• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0de

NO!!! Because he LIED TO US!!!!!!111!!1 Where's the pitch forks?

What? It's totally fine to lie. People just need to play the game, it's really good. People who play it, wouldn't complain. Others have no right to do so. In the end, they delivered.

DataGhost

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The idea is that Player Y is at solar system '10,10,3' and Player X is at Solar System '10,10,4'. Both players discover a planet in their respective solar system.

It sends the discoveries to the server and the server is like "2 unique players discovering 2 unique solar systems in close proximity, spin up the lobby" And that's when it would start try to connect the two players (if both are online) and send location data for each player.

Now, IF that is the case it's definitely not working. (server overloading etc, bug etc). Of course it's also simply possible they haven't put any of this in, and hoped nobody would meet up (this soon). Or never planned to it. Then of course it's a straight up lie.

But, I'm giving Sean the benefit of the doubt for now. Though his messaging is unexcuseable vague as fuck.

Alright, but then that would mean that the players ARE sending location data after all. What I said is that we are assuming that the wireshark test is true and that players aren't sending location data to create instances. What I asked was how would this be possible without sending location data to the server?

brau

Yeah I think I found one...

Photo_Grid_1470855842431.jpg

LMAO!

this is avatar worthy.

FjAgWH2.png

DataGhost

Holy crap I think you are on to something. I mean he did say in that interview "You player looks like nothing else in the game."

"Looks like nothing else in the game"

"Looks like nothing else"

"Looks like nothing..."

Mystery solved.

#Seanneverlied

But there's a whole lot of nothing in space and barren planets.

#Seanbehonest

jax

Banned
We want people to be aware they are in a shared universe. We added online features, and some Easter Eggs to create cool moments. We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. [...]It is a testament to how amazing our network coders are that Discoveries are still working at all.
This quote heavily implies it's just server issues causing the issue. You PS4 users sure get salty quick, eh?

Alright, but then that would mean that the players ARE sending location data after all. What I said is that we are assuming that the wireshark test is true and that players aren't sending location data to create instances. What I asked was how would this be possible without sending location data to the server?

At the very least you have to tell the server the system you are in so that the server can send back any player-named planets etc that are in your vicinity.

Bio

but-why.gif

It is a single player game, mang. Go play something else. Let the rest of us single-player folks have this.
Multiplayer-begging should be the same as port-begging.

Not gonna like 90% of my interest in NMS vanished once I learned you can't actually run into other players

I know it was supposed to be super rare and unlikely but the fact that it was supposedly possible was so awesome seeming

DataGhost

At the very least you have to tell the server the system you are in so that the server can send back any player-named planets etc that are in your vicinity.

Not necessarily. It might just refresh the galactic map with the names. You don't really need to let the server know where you are when loading up player-named planets.

Though uploading your generated names should send location data.

Najaf

Not gonna like 90% of my interest in NMS vanished once I learned you can't actually run into other players

I know it was supposed to be super rare and unlikely but the fact that it was supposedly possible was so awesome seeming

I tend to agree. I also understand that Sean when stating that the chances of running into another player were close to zero, he was referring to accidental or unplanned encounters. In that case, yes, the odds would be unbelievably small.

But to not account for people planning to meet up, especially with how connected communities are between Reddit/Twitch/Twitter/GAF etc., I'm kind of stunned that they did not think people would intentionally seek each other out immediately.

Honestly, the idea of being in a RNG set of worlds with only a limited number of varying factors with wildlife, terrain and general look and feel, the thought of running into a player or ship under such small odds is one of the more intriguing aspects (or was).

The appeal of the game where 'You are forever alone and can never interact with other players or see how they have impacted the worlds you are exploring other than naming creatures and planets' loses a lot of its luster. Yes, it is not meant to be a multiplayer focused experience, but the idea that you will NEVER see ANYONE... EVER, all of sudden takes a lot of the wind out of the sails for me.

Does each planet have its own time? So whilst it may be 21:00 in real life for me and my buddy, Planet X is 10:00 for me and 14:00 for my buddy. Thus despite us being on Planet X at the same time in real life, it's not the same in-universe time, hence we do not see each other.

If I stay on Planet X until 14:00, then I'll see my buddy but won't be able to interact with him.

Is this how NMS works?

Bytes

Does each planet have its own time? So whilst it may be 21:00 in real life for me and my buddy, Planet X is 10:00 for me and 14:00 for my buddy. Thus despite us being on Planet X at the same time in real life, it's not the same in-universe time, hence we do not see each other.

If I stay on Planet X until 14:00, then I'll see my buddy but won't be able to interact with him.

Is this how NMS works?

The two Twitch players who were on the same planet were experiencing different times of day.

EDIT: I should also add that they both live in the Eastern Standard Time zone.

Gestault

It is a single player game, mang. Go play something else. Let the rest of us single-player folks have this.
Multiplayer-begging should be the same as port-begging.

The idea of exploring an alien landscape with friends sounds cool. Full stop. The idea came up and was responded to positively in interviews to promote the game. That wouldn't compromise the single-player experience; they're not mutually exclusive.

Is this how NMS works?

The fact that each player's game has its own different day/night cycle doesn't have anything to do with whether people can see each other.

Because you can pause the game completely. Animals freeze, AI ships freeze, the time of day freezes.

You could just pause until it's the same time of day as your friend, and even then you wouldn't see each other.

I tend to agree. I also understand that Sean when stating that the chances of running into another player were close to zero, he was referring to accidental or unplanned encounters. In that case, yes, the odds would be unbelievably small.

But to not account for people planning to meet up, especially with how connected communities are between Reddit/Twitch/Twitter/GAF etc., I'm kind of stunned that they did not think people would intentionally seek each other out immediately.

Honestly, the idea of being in a RNG set of worlds with only a limited number of varying factors with wildlife, terrain and general look and feel, the thought of running into a player or ship under such small odds is one of the more intriguing aspects (or was).

The appeal of the game where 'You are forever alone and can never interact with other players or see how they have impacted the worlds you are exploring other than naming creatures and planets' loses a lot of its luster. Yes, it is not meant to be a multiplayer focused experience, but the idea that you will NEVER see ANYONE... EVER, all of sudden takes a lot of the wind out of the sails for me.

I agree, and it was their mistake for being vague.

The idea of exploring an alien landscape with friends sounds cool. Full stop. The idea came up and was responded to positively in interviews to promote the game. That wouldn't compromise the single-player experience; they're not mutually exclusive.

Sure, they have games for that. This is not that game.

Sure it would compromise the experience. It's what, 14 guys? Anything they spend a single second on other than single-player compromises the experience for me.

The two Twitch players who were on the same planet were experiencing different times of day.

EDIT: I should also add that they both live in the Eastern Standard Time zone.

So they haven't been on the same planet at the same in-game time?

Sounds to me like this whole thing is by design, which makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom