• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

So when do we think the first lawsuit will be filed?

Cmon, you know some moron's gonna do it.

So you are a moron for buying a product that does not have some features that were promised? I mean, a lawsuit is maybe stretching it, but the backlash is justified IMO. Too many developers (i.e. publishers, because most devs are cool) get away with it. It seems like complete, fully-fledged games are rare rather than the norm. Pretty sad.

Lothars

Keep on believing for another couple of days but brace for disappointment.

All these believer-posts and excuses are too funny.
What happens if it is in the game? will you be whining that it is

So you are a moron for buying a product that does not have some features that were promised? I mean, a lawsuit is maybe stretching it, but the backlash is justified IMO. Too many developers (i.e. publishers, because most devs are cool) get away with it. It seems like complete, fully-fledged games are rare rather than the norm. Pretty sad.
The backlash is not justified at all. I don't know why anyone would buy it for this feature but they also haven't said either way. It just seems people are going out of their way to hate on NMS.

Edit: accidently deleted my other reply.

Saganator

And this guy called me out for believing it was possible. The dirty liar!

Lol sorry man!

The sticker situation is so absurd I'm still in partial disbelief.

I was hyped to hell for this game before multiplayer was ever talked about, so I'm mainly disappointed with the lack of honesty and transparency which I mostly blame on Sony. Sean seems like a good guy, I feel if Hello Games wasn't under Sony things would be much different right now. I wonder if Sean and company regret making a deal with Sony.

Bedlam

Eh, I'm pretty sure people should can and should move on with their lives without socially crucifying a decent person and/or hearing one way or another from the developers about a feature that has always been touted as minimal at best.
Will these kind of responses ever stop?

Two in one even: "poor indie dev" and "small feature anyway"

What happens if it is in the game? will you be whining that it is
I will be glad that I was wrong.

But it won't happen.

The backlash is not justified at all. I don't know why anyone would buy it for this feature but they also haven't said either way. It just seems people are going out of their way to hate on NMS.

Edit: accidently deleted my other reply.
It was a feature that was talked about by the devs, many people were expecting it, now the dev went radio silent.

Sure it is justified.

Phaezyk

They shouldn't, because they're true!

I don't know where people are getting this notion that Sean Murray is out to Con You All out of your $60 and "Lied" about a feature that isn't actually in the game.

Until they say otherwise, YOU DON'T KNOW. So why get hung up about it? Is it because you thought Multiplayer was a significant and substantial feature of the game? The same multiplayer feature that has been cast aside time and time again by Sean as "not really the point" and hard to accomplish by players in the game? I certainly thought before launch that it wouldn't take much more than rubbing two brain cells together to figure out that they wanted direct player interaction to be a rare and special event, not something that just happens as standard in your travels. Did anyone really believe that they didn't think out the easiest logstical strategies for meeting another player in-game and then create a system to counteract that to keep meetups as a rare and special event?

Now if for some reason this system wasn't functioning properly or maybe they thought it went against the spirit of the game and decided to take it out, that is THEIR DECISION. They never made this game out to be a significant multiplayer experience. Until we know for sure, there is no reason to call him out and say he's a liar or a conman, and I think the gaming community at large is acting out of line.

DataGhost

Lol sorry man!

The sticker situation is so absurd I'm still in partial disbelief.

I was hyped to hell for this game before multiplayer was ever talked about, so I'm mainly disappointed with the lack of honesty and transparency which I mostly blame on Sony. Sean seems like a good guy, I feel if Hello Games wasn't under Sony things would be much different right now. I wonder if Sean and company regret making a deal with Sony.

It's okay, I don't particularly blame you as I was a bit angry when I posted my credibility in the evidence!

It may have been as you said that our judgement had been clouded, but yes, the transparency would've been nice. Not some article a few days later talking about the sticker when it was revealed as such.

Guardian

Banned
GAF is tearing itself apart over an aspect of the game that was not ever really promised.

Its funny how some people bought this game with the thought of multiplayer in mind as the first thing they care about when single player exploration was billed as the main objective.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Two posts in a row. And these are NMS purchasers. And people wonder why is fucking stupid that this hasn't been cleared up yet.
the only reason its funny to me is because i saw multiple spaceships on my planet flying out of orbit. i was like "no way! people!". i started shooting at them hoping they would notice, turn around and land. now i realize it's just some random animation that happens in the sky.

man, talk about the loneliest game ever. lol

GAF is tearing itself apart of an aspect of the game that was not ever really promised.

Its funny how some people bought this game with the thought of multiplayer in mind as the first thing they care about when single player exploration was billed as the main objective.
ironically, youre completely missing the point of their concerns.

DataGhost

Forgive me for being abrasive but I thought you meant actual serious things to consider.

Nah, don't be sorry.

This is still pretty serious if it becomes a trend. Where features are promised yet never delivered.

For serious things to consider, is the potential of Hello Games being abruptly halted as they did create a pretty amazing game (from what I've seen thus far) and it looks fun. But it shouldn't have to end because of a little lie that could've been easily cleared up if they were willing to come forth with a non-spoilerly statement of whether a feature they advertised was still in the game or not as they haven't denied it / contradicted its existence directly.

VanWinkle

The reason this shouldn't be so controversial is that this "feature" wouldn't have even affected 99.9999% of people. BUT the totally bizarre thing is that Murray hasn't said anything about it. It's really weird and it seems unlike him.

ElfArmy177

Why didn't you correct those doctors if you've seen them?

Also don't understand how this reference even works. You're telling me someone's life is comparable to a video game? How exactly does that play out?

Yes people make mistakes. AND WHEN THEY MAKE THOSE MISTAKES THEY APOLOGIZE FOR IT AND NOT BE COY WITH THE CONSUMER.

How would you like it if that VERY SAME DOCTOR YOU DIDN'T STOP THE MISDIAGNOSIS OF told the same patient later, oh yeah don't worry about that "benign cancer" and constantly avoids answering the question by talking about their other conditions. I don't see how you're equating this here, I really want to understand this.

What we're asking for is a clear cut answer about a functionality that was stated to be in game.

Not a misdiagnosis... More of a "he didn't think it was cancerous"... False hope I guess though he didn't mean to

Walpurgis

Banned
Will these kind of responses ever stop?

Two in one even: "poor indie dev" and "small feature anyway"

I will be glad that I was wrong.

But it won't happen.

It was a feature that was talked about, many people were expecting it, now the dev went radio silent.

Sure it is justified.
The fanboys should really stick to the OT. We all know if this was a Ubisoft developed game, they would be singing a different tune. The weak defenses have gotten old.

If there really is MP in the game, im hoping its something really basic.

No name tags, nothing.

Just wandering around a magnificent alien planet, watch some dude walk over at me and doing the only emoticon present in the game *waves*.

This is how I picture it :p

Keep on believing for another couple of days but brace for disappointment.

All these believer-posts and excuses are too funny.

I won't be disappointed. I don't think being able to see someone else in a game built for single-player gameplay is a big deal to begin with.

I would have never even bothered adding that to the game. It means absolutely nothing to the rest of the game. There is no gameplay designed for more than 1 player in NMS.

So why even waste your time with this "feature"? I'd rather they added more variety to other parts of the game than waste their time with a completely useless gimmick like this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Unfair to the other two honestly.

Agreed, they actually have great games under their belt instead of a console exclusive deal.

Ok, now this shit is bringing out the crazy train.

The fanboys should really stick to the OT. We all know if this was a Ubisoft developed game, they would be singing a different tune. The weak defenses have gotten old.

lol, and it blossoms more.

Sean, please, I beg you, say something... deliver us from this.

DataGhost

Not a misdiagnosis... More of a "he didn't think it was cancerous"... False hope I guess though he didn't mean to

But isn't that what people are feelin now about this game? False hope for something that might not be there because the silence is all we're getting.

Just like how the doctor didn't believe that slim chance of it being cancerous happening, Sean didn't believe the slim chance of people meeting up for a while would happen. But it happened! On the first day of the launch no less!

LeBart

If there really is MP in the game, im hoping its something really basic.

No name tags, nothing.

Just wandering around a magnificent alien planet, watch some dude walk over at me and doing the only emoticon present in the game *waves*.

This is how I picture it :p

Sean Murray compared it to Journey once. So it probably would've been exactly that.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
You guys are pathetic children. The game doesn't have the feature, just suck it up and ask mom for $60 to buy a different game, that's what I did.

ElfArmy177

But isn't that what people are feelin now about this game? False hope for something that might not be there because the silence is all we're getting.

Just like how the doctor didn't believe that slim chance of it being cancerous happening, Sean didn't believe the slim chance of people meeting up for a while would happen. But it happened! On the first day of the launch no less!

Agreed but my point is... I don't believe he purposely misinformed people like all of you think he did. He didn't "lie" to get more sales... I honestly believe he just.. wanted a bigger scope than what it came to be and his first interviews were based off that. Nothing recently states there is real multiplayer

Lothars

I'm not a fanboy, heck I don't even own the game yet but I can't find this to be an overreaction and call out people for overreacting for something that nobody really knows and we don't have answers yet.

The outrage isn't justified and frankly it's sad that people are outraged by this for little reason.

Phaezyk

Reposting this from my edit:

I don't know where people are getting this notion that Sean Murray is out to Con You All out of your $60 and "Lied" about a feature that isn't actually in the game.

Until they say otherwise, YOU DON'T KNOW. So why get hung up about it? Is it because you thought Multiplayer was a significant and substantial feature of the game? The same multiplayer feature that has been cast aside time and time again by Sean as "not really the point" and hard to accomplish by players in the game? I certainly thought before launch that it wouldn't take much more than rubbing two brain cells together to figure out that they wanted direct player interaction to be a rare and special event, not something that just happens as standard in your travels. Did anyone really believe that they didn't think out the easiest logstical strategies for meeting another player in-game and then create a system to counteract that to keep meetups as a rare and special event?

Now if for some reason this system wasn't functioning properly or maybe they thought it went against the spirit of the game and decided to take it out, that is THEIR DECISION. They never made this game out to be a significant multiplayer experience. Until we know for sure, there is no reason to call him out and say he's a liar or a conman, and I think the gaming community at large is acting out of line.

Also for your information I don't own the game and I don't plan on buying it. I just think a lot of you are acting shitty and entitled! There! I said it! Yep I used the word! In this context I am confident that it is 100% appropriate to use that word.

DataGhost

Agreed but my point is... I don't believe he purposely misinformed people like all of you think he did. He didn't "lie" to get more sales... I honestly believe he just.. wanted a bigger scope than what it came to be and his first interviews were based off that. Nothing recently states there is real multiplayer

Then if it's not on purpose, why not come out to say it?

Hey guys, the feature isn't there. Don't expect to find it. We apologize that we talked about the feature but with the development time we were given it wasn't possible within the scope of the release date launch. We will however implement this in the future.

There. No more false hope for something. Why not help us dispel it instead of keeping silent?

You don't get to Molyneux levels of reputation in one day. The entitiy Molyneux, formerly known as Peter Molyneux was decades in the making. It took years of hard work, lies, broken promises and deception.

yup, you're just forgetting one little thing

at least 5 masterpiece

Chronus

The multiplayer is still real to me dammit!

Well, the game's steam store page does not have the Multiplayer label. And according to webarchive, it never did.
All it has is "Single-player", "Steam Achievements", "Full controller support" and "Steam cloud", so make of that what you want.

Bedlam

I won't be disappointed. I don't think being able to see someone else in a game built for single-player gameplay is a big deal to begin with.

I would have never even bothered adding that to the game. It means absolutely nothing to the rest of the game. There is no gameplay designed for more than 1 player in NMS.

So why even waste your time with this "feature"? I'd rather they added more variety to other parts of the game than waste their time with a completely useless gimmick like this.
So you really don't get the compelling aspect of knowing that thousands of players are up there somewhere in the sky, doing their thing ... and the wonder of possibly encountering one of these players in Journey-like style?

It's honestly hard for me to comprehend that this is completely irrelevant to some players.

Clockwork5

Nah, don't be sorry.

This is still pretty serious if it becomes a trend. Where features are promised yet never delivered.

For serious things to consider, is the potential of Hello Games being abruptly halted as they did create a pretty amazing game (from what I've seen thus far) and it looks fun. But it shouldn't have to end because of a little lie that could've been easily cleared up if they were willing to come forth with a non-spoilerly statement of whether a feature they advertised was still in the game or not as they haven't denied it / contradicted its existence directly.

Yeah I agree it will be interesting to see where Hello Games goes from here, with the scarlet letter around their neck so to speak. If Sean comes out to announce some incredibly ambitious title, how many people here are just going to roll their eyes and link this thread a quadrillion times. Deservedly so.

And in regards to your previous post it just seemed like you were contemplating the motives for Sean to stay quiet. It just seems like we won't know much of anything until he actually speaks up. My reply was just a bit cutting since the tone of this thread has kind of put me in a combative mood. I should probably find something else to do.

ElfArmy177

Hey guys, the feature isn't there. Don't expect to find it. We apologize that we talked about the feature but with the development time we were given it wasn't possible within the scope of the release date launch. We will however implement this in the future.

There. No more false hope for something. Why not help us dispel it instead of keeping silent?

Because he probably has an NDA where he can't say shit that's why. (This is entirely my opinion)

Bedlam

Also for your information I don't own the game and I don't plan on buying it. I just think a lot of you are acting shitty and entitled! There! I said it! Yep I used the word! In this context I am confident that it is 100% appropriate to use that word.
*yawn* same old shit ... you didn't need to post another one of these. We've been over these weak excuses several times.

Because he probably has an NDA where he can't say shit that's why. (This is entirely my opinion)
Were did that NDA nonsense come from? Why would the NDA suddenly kick in halfway through the first release day? The mental gymnastics are astonishing.

flkraven

I've said this before and I will say it again:

The burden of proof is on the developer to prove that a feature exists in their game. Not on the consumer to prove it doesn't exist.

And if it's their decision, fine, but maybe they should inform the public first since it may impact THEIR decision to purchase the game.

ViciousDS

Banned

Entitled would be special treatment and I'm sorry that Sean compared the game numerous times to Journey, I'm sorry that he said numerous times you could grief players a little, I'm sorry that he said you could run into other players and see their characters models. I plan on buying it.....when I get a clear fucking answer. If there isn't multiplayer despite the fact he has said in multiple....I mean clear fucking question interviews that there is multiplayer then I wait for a price drop. If there IS multiplayer ala journey style....I will drop the $60 on the game easily.

Also when do these weak as hell defense posts stop? Do you guys always spin the same bullshit?

DataGhost

Because he probably has an NDA where he can't say shit that's why

Oh okay. Then why not say:

I'm under NDA. I cannot talk about it at the moment.

As others have stated, the NDA would usually end when the product is out. The NDA they would have with Sony should have ended already when the PS4 version released.

I don't believe saying that you're under NDA violates an NDA.

Phaezyk

That would be the sensible thing to do, yes. So what conclusion can we draw if this is the case? Perhaps the feature is still in but is gated behind a system of condition checks to keep people from easily meeting up and having an adventure together and instead have it a rare event that simply hasn't happened yet?

...Nah. Let's just jump to "He's a goddamned liar where is my multiplayer my clan is so angry right now!!"

Entitled would be special treatment and I'm sorry that Sean compared the game numerous times to Journey, I'm sorry that he said numerous times you could grief players a little, I'm sorry that he said you could run into other players and see their characters models. I plan on buying it.....when I get a clear fucking answer. If there isn't multiplayer despite the fact he has said in multiple....I mean clear fucking question interviews that there is multiplayer then I wait for a price drop. If there IS multiplayer ala journey style....I will drop the $60 on the game easily.

Yes, he answered those questions as technically as possible. By all means, wait until you get a clear answer. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with people becoming juvenile gremlins once again and no one says shit about it.

Also when do these weak as hell defense posts stop? Do you guys always spin the same bullshit?
Maybe because it's sensible and reasonable? I'm sorry you (and many others) seem intent turning a blind eye to reason.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
*yawn* same old shit ... you didn't need to post another one of these. We've been over these weak excuses several times.

Not sticking up for that guy at all, but...

This whole thread is a circle jerk (without new information), maybe that is why you are yawning... tired?

That would be the sensible thing to do, yes. So what conclusion can we draw if this is the case? Perhaps the feature is still in but is gated behind a system of condition checks to keep people from easily meeting up and having an adventure together and instead have it a rare event that simply hasn't happened yet?

...Nah. Let's just jump to "He's a goddamned liar where is my multiplayer my clan is so angry right now!!"

I am on this approach... but I still would like something from him, after the PC version goes live, so we can put this to rest.

Polk

Exactly, but this was one of the excuses that was come up with.

I don't quite believe it since usually once the product is out there, the NDA is done. If this is not the case, Sean is keeping silent to keep the sales up.
Well, there was that one time Square wanted to NDA Valkyrie Profile 2 info after game being already released in Japan.

So you really don't get the compelling aspect of knowing that thousands of players are up there somewhere in the sky, doing their thing ... and the wonder of possibly encountering one of these players in Journey-like style?

It's honestly hard for me to comprehend that this is completely irrelevant to some players.

It doesn't sound compelling to me if we can't do anything together but jump up and down like idiots in front of one another in isolated instances.

It is irrelevant to me in that way, yes.

I would have preferred random AI NPCs wandering around that I can actually interact with instead.

DataGhost

Nah, we don't need to jump that far.

But if it's a condition, then all he has to say is:

It's still in the game. Good luck finding it

There, non spoilerly and an official statement that will quell our curiousity. It wouldn't have blown up and news sites covering this.

I always understood that even if they are at the same exact spot, the chance of seeing other players is very very small. Otherwise this would be just like a MMO but in a huge universe. Sony the said the bandwidth this game uses is very small so you wouldn't need to pay for an online subscription. Is all of this not the case?
Was journey an mmo? I'm assuming how nms would work would be with one player hosting and others seamlessly connecting to the same session. It's all speculation though. It wouldn't require any more bandwidth than any popular game with coop/pvp features. Dark souls for example.

The point is not knowing is a problem. Whatever it is that we don't know, just come out and fucking say it.

Were did that NDA nonsense come from? Why would the NDA suddenly kick in halfway through the first release day? The mental gymnastics are astonishing.

You seem like a creep.

Clockwork5

If this is the case, you can finally put me in the "this industry is disgusting" group.

NDAs serve a pourpose but they shouldn't serve to prohibit a developer from clarifying miscommunications/lies about a core feature of the game. That would be so incredibly slimy that I really hope it's not the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom