• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

This look like MCC news?

Not sure. Could be Reach related since 343 got all that pizza after announcing Reach for TMCC and TMCC for PC. But seems like he is purposely trying to come up with an acronym for LEGO. Would they ever do a Halo LEGO game? I've never been into those, but it would still be cool.

Last edited:
Not sure. Could be Reach related since 343 got all that pizza after announcing Reach for TMCC and TMCC for PC. But seems like he is purposely trying to come up with an acronym for LEGO. Would they ever do a Halo LEGO game? I've never been into those, but it would still be cool.
Am I missing something? How does LEGO fit into anything in those statements?

CyberPanda

Banned
Nice! Hopefully it means public flighting is just around the corner. Man I can't wait until e3. Interesting that Gears will be playable too.

Last edited:

Reach flighting starts in June? IN JUNE!! :D Adding to this, here is a massive update from 343 on Reach development progress. Get your reading glasses on!

4liSprD.gif

EDIT: In other news, I finally got the par scores for the Combat Evolved levels. I discovered that having the boom skull on and the grunt funeral skull on help a ton. On the level, Keyes, I was actually way behind on points at the end of the level. Grenades and killing grunts are your best friends. There are several locations within hallways, though, where flood just continuously spawn and you can rack up multiple kills in a row and tack on quick 1000 points at t ime. I also finally got my 250 flag medals achievement. Suffered through the wait times to get games and playing against jetpack and promethean abusing players in H4. It's the best game to get flag medals because there are so many different flag medals awarded in game.

Last edited:
This is the social stream from earlier today, also embedded in the update. They play an older build of Reach on steam. The level is Tip of the Spear. I'm watching right now. Seeing bloom in action again and im like, "no make it stop make it stop!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They give some disclaimers/caveats (flighting in June) at roughly at (06:45) and then get into the game at around (8:20).

EDIT: So they mention the custom game browser is still coming, but it's definitely something that requires more work, so may take a bit of time. Also, Interesting little tease at around the 40:30 minute mark about a general update coming out for TMCC in June (codenamed CU34). I wonder what that could be as Ske7ch seems to hint that the scope of the update even surprised him. Hype!

Last edited:
I haven't really been keeping up with the tournaments as of late, but DreamHack starts tomorrow. Should be good.

And surprisingly, a community update from 343 - some of it is rehash from yesterday's Reach development post, but also some other updates (Halo 5, Discovery Outpost, DreamHack, etc.)

Last edited:
I finished Last Light today. I liked it. Inspecter Lopis turned out to be a lot cooler than my initial impression of her - at first I wasn't sure if I liked her character. Seeing the Spartan III's work with Blue team was fun, but where was the Master Chief? I did not care for Intrepid Eye's behavior toward the end of the book. Intrepid Eye is supposed to be this really smart ancilla created by the forerunners. And the forerunners for the most part, were not a cruel race, but Intrepid Eye behaved like a bitch, and to me it didn't really fit the way I would expect a forerunner ancilla to behave (wiping out everyone and anything possible, including poor Wendell, especially after learning the truth about the forerunner's fate, etc.) I was disappointed to see Osman at the end rofl, but at least she wasn't busy disliking Halsey. The Kilo-Five trilogy really made me dislike her a bunch. It's like get over your petty hate of Halsey and the origins of the spartans (oh boo hoo your augmentation failed) and start appreciating the fact that you'd be dead if they hadn't been created at all. :D

EDIT:
Really cool news on the Halo TV series posted on Gaming Side by CurryPanda. Kiki talks about how ambitious they will be with it, trying to match some of the complex plots/relationships in Game of Thrones.

Gaming Side Discussion Here!

Edit2:
This is pretty cool. Looks like they're bringing some classic halo 3 tournaments to Europe.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Holy shit guys, Halo 5 is so hawt.

I just reinstalled and played a few matches of ranked where Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are disabled, and oh mah GAD it is heavenly. So buttery smooth and the weapons are precise as my K/D is shit.

Holy shit guys, Halo 5 is so hawt.

I just reinstalled and played a few matches of ranked where Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are disabled, and oh mah GAD it is heavenly. So buttery smooth and the weapons are precise as my K/D is shit.
Yeah Halo 5 feels really good. Sometimes the aiming is a bit fickle, but otherwise it isn't bad at all. I need to play some more but I'm punishing myself by trying to get par scores in halo 2 on legendary..

Reactions: RSB
Im off my game of keeping up with Halo news, but we are definitely getting something Lego related. Gaming side suspects it is a Forza Horizon 4 expansion. Or could it be VR related? Repost of some tweets:

stickkidsam

Deputy, you are more on your Halo news game than anyone here xD

Is anyone else sad that we didn't get a barn leak for Halo?

Deputy, you are more on your Halo news game than anyone here xD

Is anyone else sad that we didn't get a barn leak for Halo?
Yeah i'm kind of bummed overall. Just nothing that i expected at e3 happened. That we got another Halo trailer and no game footage is really depressing. I thought or hoped we would have all sorts of stuff to talk about after E3. Turns out, there isn't anything to talk about lol. And what was with all the hints about big surprises? I feel like, at least in regards to Halo, there was literally nothing new, nothing surprising whatsoever. The lego tweets had nothing to do with Halo, but were hints at the Forza Horizon 4 expansion. That megaconstrux tweet was not a tease or hint, but just a general tweet looking foward to Halo news.

About the only thing to discuss is where and when Halo Infinite takes place. They lost? Does that mean cortana destroyed everyone from Halo 5? Was the broken ring installation 07? That was where a lot of people speculated Infinite would take place. Most likely that trailer took place midway or even over halfway through the game's campaign. Oh well. Really sad and now we have to wait over a year for release on top of everything else. At this point it wouldn't surprise if at next year's E3 we get yet another trailer instead of game footage. They'll just release the game one day and you'll have to see the footage for yourself. Microsoft does not know how to deliver on hype, expectations, and momentum.

Last edited:

"I want to take a moment here to go deeper into the art, science and story of the in-game scene we’ve named “Discover Hope." These elements are not only deeply rooted in the Halo franchise, but illustrate the passion of the entire team to create something more ambitious than anything we’ve done previously. We don’t want to simply build a sequel, we want to build on the story and invention that has gone before and take the gameplay and narrative in bold new directions, while honoring the legacy that fans have fallen in love with for almost twenty years.

So with that immense responsibility in mind, we are building what we internally refer to as a spiritual reboot, a game with a vision set firmly in the future, but a foundation rooted deeply in the things our team and our fans have fallen in love with – the scope, the scale, the heroism and the moments of spectacle and wonder that brought players together on couches, at basement LAN parties, on Xbox Live and in esports arenas for years. The stories of shared adventure and individual discovery that made the first Halo game such a defining moment for millions of gamers – and helped chart the course for countless FPS games ever since. We want to recapture that sense of awe and delighted surprise – and the right way to do that is to lean into the things that are already magical, and build outward from there. "

"Music is critical to every Halo experience. It has been from the very beginning and in Halo Infinite, we’re taking that tradition very seriously. I am excited to introduce our new Music Supervisor, Joel Yarger, who led the creation of music for major franchises like God of War, Uncharted, and countless other blockbuster video games. Our Audio Director, Sotaro “Tajeen” Tojima, has challenged Joel to find accomplished music composers that can stay true to the musical traditions of Halo -- originally created by maestros Marty O’Donnell and Mike Salvatori -- harness its inherent power, and build on those foundations with new creativity and emotional depth.

Given the enormity of the score’s importance and scope, we wanted to hire a team with a specific working sensibility and skillset. More importantly, a team of talented composers of original music that could work seamlessly with existing melodies and themes to blend the classic and the new – music that will sometimes map to familiar characters and ideas, but also introduce brand new threats, wonders and discoveries in dramatic and immersive ways.

We are excited to introduce Curtis Schweitzer, who composed all of the music in “Discover Hope” and music for Halo Infinite. We have been inspired and impressed by the emotional depth and creativity Curtis has delivered so far. There have been tear-inducing, hair-raising, and spine-tingling moments each time we have listened to his inspired compositions. Joel and Curtis are hard at work on Halo Infinite to bring rich emotion to our experiences, to punctuate the thrilling moments of combat, and to connect players to our universe more deeply than ever before. We look forward to sharing more of this new vision for our music in the future!"

"The Master Chief is our hero and Halo Infinite will continue his decades long saga. While we plan to introduce important new characters -- like the resilient Pilot you already met in the video -- this story is the Master Chief’s. The universe will continue the continuity of Halo 5 and in that sense contain the adventures that led up to this moment, but in the pursuit of our “spiritual reboot” and the launch of a new console, we also want to make sure that this is a perfect starting point for new players too. This story will mark the beginning of a new chapter and challenge for the Chief, but it will also respect and continue threads that led to this point. If you’ve never played a Halo game before, this will be a great place to jump into the story. You’re arriving in the middle a universe at war, with a sense of history underlying your entry into the world. But it will also feel fresh, full of potential, and new adventure. We will weave in context and guideposts to understand your place in a new universe. But if you’ve invested in Halo for all these years, you’ll feel immediately at home – and some of our story moments will spark a different resonance for your investment."

"As for what’s next, E3 2020 will be a big moment for Halo Infinite. Until we reach that destination in 2020, we’ll continue to embrace the mystery and wonder of Halo and the endless opportunity and potential of this engine, this hardware and, most of all, this team."

To that last part, yeah that's not vomit inducing or anything. Hey we have totally kept fans in the dark for two years in a row when they expected a new game. Now you should get excited about next year's E3. Yeah no thanks. Wake me up when there is something worthwhile to read about. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

oN59eI0.jpg

Last edited:
Is it weird to have the box art already? Maybe this is just a place holder. I don't dislike it, but it seems weird to have that finished when the game is over a year away from being released.

CyberPanda

Banned
Is it weird to have the box art already? Maybe this is just a place holder. I don't dislike it, but it seems weird to have that finished when the game is over a year away from being released.
Companies do it all the time, and have ton of box art varieties, and use focus groups to pick the best one out of the bunch. It could change in the future who knows, it just depends.

Havoc2049

Come on guys, didn’t seeing the generic NPC age in front of you while watching a holo vid of his wife talking about their child bring a tear to your eye and make you want to play Halo?:messenger_winking_tongue:

I didn’t mind the trailer when I first saw it, but now that I’ve had more time to think about it, it does kinda suck.

343i takes itself and Halo too serious. Bungie Halo used to have an Indiana Jones/Lucas/Spielberg vibe to it; with amazing music, epic set pieces, humor, action and adventure.

Now this is a reveal trailer:

What fans want and what Bungie used to give us was something exciting like a Hellcat Challenger or a $200k+ Euro Supercar. What 343i gave us with this last trailer was a Toyota minivan, that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, as you take the kids to soccer practice or get groceries to take home to the family.

At least that box art is awesome.

CyberPanda

Banned
Come on guys, didn’t seeing the generic NPC age in front of you while watching a holo vid of his wife talking about their child bring a tear to your eye and make you want to play Halo?:messenger_winking_tongue:

I didn’t mind the trailer when I first saw it, but now that I’ve had more time to think about it, it does kinda suck.

343i takes itself and Halo too serious. Bungie Halo used to have an Indiana Jones/Lucas/Spielberg vibe to it; with amazing music, epic set pieces, humor, action and adventure.

What fans want and what Bungie used to give us was something exciting like a Hellcat Challenger or a $200k+ Euro Supercar. What 343i gave us with this last trailer was a Toyota minivan, that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, as you take the kids to soccer practice or get groceries to take home to the family.

Yea I miss bungie. But, if is what it is. Hopefully we see gameplay, and we can go from there.

Ha yes Bungie did have a way of being a tad more light hearted and less serious about things. The trailer doesn't bother me so much. Just the fact that it's 2 years in a row now i've desperately wanted to see the new halo game, and 2 years in a row where I've gotten a random trailer instead and zero deeeeeeets. They say in the waypoint article i posted to be excited about next year's E3. Really??? Maybe they should have led with that exact line at E3 in 2018. That's how you avoid letting people down. I know i'm angry now and will get over it pretty quickly, but man how disappointing is it to get very little info 2 years in a row and to have to wait five years after Halo 5 to get a new halo game? Right through the heart man. Through. The. Heart. 🗡

CyberPanda

Banned
Ha yes Bungie did have a way of being a tad more light hearted and less serious about things. The trailer doesn't bother me so much. Just the fact that it's 2 years in a row now i've desperately wanted to see the new halo game, and 2 years in a row where I've gotten a random trailer instead and zero deeeeeeets. They say in the waypoint article i posted to be excited about next year's E3. Really??? Maybe they should have led with that exact line at E3 in 2018. That's how you avoid letting people down. I know i'm angry now and will get over it pretty quickly, but man how disappointing is it to get very little info 2 years in a row and to have to wait five years after Halo 5 to get a new halo game? Right through the heart man. Through. The. Heart. 🗡
That’s what I miss about the Halo CE days. Halo was serious but had style, and now they are trying to hard to be super realistic, and it makes me cringe. I want to throw Bonnie Ross out of a helicopter.

Last edited:
That’s what I miss about the Halo CE days. Halo was serious but had style, and now they are trying to hard to be super realistic, and it makes me cringe. I want to throw Bonnie Ross out of a helicopter.
A lot of people on gaming side were claiming the game looked like something current gen. I think not though. If the trailer was actually running on the engine and not just CGI, infinite is going to look really good while playing.

CyberPanda

Banned
A lot of people on gaming side were claiming the game looked like something current gen. I think not though. If the trailer was actually running on the engine and not just CGI, infinite is going to look really good while playing.
Those are trolls. The game looks very impressive graphically, and the people saying that need their eyes checked.

Those are trolls. The game looks very impressive graphically, and the people saying that need their eyes checked.
Agreed. The lighting looked really good and the detail of the hologram was nice.

So, people have been finding more things from the trailer based on the master chief's boot up screen. The armor is Mjolnir Generation III and was last modified by Halsey 09.19.2561. So, there is a vague time reference for the game at least.

CyberPanda

Banned
Agreed. The lighting looked really good and the detail of the hologram was nice.

So, people have been finding more things from the trailer based on the master chief's boot up screen. The armor is Mjolnir Generation III and was last modified by Halsey 09.19.2561. So, there is a vague time reference for the game at least.
Should be interesting where the story goes, but if its anything like Halo 5 and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, sadly I will have to stop playing the series.

Should be interesting where the story goes, but if its anything like Halo 5 and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, sadly I will have to stop playing the series.
Probably same for me, but not because Im giving up on the franchise. I'm just getting old and if it's gonna take another 5 years for the next game to come out after Infinite, then i have better things to do. I always laugh when people say 5 years isn't that bad. So many things can change in 5 years. It's crazy how much time that is, like a pretty big chunk of a person's life.

CyberPanda

Banned
Probably same for me, but not because Im giving up on the franchise. I'm just getting old and if it's gonna take another 5 years for the next game to come out after Infinite, then i have better things to do. I always laugh when people say 5 years isn't that bad. So many things can change in 5 years. It's crazy how much time that is, like a pretty big chunk of a person's life.
For sure, as I am getting older I am investing into travelling more. Games were more fun when I was younger, but lately I don't feel the same about them as I used to, and its gotten worse over the years.

Hey do any of you guys listen to hiddenexperia on youtube? When I'm at work, I"ll jut put his youtube channel on and listen to him to talk about all the Halo lore. I'm still trying to soak in all of the lore i can and keep it together in my head in a way that makes sense. It is interesting to think about the flood, the precursors, the forerunners, the covenant and the unsc and their histories. Right now though I'm just listening to him talk about what he wants to see in Infinite from 2017. Kind of unique to listen this particular segment now when we know so much more about the game (still not enough though).

So that was the 500 million Halo...
Ha i don't think it was ever confirmed how much money is being spent toward Halo Infinite. If the amount is truly that high, it's probably intended to sustain the game for a long time post-release. So what did you think of the trailer? I thought it was good, but it doesn't make up for my disappointment that literally no game-play footage was shown.

I think the graphics looked early this gen and the trailer was really not god, last year was better, unbelievable, Gears the same.
I liked the graphics myself. Nice crisp look to everything. Keep in mind that was not cgi, but running on the new slip space engine. If that is what matchmaking and campaign look like in infinite I will be pleased.

Interesting. Article has some interesting theories on the master chief's plans for cortana. And the article suggests that the ring is installation 07 or zeta halo.

And not to retread on the graphics shown in the e3 trailer, but I think people are forgetting one very important detail. The halo Infinite graphics incorporate 4k HDR. The HDR apparently makes a big difference for the trailer. Specifically, the lighting and shadows used. I'm guessing most people who watched the footage were not viewing it in 4k HDR - I wasnt. I don't have an Xbox one x but if I can find a 4k video on YouTube I'll check it out for myself as I recently got a new 4k HDR tv.

Last edited:
I like the 12/22/19 date. If that is for the Infinite beta that will be sick - and i might even forgive 343 for not showing game-play footage at E3. :pie_beaming_smiling:

Last edited:
Top Bottom