• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

Takao

Banned
Battery life is up in the air. The posted life for the Vita is usually what I get on my phone, depending on my settings.

My iphone 4s was $200. Vita seems to be more than that, and you need to buy mem cards and it doesn't double as a cell phone.

I can get my iphone 4s on my TV.

Not being able to play PSOne games is a pretty silly thing to list for obvious reasons.

I've heard iOS devices get insanely low battery life during graphics intensive games.

For the price, I meant without selling your soul to a phone company, as Apple charges $649 for a baseline iPhone 4S. I guess Vita can double as a cellphone if you buy the 3G model and load up on Skype points. But if you have a 3G plan, you probably already own a cellphone anyways...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've heard iOS devices get insanely low battery life during graphics intensive games.

For the price, I meant without selling your soul to a phone company, as Apple charges $649 for a baseline iPhone 4S.

Then buy a touch.

Laguna

Banned
Try to fit this on a Vita

Trying to play captain obvious I see. With a UMD-drive Vita would have a different inner architecture and slightly different design by default, but it would have been possible to make if they wanted to. They just didn´t.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
OP's avatar kinda gives him away.:p
I skimmed the thread to see if anyone avatar quoted him.
This thread is a goldmine of people calling each other fanboys

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28959749/the-ps-vita-has-flaws-many-many-flaws

You should've kept this thread there in that craphole. The only good that can come of this is helping people make an informed decision about he Vita weighing its positives and negatives, this is just kind useless, and the bigger issues are things we know about and have already discussed.

A2JnL.gif

Takao

Banned
Trying to play captain obvious I see. With a UMD-drive Vita would have a different inner architecture and slightly different design by default, but it would have been possible to make if they wanted to. They just didn´t.

As someone who has like 50 UMDs, I wouldn't want Vita to have a UMD drive. The thing's loud, takes too much space, and can hurt the battery life. Better off without it.

Then buy a touch.

But the iPod Touch isn't a smart phone, thus it kind of makes your post moot. ;P

I love how post histories are a more legitimate go-to point than arguing with OPs points.

I'm biased, definitely a more Nintendo-oriented gamer, so I have to admit I relish it when some of the harsh scrutiny is shared around - but I do buy every brand.

Honestly? I've been once bitten twice shy by Sony products in the last couple of generations. In hindsight, jumping in on PS3 when the price was high was a silly mistake, I did it for one title - MGS4 - and it wasn't worth it. A year and a half down the line my blu-ray drive broke. I never got the enjoyment out of PSP (I had the launch model) that others did... I found it unwieldy, uncomfortable, over-exposed. I found myself treating it like I wanted to keep it in a glass museum case rather than play it. This looks very similar in those respects. I just have to accept that their products are not so much targetted to me. If Microsoft did a handheld, I'd prefer to buy that. Their services are better implemented, the online community is better, the updates to their OS are more meaningful. There's a thread on here about an Internet Browser update for PS3 that seems to be literally an unending wait, in-demand features like cross-chat and such have suffered similar interminable delays.

I think the Vita looks amazing, but I do see cracks in the veneer of Sony's claims. I think its going to fall short of the 'portable-PS3' that people are expecting, I think battery life will be a complaint here on GAF when it launches, and I think that people are going to do a double take in stores when they figure out the full balance of the investment.

I find myself wondering what kind of damage the rear touch panel and screen can sustain, what loading times will be like, whether developers will skimp on the capacities of the cartridges at all (see Konami obviously cheaping out on 3DS cart sizes)...

Obviously it's got a lot right that Nintendo have gotten wrong: I am excited that they have come up with an Android solution and the PlayStation suite, I wanted Nintendo to do something similar. NEAR sounds as good as, if not better, than the potential that StreetPass offers. It's certainly got the tech needed to offer great games, the extra power is allowing it to do AR for example in ways that impress more than 3DS. It'll be a great handheld I'm sure... but for me? It's again too big, it's not clamshell (protected), and it seems overkill for something that I would play in a lunch hour or on a train.

Once again I am confused over why I would buy a Sony handheld when there are similar and superior experiences on home consoles, and if this is something that I would more often than not play around the house, I'm wondering if Wii-U can fill the void in my life for home console gaming in the palm of my hands while also acting as an actual home console. In short, I'm not sure I need one.

It's not going to be something like Uncharted or Call of Duty that sways me. It'll be more clever games like little deviants, something revolutionary with AR or clever ideas involving GPS... it might be something Androidy / App related... as yet, I'm pretty unmoved. But again, I don't think I'm Sony's market. I think Sony's market are very excited about it.

Huff

Banned
I love how post histories are a more legitimate go-to point than arguing with OPs points.

I'm biased, definitely a more Nintendo-oriented gamer, so I have to admit I relish it when some of the harsh scrutiny is shared around - but I do buy every brand.

Honestly? I've been once bitten twice shy by Sony products in the last couple of generations. In hindsight, jumping in on PS3 when the price was high was a silly mistake, I did it for one title - MGS4 - and it wasn't worth it. A year and a half down the line my blu-ray drive broke. I never got the enjoyment out of PSP (I had the launch model) that others did... I found it unwieldy, uncomfortable, over-exposed. I found myself treating it like I wanted to keep it in a glass museum case rather than play it. This looks very similar in those respects. I just have to accept that their products are not so much targetted to me. If Microsoft did a handheld, I'd prefer to buy that. Their services are better implemented, the online community is better, the updates to their OS are more meaningful. There's a thread on here about an Internet Browser update for PS3 that seems to be literally an unending wait, in-demand features like cross-chat and such have suffered similar interminable delays.

I think the Vita looks amazing, but I do see cracks in the veneer of Sony's claims. I think its going to fall short of the 'portable-PS3' that people are expecting, I think battery life will be a complaint here on GAF when it launches, and I think that people are going to do a double take in stores when they figure out the full balance of the investment.

I find myself wondering what kind of damage the rear touch panel and screen can sustain, what loading times will be like, whether developers will skimp on the capacities of the cartridges at all (see Konami obviously cheaping out on 3DS cart sizes)...

Obviously it's got a lot right that Nintendo have gotten wrong: I am excited that they have come up with an Android solution and the PlayStation suite, I wanted Nintendo to do something similar. NEAR sounds as good as, if not better, than the potential that StreetPass offers. It's certainly got the tech needed to offer great games, the extra power is allowing it to do AR for example in ways that impress more than 3DS. It'll be a great handheld I'm sure... but for me? It's again too big, it's not clamshell (protected), and it seems overkill for something that I would play in a lunch hour or on a train.

Once again I am confused over why I would buy a Sony handheld when there are similar and superior experiences on home consoles, and if this is something that I would more often than not play around the house, I'm wondering if Wii-U can fill the void in my life for home console gaming in the palm of my hands while also acting as an actual home console. In short, I'm not sure I need one.

It's not going to be something like Uncharted or Call of Duty that sways me. It'll be more clever games like little deviants, something revolutionary with AR or clever ideas involving GPS... it might be something Androidy / App related... as yet, I'm pretty unmoved. But again, I don't think I'm Sony's market. I think Sony's market are very excited about it.

Do you have a 3DS? Are you planning on buying either MK7 or SM3DL? Or RE:R?

Just wondering

I guess you do. Funny huh

Takao

Banned
Someone who's posted as much as you have in the Mario Kart 7, and Mario 3D Land threads shouldn't be throwing stones over console like experiences on handhelds. ;)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's not going to be something like Uncharted or Call of Duty that sways me. It'll be more clever games like little deviants, something revolutionary with AR or clever ideas involving GPS... it might be something Androidy / App related... as yet, I'm pretty unmoved. But again, I don't think I'm Sony's market. I think Sony's market are very excited about it

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the system. 0% chance I actually play this on the go (who is going to carry this around?), but I will play at home. And, at home, I have my consoles and my PC and my ipad, so the Vita better give me something different.

That said, I've had a Vita preordered since day 1. I buy every system. Except 3DS.

You mean one of the most obnoxious, die-hard Nintendo fans on the board made an anti-Vita thread? I for one am shocked.

I don't have a problem being called a diehard Nintendo fan, because it's true.

And do keep in mind the thread was not Anti-Vita. The Vita looks like a great piece of hardware and I'll likely pick one by the end of next year, but boy do I wish it was smaller.

But I definitely appreciate you not slinging about the "fanboy" word.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
the whole memory card thing is putting me off from buying a vita on launch day. I doubt prices for the memory cards will go down in time as Sony will be the only ones producing them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OH PLEASE, look at his fucking topic history. Most of them are 3DS love fests.

So? Who cares? How about we be mature and actually address the issues presented instead of running for past post history? You know, it's not that hard to have a legitimate conversation. I guess I don't get your attitude here--because you've made a billion pro-Sony posts that makes you a more legitimate OP for a "positives" thread? People would call you a fanboy/spin doctor, too.

I like this thread and think a "positives" thread would be appreciated also.

>Battery Life: Is a problem, but the technology don't allow much more, right now. You want fancy graphics, you pay it with battery life. At least it charge amazingly fast.

>Entry Price: Same price of PSP at launch.

>No on board memory: Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards: Both of this issues are fixed with a 25$ memory card. Wait, you were thinking of having a high-end game and multimedia player, with tons of downloadable content, without having to buy a memory card?

>No TV output: Never used in PSP.

>Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess: There is no way to fit a UMD drive in there. UMD was a mistake, and they are trying to fix it. Let's hope for a nice UMD trade-in system, in west.

>Only one account per system: This sucks, specially for people that has PSX-PS1 content in several accounts... but still is on line with the rest of portable devices, even being easier to switch account.

>You can't use the browser while playing games: Let's hope for a suspend method like in PSPgo. If not, is a pain in the ass.

>PSOne Classic Games Won't Be Available At Launch: Let's see if at least is already there for the US-EU launch.

>You Can't Manage Your Vita With A Mac: I don't know why this is on the negative list, instead of the positive one. Also, I don't know how many people in there it will be that will buy a Vita day one, has a Mac, not a PC, and don't have PS3.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, the OP comes across as having a serious persecution complex wrt Nintendo. Like comparing the lack of day one PSone BC to 3DS digital strategy and wondering why Sony isn't getting as much heat as Nintendo for that has to be a joke.

These things haven't 'been ignored' either. We've had long threads about pretty much all of them. OP comes across as someone who perceives Sony as not getting enough criticism despite this and wanting more from GAF on that end, because he perceives Nintendo has been criticised more.

Oh good, it's not just me then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
>No on board memory: Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards: Both of this issues are fixed with a 25$ memory card. Wait, you were thinking of having a high-end game and multimedia player, with tons of downloadable content, without having to buy a memory card?

PS3/Xbox 360?

Plinko

The same fucking argument Nintendo fangirls used when the PSP came out, it never gets old.

How is this not bannable? Or is it?

System wars are the absolute worst thing to happen to this industry. It's created a group of idiots.

Huff

Banned
So? Who cares? How about we be mature and actually address the issues presented instead of running for past post history? You know, it's not that hard to have a legitimate conversation. I guess I don't get your attitude here--because you've made a billion pro-Sony posts that makes you a more legitimate OP for a "positives" thread? People would call you a fanboy/spin doctor, too.

I like this thread and think a "positives" thread would be appreciated also.

The thing is, we've been having the conversations. In multiple threads discussing each problem. Threads still on the 1st page.

Having a "Vita Problem Mega Thread" created by biased member is going to cause problems. Inevitable. Had a mod made this thread, it would be different

Apath

>Battery Life: On medium settings, the PS Vita gets 3-5 hours of battery life. This teeters on being unacceptable; people like to point at the 3DS's oft quoted 3-5 hours battery life figure as a defensive comparison, but the 3DS's 3 hour battery life is on the highest settings. If the Vita gives out 3 hours on medium settings, I hate to think what it would perform like on high.
What's worse is that unlike the 3DS, you can't even change your own battery. You have to send the Vita in to Sony a la Apple and the iPod for them to change your battery for you.
Granted the battery life is poor, but all things considered (especially when compared to the 3DS), the Vita is pretty neutral when it comes to battery life. Not really a negative, but not a positive either.
>Entry Price: Honestly, the PS Vita is good value for money. It's $249/$299 prices are great, but as the PSP and PS3 amply demonstrated, customers don't really care about the whole 'value for money' angle, and spending that much money on a handheld system will probably be unacceptable to most, especially when the actual cost of entry is deceptively higher than what the price tag might indicate.
Its entry level price is a positive. Everybody expected this thing to be over $300, some even $400. People were called crazy expecting it to be under $300.
>No on board memory
Agreed.
>Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards
Agreed.
>No TV output: Not really a deal breaker, but a definite step back from all their other PSP models since the PSP 2000, which have included a TV out. An obviously deliberate omission to be included in a future revision.
I agree, but only in the context of your argument: it's a flaw but not a big one.
>Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess: Another big issue. The PS Vita uses a new proprietary cartridge format for its games, and so features no UMD slot. This means that it is not backwards compatible with any physical PSP games you might already own, not unless you take part in a UMD Conversion program, which requires you to pay for games you already own,and which doesn't even cover all games. Contrast this with the 3DS, which allows you to play all DS, DSi and DSiWare games right out of the box.
Digital copies of your games can and will be carried forward to your Vita, however, assuming you register the same PSN account to the device that you used to buy the games with on your PSP.
I disagree that the B/C is a mess. Being able to play your digital PSP games is a distinct advantage of the console. Nobody expected it to have a UMD drive and play PSP games. Hell, nobody expected it to be able to play PSP games period. It even gives enhanced support for a few games, which means dual analogue support!
- XBOX 360's B/C is a mess: some games work, some don't, some kind of work.
- PS3 was kind of a mess: Had full B/C, then had decent B/C, and eventually had no B/C. Now you can download some games, so it has a sort of digital B/C.
- DS was slightly a mess: had B/C for GBA games, but eventually removed it in later models.
>Only one account per system
Agreed. Not sure how it was a big advantage over the 3DS though, or how it relates in any way.
>You can't use the browser while playing games
Agreed. Though I'd relegate this to the same status of Video Out.
>PSOne Classic Games Won't Be Available At Launch
Agreed.
>You Can't Manage Your Vita With A Mac
Agreed.

Oh good, it's not just me then.
Nope, definitely not just you. And this is the opposite end of the spectrum:

>Battery Life: Is a problem, but the technology don't allow much more, right now. You want fancy graphics, you pay it with battery life. At least it charge amazingly fast.

>Entry Price: Same price of PSP at launch.

>No TV output: Never used in PSP.

>Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess: There is no way to fit a UMD drive in there. UMD was a mistake, and they are trying to fix it. Let's hope for a nice UMD trade-in system, in west.

>Only one account per system: This sucks, specially for people that has PSX-PS1 content in several accounts... but still is on line with the rest of portable devices, even being easier to switch account.

>You can't use the browser while playing games: Let's hope for a suspend method like in PSPgo. If not, is a pain in the ass.

>PSOne Classic Games Won't Be Available At Launch: Let's see if at least is already there for the US-EU launch.

>You Can't Manage Your Vita With A Mac: I don't know why this is on the negative list, instead of the positive one. Also, I don't know how many people in there it will be that will buy a Vita day one, has a Mac, not a PC, and don't have PS3.

PS3/Xbox 360?

Ok, portable device. Obviously any home-based multimedia player has his hard drive.

But for a portable? This is like buying a photo camera and saying "I hope that it will have a good internal memory, because I'm not thinking about buying a memory card for this".

Plinko

The thing is, we've been having the conversations. In multiple threads discussing each problem. Threads still on the 1st page.

Having a "Vita Problem Mega Thread" created by known 3DS lover is going to cause problems. Inevitable. Had a mod made this thread, it would be different

I always hear complaints about multiple threads, though--I guess I'm more inclined to want them all together in one major thread on the same topic.

Huff

Banned
I always hear complaints about multiple threads, though--I guess I'm more inclined to want them all together in one major thread on the same topic.

People are just seeing this as a thread made to shit on the vita, not to actually discuss it's problems.

The thread title suggests that.

The Vita OT would be a better place for all around discussion of the vita

Plinko

People are just seeing this as a thread made to shit on the vita, not to actually discuss it's problems.

The thread title suggests that.

Hmm. I saw it differently, I guess. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Doesn't seem much point in discussing problems that you can't do anything about in the first place. :)

My list of Vita Problems: #1 I don't have one.

Do you have a 3DS? Are you planning on buying either MK7 or SM3DL? Or RE:R?

Just wondering

Yes, and to pre-empt your obvious point - I'm now able to play Mario Kart 7 in Starbucks or via 3G tethered to my phone, the races are short making them perfect for portable play -- much like the courses in 3D Land: they are not the vast levels of the Galaxy games, they are more like bitesize assault courses. Its perfectly possible for console-esque experiences to be tailored to the pick-up-and-play norms of portable play, and I'm sure that Wipeout, Motorstorm, Little Deviants, Little Big Planet and more will fit the bill. I'm not saying Vita won't have great portable games in established home console franchises. It will. Some stuff will be essentially ported though. Stuff like Assassins Creed though, or Bioshock perhaps?

Even then, I'm not against console experiences on a handheld. Ocarina of Time 3D is very much that kind of experience, so is RE:R -- I just think games like that are more incidental than vitally important. What is important about a handheld is giving people a reason to have it, giving them a reason to take it with them, giving them a reason to buy games for it over home-software. On 3DS, part of the gimmick that is meant to ensure that is the 3D itself -- obviously, not everyone can afford a stereoscopic 3D set, and not everyone values 3D. Some people would have preferred more power, but that's what Nintendo obviously intended it as... a differentiator. But it's also things like the 3D camera, the streetpass stuff incentivising you to take it with you and meet new gamers, the 3d classics, videos, AR, bitesize games on the (flawed!) eShop including access to stuff like Brain Training and alarm clocks. Vita will have a lot of that and more too...

Like I say, my interest is piqued by the Android / PS Suite thing - as I think that along with things like GPS, that will open doors to making Vita more of a useful multi-purpose device: a utility, an all rounder. If in two years time you pack the guts in to a PSP Go / Xperia Play form factor and make it a phone, you suddenly have the best phone in the world. Vita has a camera, the GPS/NEAR stuff has lots of potential, and some of the games I mentioned are obviously gearing more towards that portable mentality. Where I am not seeing the sense is the seemingly common desire to see PS3/360 port-downs... when Ubisoft, Activision and EA are all churning out ports of their home console games -- in some instances I would bite: like if I could take Mirror's Edge on the go for example. But in a lot of cases, I would struggle to justify buying that stuff over a home console version. At least the power-deficiency of the 3DS forces them to make some kind of special effort, and at least the games are 3D or whatever... I dunno, I'm just struggling to get excited about that. When I think of what the next great handheld game might be I think along the lines of Scribblenauts, Lumines, Tetris, Mario Vs DK, Brain Training, Angry Birds etc. When thinking about what makes for the greatest and most addicting portable software, is all the extra oomph and cumulative cost of the device, memory cards, protective cases etc worth it? $250 is a bargain for what this device offers, but its still a lot of money to part with.

The same fucking argument Nintendo fangirls used when the PSP came out, it never gets old.

I'm quoting this just in case you edit later. Nintendo fangirls? smfh..
I'm actually sharing honest views here and contributing. What kind of contribution is a post like yours?

By the by, does Sony's crappy Media Go software work through Macs via virtualisation? Like parallels or virtualPC?

Takao

Banned
If you guys go through my post history, besides a lot of Dragon Ball stuff, and fear mongering, I actually predicted PSP PSN-BC and a sub $300 for the then "NGP" platform. I am from the future!

Apath

I haven't. I am just going by the current state of their announced libraries, and basic history that indicates Nintendo usually knows the handheld market better than anyone else. I may be wrong, in which case, I will still be covered since I will be owning a Vita after all ;)
You constantly chiming in with how you'll be buying a Vita gives me the exact impression of a racist going "But I have black friends!"
If you guys go through my post history, besides a lot of Dragon Ball stuff, and fear mongering, I actually predicted PSN-BC and a sub $300 for the then "NGP" platform. I am from the future!
Apparently. Discussion pre-announcement always tended towards absolutely no PSP support and a $350 price point.

Huff

Banned
Yes, and to pre-empt your obvious point - I'm now able to play Mario Kart 7 in Starbucks or via 3G tethered to my phone, the races are short making them perfect for portable play -- much like the courses in 3D Land: they are not the vast levels of the Galaxy games, they are more like bitesize assault courses. Its perfectly possible for console-esque experiences to be tailored to the pick-up-and-play norms of portable play, and I'm sure that Wipeout, Motorstorm, Little Deviants, Little Big Planet and more will fit the bill. Stuff like Assassins Creed though, or Bioshock? I'm not against console experiences on a handheld - Ocarina of Time 3D is very much that kind of experience, so is RE:R -- I just think games like that are more incidental than vitally important. What is important about a handheld is giving people a reason to have it, giving them a reason to take it with them, giving them a reason to buy games for it over home-software. On 3DS, part of the gimmick to ensure that is the 3D -- obviously, not everyone can afford a stereoscopic 3D set. But it's also things like the 3D camera, the streetpass stuff incentivising you to take it with you and meet new gamers, the 3d classics, videos, AR, bitesize games on the (flawed!) eShop including access to stuff like Brain Training and alarm clocks.

Like I say, my interest is piqued by the Android / PS Suite thing - as I think that along with things like GPS, that will open doors to making Vita more of a useful multi-purpose device: a utility, an all rounder. If in two years time you pack the guts in to a PSP Go / Xperia Play form factor and make it a phone, you suddenly have the best phone in the world. Vita has a camera, the GPS/NEAR stuff has lots of potential, and some of the games I mentioned are obviously gearing more towards that portable mentality. Where I am not seeing the sense is the seemingly common desire to see PS3/360 port-downs... when Ubisoft, Activision and EA are all churning out ports of their home console games -- in some instances I would bite: like if I could take Mirror's Edge on the go for example. But in a lot of cases, I would struggle to justify buying that stuff over a home console version. At least the power-deficiency of the 3DS forces them to make some kind of special effort, and at least the games are 3D or whatever... I dunno, I'm just struggling to get excited about that. When I think of what the next great handheld game might be I think along the lines of Scribblenauts, Lumines, Tetris, Mario Vs DK, Brain Training, Angry Birds etc. When thinking about what makes for the greatest and most addicting portable software, is all the extra oomph and cumulative cost of the device, memory cards, protective cases etc worth it? $250 is a bargain for what this device offers, but its still a lot of money to part with.

All I did was point out that the 3DS has console like experiences. The DS has console like experiences.

Soon there isn't going to be a difference between handheld and console like experiences. So it's kinda hypocritical of you to enjoy a console like game on one platform but use that as a negative for another platform.

All I did was point out that the 3DS has console like experiences. The DS has console like experiences.

Soon there isn't going to be a difference between handheld and console like experiences. So it's kinda hypocritical of you to enjoy a console like game on one platform but use that as a negative for another platform.

and this is the point I am making:

radioheadrule83 said:
Where I am not seeing the sense is the seemingly common desire to see PS3/360 port-downs... when Ubisoft, Activision and EA are all churning out ports of their home console games -- in some instances I would bite: like if I could take Mirror's Edge on the go for example. But in a lot of cases, I would struggle to justify buying that stuff over a home console version. At least the power-deficiency of the 3DS forces them to make some kind of special effort, and at least the games are 3D or whatever... I dunno, I'm just struggling to get excited about that. When I think of what the next great handheld game might be I think along the lines of Scribblenauts, Lumines, Tetris, Mario Vs DK, Brain Training, Angry Birds etc. When thinking about what makes for the greatest and most addicting portable software, is all the extra oomph and cumulative cost of the device, memory cards, protective cases etc worth it?

I excercise the same scrutiny when it comes to home console-esque experiences and ports on 3DS. If its crap, or better on the home consoles, I'm not going to buy it.

Laguna

Banned
You constantly chiming in with how you'll be buying a Vita gives me the exact impression of a racist going "But I have black friends!"

What impression do you get from people hating on him just because he likes Nintendo more? Especially considering that doesn´t mean you can´t enjoy other consoles, handhelds as he tried to point out.

Takao

Banned
Apparently. Discussion pre-announcement always tended towards absolutely no PSP support and a $350 price point.

I came to my speculation due to the fact there was 400+ PSP games on PSN that would become useless as the PSP market goes away. PS3 would struggle emulating PSP, so that isn't an option. With that in mind, it became pretty clear to me that Sony would use the PSP games on PSN as a means for backwards compatibility. It would be a good revenue source (third parties get to resell old games, and Sony earns 33% off each sale), and attractive to early Vita adopters who might not necessarily find all the Vita games to their liking. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if PSPgo was just a guise to get PSP games on PSN for this. Vita was in development prior to PSPgo's announcement ...

As for the price tag, PlayStation was $299, PS2 was $299, PSP was $249. PS3 was the only one that broke the sub-$300 pattern, and it was a disaster. A disaster I assumed Sony would never want to relive.

Apath

What impression do you get from people hating on him just because he likes Nintendo more? Especially considering that doesn´t mean you can´t enjoy other consoles, handhelds as he tried to point out.
He clearly has a bias and favors the 3DS. Hell, just look at his topic history: Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Vita flaw, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Vita Flaw, etc. It would be like seeing Gofreak make a giant list of 3DS flaws, in which case I'd be just as prone to point it out. There is nothing wrong with preferring one console over another, or even being a fanboy. It turns into an issue when people bash other consoles based on their bias, trying to incite negative discussion.

Huff

Banned

Once again I quote your original statement.

It sounds like only Nintendo games can better on handhelds?

and this is the point I am making:

I excercise the same scrutiny when it comes to home console-esque experiences and ports on 3DS. If its crap, or better on the home consoles, I'm not going to buy it.

If you don't like Sony games, you don't like Sony games. Your biased, and that's fine. It doesn't bother me. I'm also partial to Nintendo.

But you are being hypocritical on the "home console experience" on handhelds. Sorry if you can't see that.

patsu

OP is still wrong after I pointed out the inaccuracies. It looks like pramath just want to pin a certain number of negatives without accurate descriptions.

e.g. He claims that Vita on medium lasts 3-5 hours and 3DS high setting last 3 hours. Therefore Vita has poor battery life. Sony has not said anything like this. They just said battery life is 3-5 hours depending on what's turned on. So it is also possible that Vita lasts the same hours as 3DS on the same settings. The thing is some Vitas have 3G, which 3DS doesn't have. If you turn it on, it will drain faster but it would be a apple to orange comparison.

Some items are not flaws per se. They are 1.0 release feature limitations.

Also, saying the 1 active account limit negates Vita's PSN advantages over 3DS is wrong. 3DS network and community features are anemic or non existing. Vita should be better than 3DS in this regard. Things like LiveArea, Near and other community features offer a richer experience for free.

Akkad

Banned
I'm quoting this just in case you edit later. Nintendo fangirls? smfh..
I'm actually sharing honest views here and contributing. What kind of contribution is a post like yours?

Quote to your heart's delight, I only edit my posts for grammar or spelling mistakes. If a mod wants to ban me so be it, I broke the rules so I pay the price.

Well, PSP don't have 3D as a gimmick, but still it has the OLED screen, that it will make the game looking better than in most of the TV set that we have to play in PS3.

If anyone can consider than MK7 is worthy, even having already the Wii version, because of the 3D, I think it's safe to consider Wipeout Vita worthy because of the amazing screen. Also, Vita has the front an rear touch (for example, to swipe left-right in Wipeout pressing the rear touchscreen), it has Near and GPS-based features, etc.

I will buy Disgaea 3 for Vita. I already have it for PS3 but I never find enought time to play it. For me, Disgaea is a game to play in small bursts of a few stages, instead of long 5 hour sessions. Is a console-down experience? I don't know, but it will still be worthy.

Once again I quote your original statement.

It sounds like only Nintendo games can better on handhelds?

If you don't like Sony games, you don't like Sony games. Your biased, and that's fine. It doesn't bother me. I'm also partial to Nintendo.

But you are being hypocritical on the "home console experience." Sorry if you can't see that.

Selective reading or something?

Remember the parts of my posts where I pointed out Wipeout, Little Big Planet and Motorstorm would make good portable titles? Or where I stated its not impossible for a fully console-esque experience to be justified: ie. Mirrors Edge? I'm sure there will be tonnes of people eager for portable CoD, even if I am not.

No, I'm being quite clear, and I don't believe I'm being hypocritical at all - you're just reading what you want to read I think and choosing not to engage the actual idea I've suggested: home console type experiences, and in particular - ports, will not be enough to sustain interest in the system as a portable device. Sony's energies should be poured into the more innovative aspects of the device imo.

Quote to your heart's delight, I only edit my posts for grammar or spelling mistakes. If a mod wants to ban me so be it, I broke the rules so I pay the price.

I have no desire to see you banned, I'd just prefer it if we could have our differences without the name calling.

IllumiNate

What a fail thread, Why would you post this to begin with? especially with the fact that you rock a Nintendo Avatar. I can come up with a list twice the size of fail for the 3DS. This plus the Bioware thread means your now blocked

Apath

Selective reading or something?

Remember the parts of my posts where I pointed out Wipeout, Little Big Planet and Motorstorm would make good portable titles? Or where I stated its not impossible for a fully console-esque experience to be justified: ie. Mirrors Edge? I'm sure there will be tonnes of people eager for portable CoD, even if I am not.

No, I'm being quite clear, and I don't believe I'm being hypocritical at all - you're just reading what you want to read I think and choosing not to engage the actual idea I've suggested: home console type experiences, and in particular - ports, will not be enough to sustain interest in the system as a portable device. Sony's energies should be poured into the more innovative aspects of the device imo.
Unrelated to your post, more on topic with the idea of console-ized handheld titles: have you played God of War: Ghost of Sparta for the PSP? Whatever your answer, do you feel it embodies the "console-ized handheld title" concept?

The Vita's biggest flaw was designing a handheld that appeals to me rather than Jane soccer mom. I listen to gaming podcasts, post on GAF and look at the PSP Go = possibly the greatest handheld ever produced thread and think fuck yea

Poor thing will never be called a success. I'm sure it will carve out a nice niche between Japan and a smaller group elsewhere which hopefully will be enough to support 1st party games, some multiplatform releases and the small localization companies (Aksys, Xseed, NIS, Atlus, etc..). I think the Cruncheons said it best when they said the Vita is failure, but it’s our kind of failure.

gogogow

OP is still wrong after I pointed out the inaccuracies. It looks like pramath just want to pin a certain number of negatives without accurate descriptions.

e.g. He claims that Vita on medium lasts 3-5 hours and 3DS high setting last 3 hours. Therefore Vita has poor battery life. Sony has not said anything like this. They just said battery life is 3-5 hours depending on what's turned on. So it is also possible that Vita lasts the same hours as 3DS on the same settings. The thing is some Vitas have 3G, which 3DS doesn't have. If you turn it on, it will drain faster but it would be a apple to orange comparison.

They did. Sony said it's gonna last 3-5 hours when playing games with screen brightness on default, no bluetooth, no wifi/3g, headphones used.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444821

Make them proprietary, make them mandatory, have them not included with a Vita, make lots of money.

You guys talk like this proprietary Vita memory cards are much more faster than SD/MicroSD cards out there. So how fast are they? Class 6? Class 10? Got any source where I can read up about them? I highly doubt they are as fast as a Class 10 MicroSD. Even so, you can't get them for around €15/30 a piece (16/32GB MicroSD Sandisk).

In the end you'll have to live with the proprietary format, but costing 4-5 times as much as a Class 10 MicroSD is a dick move.

Class 10 speed : 10 Mb/s
PSP Memory Pro Duo speed : 15 Mb/s min guaranteed

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
https://www.oss-formats.org/en/memorystick/outline/pro.html

I'm pretty sure that if PSP cards were faster than class 10,it's pretty much given the Vita cards are faster than that due to the higher resolution of the games. That still doesn't excuse the price they are asking for them.

plainr_

Few gripes about the Vita:

-No onboard memory for savedata.
-Proprietary docking port. I can't understand the switch to proprietary if it doesn't offer anything special like TV-Out.
-No mac support on launch. This is just plain stupid.
-No actual CoD or BF announced for Vita. Silly logos on slideshows don't count. :p

Memory card prices and firmware related issues, I can deal with. I think Sony is doing a great job on the OS this time around and I believe we'll see in-game browser support not long after the Vita arrives. Don't really give a damn about PSOne BC. No Rival Schools means I don't care. :eek:

I still can't believe some people are giving Sony a pass for not having internal memory or coming with some kind of free memory stick with each Vita. You can't play all Vita games if you just buy a Vita.

Top Bottom