• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

Utako

Banned
I'm definitely not buying another handheld from a Japanese company until it runs Android and makes phone calls.

herod

I think the biggest flaw will prove to be the 4GB game media size limit. Is this really the limit? It makes the DVD9 on the 360 seem positively generous.

Dragon

Banned
i bet it can't even run crysis

Dude it can't even run FFVII: Crisis Core!! aha

I have a Mac and can't manage my vita stuff unless I have a pc? Wtf Sony!

Why you can't just mount it as an USB storage device is mystifying. I can do this on my iPod on Linux.

I think the biggest flaw will prove to be the 4GB game media size limit. Is this really the limit? It makes the DVD9 on the 360 seem positively generous.

I'm sure this can be changed at any time. And I think the DVD9 thing is worse when you consider the difference in resolutions between the devices. Only games with lots of pre-rendered video will become a problem (like Uncharted).

>Battery Life: I rarely play for longer than 2 or 3 hours with my portable consoles and I very rarely play outside. I also treat my batteries with care so I haven't had one dying on me yet.

>Entry Price: It's a good price for what it is and it will go down, this isn't a flaw.

>No on board memory: I agree on this one, they should have included 512MB or something like that. I don't think it will impact much our daily gaming but it's silly not to have it.

>Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards: Who wasn't going to buy a 4GB card for $25? Who would use their Vita without one? The real flaw is not having on board memory, memory cards themselves are fine.

>No TV output: Not a flaw, just a design choice. I doubt even 2% of users would use it.

>Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess: No, using UMDs would have been a mess. Ditching UMD and using cartridges is much much much better. I have a PSP for my PSP UMDs. You sometimes gotta choose between BC and a better new machine. It's like if PS4 had PS3 BC at the cost of being 50% slower than other solutions. No thanks.

>Only one account per system: Only one account at the same time. If you need japanese games and use DD so much you'll need more than one memory card anyway, just swap them and bam there you go. You don't even need to have more than one, it's just for the convenience. If changing WiFi, theme and wallpaper settings is so terrible for you then yeah, you're fucked. I guess you prefer not having the option of accessing other regions at all.

>You can't use the browser while playing games: It would be cool to have it but it will eventually come, I'm pretty sure. Almost every time I'd rather use my PC to browse anyway.

>PSOne Classic Games Won't Be Available At Launch: Same as UMDs, I already have 2 consoles where I can play PSOne Classics, if they matter so much to me. I wouldn't buy a $250 machine to play PSOne Classics, too.

>You Can't Manage Your Vita With A Mac: I don't have a Mac.

There, not so doomy and gloomy now.

I pretty much agree with this response word for word. I would have liked PSone support, but it sounds like that's coming so no big deal. I'm sure I'll be busy with the launch titles until it gets implemented.

herod

I'm sure this can be changed at any time. And I think the DVD9 thing is worse when you consider the difference in resolutions between the devices. Only games with lots of pre-rendered video will become a problem (like Uncharted).

Like some wags have pointed out already, many games don't even manage 720p, the resolution difference isn't so huge. Even some PS2 games used dual-layer DVDs.

The Xbox 360 supposedly uses processor cores to do lots of decompression on the fly, this doesn't sound exactly ideal for portable battery life though. I'm sure that bigger ROMs should have made a lot more sense, it doesn't really add up to me.

gogogow

>No on board memory: I agree on this one, they should have included 512MB or something like that. I don't think it will impact much our daily gaming but it's silly not to have it.

>Memory Cards are a requirement for many games, games won't even start without Memory Cards: Who wasn't going to buy a 4GB card for $25? Who would use their Vita without one? The real flaw is not having on board memory, memory cards themselves are fine.
Memory cards themselves are fine indeed, but the real flaw is using proprietary memory cards and not MicroSD/M2. Sony are charging a leg and arm for one, no matter the capacity.

Well, obviously, you switch one account for the other. But I never had much problem synchronizing my trophy list (level 9 here) on different consoles to be honest, something like 3 to 5 minutes.

The second part is the problem, account locked content, but it's the same on PSP.

@bandresen: you can always take the card out, I really doubt it can make you format your card to use a different account. It would be stupid :/

The level you're at isn't the problem, its the amount of games you've played. 9 is pretty low really, so I imagine you don't have that many games in your list. I'm level 23, have over 100 games on my list and it takes for fucking ever.

As for the second bit, the PSP didn't have friend list support or trophies though. Sony should've realised that this changes things and made it so that you can at least have 2 or 3 accounts on it.

Interesting that you have a different experience. There must be around 20 threads on this forum where people have shared early demos or exclusive betas and I have not once kept the throwaway account on my PS3 to be able to play them.

Also I didn't know the PSP locked content per account. If the Vita does this then all hope is lost.

I got that slightly wrong before. Demos aren't attached to a User Account but games are. So I can download the Rayman demo on my US account, delete it and it'll still work. But if I download Wizardry and delete it, it won't.

Why don't you guys just scream "YOU'RE A FANBOY!" to each other out loud?

This thread is some kind of annoying passive aggressive hall of shame.

Yeah, because copy paste post from Gamefaqs system war, and with the op´s history, everyone should turn a blind eye for it. The annoying thing is you defending his copy paste shit from gamespot without calling him on it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yes you're right but things like battery replacement (Pandora), propietary Memory (You needed to change MSticks during the first hacking procesess on PSP) are direct consequences from that. Sony is only protecting itself. Bad and shit news, right but I can understand it.

Then find a way to sell a sku with a reasonably priced bulkier battery, and sell memory cards at reasonable rates.

Locking the system down with a short battery life and gouged memory prices is just going to make people more interested in a hacked vita. Then when it's already hacked making the jump to piracy is easy.

My 14 year old cousin is perfect example, he never pirated anything on his wii. Then when he xenoblade is awesome but you need to work around it he did that, and has pirated all his games since then. Stuff like that pushes non pirates to the edge "well it's already hacked might as well pirate to!"

Why don't you guys just scream "YOU'RE A FANBOY!" to each other out loud?

This thread is some kind of annoying passive aggressive hall of shame.

I'm all up for a reasonable discussion regarding the Vita's problems but going through the OP's thread titles it's obvious he's made it his mission to post negative stories regarding Sony's portable.

Meanwhile, 3DS has the greatest launch lineup of next year.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
OP's post history is very telling.

Indeed. Just look at the threads he's started. If he doesn't have a real-world, vested interest in Nintendo, I'll eat my hat. Stocks, employment, whatever. He's too business oriented to be a rabid fanboy - too cogent as well. Probably just a viral marketer.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, because copy paste post from Gamefaqs system war, and with the op´s history, everyone should turn a blind eye for it. The annoying thing is you defending his copy paste shit from gamespot without calling him on it.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not defending anyone.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is some crazy shit.

Get out of cover before posting, buddy.

Midou

Since will I play the Vita mostly at home, the battery life won't effect me (It's the same with the 3DS and well all handhelds ever for me), so far the only major problems that likely won't be fixed soon are the mem card prices, it will always be shitty that they are needed though. If that 40% off rumour is true for digital games, it will make the card prices less of an impact at least.

Most of the flaws are stuff I would not use anyways, like TV output or browser in game.

These flaws didn't bother me with the 3DS, and they will not bother me with the Vita, since all I want in the end, is games.

WanderingWind

WHAT?! Are you a fanboy?! Did you see the OP's post history?!

You're part of the Nintendo conspiracy, man!

You know, you can point out the flaws about a thing, or conversely be for a thing and still recognize when you're being played for a fool. The Vita clearly has issues. I personally will not be buying one.

However, if you're really defending the OP, you're sort of throwing your hat into the wrong arena.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has it been confirmed that Sony is never releasing their management software for Mac. I'm surprised they haven't by this point but I thought they would for the Vita launch.

I'm sure it'll come eventually but I was just really surprised about that particular point. It's something that never occured to me as being an issue and I hadn't heard about it until now.

Brazil

You know, you can point out the flaws about a thing, or conversely be for a thing and still recognize when you're being played for a fool. The Vita clearly has issues. I personally will not be buying one.

However, if you're really defending the OP, you're sort of throwing your hat into the wrong arena.

I'm not defending anyone, man. I'm just trying to exemplify how ridiculous some of the posts in this thread are.

Who cares if the OP has an agenda (I'm not saying he does)? As you've said yourself, all the points he illustrated in his post are valid complaints about the Vita. Shouldn't we be discussing them instead of this one guy's post history?

To me, it just sounds like the people accusing the OP of being a fanboy so vehemently are actually fanboys of the opposite side just trying to dodge his arguments in denial.

Laguna

Banned
It´s really astonishing how much hate-posts against a Gaf-member are coming from Sonyfanboys in this thread. If there is anything wrong in his OP just say what is wrong, I think pramath is more than willing to correct it if he made any mistakes. But obviously it´s basically just fanboy rage in this thread.

Atleast I learned in this thread that having no 3D at all is a plus...

Arbitrary, expensive, proprietary memory cards? Kiss my ass, Sony.

Here's hoping someone puts out a cheap microSD housing vitacard right after launch.

WanderingWind

I'm not defending anyone, man. I'm just trying to exemplify how ridiculous some of the posts in this thread are.

Who cares if the OP has an agenda (I'm not saying he does)? As you've said yourself, all the points he illustrated in his post are valid complaints about the Vita. Shouldn't we be discussing them instead of this one guy's post history?

To me, it just sounds like the people accusing the OP of being a fanboy so vehemently are actually fanboys of the opposite side just trying to dodge his arguments in denial.

Except there is a legit way to discuss things, and an underhanded way. When your entire post history is about one company, and against another, that reeks of viral marketing. It's not even a discussion whether or not those people exist here. Some are obviously better than others at hiding it.

So, we want to discuss the Vita? Fine. Let's do that. But not on the terms of somebody who has an interest in ensuring the discussion is guided toward the one conclusion they're being paid to do so.

And I'm not a fanboy of either company. I'm a PC RPG gamer and I own a Wii and PS3. So, "accusing" the OP of underhandednes doesn't necessitate fanboyism. It just necessitates the ability to read his posting history.

Big One

Banned
Except there is a legit way to discuss things, and an underhanded way. When your entire post history is about one company, and against another, that reeks of viral marketing. It's not even a discussion whether or not those people exist here. Some are obviously better than others at hiding it.

So, we want to discuss the Vita? Fine. Let's do that. But not on the terms of somebody who has an interest in ensuring the discussion is guided toward the one they're being paid to do so.

And I'm not a fanboy of either company. I'm a PC RPG gamer and I own a Wii and PS3. So, "accusing" the OP of underhandednes doesn't necessitate fanboyism. It just necessitates the ability to read his posting history.

Dude come on not everyone is a viral marketer, that's just pointing fingers. Even if he was his points are still perfectly valid for the most part.

Brazil

So, we want to discuss the Vita? Fine. Let's do that. But not on the terms of somebody who has an interest in ensuring the discussion is guided toward the one conclusion they're being paid to do so.

Can't we just ignore the guy, then? The cards are on the table. We don't need the dealer anymore.

WanderingWind

Dude come on not everyone is a viral marketer, that's just pointing fingers. Even if he was his points are still perfectly valid for the most part.

Who said everybody is? And "even if he was" you're okay with this? Really?

Okay. Well, there really is no arguing that one - you got me there.

Can't we just ignore the guy, then? The cards are on the table. We don't need the dealer anymore.

Yeah, absolutely. It's pretty easy to ignore this particular poster in the future. To be honest, I really don't think those shenanigans are necessary. The Vita has a hell of an up road battle and I think it's going to be unsuccessful on it's own merits.

The only really big con I see is the proprietary memory cards, and the lack of memory card included with the system. It effectively brings up the price of a system by $30.

Battery life issues are a problem for all mobile devices. Smartphones, laptops, anything mobile have these problems because battery tech is behind.

I don't see any of the other issues to be really big cons.

I don't buy handheld systems so won't be picking up a Vita.

faridmon

To be honest with you, the only minus in my book is the price entry. Yes, in America is only 250 Dollars. But here in UK, its 230 pounds which is equivlent to 360 dollars (and its more expensive than the PS3)

Huff

Banned

And there are three different, current threads going on with discussion about those problems. What does this thread hope to accomplish?

max-pain

- No onboard flash memory (I still can't believe this)
- 2012 launch for the west (IMO even the december launch in Japan is a little bit late)
- No Monster Hunter in Japan

- No GPS in the Wifi model

- No micro HDMI output

- No standard micro USB port

The only issue I have is the memory card, but it's a one time investment so it's not huge for me. As long as it has good software, I should be fine with the system.

Top Bottom