• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions either way. I think the remaining outcomes are: it's int the game but didn't work or it's not in the game. No one knows for sure except the developers, and they haven't commented on this specific instance yet which is super lame.

So speculate whether it's in the game or it's just not working. Speculate on why they haven't said anything. But unless youre one of the people on the dev team, don't declare what is or isn't in the game. You need to hold that, because you don't fuckin know.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What? I'm pretty sure exploring planets and galaxies online with others was like one of the biggest draws to the game for a lot of people since the reveal of this game.

Indeed it was, and it was one of the reasons why a lot of Elite players were fearing how much it would hurt Elite. Those fears appear to be unfounded now, as Elite will remain the only multiplayer space exploration game for today.

Tagyhag

Forgot about the PC release and is it then the PC crowd that's throwing this fit? You guys are going to mod the hell out of the game beyond what it originally is anyways, so this shouldn't be an issue still.

Lol it's not the actual feature that matters to me personally, (although it is cool) it's the principle of the matter.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a prideful person. And with pride comes not wanting to get jipped.

Pepboy

One of two things can happen. You will see a patch which allows you to "see other people", or not. I'm willing to bet that patch would not be coming today, or tomorrow, or this month. It's clearly not hidden in it today. I'm simply trying to be realistic, the expectation has already been set.

The saddest part is I can already see the resulting tweets.

"We heard what you guys had to say! We had no idea our fans were so passionate about multiplayer -- we can't wait to add this new feature in so you can play with your friends, but it may take a little time. The universe is so massive anyways, so in the meantime get ready and explore where you want to meet!"

Sidestepping the fact that fans were already lied to.

flkraven

Indeed it was, and it was one of the reasons why a lot of Elite players were fearing how much it would hurt Elite. Those fears appear to be unfounded now, as Elite will remain the only multiplayer space exploration game for today.

This controversy actually has me giving Elite a second look. Will probably grab it when it's on sale next.

MikeyB

No doubt the silence is a result of a contractual issue.

I'd bet that they intended to have the things Hello Games spoke about with respect to multiplayer, but he needed more time to get it right and Sony put their foot down.

Since Sony has the call on PR and marketing at this point, the response to this issue is being filtered through bureaucratic channels of approvals due to liability issues.

It sucks.

...but, I didn't buy the game for that shit, love what I got out of the box, and I hope to god that this tantrummy shitstorm doesn't reduce their interest in providing ongoing support.

It's a great game.

I first brought this up in the NMS impressions thread at was quickly dismissed by a majority. Had to make a separate thread to see how newsworthy it really is. I think the people that care about this are the ones on the fence deciding whether or not they want to purchase this game. Those that bought the game and are playing either a) don't care since they didn't care about this part of the game anyways or b) are too hype-invested.

I've been following his discussion about the multiplayer mechanics since day 1, since that is a big deciding factor for me. When he said it wasn't multiplayer focused I got upset, but understood. When he said that we would still be able to find and see other players, it gave me just enough of a multiplayer hook to keep me interested. I think Sean knew he would do that to people like me, and that is why him and Hello Games continued to misrepresent the product they were going to deliver.

I think you're part of a very small minority though. Like, even here on gaf in the build up to release, I can't recall a single person anywhere on the internet or in real life saying they couldn't wait to play this game for the multiplayer. That's not the appeal for the vast majority of people interested in this game, nor is it going to bother them that it's seemingly not there. Most people genuinely don't care. Seriously, Gaf and the NMS subreddit are pretty much the only places peoplea are talking about this.

I really, really doubt that this was all part of Seans master plan to lure in the multiplayer focused gamers. That seems way too shortsighted for someone who has been developing this game for years, a game that's designed to be a practically endless single player experience.

DataGhost

Like what?

Like why he has been keeping silent when he was not under contract or under NDA?

An NDA usually ends when the product is finally released and out there. The fact that he's still keeping silent and if you gave him a huge benefit of the doubt, is because the PC release is not out yet.

There are a myriad of reasons for this and a lot of them aren't ...good. Such as generating sales / not allowing PC cancelled preorders

flkraven

I think you're part of a very small minority though. Like, even here on gaf in the build up to release, I can't recall a single person anywhere on the internet or in real life saying they couldn't wait to play this game for the multiplayer. That's not the appeal for the vast majority of people interested in this game, nor is it going to bother them that it's seemingly not there. Most people genuinely don't care. Seriously, Gaf and the NMS subreddit are pretty much the only places peoplea are talking about this.

I really, really doubt that this was all part of Seans master plan to lure in the multiplayer focused gamers. That seems way too shortsighted for someone who has been developing this game for years, a game that's designed to be a practically endless single player experience.

I keep seeing people say this but in all seriousness, where else would everyone discuss their videogame concerns if it isn't GAF or Reddit? I mean, that's sort of like saying that a political gaffe doesn't matter because it's only being discussed on 'news stations & on the internet'.

To me it's like they made this fairly cool Universe generator, but turning it into a great game would be a ton of work. So they put some basic systems together and lied / exaggerated about the rest!

Lot's of people bought the hype but I saw straight through it. I guess being tied to Sony and releasing at full price influenced their own 'promotion' of the game.

OK so here is one thing that is bugging me as it must prove online is in it.

- We have people stating on a reddit/imgur post that they couldnt see each other despite being in the same spot.
- The developer, Sean, then said on Twitter "that ia incredible"
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270259080097792
- So is that him stating it is incredible because:
1) Online play /interaction is not possible because its not actually in the game?
Or that
2) Two people managed to meet at the same point in the game despite claims it would be rare and thus, yes there is online multiplayer/ interaction?

DataGhost

OK so here is one thing that is bugging me as it must prove online is in it.

- We have people stating on a reddit/imgur post that they couldnt see each other despite being in the same spot.
- The developer, Sean, then said on Twitter "that ia incredible"
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270259080097792
- So is that him stating it is incredible because:
1) Online play /interaction is not in the game because its not actually in the game?
Or that
2) Two people managed to meet at the same point in the game despite claims it would be rare and thus, yes there is online multiplayer/ interaction?

We have no idea what is going on in Sean's head when he wrote that. His other tweets are just as ambigious and unclear.

I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions either way. I think the remaining outcomes are: it's int the game but didn't work or it's not in the game. No one knows for sure except the developers, and they haven't commented on this specific instance yet which is super lame.

So speculate whether it's in the game or it's just not working. Speculate on why they haven't said anything. But unless youre one of the people on the dev team, don't declare what is or isn't in the game. You need to hold that, because you don't fuckin know.

i really really wish people would do this, or even acknowledge that they ought to do it.

So many people are stating things as facts when they're simply not known...including the damn title of this thread.

I really really hope MP is in, purely so that so many people in this thread are shown up for jumping to conclusions...which is pretty sad really but that's how bad this thread has been.

Shari

The three biggest Spanish outlets forums are following this drama in their OT. Here we managing better by keeping this shit away from the OT.

This isn't some super secret easter egg hunt, it's trying to make something as simple as seeing another player work. It's absolutely fair to jump to conclusions after two days without it being acknowledged by the devs because if it were simply bugging out all they had to do was state that and we could move on with our lives.

Tabarin

Banned
Well, in the next days we will probably be able to confirm if this is really the case of it was just server issues?

Cause Sean did state that there is a scan for players feature later on....

But so far... pants on fire....

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This controversy actually has me giving Elite a second look. Will probably grab it when it's on sale next.

Elite’s a very good space sim game, no two ways about it. It’s not without it’s faults nor its shortcomings, but what it does do it does pretty well. The exploration mechanics are a tad barebones but there is enough variety for sandbox type players to have a ball simply sightseeing and exploring planet surfaces and such. Trading can be a game unto itself, some find it great, others boring. Combat is where the game really shines though, it’s the aspect the devs have put the most effort into and it shows. And even as primarily an explorer in Elite, I have to admit the combat is damned fun and engaging.

DataGhost

i really really wish people would do this, or even acknowledge that they ought to do it.

So many people are stating things as facts when they're simply not known...including the damn title of this thread.

I really really hope MP is in, purely so that so many people in this thread are shown up for jumping to conclusions...which is pretty sad really but that's how bad this thread has been.

So you're telling us that the case where two twitch streamers tried so many situations and tried to simulate seeing each other is wrong of a title?

They tried it twice on two different days, making sure to connect to the server. Right now, this is fact, that you cannot see each other until proven otherwise. Has there been proof someone did see each other / what the avatar looks like?

Forgot about the PC release and is it then the PC crowd that's throwing this fit? You guys are going to mod the hell out of the game beyond what it originally is anyways, so this shouldn't be an issue still.
I don't know. If I had to judge from this thread, it doesn't seem to me like that many people are very upset about it, but are just wanting a simple answer to what is going on. Maybe they'll base their buying decision on that, maybe not.

I'm mostly just curious what is actually on the game now and what changed along the way. Probably get it this weekend on PC to play, since I don't have a PS4.

DataGhost

I don't know. If I had to judge from this thread, it doesn't seem to me like that many people are very upset about it, but are just wanting a simple answer to what is going on. Maybe they'll base their buying decision on that, maybe not.

I'm mostly just curious what is actually on the game now and what changed along the way. Probably get it this weekend on PC to play, since I don't have a PS4.

If you still want the planet exploration gameplay, that is still in the game.

THe procedurally generated planets and the mysteries that surround the Atlas. It's a great game just to explore the place ( if you're not beset by pirates or the like ).

As far as I know, this is basically the only feature that wasn't truly promised.

Yes, there are still lush planets but those are rare

Bytes

Boy is the pc version gonna be a ton of fun.

Part of me worries about an Arkham Knight type epidemic, considering how quiet they have been about the PC version and how they are apparently working on it up to the last minute (they are apparently releasing late on Friday).

Hoping for a solid version, though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
RIP nude mods for NMS

Didn't Sean make a statement regarding how he wanted modders to do their thing as long as they weren't creating new stars and locations?

I wonder if it will hold true.

Found the article http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...tment-of-lesser-known-no-man-s-sky-facts.aspx

Will There Be Mod Support?
Sean Murray: I think PC games should have Mods and the ability to mod. I almost feel like we need to give them the tools otherwise then they're just going to start making them, tearing apart your game. That's what I have more of a fear of. I think if they get in there and they just start disassembling it they will end up creating parallel universes; like genuinely that's what would happen. They would change the numbers and then someone else would be playing in a different universe, but still posting to our servers.

We will probably give them some tools to allow them to do some stuff. But we don't want people creating new planets within an existing game. I don't think we can stop them doing that if there's a clever enough programmer, which there always is, there are going to be weird things with the game unofficially. But officially I think we probably want to give people some modding ability just so they leave our game alone. Just give them enough creative outlet to keep them busy rather than them thinking of all of the destructive things that they could do.

flkraven

Hello Games has said nothing
Sony has said nothing
Sean Murray has said nothing

All we have is multiple tests: People spending hours at the same location, changing NAT settings, People reading the packets being sent, the sticker swap in Europe.

All of the signs point to one thing: You cannot see other players in No Man's Sky. There is zero multiplayer. Since this is the only evidence we have, that is the best name for the thread unless someone, anyone from the development side tells us otherwise.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
what a fiasco. lol

i honestly thought about waiting to buy it until the neo came. my backlog is getting ridiculous. but i got it based on online play. sounds stupid but about 6 coworkers/friends all bought the game and i didnt want to behind the curve if we ever figured out how to get on the same planet. now its pretty much confirmed thatll never happen. hell, the only reason i havent sold my ps4 yet was for nms. i could have waited.

im not butthurt about it. im having a good time with the game so far. but it would of been nice to know ahead of time. its actually all pretty funny to me.

Walpurgis

Banned
I first brought this up in the NMS impressions thread at was quickly dismissed by a majority. Had to make a separate thread to see how newsworthy it really is. I think the people that care about this are the ones on the fence deciding whether or not they want to purchase this game. Those that bought the game and are playing either a) don't care since they didn't care about this part of the game anyways or b) are too hype-invested.

I've been following his discussion about the multiplayer mechanics since day 1, since that is a big deciding factor for me. When he said it wasn't multiplayer focused I got upset, but understood. When he said that we would still be able to find and see other players, it gave me just enough of a multiplayer hook to keep me interested. I think Sean knew he would do that to people like me, and that is why him and Hello Games continued to misrepresent the product they were going to deliver.
I bought the game and do care. I opened my copy expecting a feature that turned out to be a lie.

ISee

Sean is part of the pantheon now

7EV9fXU.jpg

that's a good one.

gai_shain

why would you suddenly think only pc players are upset about this

DataGhost

what a fiasco. lol

i honestly thought about waiting to buy it until the neo came. my backlog is getting ridiculous. but i got it based on online play. sounds stupid but about 6 coworkers/friends all bought the game and i didnt want to behind the curve if we ever figured out how to get on the same planet. now its pretty much confirmed thatll never happen. hell, the only reason i havent sold my ps4 yet was for nms. i could have waited.

im not butthurt about it. im having a good time with the game so far. but it would of been nice to know ahead of time. its actually all pretty funny to me.

It's not pretty much confirmed, but strong evidence suggests that it's not in the game ... yet if ever.

Glad to hear you're having a fun time. All we're waiting on is just for a simple answer on this feature

Here's what I expect:

1. They disabled the ability to "see" other players because of bugs. It's in the game, just not active due to bugs.
2. They will patch it up later, after the PC release. Update #2 most likely.
3. They didn't prioritize it for release day because they never imagined two players meeting up in just a couple hours; hence Sean's shock when he found out it actually happened.

As for players meeting up so soon? Either the starting areas are not actually that far apart or a bug allowed these two guys to start really close to each other.

The End; Controversy averted and debunked.

flkraven

what a fiasco. lol

I bought the game and do care. I opened my copy expecting a feature that turned out to be a lie.

Two posts in a row. And these are NMS purchasers. And people wonder why is fucking stupid that this hasn't been cleared up yet.

DataGhost

Maybe PS4 powah couldnt handle all the complexities of no mans sky. The PC version being complete will blow everyones mind.

This will cause a huge backlash. This is basically alienating their PS4 customers in favor of PC when Sony had a deal with them. This would be huge and something they REALLY don't need at the moment.

Clockwork5

Like why he has been keeping silent when he was not under contract or under NDA?

An NDA usually ends when the product is finally released and out there. The fact that he's still keeping silent and if you gave him a huge benefit of the doubt, is because the PC release is not out yet.

There are a myriad of reasons for this and a lot of them aren't ...good. Such as generating sales / not allowing PC cancelled preorders

Forgive me for being abrasive but I thought you meant actual serious things to consider.

Phaezyk

This isn't some super secret easter egg hunt, it's trying to make something as simple as seeing another player work. It's absolutely fair to jump to conclusions after two days without it being acknowledged by the devs because if it were simply bugging out all they had to do was state that and we could move on with our lives.

Eh, I'm pretty sure people should can and should move on with their lives without socially crucifying a decent person and/or hearing one way or another from the developers about a feature that has always been touted as minimal at best.

Bedlam

Here's what I expect:

1. They disabled the ability to "see" other players because of bugs. It's in the game, just not active due to bugs.
2. They will patch it up later, after the PC release. Update #2 most likely.
3. They didn't prioritize it for release day because they never imagined two players meeting up in just a couple hours; hence Sean's shock when he found out it actually happened.

As for players meeting up so soon? Either the starting areas are not actually that far apart or a bug allowed these two guys to start really close to each other.

The End; Controversy averted and debunked.
Keep on believing for another couple of days but brace for disappointment.

All these believer-posts and excuses are too funny.

Well, in the next days we will probably be able to confirm if this is really the case of it was just server issues?

Cause Sean did state that there is a scan for players feature later on....

But so far... pants on fire....

PC version comes out 24 hours from now. People will immediately tear it apart and figure out what they can.

Keep on believing for another couple of days but brace for disappointment.

All these believer-posts and excuses are too funny.

I was initially on the side that there was definitively no multiplayer. But Sean's tweetstorm yesterday morning made me think that there is still a piece of this situation that we're missing. I think it's still a possibility, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm not interested in playing with other people anyway.

Fredrik

I honestly hope there is no MP just because too many people are douche bags, getting to name the planets is probably bad enough unless there is some kind of family filter, having some foul-mouthed random guy doing stupid stuff and mess up my sci-fi fantasy is not something I'm excited about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom