• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

I enjoyed Halo 4 for new enemies, the cut-scenes, a nice clean look (Halo Reach was ugly and drab), H4 was the master chief again and on his own - no noble team or blue team. Plus 343 made the pistol serviceable again for the first time in forever. In Reach, Bungie was like, "yeah we're gonna make you shoot someone five times, all with bloom." Pfft pointless weapon. I'm interested in replaying Reach again to see if my opinion has changed, but it is close to my least favorite campaign, maybe tied for Halo 5. I think Halo 5's campaign is the worst, but Reach is pretty close for me. My order would be as follows: CE > H4 > H3 and then everything else.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Halo 4 for new enemies, the cut-scenes, a nice clean look (Halo Reach was ugly and drab), H4 was the master chief again and on his own - no noble team or blue team. Plus 343 made the pistol serviceable again for the first time in forever. In Reach, Bungie was like, "yeah we're gonna make you shoot someone five times, all with bloom." Pfft pointless weapon. I'm interested in replaying Reach again to see if my opinion has changed, but it is close to my least favorite campaign, maybe tied for Halo 5. I think Halo 5's campaign is the worst, but Reach is pretty close for me. My order would be as follows: CE > H4 > H3 and then everything else.

I like the Reach campaign. I cant wait to play again in 4k60

Reactions: RSB
I like the Reach campaign. I cant wait to play again in 4k60
I think most people do or at least the general consensus is that Reach is one of the better campaigns. It is hard for me to play through though because of the changes to physics and gun-play. Not as floaty as previous halo games. The introduction of abilities was probably inevitable but i still think that was a mistake. Then add bloom to the equation and the drab graphics. I just didnt really jive with Reach.

There are things i did like though. While a lot of people love the introduction of the pro-pipe, my favorite new weapon in Reach was the needle-rifle. Sad it only made it into one game. I enjoyed the jet packs and i think the jet packs with fall damage was smart. Fall damage should have been increased imo, and been a thing in Halo 4.

EDIT: Hey Havoc2049 Havoc2049 I forgot to mention that I got through The Thursday War. It's the 2nd in the Kilo-5 trilogy and i'm just reading through it to know what happens. So far, neither of the first two books has really impressed me. I hate so many of the characters lol. Dr. Osman - thumbs down. Parangosky? Thumbs down. Naomi? Thumbs down. Vaz? Thumbs down. My favorite characters are Dr. Phillips and maybe Mal. Jul 'Mdama and BB are just okay. The reason I even brought it up though was because I'm taking a side break and reading Silent Storm now. Only through the first two chapters, but i'm already more interested in what is going on than I have been through much The Thursday War. Anyway, the reading continues.

I've also been playing some more TMCC too. I've been breaking up my time in HCE with achievement hunting. One HCE note, though. I've gotten two different completely different messages from random players that I've been matched up against. One guy felt sorry for me because I kept getting paired up with really bad players and having to match up against him and better players. Nicest message i've ever received on xbox live lol. Then I got the opposite end of the spectrum. Some guy threw some derogatory comments my way, making me fun of me. Not sure why though. He was playing with a full-team and I kept getting not so great teammates. He'll probably enjoy his temp ban because i reported the messages.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I actually own the Kilo 5 Trilogy but never read them. The reception on the internet to all those books was so bad that I put off reading them. 🤣

I’ve actually been playing a decent amount of MCC. I’ve been going after the nameplates and already have the YY one. Playing through Halo CE on Legendary and I’m about half way through. I’ve finished H3, H3 ODST and 4 on Legendary, but only Heroic on CE and H2. Then I’ll get the Legendary achievement.

I’ll be on tonight after work is you are game.

Last edited:
I actually own the Kilo 5 Trilogy but never read them. The reception on the internet to all those books was so bad that I put off reading them. 🤣

I’ve actually been playing a decent amount of MCC. I’ve been going after the nameplates and already have the YY one. Playing through Halo CE on Legendary and I’m about half way through. I’ve finished H3, H3 ODST and 4 on Legendary, but only Heroic on CE and H2. Then I’ll get the Legendary achievement.

I’ll be on tonight after work is you are game.
Good choice! I've already gone through the first two, so i feel obligated to finish the third. Honestly, I am interested in seeing more on Jul. I know he plays a big part in the last book.

Anyway, I wish I could get in some games tonight. I'm at work right now and working nights through Sunday. I still need to play through all but CE on legendary and just can't get myself to spend the time to do it. They take so long and I'm not motivated enough yet. At some point eventually.

Edit2: lol more books came into the library. Ive got some reading to do!
6zlQNui.jpg
sorry. didn't realize the size of the image i posted lol

Last edited:
I'm on a roll! Just finished reading Silent Storm. A much more enjoyable read, shorter too, than Glasslands. Time to bite the bullet and start Mortal Dictata. The more books I read, the cooler Sergeant Johnson becomes. It's cool to see the relationship he developed with the spartans before the first events of Halo ever happened. He is so down to earth. Regarding Silent Storm, I loved following the reactions the Sangheili had when dealing with the spartans. Just completely underestimated them. I also thought the book was really sad with almost all of the black daggers getting killed or captured. Maybe the author did it just to lighten the mood, but finding out that the captured ODST's literally laughed in the face of their torture at the end was pretty cool. Was frustrated dealing with/reading everything Nyeto and all the traitors did.

Last edited:
Here's a small update from Ske7ch on Reach progress for TMCC:

As well as the latest community update:

There’s people here that are still playing Halo? If yes, hit me up. GT: I Sir Guts I <<< that’s an i btw
What are your preferences? Like what halo matchmaking do you like most? If Havoc2049 is on we will play some games, but im not on consistently enough and my work hours are weird. I love halo ce slayer and spend a good chunk of my time in the social playlist. Lately though ive been knocking out some achievements. My gamertag is XxDeputyMoonman (really need to get that changed.) My original tag from when xbox live started is just Deputy Moonman. But i cancelled my subscription at some point and when i tried to start it back up they wouldnt give me my tag back. So i had to resort to using my current tag. I refuse to pay 10 dollars for a name change. I guess im cheap lol. You can add me. Im willing to play anything, but i still need to get a working headset lol.

Mista

Banned
What are your preferences? Like what halo matchmaking do you like most? If Havoc2049 is on we will play some games, but im not on consistently enough and my work hours are weird. I love halo ce slayer and spend a good chunk of my time in the social playlist. Lately though ive been knocking out some achievements. My gamertag is XxDeputyMoonman (really need to get that changed.) My original tag from when xbox live started is just Deputy Moonman. But i cancelled my subscription at some point and when i tried to start it back up they wouldnt give me my tag back. So i had to resort to using my current tag. I refuse to pay 10 dollars for a name change. I guess im cheap lol. You can add me. Im willing to play anything, but i still need to get a working headset lol.
I play the original playlist but anything Halo I’m down mate! I’ll add you and message you

Havoc2049

I play the original playlist but anything Halo I’m down mate! I’ll add you and message you

Welcome!

I just added you. GT: MajorHavoc 2049

I play both MCC and Halo 5, although lately I've been focusing on MCC. I also play a ton of Destiny 2, Sea of Thieves and Elite Dangerous.

Moonman: I just got the 300 Victories achievement the other day! Woot! lol

Mista

Banned
Welcome!

I play both MCC and Halo 5, although lately I've been focusing on MCC. I also play a ton of Destiny 2, Sea of Thieves and Elite Dangerous.

Added you back. I haven’t put much time in SoT unfortunately

I got a killtac in the 8v8 HCE playlist last night. I think most were stolen kills and at least one person was afk lol. Whenever i rewatch my clips I realize im a little wild and sloppy with my shot, but you can get away with a lot.
Sloppy!

Welcome!

Haha woot woot! I saw you completed CE on legendary too. Ive been collecting halo 2 skulls and toys. Only 3 levels to go.
Added you back. I haven’t put much time in SoT unfortunately
I added you too.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I got a killtac in the 8v8 HCE playlist last night. I think most were stolen kills and at least one person was afk lol. Whenever i rewatch my clips I realize im a little wild and sloppy with my shot, but you can get away with a lot.
Sloppy!

Haha woot woot! I saw you completed CE on legendary too. Ive been collecting halo 2 skulls and toys. Only 3 levels to go.

I added you too.
Cool clip! Nice off-lining and movement. I don't think it was sloppy at all. That map is hectic and you have to move and think fast.

Here I am in Halo 5, using movement and cover in a successful 3 v 1 encounter.

Last edited:
Cool clip! Nice off-lining and movement. I don't think it was sloppy at all. That map is hectic and you have to move and think fast.

Here I am in Halo 5, using movement and cover in a successful 3 v 1 encounter.

Very nice! I love the ground pound at the end too. Even if im not the best aim, i try to use cover as effectively as i can. You used the raised platform on pegsus to great effect. Speaking of Pegasus, I was bitter against 343 for the longest time because it felt like they were never going to add new forge maps in halo 5 slayer. It was pegasus and then all dev-made maps. I feel it would have helped the population a bit.

EDIT:
The Yappening is over. I didn't get the nameplate for killing grunts, but i just wasn't motivated. 343 has added an 8v8 playlist for all the games, and I've been enjoying it.

Last edited:
Latest update from 343:

You can join the discussion on gaming side here:

I found this part interesting. They are working on some kind of progression system for TMCC. Not sure if that is only for Reach or all games.
"Looking ahead to our future milestones, one of the new features we’re delivering is a progression system for MCC. Initially, it will be a straightforward and familiar system that allows players to track their Halo gameplay experience and unlock rewards. Our plans for progression are much wider, however, and we have a few things up our sleeve that we hope will really engage the whole Halo community."

They are also working on a new support page for Halo which, although I've never specifically requested it, has been needed for a long time.
"After listening, using different tools, and talking with many people, we believe we have identified a new tool for the community to create a more efficient, scalable solution for players to share their feedback with our teams and get more information in return to further improving their game experiences. After many months of planning and years of preparation we are happy to announce a brand-new Halo Support site.

To improve how we listen to the community, we have built an entirely new support page that will eventually replace our Halo Waypoint support forums for specific titles. Participants of the Halo Insider Program will be the first to interact with Halo Support and work with us as we move towards providing these new tools for the entire community. The goal of this is to allow for an all-inclusive place for players to share high volumes of feedback, submit streamlined tickets around technical issues and bugs, and provide informative articles and resources to keep players up-to-date on known issues and development priorities for Halo titles."

Last edited:

Havoc2049

343 has always done a great job with community support. It is their biggest strength. They just need to get the Infinity team on board for the win! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
343 has always done a great job with community support. It is their biggest strength. They just need to get the Infinity team on board for the win! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Yep. I feel like 343 is killing right now. Hoping they can keep it up and follow through with Infinity. Then all my dreams will come true.

Chance to win a Halo 5 controller? Sure why not!

EDIT: People keep talking about Waypoint going under and I'm freaking out, thinking they're talking about Halowaypoint lol. Crisis averted!

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Chance to win a Halo 5 controller? Sure why not!

EDIT: People keep talking about Waypoint going under and I'm freaking out, thinking they're talking about Halowaypoint lol. Crisis averted!

Lol....To be honest, I’ve never even heard of the other Waypoint or even been to that site.

Last edited:
I may tune into this. Depends on when I wake up though lol. I'm working a night shift right now.

On a side note, I really hate that there is a South Korean music group named Halo. Anytime I want to do a quick search on twitter for Halo related news, more than half the posts that pop up are boy band related instead.

That is really wild. I don't remember anything about sprint being in Halo 2 during development. Personally, I'm glad it was left out. Interesting to see the different animations for it though.

Also another personal Halo clip :messenger_beaming: I was struggling early on but was able to sort of get it together at the end.

Last edited:
Found a random video while at work. So many things I didn't even know you could do in Halo. This guy determines where 3 grunts come from, found at the beginning of Assault on the Control Room.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Wow, I never knew that you could ride the Pelican down the air shaft in Assault on the Control Room. I’ll have to try it out.

Edit: CurryPanda and I have posted almost at exactly the same time the last two days. Get out of my head CurryPanda! Lol...j/k :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m thinking about going to the Halo Outpost Discovery in Anaheim.

BTW, the dude in the Outpost Discovery video. :messenger_sunglasses:
mary_hair.jpg

Last edited:
I came to post that tweet CyberPanda CyberPanda . I've been asleep all day so... Beaten lol. Looking forward to E3. This will be the 3rd year in a row I watch, expecting big news and reveals on Halo 6 at E3... If they don't actually show something substantial this year I'll be highly annoyed.

Havoc2049 Havoc2049 yeah apparently it doesn't work in TMCC, because the pelican flight path is bugged. I don't have my original copy of Halo or I'd give it a go.

This is fun. Only I don't stream lol.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

That is really wild. I don't remember anything about sprint being in Halo 2 during development. Personally, I'm glad it was left out. Interesting to see the different animations for it though.

Also another personal Halo clip :messenger_beaming: I was struggling early on but was able to sort of get it together at the end.
I'm kinda curious how Halo 2 would have played with Sprint, but honestly I'm happy that we got to experience the series without.

As much as I enjoy sprint in modern Halo, the classics are great as they are.

That 2v1 on Prisoner though, dayum! Nice precision pistol poppin there Deputy!

I'm kinda curious how Halo 2 would have played with Sprint, but honestly I'm happy that we got to experience the series without.

As much as I enjoy sprint in modern Halo, the classics are great as they are.

That 2v1 on Prisoner though, dayum! Nice precision pistol poppin there Deputy!
Thanks! I just want Infinite to have nailed down, tight game-play. Sprint is not preferable to me, but it's a minor thing compared to how the weapons and aiming feel, as well as the physics. I still think halo 4 was solid and would have fared better without all the abilities and perks. If 4 had Sprint and nothing else + static location power ups, I think it would have given halo 3 a run for it's money. Alas, it was overdone.

Is today the 10th? One month until MS has its E3 conference! So close yet so far :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
I was so busy playing halo last night I missed the community spotlight. Whoops!

Thanks for joining me for some games Havoc2049 Havoc2049 I got arrogant after starting hot with Halo 2's Turf. Then I didn't so so we'll lol. Halo 3... I try to like it but man it is just not my thing. Did you lag out of that last game?

Havoc2049

I was so busy playing halo last night I missed the community spotlight. Whoops!

Thanks for joining me for some games Havoc2049 Havoc2049 I got arrogant after starting hot with Halo 2's Turf. Then I didn't so so we'll lol. Halo 3... I try to like it but man it is just not my thing. Did you lag out of that last game?

Auto update kicked me off. It's usually never an issue, except for some zero dark thirty late night sessions. :messenger_beaming:

Auto update kicked me off. It's usually never an issue, except for some zero dark thirty late night sessions. :messenger_beaming:
Well you didn't miss much :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So, I've been breaking up my games with achievement hunting. Last night I did the achievement, Who Needs Them? Playing through the game on Legendary can be a pain at times, but usually you can just slog through most of it. Without using a vehicle on a vehicle level makes it much worse (Tsavo Highway wasn't as bad for some reason as there was much more cover and more weapons laying about). But yeesh, on the level The Ark I could not get on the dang scarab that's about a third of the way through the level. It's mostly open space, so you have to get down to the cover of the bottom structure without dying, while not running out of ammo, while surving ghosts and choppers. About halfway down the hill, the tanks will take out a couple of brutes with fuel rod guns. So I'd take those and get to the bottom structure, grab a grav lift, take out two additional grunts with fuel rod cannons, and then go run around shooting underneath scarab waiting for my incompetent unsc friends to take out a leg, which was almost never. Die, rinse and repeat for over an hour lol. Finally got it done with my patience at below zero levels.

I've been putting off doing Halo 2 Legendary, which i still need to do... If anyone ever wants to group up to do some levels hit me up.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I'm down for a Halo 2 Legendary run.

I just finished Halo CE on Legendary. The achievement artwork in MCC is amazing.

This is the one for finishing Halo CE on Legendary.
93733-hi.jpg

A Halo fan downloaded all the MCC Achievement pics in high quality. (don't bother looking if you're on mobile)
All MCC Achivement Art (maybe deserves a link on the front page?)

Last edited:
Ooh nice. Thanks for posting. That's a lot of images lol. I'm putting this one as my work desktop background for now.

I don't know when i'll be on again for any significant length of time, as I go back to days starting next week and I'm working nights this weekend, but the next time we're both online, I'm down for some Halo 2 campaign. May have to wait a couple of weeks though. If you decide to do some levels on your own in the meantime that's totally fine.

Also, I didn't see this post on Waypoint. A large BTB refresh/update for Halo 5 (I think this was supposed to come out months ago, but was delayed). I haven't touched Halo 5 in a while, but may be tempted to give it a go. I like me some 1-flag.

Last edited:
So while i was at work last night I watched Naded's twitch stream. His very first game in the TMCC BTB playlist he went 44-0 on some Halo 4 map... Apparently that is his highest streak without dying that he's ever had. He was pumped, and it was funny because at the end the other team knew and were trying to take him out. But he survived. :messenger_fire:

Last edited:
Okay so this is weird. I logged on this morning before work to get in a few games on TMCC. The game loaded and showed a new TMCC playlist update for HCE. Which adds something I've always wanted - an 8v8 BTB playlist that uses the smaller maps. But then i couldn't find the playlist and I can't find anything on twitter either. Weird.
MCC Playlist Update Info Found Here

Also a social stream happened yesterday and I completely missed lol.

Edit: update! I finally got in several games of the 8v8 Slayer mayhem playlist for HCE and loved it. Seems really easy to get on mismatched teams however and I was on the receiving end of some bad games lol. Waiting to find a game takes a little longer but it's worth it to me

Last edited:
Hey slackers! 😀 Here is the latest community update. Not a lot of new info though.

A Deputy Moonman Community Thread
Haha what can I say? I talk to myself. I try and limit new posts to relevant news or something new that I want to share/discuss. E3 is close at least! I try and generate discussion but I'm not the best at it.

Last edited:
Halo 4 had such amazing skyboxes. (Watch this on full screen)

That skybox is truly legit. It's been a long day at work and i haven't had much time to post other than to share some severe weather news in off-topic. I finished Broken Circle finally. Really enjoyed it. I didn't think that I would like following the sangheili and san'shyuum, but some really good stuff with Ussan Xellus and both the prophets of Clarity and Inner Conviction. I always just assumed that most san'shyuum were dicks, but I learned they can also be quite compassionate and make selfless decisions. It takes place somewhere from right after Halo 1 ends, through most of Halo 2, and then much later after the Covenant falls apart.. Up next? Last Light!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday HBO!

Edit: I started Spartan ops today. I barely remember it as I played through a few chapters and then gave it up back when halo 4 was still relevant. So today I thought I might try and get the achievement for completing all the episodes and chapters on legendary... Had no idea there are 50 chapters. Haha welp it will be a while before that is ever completed.

Last edited:
New community spotlight is out.

EDIT:
Got my first killtrocity in matchmaking ever. Kind of bummed that in CE the speaker doesn't go past killtacular, but that's a minor sadness lol.
Got it playing King of the Hill, but i'll take it :D

EDIT:
Working the third 12-hour shift in a row and listening to Halo cut-scenes from Halo Wars. I'm trying to collect everything I've learned from the books and the games and put them into a time-line in my brain lol. Didn't know much about Arcadia or Etran Harborage, but find it equally fascinating. The planet Arcadia is mentioned in Contact Harvest, but i don't know if the books ever go into that event or if that is strictly Halo Wars. I've still got to read several halo books. Working on Last Light right now and will probably read the Cole Protocol after that. Hopefully that will get me to E3 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Havoc2049 Havoc2049 are you gonna be around at all Monday or Tuesday night? I'll probably be on. Might do some Halo 2 campaign if you're up for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom