• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Scar of the Doll |OT| $1 Horror Adventure (FOLKLORE Writer Hidehisa Miyashita) iOS

2yfyP.png

The year draws to a close as the last days of December go by.
Asumi Kamijo has lost all contact to her older sister, who goes to a graduate school in Tokyo.

Worried about her, Asumi travels alone to the capital to confirm her well-being.
But the lab she was assigned to and the apartment she lived in show no trace of her.
Asumi is at a loss as what to do. What happened to her sister?

Asumi is determined to find out, though she does not know the horrors that await her in the midst of uncovering the truth...

Download English version for iOS ($0.99)

/

I'm enjoying it so far, even though the translation is kind of ropey :/
It seems to be their first English release, so I only expect improvements with future patches and games.

Also, here's an interview with Miyashita. I wanted the OP as simplistic as possible, so I opted not to include flashy headers, links, videos or images. Nevertheless, it seems he will consider releases of his games on Steam (which I think will help promotion greatly – such games are a steal at $0.99).

It seems to be their first English release, so I only expect improvements with future patches and games.

Also, here's an interview with Miyashita. I wanted the OP as simplistic as possible, so I opted not to include flashy headers, links, videos or images. Nevertheless, it seems he will consider releases of his games on Steam (which I think will help promotion greatly – such games are a steal at $0.99).

Very interesting read! Certainly hope he follows through on the PC releases. Not enough of these games make it out of Japan :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
iOS?!?!

/WRISTS

Outdated attitude.

Without iOS... you are missing out on a large chunk of real, modern games.

Android or GTFO

Ideally I'd love this game to be on droid too.

But man... that's a game I wouldn't want to be playing: "Let's hope it comes to Android." It's like hoping that all PS2 games would come to OG Xbox. Nice thought... but most of them will never cross over.

If I had a droid phone... I'd get an iPod Touch just to be platform agnostic and not miss out on the lion's share of A+ mobile games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am going to edit the platform into the title. The next person who is in the thread just to remind us how much iOS sucks gets banned.

Luigi87

Dammit, and I just spent an extra dollar I had sitting in my Apple wallet.
... I suppose I could put down another $1.12 (after I pay tax).
Anyone know how long this is? (Not in relation to whether or not I purchase, just out of curiousity).

Dammit, and I just spent an extra dollar I had sitting in my Apple wallet.
... I suppose I could put down another $1.12 (after I pay tax).
Anyone know how long this is? (Not in relation to whether or not I purchase, just out of curiousity).

It says 4-6 hours in the app store description. I'm gonna start a playthrough, I hope the translation isn't overly clunky

bubnbob

Banned
Ah thank you. I was looking at the file size and at 59 MB I was a little weirded out that it didn't have a soundtrack. I'll pick it up anyway, it's only a buck after all.

59MB is pretty small for a game with music that isn't just one tune and some sound effects. Depending on what the Japanese PC version had music-less might be right. Chaos Rings added Japanese VA and tacked on upwards to 400MB of space, and Chrono Trigger itself is like 600MB of music.

59MB is pretty small for a game with music that isn't just one tune and some sound effects. Depending on what the Japanese PC version had music-less might be right. Chaos Rings added Japanese VA and tacked on upwards to 400MB of space, and Chrono Trigger itself is like 600MB of music.
Well, I can only say that the Japanese PC version uses MIDI.

Well, I can only say that the Japanese PC version uses MIDI.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. These games tend to use MIDI and from experience ROM dumps of some games in this genre such as Famicom Tantei Club II are really small. I just checked it out and it indeed does have MIDI music. The person who wrote that review likely had their ringer switch set to silent.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just completed the game. It's a decent and intriguing game, though the story can be somewhat cliche by today's standards. The game is 3-5 hours long. Also you have to keep multiple save files, better if you have a backup save at the start of every day.

My only complaint is the translation, it seems like they used Google translator and there were times various dialogue have been repeated (I remember there was this dialogue that was repeated for about 3 times, probably due to bad translation). If you can get past that, then you're in for a nice ride.

I honestly think that visual/sound novels are the best thing to happen to iOS (for me at least) and will check this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Omikaru

Will pick this up very soon. I'm hoping more games like this come to iOS, since these are the types of games I love playing on a portable system.

Kinda OT, but could anyone recommend some worthwhile ones?
Well, as far as I can tell, there are only three series of the Japanese style of visual/sound novels on the iOS: Kira Kara, Higurashi, and this one. I loved Higurashi, and would reccomend it fully.

Also, the first Pheonix Wright is on iOS. Not quite the same thing, but pretty close. The UI for the iOS is not good, but the DS game is all there. Great deal at 99 cents.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any recommendable mystery adventure games on iOS? I only know of this and Phoenix Wright (more of crime solving).

SmokyDave

Any recommendable mystery adventure games on iOS? I only know of this and Phoenix Wright (more of crime solving).

I really enjoyed Cause Of Death but I think you'd need to IAP all the episodes now. They were free on a weekly basis whilst the game was 'current'.

Manhattan Requiem: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/manhattan-requiem/id399354708?mt=8

It's part of the JB Harold Murder Club series. It's actually the second game and the only one on the Appstore that's in English. The first game came to the US on the Turbo CD. It's been years since I've played that but I remember enjoying it. Haven't played Requiem yet because I want to replay the Turbo CD game as a refresher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.B._Harold_Murder_Club

wrowa

I guess I have saved myself to death.

I'm at the hospital room and no matter what I do, I die.
Going outside of the room? Dead. Taking a rest? Dead.
I'm not quite sure if I'm missing something or have done something wrong somewhere...

Top Bottom