• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
the problem is they are creative people and creative people like to dream big. it's how you even get concepts like NMS in the first place.

we live in an era of unprecedented access. these creative people now have a public outlet to test their ideas, to air their curiosities, to make the act of creating into a more public experience.

and yet you want this to end? to make it so everything announced is first run through the budget, passed off to the lawyers, and doled out in the legal definitions perfectly-worded PR person.

what you want is impossible, thank god, because it would be a horrible world with no transparency and a million more gatekeepers that all have an allegiance towards legal liability rather than game making.

hilarious people want creatives to DREAM BIG and yet get EXTREMELY MAD when those dreams fall short. you can't have one without the other and yet some people convince themselves that absurdity is possible.
Or developers could just not lie.

the problem is they are creative people and creative people like to dream big. it's how you even get concepts like NMS in the first place.

we live in an era of unprecedented access. these creative people now have a public outlet to test their ideas, to air their curiosities, to make the act of creating into a more public experience.

and yet you want this to end? to make it so everything announced is first run through the budget, passed off to the lawyers, and doled out in the legal definitions perfectly-worded PR person.

what you want is impossible, thank god, because it would be a horrible world with no transparency and a million more gatekeepers that all have an allegiance towards legal liability rather than game making.

hilarious people want creatives to DREAM BIG and yet get EXTREMELY MAD when those dreams fall short. you can't have one without the other and yet some people convince themselves that absurdity is possible.
Talking about those ideas and such is great. I love it. But if the game has a set release and you know what is going to be in it, you need to clear that up so the people buying it also know what to expect from the actual product. The problem is the communication.

I bought the game two days after release - didn't preorder - and it was still impossible to know if that feature was supposed to be there or not. That's pretty outrageous. And this is when the main developer has been tweeting nonstop for a month until this one specific question is raised and then radio silence rather than informing his potential consumers. Obviously I was informed and decided I was okay either way, but I can 100% see how other people could be misinformed, confused or misled.

And there's a reason we have laws against inducing people into a contract via misleading representations. People are entitled to trust the words of the person selling them something. That's a pretty basic premise.

What's misleading about labeling the game single player, tweeting "To be clear, this is not a multiplayer game, don't go in expecting that", selling it with the label "single player" on all storefronts, and then *maybe* there being a minor feature that involves other players?

I get that people want answers, but I also get that it's clearly Sean Murray's intention to not give them about things he wanted to be mysterious. I don't see a problem with that, because I feel like they answered the important questions (is it a multiplayer game? No.)

If the game was being sold on the premise that it has multiplayer, I'd agree with you. But it is not being sold on that premise.

Or developers could just not lie.

Exactly, I don't get what they are thinking we are trying to do here lol. We are wanting transparency... That would make for a better industry.

No part of what we are asking for is stifling anyone's creativity.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like another pair of players found each other: http://imgur.com/a/tYbch

(guess if they can see each other or not)

This should go in the OT, just message flkraven whenever he comes out of hibernation.

What's misleading about labeling the game single player, tweeting "To be clear, this is not a multiplayer game, don't go in expecting that", selling it with the label "single player" on all storefronts, and then *maybe* there being a minor feature that involves other players?

I get that people want answers, but I also get that it's clearly Sean Murray's intention to not give them about things he wanted to be mysterious. I don't see a problem with that, because I feel like they answered the important questions (is it a multiplayer game? No.)

If the game was being sold on the premise that it has multiplayer, I'd agree with you. But it is not being sold on that premise.
Are we really going in this circle again? That has been said dozens of times already. Right after that tweet about not being a multiplayer game, it was said that the chances to meet someone are "pretty much zero." And that there are "some online features." So it is confusing still. He also tweeted about players "finding each other" but didn't address the point that they couldn't see each other. So what is "finding each other" supposed to mean?

The question is pretty simple: can you meet other players? Yes or no. Up to release the answer seemed to be yes. Now it seems to be no. But the developer refuses to clear this up. That's not wanting to be "mysterious". That is just plain bad communication or deception at worst.

Are we really going in this circle again? That has been said dozens of times already. Right after that tweet about not being a multiplayer game, it was said that the chances to meet someone are "pretty much zero." And that there are "some online features." So it is confusing still. He also tweeted about players "finding each other" but didn't address the point that they couldn't see each other. So what is "finding each other" supposed to mean?

Maybe he's being confusing because directly answering why some people can't see each other compromises a major reveal of the game?

Wrong, as a business owner myself I know very well that every single thing that you say about a product especially on a large far reaching platform is a selling point. Maybe not to everyone but it still has the potential to be for many. That's the whole point of speaking about it, especially in any vague manner.

some people will defend any shitty thing devs or publishers do at this point. i'm just glad i saved someone $60 when they asked me if they should buy this terrible looking game.

Griss

The question is pretty simple: can you meet other players? Yes or no. Up to release the answer seemed to be yes. Now it seems to be no. But the developer refuses to clear this up. That's not wanting to be "mysterious". That is just plain bad communication or deception at worst.

Exactly. I can't understand why people are pretending he didn't say those things. All of them imply heavily that there is multiplayer in there. Especially the part about considering implementing a scanner to help people meet up.

Add that to the pre-release interviews (which are marketing) and people are simply cherry-picking to suit their side.

That's all well and good, but as recently as a February of this year the game was feature complete and he was still going on in interviews about multiplayer and no skyboxes and full physics and what not. Unless he mentally checked out during development of his own game I find it hard to believe that he was still under the impression 6 months ago that those features were ever part of, or still in, the game.

Outrun

I bought the game two days after release - didn't preorder - after initial reviews were already out, and it was still impossible to know if that feature was supposed to be there or not. That's pretty outrageous. And this is when the main developer has been tweeting nonstop for a month until this one specific question is raised and then radio silence rather than informing his potential consumers. Obviously I was informed and decided I was okay either way, but I can 100% see how other people could be misinformed, confused or misled.

And there's a reason we have laws against inducing people into a contract via misleading representations. People are entitled to trust the words of the person selling them something. That's a pretty basic premise.

At this point, they should disclose the feature set one way or the other, just for the sake of clarity.

Careful now, I have been told vehemently on here that we are entitled nothing.

Griss

That's all well and good, but as recently as a February of this year the game was feature complete and he was still going on in interviews about multiplayer and no skyboxes and full physics and what not. Unless he mentally checked out during development of his own game I find it hard to believe that he was still under the impression 6 months ago that those features were ever part of, or still in, the game.

Exactly. These interviews aren't all ancient history.

I bought and am enjoying the hell out of this game right now (it's deeply flawed but I'm enjoying it) but I have no idea why so many people are desperate to give Murray a pass for this.

Can you imagine if this was an Ubisoft game? Would we really have 'two sides' to this? There's 'giving someone the benefit of the doubt' and then there's 'outright denial'.

Careful now, I have been told vehemently on here that we are entitled nothing.

It's crazy how toxic the word 'entitled' has become.

I've seen people state on here multiple times that you aren't 'entitled' to free games with PS+ despite the provision of said games being on all the PS+ advertising.

Protip: When you pay for something, you are entitled to that thing as described by the vendor. And demanding that thing be as described isn't 'being entitled' - you are, in fact, entitled to it.

Who says you can't.

What's more likely to happen will be a random video of two dudes just meeting randomly. Then that will be that.

MP is in, we know this.

Day 1. Servers fucked. No patience.

Like that? MP was never being able to hang with friends

Server problems on day 1? Maybe...seems logical

But anyways, carry on.

There is mp. Online functions worked the same for everyone.

There is clarity. Check steam page, gog website, psn, and back of the box.
This is you within about 48 hours. So much clarity.

SomTervo

Not sure if this was the thread where people wondered if big creatures were in, but somebody found some darn big creatures:

https://youtu.be/6wJNThkdetI?t=4372

Honestly, the game fucking delivers. It's so good to play and even a long-ish period of boring planets/creatures is worth it when you get moments like this that fucking blow you away.

The brutal truth is that the game's near impossible to review or properly evaluate A) at all because there's so much chance involved and everyone's experience is so different and b) right now because the servers are down and things are wonky

Lothars

Exactly. These interviews aren't all ancient history.

I bought and am enjoying the hell out of this game right now (it's deeply flawed but I'm enjoying it) but I have no idea why so many people are desperate to give Murray a pass for this.

Can you imagine if this was an Ubisoft game? Would we really have 'two sides' to this? There's 'giving someone the benefit of the doubt' and then there's 'outright denial'.

It's crazy how toxic the word 'entitled' has become.

I've seen people state on here multiple times that you aren't 'entitled' to free games with PS+ despite the provision of said games being on all the PS+ advertising.

Protip: When you pay for something, you are entitled to that thing as described by the vendor. And demanding that thing be as described isn't 'being entitled' - you are, in fact, entitled to it.
Entitled hasn't become toxic, Entitled has it's uses maybe not in this exact case but It's definitely valid in most cases.

The benefit of the doubt deserves to be given until we have exactly what is happening, is it server issues? Is it not in the game at all? Is there other variables that we don't know about? Nobody knows the answers to those but If it's not in the game at all than absolutely people should be upset but I think the outrage in this thread is insane and overblown until it's answered.

Irminsul

No need to call someone out like that. Its obvious that a lot of people were convicned that this game had those features, you cant blame them.
Well, when the argument was Sean Murray made clear whether it's in the game or not, I don't think ClosingADoor did anything wrong.

By the way, did this thread see Sean's latest tweets?

The ones he's making during this hotfix crunch time, so he doesn't have time to comment on any of this controversy?

B4KsG1T.png

Zomba13

Just wondering, has gtabmx spoiled what is in the centre of the galaxy through unmarked spoilers? Because I didn't expect spoilers of the ending in this topic.

Entitled hasn't become toxic, Entitled has it's uses maybe not in this exact case but It's definitely valid in most cases.

The benefit of the doubt deserves to be given until we have exactly what is happening, is it server issues? Is it not in the game at all? Is there other variables that we don't know about? Nobody knows the answers to those but If it's not in the game at all than absolutely people should be upset but I think the outrage in this thread is insane and overblown until it's answered.

So you are saying that every time there is an issue we should just give the benefit of the doubt and not say anything until it's answered? Just sit back and keep giving the devs our money until they deem it necessary to fill us in?

Shari

No need to call someone out like that. Its obvious that a lot of people were convicned that this game had those features, you cant blame them.

He's been calling out people and denying everything consistently for the last 3 days going from "MP is there and servers are fucked" all the way over to "They never said there was MP in this game" with no shame whatsoever.

He's just a fanboy and deserves to be called out on his crap. Other users have been elegantly accepting the reality of things and dealing with it like everyone else, this guys continues to push forward no matter what. And he will continue make no mistake.

When you go to the second galaxy, its indicated that that galaxy is in the Hibert dimension. If they took time dilation and dimensions into account in this game (even inaccurately), and that fits into how players can see each other, all would be forgiven.

Wait what? By galaxy do you mean different systems or have you actually just spoiled the ending there? Or am I missing something?

Edit: thanks for spoiling the game! I wanna say something but it'll probably get me banned.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If people are able to tell each other where they are they can travel to that particular 'solar system' (i still find the skybox thing ridiculous). If you were not able to tell a friend where you are it would be pretty much impossible finding someone.

But it still is impossible to find someone

;)

Lothars

So you are saying that every time there is an issue we should just give the benefit of the doubt and not say anything until it's answered? Just sit back and keep giving the devs our money until they deem it necessary to fill us in?
No don't give them your money, I haven't and will eventually but I am saying that the outrage over not seeing any players is way overblown and we don't know if there's something else going on or if it's not in the game.

Zomba13

Wait what? By galaxy do you mean different systems or have you actually just spoiled the ending there? Or am I missing something?

Pretty sure he's spoilt the ending. A quick google had a No Man's Sky wiki artitle that mentioned that thing.

And before the PC version has even hit...

Griss

This is you within about 48 hours. So much clarity.

Holy shit I lol'd hard.

A total pivot from "there's MP" to "it's obvious there wasn't" - all the while insisting there was never any confusion.

If this is the standard of defence Sean is getting then he's in trouble...

Woah, I'm consistent.

Still says single-player everywhere.
No. You started with saying the servers were just down. Then you changed to the times being different, so they couldn't see each other. Then you switched to posting a video from that French website a dozen times, which still talked about multiplayer features that aren't in the game.

It's OK of course, all your opinions and they can chance. But it shows that there is no clarity at all for people and the developer should fix that.

He's been calling people out since the start of this thread, so I found the change in narrative interesting. It's all posts from the same thread and discussion, so I don't think it is bad to bring that up. It also points out that there is a lot of confusion, which is the reason for this whole thread.

No don't give them your money, I haven't and will eventually but I am saying that the outrage over not seeing any players is way overblown and we don't know if there's something else going on or if it's not in the game.

That's not the reason behind the complaints. The ire is because he won't answer the question.

Seiniyta

I hope he doubles down when he's like "Oh, I wasn't clear enough with my previous tweets so I'll clarify if you can physically see each other in the game:"

"Maybe"

*leaves twitter*

The outrage is because features that where marketed have so far been proven to be false and when we ask (a whole lot of "we") we get nothing. The consumers are the ones giving them money based on what was promised to them. They are the ones getting ritch on the misinformation.

Literally all of this could be cleared up so easily if they would just say something.

I hope Sean is getting actual support from Sony. Probably not good on the mental health side of things to pour yourself fully into something and end up with this shit show. While it all seems shady to me to not have an answer before the game launches on PC, I hope it's not because Sony told him he couldn't talk about it but because, behind the scenes, they have people working with him either on a fix or starting to hand off PR/media/social media handling.

Everyone still needs answers but hoping this isn't destroying a pretty cool human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom