• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, some of the theories from steam...

Juddaas Aug 10 @ 5:16pm
Well my first thought is that both players existed side by side in alternate universes. Each knew the other was there but unable to prove it. The trick is being ablet to open up a passage to the other dimension and crossing over. Rumor is the developers have built this into the game, but it will be up to the travelers to discover the method. Hint: Harnessing massive amounts of energy.

OuterLimits

Btw, Sean several times talked about planets with massive storms including hurricanes and tornadoes. I'm curious if anyone has found a tornado planet.

Planets I have been on have been damn boring in regards to weather.

dili

So, it seens we will not get any answers soon. Sean is very well aware, and they decided not to comment.
Of course not. This lying douche is waiting till after the pc version is out and the launch is past for both versions to make any kind of statement so as to not affect sales. Then when a good chunk of time has passed (when he has your money) he will write an open letter " apologizing" to try and regain some support, hoping to sweep this under the rug by then. This has all the markings of a total scam artist. And it's the exact same stunts Peter monelyux would do every single time.

This whole situation is mirroring what happened with tmartn and csgo lotto scandal. I expect this asshole to include a dog also somehow to try and drum up some kind of fake sympathy the way tmartn did. Whoever is defending this is being played like a damn fiddle.

Anyone else holding out hope that pausing the game may change your local time and you have to meet in the 4th dimension? Or just server load issues...

KxpATtE.png

Froli

The game is lacking so many elements but that fucking ending...if that's the ending, my god

Thats just Disingenuous to the players.
I've been wtf'ng for awhile now

Ok, I also found this quote on steam supposedly by Sean. Can anybody confirm it's validity?

“Just to be clear, it's not just going to run a video of me saying, ‘Hi, welcome to the center of the galaxy.’ I can confirm it's not going to be a link to a YouTube video. Inside a box.”

Murray says that players will want to share the experience with their friends, even though the team is trying to temper players’ multiplayer expectations. “Are you gonna want your friends to join you there? Yeah, without giving too much away, yes.”

Edit: Yup, found the source. It's from a GamInformer interview.

So he said that you would want your friends to be with you at the center... That's really heavily implying multiplayer. I mean, what else could that possibly mean. I can't imagine anyone taking that to mean anything other than hanging with your friends at the center in an epic moment.

VARIA

I have a tin foil hat theory that most of the detractors in this thread are either:

a. The same folks that complained (before release) "what do you do in No Man's Sky!!!"

or

b. Ardent XB1 Fans that can be traced in their history.

Just a crazy conspiracy theory of mine. lol

CpoiiAqUMAQEdxH.jpg

I have a tin foil hat theory that most of the detractors in this thread are either:

a. The same folks that complained (before release) "what do you do in No Man's Sky!!!"

or

i have a crazy conspiracy this is a shitpost

or

Yeah, you should really keep this kind of dumb theory to yourself.

Ok, I also found this quote on steam supposedly by Sean. Can anybody confirm it's validity?

Edit: Yup, found the source. It's from a GamInformer interview.

So he said that you would want your friends to be with you at the center... That's really heavily implying multiplayer. I mean, what else could that possibly mean. I can't imagine anyone taking that to mean anything other than hanging with your friends at the center in an epic moment.

Op should add this

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man. I originally thought this thread was completely overblown and silly, but now I'm kinda glad my budget didn't allow for a day one buy here.

While I think the online part might not be intentional and could be patched in or fixed later, the earlier talk about the sun and stars you see being just a skybox and the whole talk about a physics based "real" universe being bull really adds to it, same with all the other interviews being debunked, no real variety in animals, the sticker thing and so on.

Super disappointing, I was really rooting for Hello Games before.

Of course not. This lying douche is waiting till after the pc version is out and the launch is past for both versions to make any kind of statement so as to not affect sales. Then when a good chunk of time has passed (when he has your money) he will write an open letter " apologizing" to try and regain some support, hoping to sweep this under the rug by then..

You're kind of overdoing it painting him as some evil master planner, but in a factual sense, this might actually happen. :(

He said that because he expected people to invite their real life friends over for a "Center of the Universe" party. I want my friends there, just not virtually.

Another truthful quote by my boy Sean.

Pepboy

The taking out the MP could be the reason of the delay, it just wasnt working. Would make sense with the sticker fiasco.

Even if this was the case (not likely), it would still be his fault for not communicating the change / failure to get the feature working. As multiple people have posted, post release NDAs aren't really a thing.

SQUEEEEEEEEL...... VVVRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM

Operator: "911 what is your emergency?"

Concerned Gaffer: "Uh, h-hello, I'd like to report an attempted hit and run. Somebody just tried to plow into a group of people. Thankfully no one was hurt. I hope that person was ok."

Operator: "Thank you for letting us know we will send an office-"

Concerned Gaffer: "Oh, actually it looks like an officer already arrived at the scene. Boy you guys work fast!"

Operator: "Glad we could be of assistance. Have a great day!"

Feel like the game fell victim to hype.

If it was released in an alpha - beta - release via early access like Minecraft was, they probably would've added multiplayer and mechanics along the way.

Who knows.

VARIA

Operator: "911 what is your emergency?"

Concerned Gaffer: "Uh, h-hello, I'd like to report an attempted hit and run. Somebody just tried to plow into a group of people. Thankfully no one was hurt. I hope that person was ok."

Operator: "Thank you for letting us know we will send an office-"

Concerned Gaffer: "Oh, actually it looks like an officer already arrived at the scene. Boy you guys work fast!"

Operator: "Glad we could be of assistance. Have a great day!"

Really cute! I hope you one day succeed at your attempts at creative writing.

Slightly off topic but I do think Todd Howard has done more good than bad though. I feel like that video does a poor job of skewering him, almost none of those things are lies or even little lies. 200 endings is a pretty big stretch but understandable when clarified. The rest are just...straight up true.

Btw, Sean several times talked about planets with massive storms including hurricanes and tornadoes. I'm curious if anyone has found a tornado planet.

Planets I have been on have been damn boring in regards to weather.

I've seen mild rain, mild winds and some light snowfall. No impressive storms like you'd expect though.

Heya Todd

I guess my standpoint is that I can forgive a few misses when you've been so instrumental in a masterpiece like Morrowind. Some of them I don't even consider major misses, I really enjoyed Fallout 3 as well. 4 is a disappointment, though.

Molyneux had far more misses than hits, and even his hits were fraught with lies.

EDIT: Sorry though, back to regularly scheduled NMS thread.

Me: Hello? I'd like to report a kidnapping.

911: Who has been kidnapped?

Me: Sean Murray.

911: Can you describe him?

Me: White male. Has a beard, wears flannels, doesn't wear shoes during professional interviews. Uhhhh,... he has a face of an asshole but he's really honest and genuine, don't get me wrong. Always smiling too.

911: How do you know him?

Me: I don't. He's a game developer.

911: How do you know he's kidnapped?

Me: I haven't heard from him in days about a really important matter. It's not like him. People are calling him a liar and it's upsetting. The only explanation is that he was kidnapped.

911: So do you usually talk with him?

Me: No. He tweets though. A LOT.

911: ...

Me: Hello?... I think his most try recent tweets were code for help... Hello?

Durden77

Jesus what is going on in this game.

I couldn't buy it at release because of broke-ass-bitch syndrome. Kinda glad because this shitstorm is crazy. Probably still gonna buy it the second I get the money tho.

Me: Hello? I'd like to report a kidnapping.

911: Who has been kidnapped?

Me: Sean Murray.

911: Can you describe him?

Me: White male. Has a beard, wears flannels, doesn't wear shoes during professional interviews. Uhhhh,... he has a face of an asshole but he's really honest and genuine, don't get me wrong. Always smiling too.

911: How do you know him?

Me: I don't. He's a game developer.

911: How do you know he's kidnapped?

Me: I haven't heard from him in days about a really important matter. It's not like him. People are calling him a liar and it's upsetting. The only explanation is that he was kidnapped.

911: So do you usually talk with him?

Me: No. He tweets though. A LOT.

911: ...

Me: Hello?... I think his most try recent tweets were code for help... Hello?

2576d247-cd79-4846-91a1-ab4ad8e39f5c.gif

I do have a couple questions, just for keeping up with developments...

- Has anyone on any stream or Reddit or anything commented that they thought they saw another player in the game? In any form, Dark Souls ghosty or whatever. Even with the excuse that servers are hammered and things might not be working quite right, the game has been going long enough with enough people playing it that surely if it was in the game someone would've noticed something. The internet always finds everything within 48 hours.

- Have other players tried to meet up, and went mostly ignored because they weren't those first two who tried it? I thought I heard earlier that others were headed for each other to try as well.

Got a link?

Major, major spoilers. Do not look if you don't want to be spoiled on the ending of No Man's Sky.

There is a cutscene with lots of light and transcendence and outer spacey stuff, and then you start all over again in a new galaxy, far from the center as before, with your ship and tools broken. New Game+. Can't go back to the first galaxy. Presumably, everyone will go from the same first galaxy to the same second galaxy, and onward for who knows how long.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah, you should really keep this kind of dumb theory to yourself.
Oh damn.

However, we'll soon know since PC release data miners. I do hope there's trace of it, even if they don't officially supported it at release maybe a modder can make it work between people.

I'm kinda disappointed they haven't even addressed it yet tho.

I went into the game expecting a SP game but the chance of traveling to a planet and seeing another player land in the distance and track them down would be an amazing addition to the game, no doubt, as they advertised it.

The weird twist would be that it's disabled on console, seeing all the crashes it might have something to do with it. I don't you, you tell me. I think it's related to crashes. Maybe.

sandkiller

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/issues/

"ISSUES

We’re tracking a number of issues, bugs and crashes that players are reporting, and working to resolve as soon as possible.

The number of people players, and length of average play session, has been far more than our small team could have anticipated. That said, we’re working quickly to adapt.

We sincerely apologise to anyone affected in the meantime.

Here are some things to be aware of:
We’ve brought a new QA team on board today (larger than the entire Hello Games team!). This will complement the existing Sony QA team.
We are working on fixes for the most critical issues, which will be in a patch in the near future.
We will be moving to a ticketed support system next week, and have hired someone to manage this starting Monday.
Some information will be posted in the Sony forums here http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Games-Services/bd-p/22190

Or contact Hello Games here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/support/

Workarounds
Here are some workarounds for some known issues:
If you believe you are stuck, or can’t reach your ship, be aware you can jetpack forever whilst pushing against any surface
If you have made a mistake – you can revert to any of your two previous saves in the Options Menu
If you have left your ship somewhere inaccessible, you will be able to summon it from landing pads or beacons found at most buildings or points of interest (marked by question marks)

It has been reported that some players have not received a pre-order bonus. In most cases so far, the player has either not redeemed their bonus correctly from the PS store or from the Options Menu. Also sometimes players have received the bonus, but the name displayed in-game was incorrect. The Alpha Vector ship is named Domanish S84 in-game, and (in the US) the Rezosu AZ65 is named Final Shadow XIV in game.

It has been reported that using the pre-order bonus ship will leave some players stranded, if they purchase or transfer to a new ship that does not have a hyperdrive (if done very early in game). In most cases the player is actually able to continue (107 of the 135 reports emailed so far). The game already detects the player needs a hyperdrive and directs them to a nearby NPC who will give the player the hyperdrive they need. Some other players were able to resolve this issue by restarting their console.

Hopefully this helps some players. If you still are having issues, please contact Hello Games support here:
mailto:support@hellogames.co.uk

For those this does not help, please know we are working to resolve these issues as soon as possible in a patch. This will include crash fixes also.

Thank you,
Sean"

No mention of MP issues anywhere...

ISee

Major, major spoilers. Do not look if you don't want to be spoiled on the ending of No Man's Sky.

There is a cutscene with lots of light and transcendence and outer spacey stuff, and then you start all over again in a new galaxy, far from the center as before, with your ship and tools broken. New Game+. Can't go back to the first galaxy. Presumably, everyone will go from the same first galaxy to the same second galaxy, and onward for who knows how long.

Just to clarify: Stuff is broken but everything is still there (e.g. resources)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom