• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then....maybe?

Let me rephrase, its DEFINITELY not possible at the moment. Whether or not thats because the developer lied and didnt actually create that part of the game or because the serves were down or some other technical issue remains to be seen.

The big commotion is...if its a technical issue why doesn't the developer say that instead of remaining uber vague.

Conezays

I'm actually quite enjoying my time so far with the game but their muddled messaging is definitely worth some criticism. If Nintendo had marketed New Super Mario Bros. U as having "online" people would've definitely complained when they bought the game only to find out miiverse functionality was its sole online functionality. The irony being thus far you can more concretely interact with fellow players in that game versus No Man's Sky :p

05e01438-5458-47bc-b60c-8b0b384b455b.gif

FTFY

If I were to give Sean Murray and Hello Games the biggest benefit of the doubt, I'd say they don't want to detail what is going on because they want meeting people in the game to be related to some sort of in-game surprise/event.

I think that's been abundantly clear from day one.

I'd wager that if he could, Sean Murray would have released this game with no explanations whatsoever.

Why do so many people think that anyone charging for goods they've created is automatically some cartoonish hand-wringing miser only concerned about money?

I think you just described Sony and their PR department. Any company for that matter. Hello Games signed up for this, so they deserve any flack they get. I don't like being lied to.

Server problems on day 1? Maybe...seems logical

But anyways, carry on.

What is your actual, official belief on the state of multiplayer and this game, laid out plain and simple?

Like let me just try to lay it out and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

- Sean said there was multiplayer in the past many times, despite it not being a focus
- "Multiplayer" in the context of this game means naming discoveries, and being able to see other players online, though this would be extremely rare
- No real interaction with others, just literally look at them, you can both move around and see the movements each other are making, you can't attack each other or chat or anything
- The box art lacking the online icon and saying 1 player and Steam saying 1 player are erroneous or otherwise simply downplaying the multiplayer since it's such a mild form of it
- The Wireshark packet scan showing no transmitted location data is erroneous because local instances are only spun up when two players get really close, so someone doing the test by themselves won't see anything
- The two players not being able to meet despite both being online at once are due to launch networking difficulties, and/or being in different real world locations, and/or not being in the same local instance
- In other words, in the future, maybe tomorrow for all we know, two people will actually see each other and move around near each other and see that movement and be like "whoa neat"
- Therefore Sean never lied, everything he said in the past is actually true, you never see what you look like until you see another real player etc. etc.

Is that about right?

Anyone else who can safely say this is their viewpoint?

Probably not. Even if we find out it's technically possible it's probably something you'll never experience.

True but the point is, the fact you may never ever experience doesn't mean that being able to see someone else is impossible. It's rare but can in fact happen. As in, you will stand next to someone else and look at them like you would in any other game...right? I think it is a pretty simple yes/no question.

Is this really true?

Yes as I was the electronic till machine

What is your actual, official belief on the state of multiplayer and this game, laid out plain and simple?

- Sean said there was multiplayer in the past many times, despite it not being a focus
- "Multiplayer" in the context of this game means naming discoveries, and being able to see other players online, though this would be extremely rare
- No real interaction with others, just literally look at them, you can both move around and see the movements each other are making, you can't attack each other or chat or anything
- The box art lacking the online icon and saying 1 player and Steam saying 1 player are erroneous or otherwise simply downplaying the multiplayer since it's such a mild form of it
- The Wireshark packet scan showing no transmitted location data is erroneous because local instances are only spun up when two players get really close, so someone doing the test by themselves won't see anything
- The two players not being able to meet despite both being online at once are due to launch networking difficulties, and/or being in different real world locations, and/or not being in the same local instance
- In other words, in the future, maybe tomorrow for all we know, two people will actually see each other and move around near each other and see that movement and be like "whoa neat"
- Therefore Sean never lied, everything he said in the past is actually true, you never see what you look like until you see another real player etc. etc.

Is that about right?

This post is too rational for this thread. You shouldn't be here.

I'm going to believe Hello Games and Sony didn't lie about this. Just another occurrence of the Mandela Effect. It's Berenstein Bears and No Man's Sky has some form of multiplayer.... just in a now parallel timeline/universe.

105.Will

Can humanity see anything at all though? Is our very own vision not just one big lie? We think we understand what we perceive, but is that really so?

Why are we hating so much on a game, simply for not being able to see others? I used to see my wife every single day. I thought I knew her. Her smile is still burned into my retina. I thought I would never have to miss that smile. But now I do.

My wife cheated on me with another man. Left me. I lost everything. I am now alone. I now see the true reality of our lives. The solitude. Knowing that, in the end, we'll always be on our own. It's sad, pathetic even. But it's a reality many of us will one day have to face.

I see nobody now, even though people are all around me. Besides me, even. Still, I do not see them. Even when they are right in front of me. However, this does not create hatred within me. On the contrary, I feel relieved. Like I am a new person, someone who is able to see the truth for once. I can see the weakness of humanity and it makes me stronger.

So no, I do not think two players meeting in No Man's Sky who are unable to "see" eachother is a bad thing. It's a reality many of us face each day. And I think it's cool a game as ambiguous as NMS has the guts to show that aspect of humanity.

Hideo Kojima presents DEATH STRANDING

Raven77

Do you go through life missing the point all the time or just today?

The enjoyment of the game or its quality are not in question here. We're talking about deceit.

Sure, if it is confirmed he lied. As of right now we have no idea, yet everyone is perfectly willing to crucify him before we even know the truth.

This post is too rational for this thread. You shouldn't be here.

I'm not saying that's how things are, I'm just tired of seeing all the little quips and barbs and snide comments that don't require laying it on the line in such a way that you could actually turn out wrong.

Make brief enough comments and you can spin anything you said. Too many people dodging around so they won't have to eat crow later.

shandy706

Is that about right?

Could have been in OP, wouldn't have mattered.

LOL X-D

I'll wait and see after launch and patches.

DataGhost

Is that about right?

There has been mention that you can grief other players.

IF the wireshark test is false, how would the servers know that two people are nearby? After all, location data isn't sent to create an instance. Please explain to me how it is possible to generate an instance for two players that are near each other when the data to know that an instance should be generated isn't available as you would need to know what their proximity is by comparing the two distances. PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW IT CAN BE DONE OTHERWISE.

Afrodium

Banned
True but the point is, the fact you may never ever experience doesn't mean that being able to see someone else is impossible. It's rare but can in fact happen. As in, you will stand next to someone else and look at them like you would in any other game...right? I think it is a pretty simple yes/no question.

We don't know. Communication pre-release from Hello Games says yes, but nobody has been able to replicate it.

Nafai1123

Banned
Let me rephrase, its DEFINITELY not possible at the moment. Whether or not thats because the developer lied and didnt actually create that part of the game or because the serves were down or some other technical issue remains to be seen.

The big commotion is...if its a technical issue why doesn't the developer say that instead of remaining uber vague.

I can think of a few reasons.

They're working on getting the PC release out ASAP
They've been vague about the game since the beginning so as not to reveal easter eggs/secrets
They've stated on twitter that server issues are a thing

The fact is, we don't know. I understand how that can be frustrating.

shandy706

IF the wireshark test is false, how would the servers know that two people are nearby? After all, location data isn't sent to create an instance. Please explain to me how it is possible to generate an instance for two players that are near each other when the data to know that an instance should be generated isn't available as you would need to know what their proximity is by comparing the two distances. PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW IT CAN BE DONE OTHERWISE.

A planned patch that adds the feature

Coming up with an answer to that is really easy, haha.

Seiniyta

What it could do is when 2 players discover a planet in very close proximity of each other and then spun up a lobby and put those two players together and try to sync it up without them noticing. That's one way to go about it.

artsi

This theory doesn't even make sense, if neither client is never sending location data, how will they ever know that they're close to each other?

I'm on your side, man. I think denying all of that stuff is really a big stretch at this point, but the people who really believe that need to say so in no uncertain terms.

Although TBH if they're supporting Sean so strongly with the kind of statements he's been making, they learned from the best.

DJ88

Then how do you explain his posts from today?

See Sean's own tweet:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270512277594112

Sean's idea of "finding" each other means they've found each other's planets and discoveries. They can see the things another player found and named. And that's what the game's "multiplayer" has always been. Seeing an avatar of another player isn't the only definition of multiplayer.

Has he ever confirmed you could physically see another player if you find them?

Is that about right?

Maybe.

Talonz

I feel they believed it would be rare and that is what would "buy them some time" till they get the functionality in game.

Otnopolit

Is that about right?

This all sounds like it could happen, though doesn't that seem so complicated to the point of improbability? Occam's Razor, right?

This is what we know:

Two players tried to meet in game at the same place and could not see each other.
Sean Murray goes on Twitter and says how incredible that is (leaving us to imply what he could mean, since at this point when a game has launched, it's a yes or no question, because it's either on the disk/been patched to happen or it has not.)

In my eyes, his version of "meeting somebody" is that in all the different planets and places you can visit in the game, it's incredible to be somewhere that somebody has been at the same time. And that sounds about it. I do think it's incredible to run into another player in a game as massive as this, but clearly this thread shows that Sean messed up the communication on this feature big time on what he meant by multiplayer, and it's left a lot of players upset.

It's up to the individual to determine if it was a misunderstanding or was cut content he wasn't transparent about.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Pretty much.

The game needs to send some location data at some point, it can't only start doing it if two people are "near" because it needs to know if people "get near" in the first place.

It's also pretty wild how many people are discovering planets other players have encountered on reddit. It's like the birthday problem. Either that or the game is much smaller than has been let on. Look forward to three days from now when some random power gamer has reached the centre of the universe.

Bedlam

Sean's idea of "finding" each other means they've found each other's planets and discoveries. They can see the things another player found and named. And that's what the game's "multiplayer" has always been. Seeing an avatar of another player isn't the only definition of multiplayer.

Has he ever confirmed you could physically see another player if you find them?
He said it during the Colbert interview.

Seiniyta

This all sounds like it could happen, though doesn't that seem so complicated to the point of improbability? Occam's Razor, right?

This what we know:

Two players tried to meet in game at the same place and could not see each other.
Sean Murray goes on Twitter and says how incredible that is (leaving us to imply what he could mean, since at this point when a game has launched, it's a yes or no question, because it's either on the disk/been patched to happen or it has not.)

In my eyes, his version of "meeting somebody" is that in all the different planets and places you can visit in the game, it's incredible to be somewhere that somebody has been. And that sounds about it. I do think it's incredible to run into another player in a game as massive as this, but clearly this thread shows that Shaun messed up the communication on this feature big time on what he meant by multiplayer, and it's left a lot of players upset.

It's up to the individual to determine if it was a misunderstanding or was cut content he wasn't transparent about.

He did mention actually seeing each other, knowing how yourself look like by seeing the other. So he did mention physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom