• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

That's not the reason behind the complaints. The ire is because he won't answer the question.
It absolutely is part of the complaints, I keep seeing it every page on this thread.

The outrage is because features that where marketed have been proven to be false and when we aske (a whole lot of "we") we get nothing. The consumers are the ones giving them money based on what was promised to them. They are the ones getting ritch on the misinformation.

Literally all of this could be cleared up so easily if they would just say something.
It needs to be cleared up that is something I said. The outrage is still insane to me until we get a clear answer.

Pop

He's been calling out people and denying everything consistently for the last 3 days going from "MP is there and servers are fucked" all the way over to "They never said there was MP in this game" with no shame whatsoever.

He's just a fanboy and deserves to be called out on his crap. Other users have been elegantly accepting the reality of things and dealing with it like everyone else, this guys continues to push forward no matter what. And he will continue make no mistake.

Yo man, why you do this. I don't even have the game yet. I'm just trying to be reasonable. This topic needed 5 pages max. Why the 156 pages of calling the dude a liar, attacking etc... Childish behavior

Single-player game with mp aspects sprinkled in. Sean clearly states this in that March video.

Inviusx

No. You started with saying the servers were just down. Then you changed to the times being different, so they couldn't see each other. Then you switched to posting a video from that French website a dozen times, which still talked about multiplayer features that aren't in the game.

It's OK of course, all your opinions and they can chance. But it shows that there is no clarity at all for people and the developer should fix that.

He's been calling people out since the start of this thread, so I found the change in narrative interesting. It's all posts from the same thread and discussion, so I don't think it is bad to bring that up. It also points out that there is a lot of confusion, which is the reason for this whole thread.

Yeah but the people who were so adamant about the MP at the start of this thread were simply just victims of Sean and his mesmerising beard lies and weren't ready to admit it yet.

Hello Games have done a shitty thing and its not the fault of the fans.

Woah, I'm consistent.

Still says single-player everywhere.

Dude, really?

You completely shifted from saying multi is definitely in (w/server problems) to multi is definitely out. That's the opposite of consistency, you've simply been saying whatever is convenient to make Sean look like he was always telling the truth.

Peltz

By the way, did this thread see Sean's latest tweets?

The ones he's making during this hotfix crunch time, so he doesn't have time to comment on any of this controversy?
Eh... We know he reads NeoGAF because he's mentioned our community before. I also assume he's been on the site since launching the gane because he'd naturally be curious about seeing the feedback.

The lack of response on this issue is beyond disappointing. He's totally lost my respect. I was rooting for him even though I knew people would be disappointed with the game. But the lack of transparency is, in my humble opinion, beyond disgraceful. It's unethical and exhibits very poor judgment and a complete lack of business sense.

Just like with Molyneux, I will not purchase any software this guy makes in the future. Luckily, I did not get burned by throwing down $60 to support this developer.

Making a bad game is forgivable. Cutting content is forgivable. Disappointing gamers is forgivable. And failure in general is forgivable.

Ignoring the community and refusing to be transparent, however, is not. His silence represents all that is wrong with the gaming industry.

Zomba13

He didn't spoil the ending.

To me (again, having not played the game because it's not out on PC yet) it sounds like he spoilt what is at the centre of the galaxy and that, from my understanding, was the main goal, to get there and find out what was there.

Even if it isn't the "ending" (it wouldn't surprise me if the game doesn't "end" but just keeps going once you "finish") it's still a main part of the game that was shrouded in mystery by the devs, it was something they didn't want you to know about until you got there.

It needs to be cleared up that is something I said. The outrage is still insane to me until we get a clear answer.

I can imagine that that is exactly what they would want. For us to quiet down and stop making a ruckus so that we don't force their hand and have to admit to anything. It is within their best interest to keep quiet while they rake in the sales from the misinformation in the short term though it would be better off for them in the long run to come clean sooner. While it is in the consumers best interest to know sooner and the longer this goes on the more damage will be done to HG's reputation in the long run.

This is what many here are trying to prevent.

Peltz

It absolutely is part of the complaints, I keep seeing it every page on this thread.

The lack of clear answer at this point IS why it's an outrage.

mike6467

I was trying to explain the situation to someone at work just now and used this analogy because some people don't understand the nuances of games, got the absurdity of the situation across quite well I think.

Car manufacturer before release: "Top speed of the car is 200MPH! Though it's not very likely anyone will ever hit that, it can do it though!"

Car is released

Testers: "The car only goes 165MPH and it takes like 3 minutes to get there"

Car Manufacturer: "Mind is blown anyone actually tried it! That gas pedal sure does work! WOW"

Anti Car audience: "YOU LIED"

Pro Car audience: "Come on guys, how many people were really excited because they thought it would hit 200, that wasn't the focus of the car, how many people are really going to use that feature?"

Manufacturer: $$$$

EDIT: Analogy is improved if, instead of a car, this whole thing occurs with a mini-van.

Inviusx

Yo man, why you do this. I don't even have the game yet. I'm just trying to be reasonable. This topic needed 5 pages max. Why the 156 pages of calling the dude a liar, attacking etc... Childish behavior

Single-player game with mp aspects sprinkled in. Sean clearly states this in that March video.

You have been Molynuex'd my friend. Its not yout fault we have all been there. Once you reach the acceptance stage things will start to become clearer.

Klyka

Banned
To me (again, having not played the game because it's not out on PC yet) it sounds like he spoilt what is at the centre of the galaxy and that, from my understanding, was the main goal, to get there and find out what was there.

Even if it isn't the "ending" (it wouldn't surprise me if the game doesn't "end" but just keeps going once you "finish") it's still a main part of the game that was shrouded in mystery by the devs, it was something they didn't want you to know about until you got there.

At no point did he talk about the center, you are assuming that yourself.

Even if it's not the ending he spoilt part of what I will assume is the main questline. This is a thread about multiplayer not about story spoilers. He should've used tags ffs.

That uh....doesn't exist.

Just ignore what he said as being relevant, he really didn't spoil anything about the ending or the center.

Uthred

Only two or three hours until some kind of answer, not that it matters as it'll either be "There is multiplayer but it requires mysterious shennanagins" in which case the "supporters" will be all "Ha!" and the detractors will quickly back-peddle to reframe outrage over lack of MP as really being outrage over Sean not ruining the mystery in favour of clarity or it'll be "There is no multiplayer", in which case the detractors will be all "Ha!" and the supporters will slink off to drown their sorrows in pictures of Seans apparently hypnotic beard. And then the thread will be locked. And then we go back to waiting for the heat death of the universe.

That's the point. I don't know why you keep separating them.

Eumi

Only two or three hours until some kind of answer, not that it matters as it'll either be "There is multiplayer but it requires mysterious shennanagins" in which case the "supporters" will be all "Ha!" and the detractors will quickly back-peddle to reframe outrage over lack of MP as really being outrage over Sean not ruining the mystery in favour of clarity or it'll be "There is no multiplayer", in which case the detractors will be all "Ha!" and the supporters will slink off to drown their sorrows in pictures of Seans apparently hypnotic beard. And then the thread will be locked. And then we go back to waiting for the heat death of the universe.
No matter what the answer is it won't change the fact that the thing most people are annoyed about is the silence.

Unless, the silence is a part of the game?

Is that the true goal? Is that what's at the end? A tweet from Sean saying "Multiplayer is in."

"Maybe"

Pop a long time ago I asked you to spell out your beliefs on how multi or the lack thereof is represented in this game, just to get it all out in the open, in the clear. Something you could point to as a consistent messaging on your part. You totally ignored that post, and here we are.

Here it is again:

Server problems on day 1? Maybe...seems logical

But anyways, carry on.
What is your actual, official belief on the state of multiplayer and this game, laid out plain and simple?

Like let me just try to lay it out and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

- Sean said there was multiplayer in the past many times, despite it not being a focus
- "Multiplayer" in the context of this game means naming discoveries, and being able to see other players online, though this would be extremely rare
- No real interaction with others, just literally look at them, you can both move around and see the movements each other are making, you can't attack each other or chat or anything
- The box art lacking the online icon and saying 1 player and Steam saying 1 player are erroneous or otherwise simply downplaying the multiplayer since it's such a mild form of it
- The Wireshark packet scan showing no transmitted location data is erroneous because local instances are only spun up when two players get really close, so someone doing the test by themselves won't see anything
- The two players not being able to meet despite both being online at once are due to launch networking difficulties, and/or being in different real world locations, and/or not being in the same local instance
- In other words, in the future, maybe tomorrow for all we know, two people will actually see each other and move around near each other and see that movement and be like "whoa neat"
- Therefore Sean never lied, everything he said in the past is actually true, you never see what you look like until you see another real player etc. etc.

Is that about right?

Anyone else who can safely say this is their viewpoint?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Update:

"lie" - 305
"lies" - 124
"lying" - 259
"duckshit" - 15
"crackachu" - 139

Someone should make a gif out of this but tweak it to having everyone asking him about MP, etc. "Sean. Sean! SEAN!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og
(press X to Shaun)

WO8KrnD.gif

Shari

You have been arguing theres MP in the game for two days and then the contrary once you've realized like everyone else that there ain't any in the way it was said over and over.

You keep hanging all you want to that march video, you have one video from march and people are arguing about tweets that are not a week old, you dont have a point as you didnt a few days ago either.

Again, you are not bothered by the childish behaviour, you are just defending the game at any cost, having you change your argument as the time passes has proven that much.

Zomba13

That is an older post you just dug up that might not have been seen before D:

But I did see it. That is why I'm annoyed. And you said it isn't a spoiler so why the D: ?

And before you say something like "why did you look so far back?" it was quoted on page 154 (50ppp) which was the page I started reading from when I checked back in because the topic was on 155 (which is where I first post asking about the spoiler which is also the page where he posts about it again).

SomTervo

Tell me again that this isn't extremely reminiscent of this kinda stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6huMhJoWcg

Most of what Sean said is true thouogh. Like, basically a handful of details have definitely or possibly been lied about, but the massive, sweeping, ridiculous-sounding stuff has absolutely come true. The game's scope is staggering. E.g. from that very quote - yes, you can walk all the way around a planet start to finish and it takes tens upon tens of hours at least.

What I have done now?

You tell me!

image.php

Permanently A

Genuinely surprised Hello Games hasn't cleared this up yet. Has this drama hit the mainstream gaming sites yet? I wonder how long HG thinks they can just ignore this.

Nope, there's no way out of this, the moment multiplayer shows up (if ever) people will say that it was added post launch and that it didn't exist so far.

DigtialT

Genuinely surprised Hello Games hasn't cleared this up yet. Has this drama hit the mainstream gaming sites yet? I wonder how long HG thinks they can just ignore this.

Yes it has, but they just attributed it to server issues unfortunately

Nope, there's no way out of this, the moment multiplayer shows up (if ever) people will say that it was added post launch and that it didn't exist so far.

There is no way for them to do that unless through a patch, so no people wont say that unless they don't understand how patching works.

Uthred

No matter what the answer is it won't change the fact that the thing most people are annoyed about is the silence.

Unless, the silence is a part of the game?

Is that the true goal? Is that what's at the end? A tweet from Sean saying "Multiplayer is in."

"Maybe"

We've been playing it all along, we are the ending.

And no, what most people are annoyed about are the "LIES!", some are draping their faux outrage in "It's about the lack of communication!" and a good chunk actually are just annoyed by the lack of communication, but its certainly not the majority.

But he did...

I like how in the complaints about spoilers we keep quoting them sans tags, I want in on that action

Especially if it happens post-patch

Yes it has, but they just attributed it to server issues unfortunately

Or perhaps as it turns out correctly

Zomba13

I like how in the complaints about spoilers we keep quoting them sans tags, I want in on that action

Well when you have someone who know about the spoilers saying they aren't spoilers then what am I supposed to think?

Because I am trying to keep you from spoilers and here you are trying to dig deeper XD

EDIT: It was quoted on page 154 (50ppp) which was the page I started reading from when I checked back in because the topic was on 155 (which is where I first post asking about the spoiler which is also the page where he posts about it again).

the problem is they are creative people and creative people like to dream big. it's how you even get concepts like NMS in the first place.

we live in an era of unprecedented access. these creative people now have a public outlet to test their ideas, to air their curiosities, to make the act of creating into a more public experience.

and yet you want this to end? to make it so everything announced is first run through the budget, passed off to the lawyers, and doled out in the legal definitions perfectly-worded PR person.

what you want is impossible, thank god, because it would be a horrible world with no transparency and a million more gatekeepers that all have an allegiance towards legal liability rather than game making.

hilarious people want creatives to DREAM BIG and yet get EXTREMELY MAD when those dreams fall short. you can't have one without the other and yet some people convince themselves that absurdity is possible.
As a developer, falling short happens. And when it does based on a feature you've promised or talked about - you clear the air on it.

This isn't about legal liability nor is it impossible.

"Hey remember how we talked about the possibility of MP and players meeting each other, although rare? We had to scrap that feature."

Nobody is asking us to divulge trade secrets or stop dreaming big.

Where on earth are you coming from suggesting otherwise or that it's difficult to say something was cut?

Even if it's a mechanic like several have suggested space/time - you don't even have to give up that ghost or even allude to it: "Yes, MP is still there and you still have a chance to meet other players but you will have to figure out that gameplay mechanic".

How is that "impossible"?

How is that hampering ambition?

How is that a legality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom