• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Consolidated List Of All PS Vita Flaws

VanWinkle

My biggest issues are no onboard memory (especially when there are games that require a memory card. That is ridiculous beyond all else) and memory card prices. Also dumb, though, is one account per handheld and the hoops you have to jump through to change accounts, and no ps1 games or web browser while gaming at launch. At least those last two will be rectified.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
32GB card being nearly half the price of the system itself is hi-larious. That alone makes me want to not buy the handheld at all based on principle. I mean, you can buy a damn Class 10 32GB Micro SD card for $60.

Famassu

For clarity for people just finding out about this one, you can change accounts, you're not stuck with one account for the life of the system. The problem is you have to jump through extra hoops every time you want to change it, like resetting to factory settings.
Isn't there a possibility that that was just a bad translation? That it will be the same as with PSP where it just renders content unusable, but doesn't outright format the system?

>You can't use the browser while playing games: It might seem like I am nitpicking here, but seriously, what the f**k is this? This is no biggie, I can always just use my smartphone or my PC if I want to consult a walkthrough, but why can't the Vita do this when even the 3DS can?
As far as I know, they've said they will patch in this function in the future too. It just won't be available day 1.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Current pricing philosophy has really changed how I look at buying a VITA. Sure, I'll buy one (and not play it) but I don't think it'll be at launch anymore.

pramath

Banned
I am inclined to call shenanigans on the OP. Too many references to Sony getting away with things Nintendo doesn't, assumptions about things like batter life, Majora's Mask avatar, and the same OP who urged people not to wait for the 3DS redesign. That's just how it looks to me personally, I'm not trying to be accusatory.

A lot of these things dampen my enthusiasm for the system though. Region free gaming is a major selling point to me, and it looks like that won't be easily acheived. Those memory card prices are painful as well. I think I'll see how final impressions are when the system launches, but I'll likely wait a while before jumping in.

I prefer Nintendo and the 3DS to Sony and the Vita, I have made this clear, and I do not make any bones about this fact.
However, I am still very excited for the Vita (the PSP was my second most favorite system this generation, behind only the DS, so I expect great things from its successor), and am getting it next summer.

As for some of your other points:
a) The references to Sony getting away with things that Nintendo cannot, or even Microsoft cannot, are true
b) Where did I make an assumption about battery life? These are official Sony figures.
c) I love Majora's Mask, it is one of my all time favorites, and the best 3D Zelda, according to me :)
d) I still stand by the fact that anyone waiting for a 3DS redesign with dual analogs and ZL/ZR buttons incorporated is going to be waiting forever.

Takao

Banned
Lol, people really complain about symmetrical inputs? :lol

I'll add in the Mac Support and internet browser update portions to the OP.

Microsoft has made people say weird things. You also forgot the fact it doesn't have L2, or R2 buttons. Nor do the sticks have R3, and L3 functionality. Guess we're waiting for the frankenstick for Vita too... As well, it won't remote play all of your PS3 games. Heck, it won't remote play anything at launch...

I thought the PSOne compatibility was fine, it's just the other emulators they're having problems with ratings and licenses (TG-16). Since each release got it's on ESRB rating or something like that.

If the PS2 was able to emulate the PSOne through software, I think the Vita is fully capable.

It's not a hardware problem. From the sounds of it, it seems they just didn't have enough time to optimize the emulator prior to launch. I imagine they were quite busy making sure the PSP emulator works.

they did?!!!!! yes!

Sony engineer said so. Seems the Mac version will come really soon.

'best' launch lineup...

Doesn't seem that much different from psp launch lineup (which wasn't that bad, now I think about it).

Only thing noticeable is uncharted. Are reviews out yet? The game looks purty but all the preview coverage only showed like 1-2 locations. I fear a rather short campaign and no mp (unless this was confirmed somewhere).

Short campaigns for consoles is fine, but I usually expect at least 20 hours of enjoyment out of portable games. I'm not sure why o_O.

pramath

Banned
Microsoft has made people say weird things. You also forgot the fact it doesn't have L2, or R2 buttons. Nor do the sticks have R3, and L3 functionality. Guess we're waiting for the frankenstick for Vita too... As well, it won't remote play all of your PS3 games. Heck, it won't remote play anything at launch...

It's not a hardware problem. From the sounds of it, it seems they just didn't have enough time to optimize the emulator prior to launch. I imagine they were quite busy making sure the PSP emulator works.

Sony engineer said so. Seems the Mac version will come really soon.

I mean, I like the 360 controller more than the Dualshock myself, but symmetrical controls is such an odd complaint :/
As for L2/R2 and L3/R3, those are not needed. The touch screen and touch pad can emulate them, if needed at all. I still think that the Vita has more than enough control inputs to make up for a few missing buttons.
And Remote Play never worked, it will never work. I highly doubt it's a feature many were looking forward to, so I don't think it should be counted as a knock against the system.

Good thread. Out of that list, lack of on-board memory and the ridiculous prices for cards are my lone beefs with the Vita. Price is acceptable, I have a Windows-based PC, and I've gotten all the mileage out of the PSP games I owned, most of which are digital so if I ever decide to play one, I have the option.

If I pony up for one of those ridiculous memory cards, that is. And around and around we go.

The DLC bullshit that's been popping up recently has me smacking my forehead... Sony is going to do a great job at driving more people away from dedicated handhelds.

beast786

Expensive memory card is my own personal issue.

But it would have been really nice if OP also constructed a list of positive as well. Then the thread would have been very useful

Honestly Takao should have went ahead with his version of this thread since it would have had a greater impact.

as for the flaws the 2 that really sting are the lack of onboard storage and the Memory card prices.

pramath

Banned

But it would have been really nice if OP also constructed a list of positive as well. Then the thread would have been very useful

I can do that, but the list is too long :p
Plus anyway, those are well enough known, it is basically the flaws of the system that tend to be overlooked.

'best' launch lineup...

Doesn't seem that much different from psp launch lineup (which wasn't that bad, now I think about it).

Only thing noticeable is uncharted. Are reviews out yet? The game looks purty but all the preview coverage only showed like 1-2 locations. I fear a rather short campaign and no mp (unless this was confirmed somewhere).

Short campaigns for consoles is fine, but I usually expect at least 20 hours of enjoyment out of portable games. I'm not sure why o_O.

you must not bbuy many handheld games

I mean, I like the 360 controller more than the Dualshock myself, but symmetrical controls is such an odd complaint :/
As for L2/R2 and L3/R3, those are not needed. The touch screen and touch pd can emulate them, if needed at all. I still think that the Vita has more than enough control inputs to make up for a few missing buttons.
And Remote Play never worked, it will never work. I highly doubt it's a feature many were looking forward to, so I don't think it should be counted as a knock against the system.

odd? You should see the fury of frankenstick. I'm pretty sure that feels fine as well.

I really wouldn't mind a list of all the flaws of the system and I was taking the thread seriously up to were I read all of it is a simple 3DS vs. Vita comparison.

To me, two things are more of a problem than any of that list, The entry price and the dumb 1 account limitation.

pramath

Banned
Honestly Takao should have went ahead with his version of this thread since it would have had a greater impact.

as for the flaws the only 2 that really stings are the lack of storage and the MC card prices.
I'm trying to be a more important and prolific GAF member, how will I become one unless I can make threads that are important and generate discussion? :(

Gravijah

-can play video games
-looks like something you might kiss
-95/100 graphical metascore

Reasonable Explanations

A very nice response! Good to see that you are open about your opinions, and grounded as well. It is a good list of potential grievances.

The battery issue though: I won't believe any figures getting thrown around until it's in the wild and people test it with different games. Medium could be well and truly bright enough, and the 3-5 could be closer to 5 with most games... history has taught me fact sheets rarely undersell a machine though, so I'm not getting my hopes up!

I agree that most of those are negligible, but the expensive as hell memory is definitely a con.

Yeah, I can see how this could be an issue for some who want larger capacity, but in all honesty I won't be getting anything over 4GB most likely. I just don't see myself needing it at the moment as I don't purchase a ton of stuff, and don't ever replay most games once I'm done with them.

What would you consider an actual con for a home console/handheld device?
My number one priority for a system is new types of gameplay options opened up through new control inputs, new types of core system features, etc. I don't want to see the same exact control inputs as I did last gen as the main stay. For instances, I was immediately turned off of the 360 because it did nothing at all for control. It was the same set up as the past ten years delivered, and it didn't even manage at least put their own spin on anything. Just a really good traditional controller. That's cool, but it will never grab me.

This applies a bit less for portables understandably, considering their very nature, but you get my drift.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The memory card issue is the only thing that really bothers me. They even included a 32 mb card for the cheapest PSP bundle so you could at least save games, and they can't even do that for the Vita? I also had no idea the 3ds had a GB of onboard memory. I thought the SD card was all it has. It's ironic because I'm pretty sure 3ds games save to the gamecart's own memory.

Ravage

The only one i have issues with is the 'One PSN Account' rule. Really hope Sony reconsider their stance but i'm definitely getting one for launch no matter what. The sexy hardware and game lineup makes the Vita so irresistible to me :3

Price is still brutally high. I simply cannot conceive of any gaming handheld succeeding for long at that price in 2011/2.

3DS didn't really pick up until after the price drop and it was 'just' $250, the Vita's entry price is at least $300+.

The only one i have issues with is the 'One PSN Account' rule. Really hope Sony reconsider their stance but i'm definitely getting one for launch no matter what. The sexy hardware and game lineup makes the Vita so irresistible to me :3

I agree.

Striek

I'm sorry, even with your disclaimer, your blatant shilling of the 3DS with the threads you've made combined with this thread is too much. How are you not banned. You are not the appropriate person to start this discussion legitimately.

you must not bbuy many handheld games

most of my library is handheld games o_O.

Now I think about it, the only decent 'short' games I've played are the god of war psp stuff, which I just borrowed from a friend and wizzed through them in a weekend.

Activity log on my 3ds shows that I've spend about 20 hours on every game I've 'finished' this year and that doesn't include the time I've spend on my ds.

Seriously, what are noticeable portable games that are 6-8 hours long besides God of war? Were the portable ratchet, daxter, other sony stuff short? Need to pick those up someday.

pramath

Banned
A very nice response! Good to see that you are open about your opinions, and grounded as well. It is a good list of potential grievances.

The battery issue though: I won't believe any figures getting thrown around until it's in the wild and people test it with different games. Medium could be well and truly bright enough, and the 3-5 could be closer to 5 with most games... history has taught me fact sheets rarely undersell a machine though, so I'm not getting my hopes up!

Thank you! :)
Personally, ever since the DS Lite, I have always kept all my handhelds at medium settings (except for the 3DS, which I usually use at highest... I don't know why :/), so I think I will be getting something closer to 5 hours out of the Vita. I remember when people used to complain about the PSP's battery life so much, and I could easily squeeze 7-9 hours from the system no problems (with wireless ALWAYS off though. My model was a PSP 2000).

What bothers me is not the issues in the OP except for the Memory Card prices, it's some of the games forced DLC to enjoy the game fully particularly Scamco games. It's like buying Mario to play World 1 and buy the rest of the Worlds as DLC, while they are at they might offer buying the Princess from Bowser or fighting him. I hope this trend doesn't become a popular among Vita games.

pramath

Banned
I'm sorry, even with your disclaimer, your blatant shilling of the 3DS with the threads you've made combined with this thread is too much. How are you not banned. You are not the appropriate person to start this discussion legitimately.

Again, I like the 3DS more than the Viat. However, I still like the Vita. Liking one does not preclude the possibility of liking the other, contrary to whatever your time on gaming forums might have taught you.
I am incredibly excited for the Vita, but I believe it has flaws, and I will point them out. These are all things I feel that are wrong with the system. I could make an equally long list of issues I have with the 3DS. Point is, I should not have to just to justify myself to you.

As to why I am not banned, why should I be? I have never once made a post where I do not back up my (sometimes controversial) opinions without solid facts and logical reasoning.

I'm curious to.

I did not put in the lowest number, I put in the number for the medium settings, as per Sony's release documents.

so people expect to play a cpu/gpu intensive game like Uncharted Vita and be able to easily swap to a browser to watch youtube video and tweet people about their GPS position?

ummm....how much do you expect your battery to last?

I'm trying to be a more important and prolific GAF member, how will I become one unless I can make threads that are important and generate discussion? :(

One step would be to participate in discussions not only dealing with Nintendo stuff? ( Post History..). It makes you really look one sided and to be dismissed just as quickly.

edit: see its happening already

>No TV output: Not really a deal breaker, but a definite step back from all their other PSP models since the PSP 2000, which have included a TV out. An obviously deliberate omission to be included in a future revision.

You think so? I figured it was omitted since there's a touch-screen now. I guess it could still work, but it's a bit different than remembering button placement.

Respawn

Banned
Again, I like the 3DS more than the Vit. However, I still like the Vita. Liking one does not preclude the possibility of liking the other, contrary to whatever your time on gaming forums might have taught you.
I am incredibly excited for the Vita, but I believe it has flaws, and I will point them out. These are all things I feel that are wrong with the system. I could make an equally long list of issues I have with the 3DS. Point is, I should not have to just to justify myself to you.

As to why I am not banned, why should I be? I have never once made a post where I do not back up my (sometimes controversial) opinions without solid facts and logical reasoning.

I did not put in the lowest number, I put in the number for the medium settings, as per Sony's release documents.

I would wait a few months after launch to put up a flaws list. Was this necessary?

edit: Ahh so he is trolling?

What bothers me is not the issues in the OP except for the Memory Card prices, it's some of the games forced DLC to enjoy the game fully particularly Scamco games. It's like buying Mario to play World 1 and buy the rest of the Worlds as DLC, while they are at they might offer buying the Princess from Bowser or fighting him. I hope this trend doesn't become a popular among Vita games.

and that's why Ridge Racer Vita will flop.

Not that his points aren't valid (Most of them are), but it's crazy how obsessed pramath is with promoting the 3DS over the Vita. Just a cursory look at his topic creation history, it's amazing how hard some people will work without receiving a dime in compensation. Dude puts AceBandage/Nuclear Muffin to shame.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The memory card debacle is the only problem I have with it and even then that is negated through money - though the damn things will be priced at a premium no doubt.

I am hoping for custom firmware and homebrew shenanigans to combat the account registry and backwards compatibility issues. Then again I've been hoping for a 3rd party solution so the region lock on the 3DS is gone though I feel I will have to wait for a lot longer than usual :p

pramath

Banned
One step would be to participate in discussions not only dealing with Nintendo stuff? (dude your Post History). It makes you really look one sided and to be dismissed just as quickly.

I generally only deal with handhelds (no matter the manufacturer), and Nintendo consoles.
The PS3 is actually my favorite console this generation, but the issue is, ever since I moved to the US for college, literally the only systems I have on me are my DS, 3DS, PSP, iPod Touch, and my laptop which won't run most games. My roommate has an Xbox 360 and a Wii, but he buys only shooters for the Xbox, and nothing for the Wii.
The first HD console game I bought in more than a year was Skyrim (and I have been very enthusiastic about my love for that game, I believe it is the best game I have played in over a decade).
However, I find myself unable to participate in non Nintendo/non handheld discussions due to me not having access to most games on HD consoles (in fact you will notice barring Zelda, I have not even discussed Wii games all that much).

Ranger X

I don't agree on the price entry point. People are buying Ipods IN SPADES at that price. I don't see why they wouldn't buy a Vita in that sense. If they don't, it probably won't be because of the price.

Personally I am not touching the Vita for thoses reasons:

- Games seems to be "home console" style while I want experiences that are complementary to console's.
- Battery life
- Expensive memcards
- No TV output

LOCK

Seeing all of those in one post really hits home at how much they really have left to improve.

Oh wells, plan to buy one sometime next year.

web01

Damn I did not know about not being able to swap out the battery yourself.
That is a huge flaw, nearly enough stop me buying one.

pramath

Banned
I didn't realize you already played and owned vita. Now I am glad you made the thread, as I always perfer Gaf reviews than professional sites

I haven't. I am just going by the current state of their announced libraries, and basic history that indicates Nintendo usually knows the handheld market better than anyone else. I may be wrong, in which case, I will still be covered since I will be owning a Vita after all ;)

Takao

Banned
You think so? I figured it was omitted since there's a touch-screen now. I guess it could still work, but it's a bit different than remembering button placement.

Until the PSPgo, the TV out on PSPs required you to still have the PSP in your hands. For touch things, that can still work. I really do believe that they're saving TV out for a revision due to fears of hurting PS3 sales in Japan.

welcome to the world of .99 cent "games"

Top Bottom