• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataGhost

Well, there was that one time Square wanted to NDA Valkyrie Profile 2 info after game being already released in Japan.

Like I said, usually. That was Square as well and I've never heard about it.

You said wanted so I'm guessing it didn't happen?

Has there been a case with Sony?

MaDKaT

*yawn* same old shit ... you didn't need to post another one of these. We've been over these weak excuses several times.

Were did that NDA nonsense come from? Why would the NDA suddenly kick in halfway through the first release day? The mental gymnastics are astonishing.

We, and especially you, have no idea what language may be in the agreement between HG and Sonys marketing deal. For all we know, there is a clause that gives Sony control over messaging until the the eventual PC release. Really not a stretch considering basically all media has been PS4 only up until this point.

Bedlam

Not sticking up for that guy at all, but...

This whole thread is a circle jerk (without new information), maybe that is why you are yawning... tired?
I'm tired of drive-by posters who cross-post the same old NMS defense manifesto, containing the same weak arguments, all being seemingly oblivious about the numerous interviews Murray gave and what he said etc.

Yeah, I'm tired of that.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
That would be the sensible thing to do, yes. So what conclusion can we draw if this is the case? Perhaps the feature is still in but is gated behind a system of condition checks to keep people from easily meeting up and having an adventure together and instead have it a rare event that simply hasn't happened yet?

...Nah. Let's just jump to "He's a goddamned liar where is my multiplayer my clan is so angry right now!!"
There are like a quintillion different worlds, that should be the "gate" that prevents you from meeting with other people. If it isn't, Sean could have just said that the feature has to be unlocked within the game.

DataGhost

Yeah I agree it will be interesting to see where Hello Games goes from here, with the scarlet letter around their neck so to speak. If Sean comes out to announce some incredibly ambitious title, how many people here are just going to roll their eyes and link this thread a quadrillion times. Deservedly so.

And in regards to your previous post it just seemed like you were contemplating the motives for Sean to stay quiet. It just seems like we won't know much of anything until he actually speaks up. My reply was just a bit cutting since the tone of this thread has kind of put me in a combative mood. I should probably find something else to do.

Yeah, it has had everyone on edge and defensive for some because people come in without taking a look at what we discuss mainly. What we want is a simple answer. We're not asking for spoilers. We're asking for an answer, Yes or no, is the feature still in?

Keeping quiet only helps to generate discussion and theories.

Two Words

When did HG talk about player interaction being a reward when you reach the center of the galaxy ?

Player interaction was always extremely unlikely in NMS. You're trying to prove that, no, it's in fact reasonably likely by applying real world logic to a videogame. Again, when did HG mention that probability will be more and more likely as you progress ?

I may have missed it but it was always clear to me that i shouldn't expect to meet other players in this game. If interaction is impossible, it doesn't change anything for most people
You dontbgetbhow people going to the center will have more people in a much smaller area?

Brashnir

Because he probably has an NDA where he can't say shit that's why. (This is entirely my opinion)

Why would be be under NDA to talk about the Multiplayer features now after release when he had already discussed them dozens of times prior to release?

These NDA suggestions are insane for that reason alone, even more so when you consider that a lawyer would have to sign off on said NDA that would potentially put them in a legally actionable position.

How big is this fiasco really?

Are people refusing or unable to enjoy the game to the point of asking for refunds over not being able to spot other folks?

This is a genuine question. This thread is huge, but the sampling of responses in the last few pages seem highly angry. I always felt like the draw to this title was exploring random planets, resource collecting, discovering different forms of life, and making your way to the center of the universe. The running-into-other-people aspect seemed about as important as it was in Journey, as in not necessary. Sure it would have been nice to run into someone during the game, but if you didn't, it didn't ruin the experience.

Was the "multiplayer" aspect of NMS really the hook for most of you?

Clockwork5

I'm tired of drive-by posters who cross-post the same old NMS defense manifesto, containing the same weak arguments, all being seemingly oblivious about the numerous interviews Murray gave and what he said etc.

Yeah, I'm tired of that.
Maybe they are ignoring those interviews just as you seem to be ignoring his statement on Monday saying this is not a multiplayer game.

Bedlam

We, and especially you, have no idea what language may be in the agreement between HG and Sonys marketing deal. For all we know, there is a clause that gives Sony control over messaging until the the eventual PC release. Really not a stretch considering basically all media has been PS4 only up until this point.
It's the same old defense reflex for your current favorite devs that make people come up with these explanations, going through all these extra hoops.

I'm a fan of this simple explanation:

My highly, somewhat educated guess, is that Murray is not under an NDA. In cases like these, when someone becomes radio silent after controversy is on the brink of erupting, it is almost always on the recommendation of a professional connected to the person in question. I am guessing he has been recommended by someone (or a team) at Sony to not further speak, answer or engage with the community and media (in fear of immediate backlash) until the PC version of NMS is released.

Radio silence is a pretty common way of dealing with these sorts of situations. It works for a small period of time, especially if the silence is broken with a swift and thought out reply, but not if it is extended for a long period of time. My guess is he will respond no later than Sunday.

This or simply that Murray voluntarily keeps his mouth shut and get the disappointing clarification out after the first week sales are in. Because this is the simplest answer.

gtabmx

Neo Member
While we can debate forever about how impactful seeing another player in this game is, and whether there is any validity or interpretation of all those interviews of Sean saying you can run into someones else, we have to at lest understand that this isn't sitting will with what seems like many fans of the game that want to enjoy it.

However, what I think is a bigger issue, that is completely ignored by most, is that we can't actual fly anywhere in space, and need to rely on warps (which ARE loading screens). Every solar/star system is just a skybox around some planets and moons. You cannot fly to any star, period. You cannot go to a sun because it is a non-physical entity at "infinity", which eventually causes a floating point precision error when you're x,y,z coords are too high from 0,0,0 which is the middle of the skybox. There are many videos showing the result of these errors.

With every day, more and more things about the game are not living up to the hype that the devs established.

Juicy Bob

I'm really enjoying the game and I don't care about the multiplayer aspect at all because that was never something that I was ever fussed about.

However, I totally get why people are finding this all a bit shady. After everything Murray said on the matter before release, they have a right to feel somewhat misled.

I was hyped to hell for this game before multiplayer was ever talked about, so I'm mainly disappointed with the lack of honesty and transparency which I mostly blame on Sony. Sean seems like a good guy, I feel if Hello Games wasn't under Sony things would be much different right now. I wonder if Sean and company regret making a deal with Sony.

I 100% agree with you that would should have some transparency...

But you're really going to put this on Sony? Let's say it is a lie, and the dev lied in interviews about the existence of multiplayer. Your response is to say, "It's the publisher's fault!"

I really don't get it. Unless Sony was in the background whispering, "Sean, you better damn well say it has multiplayer! We don't care if it's true! We'll end you!" I don't see how it would be on them.

If you're suggesting this is simply because of a Sony NDA, then I can see how that comes in, but you really think that having to stay quiet for a few days about the development of a game would warrant throwing away a multi-year contract with huge amounts of exposure you never otherwise could have hoped for? It makes no sense.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Alright, just woke up, where we at today? Did crackachu spread love and harmony to GAF and has Sean put the matter to rest yet?

Lol I think you're still dreaming.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I like the game so far, but I do think there hasn't been very good transparency as far as what this game is (I know there's those videos, but I meant in total there has been ambiguous, directly contradictory statements like the possibility to see others when it would have been fine to have been a direct "yes, no, or maybe eventually" answer).

Tiops

I had no hype for this game but got curious at the launch and bought it, knowing it's a single player game. I'm enjoying it, seems pretty fun and will get some hours from me.

But come on guys, Sean obviously lied. It's been proved, it's a fact. You can't meet each other and he said we could. He dodged the question again and now he has ran away from Twitter. The community absolutely has to call out the lies from the dev team, even if we enjoy the game. We pay a lot of money for these games, and the least we could expect from the developers and publishers is a bit of honesty.

