• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

Kyoufu

If it works like the PSP does, then the only workaround is to import physical media, not digital. If you want to import digital games on your main/local account then you're SOL.

Pro: You will actually be able to send a message to someone on your friends list.

PSN integration. It's a wonderful thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is pretty much the real issue right there. Wife cancelled her preorder for the same reason : as nice as everything is, there's nothing that she's not played before that attracts her enough to drop the cash on the machine which , lets face it, from a Japanese buy in perspective (well, wife perspective i guess)

29800 - 3g model
11000 - 32gig card
5000 x (??) - games : let's say she'd go with Musou, Mingol and Disgaea at least
3000 x (??) - games : Ridge is mandatory (only time she ever plays it), Dark Quest

so that's.... (in head)

around 62,000 yen or so. To play a bunch of games she can play elsewhere.

Now, for me - i'm stoked for the Vita. But i'm not stupid enough to see that Sony have got a REAL fight on their hands to get things moving.

Meanwhile over at 3DS land it's 15,000 yen party time and there's a new Mario and a new Mario Kart, and a new MH (which is going to bomb anyways (see other threads ;) )

New experiences are the key here and whilst Nintendo/Capcom are pushing out two games (Mario Kart and MH) that are iterative releases, they've got a big hitter that's -completely- new. Sony needs them - and fast.

I'd mostly play mine at home, which compounds the overlap with PS3/PSP for me. and if I splurge on the amazing sounding Sony Visor, I can play Hotshots golf while the wife watches NHK World, which is one of the reasons I was considering the Vita (second screen)

Noooooooooooooooooo ! Sound Shapes is great. Gravity Daze looks delicious too but I haven't try it.

Little Deviants looks good and plays fine but I have my eyes on the above 2. 8^(

No, Sound Shapes is actually being held back by Sony for launch window. Gravity Daze has a February launch date for Japan but was not announced for US Launch. It might still make it though :)

So regarding the "one account per system" limitation...

Yes, it's a major inconvenience, and I'm frustrated. However, does this mean...

A) This is simply an inconvenience and there are work-arounds if you have additional hardware

or

B) This is not just an inconvenience, but now it's impossible to access other-region content on your main account

Note that I bolded main account. The meaning for this is simple...we need to be able to play our Japanese digital Vita games on our Vita that has the US account.

I heard it mentioned before that there might be the possibility that Vita #2 (JP account for example) can transfer the software to a PS3, then that PS3 can transfer Vita #2's JP software to Vita #1 (US account), so you can play the JP game(s) under your US account and earn trophies for your main account.

Somehow though that doesn't seem like it would work. Still, the one-account thing is still not 100% confirmed, is it? I have heard multiple accounts from people at Gamescom. But anyway, let's say it is 1 account.

I've also heard about multiple memory cards, but somehow I doubt it would let software with JP account license work on a Vita that has a US account activaed.

Take some time to explore the JP PS Store's PSP/PS1 offerings and you'll see there are boatloads of absolute gems on there, many of which are even more appealing now due to the Vita's OLED screen and all. And on top of that, once Vita comes out it's going to be like PSP on JP Store, just tons of stuff available, and I'm guessing some digital only. It would be a shame to not be able to play them.

Do we know of any workarounds to play for example JP games under our main US/EU accounts, regardless if that means having to get a 2nd Vita?

guek

Banned
I saw this thread title and lol'd :p

Vita is a neat little package. The only thing I don't like is the price.

ataboada

I have a Mac and can't manage my vita stuff unless I have a pc? Wtf Sony!

Agreed.

Memory cards themselves are fine indeed, but the real flaw is using proprietary memory cards and not MicroSD/M2. Sony are charging a leg and arm for one, no matter the capacity.

Hadn't known about this until the OP. Storage accesories are probably a great way to create profit for companies, but information is making consumers more aware. Is there an answer as to why they are using propietary storage media?

Has it been confirmed that Sony is never releasing their management software for Mac. I'm surprised they haven't by this point but I thought they would for the Vita launch.

Pretty sure they've said they're working on it. They never bothered making it for the PSP because I guess it was too much effort for only a niche market but since the Vita handles all the transfers itself, it should be pretty easy to get it running on Mac's.

They could have solved this problem the same way DS and DSlite solved the GBA compatibility (they had an extra GBAmodul-slot). Sony did what they did to cheap out on an extra UMDdrive and to cash in on those memcards. It´s as simple as that.

Yeah, they should make the entire system bigger just so they can fit a large UMD drive that would shrink the battery life even more than usual when being used. Not only that but since it has moving parts, it'd make the system more susceptible to breaking. This idea? It's pants on head retarded.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd mostly play mine at home, which compounds the overlap with PS3/PSP for me. and if I splurge on the amazing sounding Sony Visor, I can play Hotshots golf while the wife watches NHK World, which is one of the reasons I was considering the Vita (second screen)

one of the big boons for me is that it's a powerful portable machine. In reality it's not that i -can't- play games on consoles, i am just losing inclination. If the choice is to sit and play with my son or play PS3/x360 then the consoles aren't going to get a look in.

Playing during commutes or at lunchtimes is the way to go realistically. Hence my portable collections are still fairly healthy, 3ds is getting some love and i'm eagerly awaiting the PSV :D

I tried the visor - it's not for me. Unconfortable and as a previous projector user the "big screen" didn't quite have the same effect. The lack of cross talk on the 3d was pretty impressive though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
No, Sound Shapes is actually being held back by Sony for launch window. Gravity Daze has a February launch date for Japan but was not announced for US Launch. It might still make it though :)
english versus of gravity Daze was renamed to gravity rush, we've seen an eu version already so an na version seems like a safe bet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hadn't known about this until the OP. Storage accesories are probably a great way to create profit for companies, but information is making consumers more aware. Is there an answer as to why they are using propietary storage media?

Profit margin.

Battery Life:
• Blame battery technology, not sony. You want a powerful system? is going to eat batt life.
>Entry Price:
• not a problem for me
>No on board memory:
• irks me but doesn't bother me.
>Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards:
• i won't be affected by it
>No TV output:
• Don't know if i care about this. Have yet to connect a handheld to a tv.
>Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess:
• Don't care really.
>Only one account per system:
• doesn't affect me that much really. I stopped importing a long time ago.
>You can't use the browser while playing games:
• wonder if it is a memory issue. would be nice to have.
PSOne Classic Games Won't Be Available At Launch:
• I bough FFVII for the psp and never touched it. i don't know if i'm going to go back, ever.

Laguna

Banned
@Pie and Beans
PSVita games would still be on those new cards if they went the same route as Nintendo did. The UMDdrive would have just been an extra for backwardcompatibility just like the GBA slot in NDS. The reason they didn´t is mainly an economic one.

@Spiegel
It wouldn´t have been that dumb, actually it would have been rather clever, especially if you are looking for a further selling point in Japan it would have been great to have the PSP library also available on Vita, that´s the reason why Nintendo went the extra-mile and built in an extra GBA-cardslot, and made anything to guarantee DS backwardscompatibility on 3DS, since especially the Japanese aren´t that much into downloads and much more into hard-copy software.

They're offering a way in Japan to get your UMD-only games on Vita. It's not a very consumer-friendly way, but it is a way. They've been upfront about this from the beginning, this isn't a PS3 thing where they've removed it after launch. You have your PSP, if you don't want to pay to play them on the Vita then don't. You still have a way to play them, it's totally your choice.

Yay, paying up to 20$ for a game you already own on UMD is really a great solution for backwards-compatibility and let´s just forget that a lot of PSP games aren´t available on PSN to make it look even better.

Sorry, this kind of things are just incredibly offensive... Even considering the more moderate 5-10$ for other games, in the end they are just selling you PSN games. Just keep in mind that you can buy the God of War (UMD)games new for 10$.

The level you're at isn't the problem, its the amount of games you've played. 9 is pretty low really, so I imagine you don't have that many games in your list. I'm level 23, have over 100 games on my list and it takes for fucking ever.

As for the second bit, the PSP didn't have friend list support or trophies though. Sony should've realised that this changes things and made it so that you can at least have 2 or 3 accounts on it.

I got that slightly wrong before. Demos aren't attached to a User Account but games are. So I can download the Rayman demo on my US account, delete it and it'll still work. But if I download Wizardry and delete it, it won't.

I'm level 13(or is it 14?) and it takes forever to load. The thing is though we do not know how the Vita trophy systems work and how the device will handle them so it might be completely different than the PS3 and actually optimized now.

Arklite

>Entry Price: Honestly, the PS Vita is good value for money. It's $249/$299 prices are great, but as the PSP and PS3 amply demonstrated, customers don't really care about the whole 'value for money' angle, and spending that much money on a handheld system will probably be unacceptable to most, especially when the actual cost of entry is deceptively higher than what the price tag might indicate.

Price is on point, it'd be hard for them to justify lowering the price for launch. Besides, some people on these very boards were expecting this thing to cost $300, and some even going to $400 purely based on what it can do.

Like Penny Arcade said; the thing has got two fucking touch screens. That shit don't cost a dollar.

Huff

Banned
Yay, paying up to 20$ for a game you already own on UMD is really a great solution for backwards-compatibility and let´s just forget that a lot of PSP games aren´t available on PSN to make it look even better.

Sorry, this kind of things are just incredibly offensive... Even considering the more moderate 5-10$ for other games, in the end they are just selling to you PSN games. Just keep in mind that you can buy the God of War (UMD)games new for 10$.

Like really? They are offending you by offering this program? :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sorry, this kind of things are just incredibly offensive... Even considering the more moderate 5-10$ for other games, in the end they are just selling to you PSN games. Just keep in mind that you can buy the God of War (UMD)games new for 10$.

Great - you can buy the non-digital version of God Of War that doesn't play on the Vita for 10$

but you can't buy that version then moan that it doesn't work on the PSV, right?!

I mean - i get the annoyance, but the idea that a digital version of a game and a UMD version of the game are one and the same and buying the UMD version -entitles- you to a free copy of the digital version is just plain wrong.

I curious as to which games people want to carry over - i guess i got prepared by buying a PSP Go and i have 4 or 5 UMD only games i'd like to take over but there's nothing critical out there i don't think? (was Outrun on download? Can't remember)

the funny thing is that none of these would be an issue for me if the software were there. but after soul searching i just don't want to play katamari in bed that badly.

if the software shows up then i will.

Takao

Banned
Should I make a positive thread?

If I do, I bet people will like avatar quote me, and call me a spin doctor or something... :/

diffusionx

Gold Member
@Pie and Beans
PSVita games would still be on those new cards if they went the same route as Nintendo did. The UMDdrive would have just been an extra for backwardcompatibility just like the GBA slot in NDS. The reason they didn´t is mainly an economic one.

Yea, they didn't want to add to the cost. But they also thought the backwards touch pad was a better feature than the UMD drive. They didn't want a drive system that hackers already know how to crack. They didn't want moving parts on the system that add heat and unreliability.

Anyone with working eyes should have been able to see that the UMD format was a failure. It was a bad format for movies and a bad format for games. Sony's emphasis on UMD over digital distribution held the PSP back for years. We should've been able to buy and download movies directly to the memory stick from day one. But no, gotta push those UMDs.

There was pretty much no way a PSP2 was going to ship with a UMD drive. This was evident, years ago. Luckily, Sony has been pushing digital distribution for PSP games since the Go came out. I stopped buying UMDs right after the Go came out, and no I didn't have a Go.

Brannon

It's definitely not worth the asking price + memory price. Let the beta testers have at it as usual. Maybe they'll have a Vita Ambassadors Delegates program going.

Barf.

Laguna

Banned
Like really? They are offending you by offering this program? :lol

Was it really that complicated to understand?
It´s offensive because Sony obviously believes that their fans are too naive to understand that they are basically just selling you PSN games you already own on UMD.

Takao

Banned
A lot of those issues posted are the reason why smartphones are the future.

Phones have worse battery life, the ones that matter don't have TV out, can't play PSone games decently, they cost more than the Vita even with the memory cards and a few games???

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

If I do, I bet people will like avatar quote me, and call me a spin doctor or something... :/

No matter what happens on these boards, if you take a strong stance someone will call you a spin doctor. The OP got accused of that in this negative thread. The same will happen to you in a positive thread.

Spiegel

@Pie and Beans

@Spiegel
It wouldn´t have been that dumb, actually it would have been rather clever, especially if you are looking for a further selling point in Japan it would have been great to have the PSP library also available on Vita, that´s the reason why Nintendo went the extra-mile and built in an extra GBA-cardslot, and made anything to guarantee DS backwardscompatibility on 3DS, since especially the Japanese aren´t that much into downloads and much more into hard-copy software.

Try to fit this on a Vita

TTm07.jpg

sublimit

Banned

Well you can make "A Consolidated List Of All 3DS Flaws" thread.
If the OP can do a thread such as this and get away with it then you can do it too.:p

Dunan

Wow, you really can't manage it on a Mac? That's some serious BS.

Speaking of this, how do you fellow Mac people manage PSP games? I know there was once a paid application that would help you do it; I myself have been getting by with jotting down those game identifiers containing SLUS and EPJH and just trying to move stuff from folder to folder. Wouldn't mind a better solution now that there are 16 GB memory sticks and I've got multiple UMDs on each stick.

gogogow

Make them proprietary, make them mandatory, have them not included with a Vita, make lots of money.

I would like for this new memory format to be opened like the Memory Stick format is, but the problem is indeed not having on board high speed flash storage you can install games into.
Memory card are not just going to be used for save data and other less bandwidth sensitive data. You will install full PSN games on it which cannot afford to load slower from memory cards than from retail game cards.

Using regular SD cards for this might not supply, in theory, the necessary data speed and it's up to the user to purchase the right kind of cards for the game not to suddenly have weird streaming or loading issues for example.

Slowest SDs are pretty DAMN slow by standards of a this-gen console (which Vita is hyped up to be). Not to mention - quite a bit slower then PSPGo memory was - and Vita could certainly use something faster then that was too.
You guys talk like this proprietary Vita memory cards are much more faster than SD/MicroSD cards out there. So how fast are they? Class 6? Class 10? Got any source where I can read up about them? I highly doubt they are as fast as a Class 10 MicroSD. Even so, you can't get them for around €15/30 a piece (16/32GB MicroSD Sandisk).

In the end you'll have to live with the proprietary format, but costing 4-5 times as much as a Class 10 MicroSD is a dick move.

undecided

I've seen several people mention " i won't be affected by it" in regards to the memory card prices.. How so? Do you get them free or discounted at work?

The memory card issue seems pretty horrible to me.

I wonder how long until there is a photofast style adapater for micro sd to vita

Takao

Banned
No matter what happens on these boards, if you take a strong stance someone will call you a spin doctor. The OP got accused of that in this negative thread. The same will happen to you in a positive thread.

Yeah, like I said on the first page, I had intended to make the "Why you shouldn't buy a Vita thread" (IIRC my title was "Have you heard the bad news about Vita?") but was afraid I'd just get a lot of avatar quotes, banned, and people taking my thread as some sort of meltdown.

The back panel idea sucks. Sorry, just does.

But what about the possibilities for creepy dating games!

Saroyan

All those cons are pretty much a non issue to me.
Yeah the high memory card prices suck, but thats what happens with a new proprietary format, and you always pay a crapload more to be an early adopter with any electronic device.

My preorder for the first edition bundle is staying right where it is. Other people can cry about the price and everything that Sony is doing wrong, I'll be playing my new Vita in February.

AngryMoth

I'm taking the same stance on Vita as I am with the 3ds; a year from launch there'll most likely be a better, cheaper version, they'll be more games, and I'll be able to make a better decision as to whether its really worth buying.

scotcheggz

Biggest downside to me is the single account thing, not fussed about anyhing else. I'm basically stuck in the catch 22 of making an account to buy DLC for only Japanese games or only PAL games, right? I'm big on playing imports, so that puts a sour taste in my mouth after getting psyched about region free.

That is, assuming I understand correctly?

Grimmy

Banned
Was it really that complicated to understand?
It´s offensive because Sony obviously believes that their fans are too naive to understand that they are basically just selling you PSN games you already own on UMD.

Don't worry, there's a good chance Sony won't bring it outside of Japan, considering all the negative reactions. Then I'm sure you'll be happy.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Phones have worse battery life, the ones that matter don't have TV out, can't play PSone games decently, they cost more than the Vita even with the memory cards and a few games???

Battery life is up in the air. The posted life for the Vita is usually what I get on my phone, depending on my settings.

My iphone 4s was $200. Vita seems to be more than that, and you need to buy mem cards and it doesn't double as a cell phone.

I can get my iphone 4s on my TV.

Not being able to play PSOne games is a pretty silly thing to list for obvious reasons.

Akkad

Banned

OH PLEASE, look at his fucking topic history. Most of them are 3DS love fests.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

I know I will. Your post history is so deliciously corporate. I see right through the reverse jinxing routine~ <3

Top Bottom