• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Splinter Cell remake is underway at Ubisoft Toronto

Kurotri

A few concepts:

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-2.jpg
Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art.jpg
Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-3.jpg
Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-4.jpg

Gotta say I love this. I think that gaming companies should be way more transparent and talkative in general, so when you have projects like these, even if you are just showing concept art despite not having a playable game yet, is appreciated and much better than announcing something and then to go radio silent for years. The thing they did for Assassin's Creed and CDPR outlining their Witcher and Cyberpunk release schedules are things the industry needs more. Just my view tho of course.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Spies vs Mercs (especially on Chaos Theory) was so much fun. One of the first online games I ever played back on the PS2.
Yeah Chaos Theory perfected the template from Pandora Tomorrow.

Nostalgic memories of the early days of Xbox Live. Between this and Rainbow Six 3, me and friends had a lot of good times.

DONT FUCK THIS UP UBI

... they probably will tho.

DaGwaphics

Excited for this one. Even though I'm generally on here dragging the remakes, but hey, I think this one was old enough to get one.

Please just have gameplay as good as the original.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
One of those people that was all in on metal gear solid, always had interest in splinter cell I’m told it’s good.

chigstoke

They've been taking for fking ever on this. Remake or new game, just give me a trailer. Jesus.
Didn't it only enter pre-production/very early stages of development last year though? Seems a short space of time to have a trailer out for the remake.
Unless you're referring to this supposed North game above, then who knows how long that's been in development for, well hidden secret?

Arachnid

Didn't it only enter pre-production/very early stages of development last year though? Seems a short space of time to have a trailer out for the remake.
Unless you're referring to this supposed North game above, then who knows how long that's been in development for, well hidden secret?
The remake was initially announced Dec 2021, and they've been in radio silence ever since. The VR game was announced with a poster in 2020, but we haven't heard anything about that since either.

Now we're getting a potential announcement on a new game, when we haven't even had info on the prior two announcements in forever. Idk, maybe I'm impatient. Just getting tired of publishers telling us about games we don't get for years.

EDMIX

The remake was initially announced Dec 2021, and they've been in radio silence ever since. The VR game was announced with a poster in 2020, but we haven't heard anything about that since either.

Now we're getting a potential announcement on a new game, when we haven't even had info on the prior two announcements in forever. Idk, maybe I'm impatient. Just getting tired of publishers telling us about games we don't get for years.

No.

I think its wise to announce it, say nothing until its near done.

We literally have people in another thread bitching about how The Division and Watchdogs was revealed vs released.....

The Division 2 and Watchdogs 2 and 3 get shown closer to release and now its a problem cause Ubisoft ONLY wants to show when its near final?

Wasn't that literally what people were arguing about when that whole thing even happened with The Division 1 and Watchdogs 1? I think the way they are doing it is quite fine. Give a teaser with a pic and don't say shit until they have a release window and its a solid thing. I want to know about it too man, I want to see what they are working on, I can even forgive how it looks like knowing its still early...

Do you think the rest of the people who love bashing this publisher will see it this way? So...maybe this is for the best and I think most publishers should do this.

EDMIX

Michael Ironside or bust... have they said anything about using him?

I'm ok with him, I'm ok without him.

Doesn't matter to me lol

I never cared for the story of this series, its always been shitty to me. I enjoy the gameplay foremost. They could do something where Ironside is in the game, but as the new commander you hear over the intercom or something. I'd rather use get a new agent as Splinter Cells are interchangeable anyway

I'm ok with him, I'm ok without him.

Doesn't matter to me lol

I never cared for the story of this series, its always been shitty to me. I enjoy the gameplay foremost. They could do something where Ironside is in the game, but as the new commander you hear over the intercom or something. I'd rather use get a new agent as Splinter Cells are interchangeable anyway
True, but his voice is so unique and ironic for his character. Surprisingly, I wouldn't mind what you said about a new voice, but still have Ironisde in a key role. Ubi has still used his voice plenty anyway so there's a relationship there obviously.

EDMIX

True, but his voice is so unique and ironic for his character. Surprisingly, I wouldn't mind what you said about a new voice, but still have Ironisde in a key role. Ubi has still used his voice plenty anyway so there's a relationship there obviously.

True, but I want the team to move on, they need to feel they are making something unique and have the artistic freedom to not feel they need to hold back such choices based on how iconic it those ideas are. I love that God Of War 2018 didn't feel the need to do that and I feel maybe thats what this reboot needs.

Nothing held back, nothing done for the sake of being iconic or legacy or anything of the sort.

I think it would still be cool to have him as the person that is guiding the new Splinter Cell or something, but not that its a make it or break it type thing. Splinter Cell needs to be able to stand on the core concept of the game and not merely from 1 character or something. I think people will simply use it to keep comparing it to the other titles instead of letting it live on as a continuation to the IP.

Arachnid

No.

I think its wise to announce it, say nothing until its near done.

We literally have people in another thread bitching about how The Division and Watchdogs was revealed vs released.....

The Division 2 and Watchdogs 2 and 3 get shown closer to release and now its a problem cause Ubisoft ONLY wants to show when its near final?

Wasn't that literally what people were arguing about when that whole thing even happened with The Division 1 and Watchdogs 1? I think the way they are doing it is quite fine. Give a teaser with a pic and don't say shit until they have a release window and its a solid thing. I want to know about it too man, I want to see what they are working on, I can even forgive how it looks like knowing its still early...

Do you think the rest of the people who love bashing this publisher will see it this way? So...maybe this is for the best and I think most publishers should do this.
I agree that it's the second best case scenario, but best case IMO is just announcing it and putting out info half a year before release max. The wait sucks.

Sybrix

A remake would be great.

Again, being Ubisoft, let's get the truck of salt ready, however a remake of Splinter Cell would be epic.

I know Spy Vs Merc wasn't in the first one but how amazing would it be if that was brought back! Can see Ubisoft being allover that being that's the only element of this remake they could monitize.

Last edited:
Ah man, this is the one time I'm hoping Ubisoft's greed gets the better of them. I don't care if they only add it as a way of recurring monetisation, we need that shit!!!
I vividly remember singing Secret Agent Man during those sessions and whispering naughty things in the Mercs ears..

It was somethinh special. Mercs in 1st person, spies in 3rd was a winning formula. GOD I miss it!
Wasnt it introduced in Pandora Tomorrow? Either that or Chaos Theory but I refuse to Google it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Jackpot. Was reading the first page thinking this was news, turns out it was 4 years ago and this is right around the corner.Yay.

Good start to the day.

lockdown2222

Neo Member
I hope michael ironside returns as the voice of Sam
Me too. Or just use his original recordings. But for me it’s a must to include him. He had so much input on who Sam Fisher the character became as we know it today. He really defined the character.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Me too. Or just use his original recordings. But for me it’s a must to include him. He had so much input on who Sam Fisher the character became as we know it today. He really defined the character.
I dread to think what they would do to a modern Sam Fisher.
I'd like to think Micheal Ironside wouldn't have none of it but as he describes Star Ship Troopers as a right-wing fascist take on what happens if the Communists take over the world.
I'd think he would be fine with what ever they do.

Roufianos

I vividly remember singing Secret Agent Man during those sessions and whispering naughty things in the Mercs ears..

It was somethinh special. Mercs in 1st person, spies in 3rd was a winning formula. GOD I miss it!
Wasnt it introduced in Pandora Tomorrow? Either that or Chaos Theory but I refuse to Google it.

God knows, I remember I rented one of the PS2 games, but Chaos Theory in the early 360 days was my jam. Especially the map that sort of looked like docks. Blacklist was pretty decent too.

Ah man, they just don't do MP like that anymore.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
God knows, I remember I rented one of the PS2 games, but Chaos Theory in the early 360 days was my jam. Especially the map that sort of looked like docks. Blacklist was pretty decent too.

Ah man, they just don't do MP like that anymore.

They were supposedly making a Spies vs Mercs Battle Royale a while ago but it got cancelled because there is no God.

IAmRei

Why i am being pesimistic with this... :/ But oh well, just wait and see, not a day one for sure, wait and see

Top Bottom