Until he clearly says that there's no way to meet someone in the game, we should continue to call his bullshit. There's no excuse.

DataGhost

Are people refusing or unable to enjoy the game to the point of asking for refunds over not being able to spot other folks?

This is a genuine question. This thread is huge, and the responses seem highly angry. I always felt like the draw to this title was exploring random planets, resource collecting, discovering different forms of life, and making your way to the center of the universe. The running into other people aspect seemed about as important as it was in Journey, as in not necessary. Sure it would have been nice to run into someone during the game, but if you didn't, it didn't ruin the experience.

Nope, people are not refusing to enjoy the game. But it calls into question Sean's communication/integrity when he maintains his silence. We're discussing (mainly PC waiters) about why and maintaining that the proof is showing us thus far that the feature is not there and we're waiting for an answer.

The "multiplayer" aspect was sort of Sean's challenge to the internet. Basically zero chance of finding someone? bring it, I'll try to find others.

MaDKaT

It's the same old defense reflex for your current favorite devs that make people come up with these explanations, going through all these extra hoops.

I'm a fan of this simple explanation:

This or simply that Murray voluntarily keeps his mouth shut and get the disappointing clarification out after the first week sales are in. Because this is the simplest answer.

How is your accepted answer much different. All boils down to someone, possibly sony, directing the message?

Bedlam

Maybe they are ignoring those interviews just as you seem to be ignoring his statement on Monday saying this is not a multiplayer game.
We've discussed that statement. Why do you think I ignored it?

It's another vague tweet from him, leaving room for interpretation. Since he always framed the game as having some MP features but not being focussed on MP but SP instead, this could've very well been what he meant with that tweet. Especially since he followed it up with a tweet about players meeting.

Again: Murray used obtuse language, just as he did in many interviews before in order to raise expectations but never EVER denied when he was asked whether players can see/meet each other.

Not a multiplayer game !== Not having multiplayer features.

That seemed to me like he is saying don't expect a World of Warcraft like experience with large groups and party features.

The same minute he also said:

"The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

Which implies there is a chance. And:

"We do have some online features and easter eggs so people can know they are playing in the same universe. It's about cool "moments""

I have no clue what the moments are.

Gbraga

Will it be possible to know this for sure once the PC version comes out? With people looking into the game's files and stuff, like they do to find cut content in Souls games?

Ferrio

Banned
Will it be possible to know this for sure once the PC version comes out? With people looking into the game's files and stuff, like they do to find cut content in Souls games?

Ya we'll know everything by tomorrow, for better or worse. Man I hate data mining.

Yes. People will probably look up if data is being sent to the server and look up the files.

Someone in this thread already did that on PS4 also. He saw no data about player location being shared with the server. Which seems to point towards it simply being not in the game.

DataGhost

People will have a much easier time going through the files on PC.

Whether we know for sure or not is how easily the parts come together.

Such as the avatars image or netcode as others have said or packets that send player movement data

Bedlam

However, what I think is a bigger issue, that is completely ignored by most, is that we can't actual fly anywhere in space, and need to rely on warps (which ARE loading screens). Every solar/star system is just a skybox around some planets and moons. You cannot fly to any star, period. You cannot go to a sun because it is a non-physical entity at "infinity", which eventually causes a floating point precision error when you're x,y,z coords are too high from 0,0,0 which is the middle of the skybox. There are many videos showing the result of these errors.

With every day, more and more things about the game are not living up to the hype that the devs established.
Wow, really? Well, that's another stinker.

Clockwork5

We've discussed that statement. Why do you think I ignored it?

It's another vague tweet from him, leaving room for interpretation. Since he always framed the game as having some MP features but not being focussed on MP but SP instead, this could've very well been what he meant with that tweet.

Again: Murray used obtuse language, just as he did in many interviews before in order to raise expectations but never EVER denied when he was asked whether players can see/meet each other.

No mans sky is not a multiplayer game.

How is that obtuse or vague? It is crystal clear to me.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Are people refusing or unable to enjoy the game to the point of asking for refunds over not being able to spot other folks

I think whether the feature is there isn't really the issue so much as people not feeling like they are getting a straight forward response on what the multiplayer really is.

People don't like to spend money with out all the info after all.

Some people are claiming it was never really a feature that was marketed and others are countering by pointing at the many times the devs have said that MP was a thing and that you could see each other etc.

I want to get the game on release for PC because i was always going to play this solo but it would still be nice to know exactly where the line for MP content is drawn.

The quality of the game looks superb and it does seem pretty feature rich as is.

While we can debate forever about how impactful seeing another player in this game is, and whether there is any validity or interpretation of all those interviews of Sean saying you can run into someones else, we have to at lest understand that this isn't sitting will with what seems like many fans of the game that want to enjoy it.

So it's basically just a collection of solar systems that are made in the game, and you transport between those?

Bedlam

It's not crystal clear given the context that he said numerous times in the past already that NMS is not MP-focussed but players can see/meet each other.

See this:

That seemed to me like he is saying don't expect a World of Warcraft like experience with large groups and party features.

"The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

"We do have some online features and easter eggs so people can know they are playing in the same universe. It's about cool "moments""

Thanks!

Phaezyk

Nah, we don't need to jump that far.

But if it's a condition, then all he has to say is:

It's still in the game. Good luck finding it

There, non spoilerly and an official statement that will quell our curiousity. It wouldn't have blown up and news sites covering this.

It's only blowing up because people can't look past the small feature that has questionable impact on the game at large, and just play the game that is in front of their faces. He could totally say that, yes, and he hasn't. Maybe he wants people to focus on other things?

The point is not knowing is a problem. Whatever it is that we don't know, just come out and fucking say it.

I can understand this point of view. It is your game, you paid for it, you believe you deserve to know. Is this feature really so important enough to get hung up about it rather than enjoying what you currently have? Why must we know everything immediately these days? I'll agree that if the feature got cut they should say something. But the fact that they haven't yet wholly suggests to me that it's in there and there are specific conditions that must be met to trigger a lobby merge.

There are like a quintillion different worlds, that should be the "gate" that prevents you from meeting with other people. If it isn't, Sean could have just said that the feature has to be unlocked within the game.

But clearly it's not because it was really easy to just meet up with some other random once you've discovered a world they've named and see their name. Surely they thought of this scenario and made an effort to combat it to keep meetups a special event, no? Wouldn't you do this if you wanted to keep such a feature as a special event rather than a standard feature?

Sean is under no obligation to say anything, especially when this game that he helped create revolves around the ideal of exploring to find things out for yourself instead of looking everything up or having all the answers spoonfed to you.

..Unless the feature was cut. Again, if it was cut they should say something. I would think they understand such a sensible decision. Maybe I just give clearly bright and talented people too much credit?

Kathian

Banned

I'm sorry what? I did not know this. This is really shitty.

Prophane33

As someone who has been a bit out of the loop (been playing and enjoying the hell out of the game ~15 hours). Is this seriously a deal breaker for some people? Are those complaining about this people currently playing the game? I've been following since the first trailer (and pre-ordered the LE) and was certainly not led to believe this was a Minecraft style multiplayer affair (heck, I wouldn't have bought it if that was the case). In fact it is exactly what I wanted and was led to believe it would be. Are there people who were seriously expecting some sort of MMO-lite?

I agree it's a little shitty that those who care aren't getting a straight answer, but it's likely because A.) An NDA of some sort B.) Connected to some sort of spoiler/easter-egg; sure the "need to sell more to the PC crowd" is a valid opinion, but, again, anyone who watched the trailers, or read the latest blog posts, would know that this isn't space minecraft.

I guess I'm saying, I understand this isn't a game for everyone, but it seems like some people just want to shit on it because of the hype (i.e., hate on something popular) or they have some idea in their head about what this game is based off only their imagination and are disappointed without even playing the game.

Also, assuming that one tiny aspect of seeing other players is not in the game at all (nor planned to be added during a patch), how does that one thing make this game a Molyneux-like fraud? Or affect the fun of the game at all? The exploration, trade, combat, and survival elements are all there, and while I have some issue with the game (e.g. inventory is a little clunky), they are all exactly what the game was sold as.

So if the problem is sorted out, what happens after you see each other? You just wave and fly off to another procedural generated planet? I'm just trying to understand the uproar. What multiplayer aspects were people expecting? Just seeing others?

gai_shain

Watch dogs wouldnt be classified as a multiplayer game either, most games with multiplayer arent classified as multiplayer games actually.
Are WoW, dota and league multiplayer games? Obviously they are.
Are Uncharted, dark souls and journey multiplayer games? No they are not.
Theres a difference between a game being a multiplayer game and a game having multiplayer

How is your accepted answer much different. All boils down to someone, possibly sony, directing the message?

like i get your point i really do.

but look how mixed his messaging has been from the beginning. its not that he CANT say anything, its that he wont, or is just a straight up terrible communicator.

since. this. game. was. announced. people have been unclear on it. I know how many NMS fans got pissed at the mantra of but what do you DO but that feeling didnt come out of thin air. from the beginning there has been a complete lack of clarity from the game. the messaging has been mixed and cloudy.

thats not an NDA.

flkraven

murray2e0up8.gif

Crystal clear

Bedlam

It's only blowing up because people can't look past the small feature that has questionable impact on the game at large, and just play the game that is in front of their faces. He could totally say that, yes, and he hasn't. Maybe he wants people to focus on other things?

and the rest ...
Again, the mental gymnastics... unbelievable.

When's the 'next big game' out so we can put our effort and attention into discussing it and try and move on from NMS or is this just going to run and run and run and

Blobbers

Let me elaborate on why it doesn't make sense to compare Murray to Molyneux. Todd and Molyneux have a history of making false promises and overembellishing the features in their games. And I mean games, as in gameS. Multiple games. This has been going on for years and is a part of their internet persona now, the lies. In fact so much so that the mere invocation of the names Todd Howard and Peter Molyneux mean that someone tried to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting gamer with lies and deceit and they we responded to with Todd and Molyneux memes, because as far as the internet is concerned, they are bamboozle personified. Heck, a journalist opened a freaking interview with Molyneux with the question "Are you a pathological liar", like something straight from Michael Mann's Insider where the guy interviews a a terrorist head and opens with a cold "are you a terrorist?". This is right after the Godus incident I believe. There are people out there who have literally had enough of Molyneux, it seems. Larry Bundy Jr. always has a Molyneux jab in the opening of his videos. He has had enough of Moly's lies as well. I think everyone has, tbh. I think Molyneux is nothing but a joke at this point, and nobody would get hyped for a Molyneux game if he announced one. How much money do you guys think a Molyneux kickstarter could make in 2016?

On the other hand, the entire persona of Murray for the last few years was that he was that hard-working small indie dev who gets shy in front of the camera, and in one day he's supposed to overthrow the King and the King's right hand of Lies?

I don't buy it.

So if the problem is sorted out, what happens after you see each other? You just wave and fly off to another procedural generated planet? I'm just trying to understand the uproar. What multiplayer aspects were people expecting? Just seeing others?
People could stay in contact with their own chat and walk and fly around then, go exploring together. Nothing major really, but I can see the charm and fun in that.

nynt9

Sean said you could interact somehow and even grief other players, so possibly combat, or at least fight enemy ships together (which he alluded to) and since combat is one of the pillars and another is trading, maybe trade too? Also, the sheer fun of just exploring a planet with a friend should be worth it alone.

Clockwork5

The game does have multiplayer features. Though somewhat superficial. As for the moments, finding a planet someone else has discovered is pretty cool and discovering flora and fauna they didn't see when they were on the planet is neat as well.

There may be other moments but I wouldn't want him to spoil the game. I'll just play it and see for myself.

Anyway, all of this is still in line with him clearly stating this is not a multiplayer game.

Yeah he was obtuse and even dishonest for quite some time and that is not okay. But for some who demand answers, well you got it on Monday, it just isn't the answer you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom