• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A TV show called Loose Women made a Poll: Is It Ever A Woman's Fault If She Is Raped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
loose-women-rape-tweet.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/01/itv-loose-women-poll-rape
ITV has issued an apology after a backlash over an online poll for its Loose Women programme, which asked whether women were ever to blame for being raped.

Results of the poll, carried out in light of comments by the Pretenders singer Chrissie Hynde last week, were overwhelmingly negative but the fact the question was even asked sparked anger.

One volunteer for a charity that supports rape survivors said the poll had already led to clients contacting her with concerns and warned it could stop others from coming forward to report crimes against them. Rape Crisis called the poll “ill-considered, insensitive and insulting” and said responsibility for rape always lay with the perpetrator.

The poll was published online before a panel discussion about Hynde’s remarks on the daytime programme. Hynde had told the Sunday Times magazine that when she was 21 a motorcycle gang member promised to take her to a party but instead took her to an empty house where she was assaulted.

But, she added, she took “full responsibility” for what happened, and she went on to say that women who dress provocatively while walking down the street drunk were also to blame if they were attacked. “If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be?” she said.

In light of Hynde’s comments, the Loose Women poll asked: “Is it ever a woman’s fault if she is raped?” An overwhelming 87.85% of respondents said no.

Katie Russell, the national spokeswoman for Rape Crisis England & Wales, called the poll completely inappropriate and said her organisation was disappointed that the ITV show could think otherwise “even for a moment”.

“Legally, not to mention morally, rape is always 100% the responsibility of its perpetrator and no one else,” she said in an emailed statement, adding that self-blame and shame were a major reason for many victims not reporting attacks to police.

“A programme like Loose Women could choose to use its high profile to raise awareness and understanding of rape, its impacts and prevalence, and to support and encourage survivors to seek services like those Rape Crisis offers,” she added. “Instead, they’ve reinforced myths and stereotypes with this ill-considered, insensitive and insulting poll.

Ofcom, the broadcast regulator, said it had received more than a dozen complaints in the three hours after the poll was published online. “We will assess these complaints before deciding whether to investigate or not,” a spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for ITV’s Loose Women apologised for a misjudgment in the way the poll had been worded. The spokesperson said: “Loose Women is a daily talk show centred around topical debate and this discussion, linked to a recent news story, involved a full and frank range of views from the panellists.

“We always want to know what our viewers think about topical issues, however, we accept that the wording of the online poll was misjudged and we apologise for any offence caused.”

For our international posters, Loose Women is the UK version of The View.

Busty

Banned
In light of Hynde’s comments, the Loose Women poll asked: “Is it ever a woman’s fault if she is raped?” An overwhelming 87.85% of respondents said no.

Given the largely female demographic that presumably watches the show I'd say that 87 percent seems surprisingly low to me. I'd have thought it would be the high nineties easily.

Alos, 'lol' ITV.

Clearly it's never their "fault" because no one ever deserves it. There are things people can do to reduce their chance being victims of crimes and that extends way beyond rape. Like watching your drink at all times in a bar, etc.

Branduil

Ironically, they created the one situation where Loose Women actually were asking for it.

By "it" I mean "a well-deserved backlash," obviously.

Weiss

Banned
If at any point in time you believe the onus of not being raped is on women, please stick your head in a blender.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
"Well, I wasn't going to rape you but they just did a study that said you kinda deserve it, so really I'm doing this for you. Not to you. You're welcome."

"she went on to say that women who dress provocatively while walking down the street drunk were also to blame if they were attacked. “If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be?” she said.

I don't even know what to say . Between that, the poll itself, and 87.85%, I just feel depressed.

Zaptruder

Banned
Clearly it's never their "fault" because no one ever deserves it. There are things people can do to reduce their chance being victims of crimes and that extends way beyond rape. Like watching your drink at all times in a bar, etc.

Pretty much this.

I mean, they shouldn't have to be cautious and guarded... but really they should be.

The worst thing about rape though is that most of it comes from people with which the victim shares some degree of trust - so the notion that there's some fault if they don't keep their guard up is basically bullshit to ameliorate some of the guilt of rapists.

Like, why are you trying to ameliorate that guilt?

GamerJM

Banned
Given the largely female demographic that presumably watches the show I'd say that 87 percent seems surprisingly low to me. I'd have thought it would be the high nineties easily.

Alos, 'lol' ITV.

I'm actually curious how unanimous an internet poll with a large voterbase has been/can be. I've been following GameFAQs' daily polls for like almost a decade now, and I can't recall a time a poll has ever been more unanimous than the top option being in the range of like 85%-93%. I feel like there's always going to be a large portion of devil's advocate voters who pick the less popular option for whatever reason.

Granted, keeping all of this in mind, it still seems weird, because the answer to this question should pretty obviously be "no," to any sane human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom