV is a huge pain in the arse as it takes away your ability to dictate the battery life by throwing Yens at it. Will try the portable charger to see how long it extends the life.

OP - please add - non-replacable battery as a negative.

Duxxy3

I keep thinking about canning my paid in full pre-order but i would just end up with a ton of store credit and then a simple question comes to mind...

What would i do with $270 in store credit? I already have the one console i care about. I don't care to own a 3DS again. I played the majority of 2011 games i wanted to play, the rest i can just rent at the red box down the road.

And that's when i just say "screw it" and just keep the pre-order. It may not be a perfect system but there isn't anything coming out.

sajj316

The op lists all the reasons I won't be buying a vita at launch. No tv out is the biggest drawback for me. I'll wait for a revision or price drop.

Isn't this supposed to be a portable device? A revision or a price drop? It's not much of a draw back if it's cheaper is what I get from this post, no?

Maybe I'm the extreme minority here but I've never understood the allure of connecting a portable device to your TV and treating it like another console. Sorry if it seems like I'm digging in with a pitchfork here .. I really don't understand it.

haha, well that's a minefield for Nintendo fans now so they can't use it!

"NOBODY WANTS CONSOLE EXPERIENCES ON THE GO... except if that console experience was originally on the N64! Vita stuff is TOO NEW! *hides Resident evil, Ridge, DOA, SF4 etc*"
The funny stuff is that even GameBoy was full of console-like experience, with 4 hour games that didn't allow to save, etc.

That always makes me giggle.

Best selling 3DS game atm? Zelda, an once console game
Best selling DS game? New Super Mario Bros, a once console game
Best selling PSP game? Monster Hunter, a once console game

Gravijah

going back to the original game boy

tetris? a port of a pc/console game.

link's awakening? a link to the past in pocket form.

etc

Sianos

Post history takes the challenge out of DetectiveGAF. True detectives keep a handy dandy notebook filled with everyone's opinions and detailed notes on personality traits and phobias!

Having a thread only to discuss flaws justs makes you look biased. You raise some good points (overpriced memory and one account a system), but you are nitpicking a bit and didn't list any of the many pros.

In my opinion both the 3DS and Vita are amazing handhelds with their own unique games and pros and cons. But that's a boring view.

Lain

One account thing and backward compatibility are the things that most annoy me.
Considering I avoid buying DD software unless I must (or a game I missed on or wouldn't otherwise consider is cheap enough), and that what I have is divided between EU and US accounts, the pita to switch accounts on VITA is a serious problem.
Backward compatibility is another big annoyance. The simple idea that I have to rebuy the same software (made for a specific piece of hardware) I already own, again, to be able to keep playing it on a backward compatible system is just baffling.

Memory cards prices aren't good, but I can swallow down 29 or how much it is for a 4GB card. I paid 50€ or so for a 2GB card I use on my PSP, and that was after years I kept going on the 32MB stick the PSP came with.
Same with the battery life, I use my handheld console at home, so battery life is not too much of a concern. As long as it lasts enough when I'm on the can, I'm good.

I'll still get a VITA, but I'm seriously questioning if it'll be day 1 or later down the line.

Gravijah

Backward compatibility is another big annoyance. The simple idea that I have to rebuy the same software (made for a specific piece of hardware) I already own, again, to be able to keep playing it on a backward compatible system is just baffling.

but that absolutely had to be done, because umds are absolutely shit. though if you had bought them digitally, you wouldn't have this problem. plus, with how things are going, if bc is important to you, you should definitely start buying things digitally.

thuway

Agreed Brother Kal2006.

Lain

but that absolutely had to be done, because umds are absolutely shit. though if you had bought them digitally, you wouldn't have this problem. plus, with how things are going, if bc is important to you, you should definitely start buying things digitally.

I disagree. It didn't have to be done specifically this way. They could have done it differently without resorting to including a UMD drive inside every VITA.
This was just the most convenient way for Sony and the publishers, but it doesn't help me much since I own 31 (32 once Hakuoki LE is out) physical PSP games and 11 (12 once Corpse Party is out in Europe) DD games.
Going forward I'll grab some more DD titles, especially if publishers do some more sales or price drops, but it still sucks for me (and if I add the single account feature, it becomes even more annoying for me, given of those 11 titles, the split is 4 from IT PSN and 7 from NA PSN).

Apath

New Super Mario Bros. was a handheld game first. Unless you're referring to the original NES Mario, in which case NES titles are now more closely related to "handheld" experiences rather than what we consider to be a console experience these days.

VanWinkle

I'm not sure what about his post seemed angry to me. 3DS has a lot of great ideas, a good concept with the 3D IMO, and a great game lineup, but the hardware is definitely not one of its strong suits.

Why aren't people talking about how the Vita's PSN integration rivals Xbox Live's service (even has some more features than it) and it's still completely free?

It's the title itself that's the problem. If you're going to include positives then just call it pros and cons or PS Vita FAQ. I mean if there was a thread titled "Shitty things about the 3DS" most people aren't going to think it's non-bashing thread.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Shai-Tan said:
I don't think anyone expects true multitasking but it's a big mistake to not have a semi multitasking like the old ios model which makes everything in the background suspended.
Suspend functionality is expensive. It gets progressively more expensive, the more memory target device has.
Also - people cried about 360 and PS3 using 10-20% or something of the available memory(and Wii, 3DS and PSP are actually worse - but the companies smartly obfuscated that information away from public) - how would they act if Vita dumps 50% or MORE for exclusive non-game usage?

Actually maybe that will still happen and all this arguing will be moot - I personally agree suspend function is necessary for a multifunction portable device, it's what makes PSPGo so much better then any other PSP, but it does have a non-trivial cost to it.

Apath

I'm not sure what about his post seemed angry to me. 3DS has a lot of great ideas, a good concept with the 3D IMO, and a great game lineup, but the hardware is definitely not one of its strong suits.

Why aren't people talking about how the Vita's PSN integration rivals Xbox Live's service (even has some more features than it) and it's still completely free?
In this thread? Because this is a thread discussing Vita's flaws and the ridiculous list made by the OP. If you're talking about in general, it does get discussed. See: Vita 2011-2012 thread.

RuGalz

Hopefully PSV is rechargeable via USB. I carry an external battery pack for my phone/kindle when I know I'm on a trip just in case.

Top Bottom