• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

Just, if your game doesn't have multiplayer then say "sorry, our game doesn't have multiplayer, we didn't code that in." And people will be like, "oh that's a little disappointing but thanks for being honest."

Oh to live in a world where this reality actually happens.

The reality would be more like, "AH HA! I KNEW IT!" "MOLYNEAUX!" "WHY CAN'T I RIDE DINOSAURS?!" or something else.

I haven't kept up with the development of the game over the years, but it's apparently broken some people on both sides. I'm half tempted to collect the most outrageous comments from both and make a new thread :D

vkris

Banned
I sure hope the nerds continue to make threads like this for other games moving forward. There are a whole lot of games in recent times that've done much worse than fail to your own overhyped desires. Still though, waiting for Sean's reply on the whole thing. Popcorn.gif and such.

How many people are interested in this topic? It seems like something that matters to people that do not care much about the game anyway.

It really feels like the Dumb and Dumber scene in which this girl tells Lloyd he has a chance in a million to be with her but then he finds that she's married and gets mad at her: "you said there was a chance!".

I've never seen a more fitting case to that scene than this.

This. If you bought the game for playing with people, you're a moron.
Those 4 trailers from last month show the 4 pillars of the game, all of which have 0 to do with MP and everything to do with exactly what theyve been saying the whole time.

BiggNife

Liking a game does not make it okay to lie about a game's features

I can't believe people are actually making this argument

NMS being good does not excuse the fact that Sean lied. Period. There's no "but" or "if."

Sean's idea of "finding" each other means they've found each other's planets and discoveries. They can see the things another player found and named. And that's what the game's "multiplayer" has always been. Seeing an avatar of another player isn't the only definition of multiplayer.

Has he ever confirmed you could physically see another player if you find them?

He did say the only way to know what your character looks like is if some other player finds you.

I always wonder how other developers in the studio feel about a situation like that... Has everyone there be briefed to just shut the fuck up? How hard is it for anyone in the studio to clarify this mess?

You just have to be honest and sincere with the people who just put 60 bucks on the table to play your game. All of Hello Games ignoring all their customers is just utterly insane to me.

Maybe the servers being screwed is Sony's fault and hello games cannot throw them under the bus?

Yes everyone else should "shut the fuck up". if you work for a company then you don't talk about company business, especially a really hot topic, unless you have express permission to do so and you know what you're meant to say. It's called being professional ;)

DJ88

From an interview Gameinformer did with Sean Murray in 2014:

GI: It will be so surreal to see another person walking around on a planet.
SM: We keep talking about Jack's dad from Lost, basically just to see them in the distance. Like, “Did I? What?”

GI:The player characters look different than anything else you'll see?
SM:Yeah.

GI: Will that be the first time you have any idea what you'd look like?
SM: Yeah.

GI: Do you have that model built out?
SM: Yes.

Ok, thank you for answering that.

It would be great to hear some sort of explanation or confirmation. But is it that far of a stretch for people to expect some things in a games development to change? I'm sure you can dig through years old interviews from developers of any game and find several things that don't make it in the end.

I'm not condoning not being honest or clear, but I really don't get how someone can be shocked that a thing mentioned in an interview 2 years ago isn't in the final game. If someone hinged their entire purchase decision on that, I don't know what to tell them.

If Sean had been touting it as a key feature and constantly used it as a selling point when asked what you could do in No Man's Sky, then the reactions I've been seeing would make some sense.

Kacho

qMmMena.gif

This would be even better if someone shopped Peter Molyneux's face on Guy Pearce.

The PC version is still 2 days away and the game is getting 50% scores with Mediocre reviews and there's all sorts of drama with not being able to actually see someone else in the game, not to mention people are meeting up with each other much sooner than Sean said we would.

I have gone from extreme hype for this game on Monday to possibly canceling my Pre-order and just waiting a few months to see if they patch it up with more features.

How could so much attention and hype have been given to a game that never really showed off much of anything except a math formula?

Sean was on late night TV shows for heaven's sakes!

Mojang didn't get on Late Night TV until AFTER Minecraft was already a hit game!

How did it come to this? Are we all just really desperate for a good space-exploration game that we're willing to let our guard down and accept mediocrity?

I am sad.

=(

I just want to be a part of this thread, mmm

I didn't follow every single interview but yeah, I was also under the impression that encountering others in real time was a thing, and it was an important part of the game experience. Even if it was as basic as the brief spirits in Souls or seeing another traveler in Journey. Wasn't there also a trailer with multiple ships flying around collecting things together, or am I misremembering?

The lack of answers even after the game has been released is bizarre and confusing, particularly for someone who was initially very interested in playing it.

The PC version is still 2 days away and the game is getting 50% scores with Mediocre reviews and there's all sorts of drama with not being able to actually see someone else in the game, not to mention people are meeting up with each other much sooner than Sean said we would.

I have gone from extreme hype for this game on Monday to possibly canceling my Pre-order and just waiting a few months to see if they patch it up with more features.

How could so much attention and hype have been given to a game that never really showed off much of anything except a math formula?

Mojang didn't get on Late Night TV until AFTER Minecraft was already a hit game!

How did it come to this? Are we all just really desperate for a good space-exploration game that we're willing to let our guard down and accept mediocrity?

I am sad.

=(

I think we just don't want to be lied to.

pompidu

This thread better be archived, cause when Sean eventually answers the question, this thread is gonna be in an even bigger mess than it is now.

aeolist

Banned

It would be great to hear some sort of explanation or confirmation. But is it that far of a stretch for people to expect some things in a games development to change? I'm sure you can dig through years old interviews from developers of any games and find several things that don't make it to the game.

I'm not condoning not being honest or clear, but I really don't get how someone can be shocked that a thing mentioned in an interview 2 years ago isn't in the final game. If someone hinged their entire purchase decision on that, I don't know what to tell them.

If Sean had been touting it as a key feature and constantly used it as a selling point when asked what you could do in No Man's Sky, then the reactions I've been seeing would make some sense.

sean has been deliberately vague even in tweets today. it's inexcusable to launch the game without clarifying this, and just laughably stupid to continue this ridiculous coyness now that people are picking his statements apart.

brau

I am sad.

=(

Its that quokka smile of his that makes him so trust worthy and camera friendly.

King_Moc

Banned
I just want to be a part of this thread, mmm

I didn't follow every single interview but yeah, I was also under the impression that encountering others in real time was a thing, and it was an important part of the game experience. Even if it was as basic as the brief spirits in Souls or seeing another traveler in Journey. Wasn't there also a trailer with multiple ships flying around collecting things together, or am I misremembering?

The lack of answers even after the game has been released is bizarre and confusing, particularly for someone who was initially very interested in playing it.

You're definitely misremembering.

Mikey Jr.

I am sad.

=(

Ewww, these are your reasons for not playing the game? Terrible.

Dr.Acula

Banned

It would be great to hear some sort of explanation or confirmation. But is it that far of a stretch for people to expect some things in a games development to change? I'm sure you can dig through years old interviews from developers of any game and find several things that don't make it in the end.

I'm still trying to find an interview where someone asks if you can see other players and he answers "no," as definitively as he answered "yes," two years ago.

All we've had is a "yes" answer, followed by two years of vague, non-answers. If there's no MP, just say so.

I am sad.

=(

FTL and Elite Dangerous were good.

I am sad.

=(
Are you going to be okay?

I don't think UncleSporky really believes those things; he's just trying to see exactly what people defending Sean believe the case to be.

Exactly. So that if/when it turns out there's no multiplayer, they can't say "oh well I knew what he meant when he was saying this, yeah it's clear he wasn't talking about ACTUAL multiplayer, I mean c'mon"

Dr.Acula

Banned
My dream scenario? There's a world event that's triggered by player action that explains the vague responses down the line. That would be incredible.

That could be something. Like they don't turn on the MP features until some kind of flag is triggered by the community.

It would explain why Hello Games hasn't given a yes/no answer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly. So that if/when it turns out there's no multiplayer, they can't say "oh well I knew what he meant when he was saying this, yeah it's clear he wasn't talking about ACTUAL multiplayer, I mean c'mon"

I thought it was already established and accepted it does not have 'multiplayer' (being such a broad term, everyone needs to explain what they mean by it)... but the point of this was to see how or why you can't see another player?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Someone has to get to the center of the galaxy first and flip on the "multiplayer" switch.

You know, I kinda want this to be a thing.

Would be so funny considering.

Did anyone ever consider only the people with the same flags can see each other?

BOOM

I stepped off my ship onto a new planet. I knew someone had been here because this planet already had a name.

It was a beautiful planet though. I spent hours there collecting and observing the wildlife.

As I sat there, just staring into nothing (or was it everything?), I thought I saw something off to the side of the screen, in the distance.

Was it another person? The first discoverer of this planet? A new friend?

I walked closer, hoping that I wouldn't scare them off. "I come in peace," I thought to myself with no way of informing them otherwise. The excitement was like nothing I've ever felt before.

But when I reached the spot, there was nothing. How had they got away? I was alone again.

Well, now I know they were never there because Sean is a liar. The planet's name was 'Duckshit', by the way. That's what this game is to me now.

Bedlam

I am sad.

=(
Well, there've been many warnings that this game was overhyped to high heaven, concerns about procedurally generated content etc. Many wouldn't listen and chose to continue imagining their own fantastic space game. The developers played around with these expectations, set many of them that now are not getting fulfilled and cultivated the misconceptions with intentionally vague information.

It's just this year's most prominent victim of videogame hype culture.

I stepped off my ship onto a new planet. I knew someone had been here because this planet already had a name.

It was a beautiful planet though. I spent hours there collecting and observing the wildlife.

As I sat there, just staring into nothing (or was it everything?), I thought I saw something off to the side of the screen, in the distance.

I walked closer, hoping that I wouldn't scare them off. "I come in peace," I thought to myself with no way of informing them otherwise. The excitement was like nothing I've ever felt before.

But when I reached the spot, there was nothing. How had they got away? I was alone again.

Well, now I know they were never there because Sean is a liar. The planet's name was 'Duckshit', by the way. That's what this game is to me now.
Inspiring.

Vex_

Banned

Is this pasta? Or OC?

Because that was beautiful.

qcf x2

LOL, wow.

flkraven

lol unbelievable. I love GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom