• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

Circinus

Don't know if Sony's embarrassing handling of the Vita is part of the companies philosophy or the consequence of being virtually bankrupt.

Embarassing handling of the Vita? Wow, I think they handled it really well. They get a lot of credit from me for the PS Vita that they wouldn't get from me otherwise. They definitely handled it better than the PS4 imo, like I've already said (except in terms of marketing).

Despite of that the Vita could gave some Renaissance or at least have much better sales if Sony would support it still.
More first-party SCE games or not, it would have little impact I think. During launch/launch window and during its first year as a whole where it had many first-party games, PS Vita sales weren't very high either.

I'm just going to quote one of my previous posts as well:

I believe there was simply no chance of the PS Vita moving hardware to the same degree as PS4's popularity. The mainstream market's interest in dedicated handhelds had just declined and a big portion of that market is likely satisfied with mobile games on smartphones/tablets.

The PSP's decline in popularity 2010/2011 was already a sign of this, with the mobile phone/tablet market growing exponentially in comparison.

I think the PSP was mainly succesful because of the brand. It was released around the peak of the PS2 popularity, where the PlayStation brand was ubiquitous and therefore very strong. I don't think it was succesful of God of War, Gran Turismo.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta sold significantly less than God of War: Chains of Olympus.

The PS Vita had a great game from a well-known IP as a launch game. It had a larger first-party launch line-up than the Wii U, 3DS, PS4 and Xbox One. It was very well received as well and had high satisfaction rate.

So it's safe to say that if it wasn't a big success at that point, that there probably just isn't that much demand for such a device from the mainstream market. Maybe it could have been a bit more popular with a more optimized, fine-tuned advertising strategy and games release schedule. But it was definitely never going to be a PS4- or 3DS-tier success. The market for it just not there. And that's fine. People who like playing games on handhelds are grateful for it. It can still cover that niche and ultimately satisfy its audience. Maybe not so good for SCE (business point of view). But for me, it's almost like a fan service kind of device.

The memory cards - while SD cards would obviously have been more convenient - are completely insignificant. There just isn't a big market that wants a dedicated, seperate device anymore to play games, especially games that don't have mass-market appeal. The 3DS manages to survive because of those mass-market appeal games. Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs. SCE simply doesn't have those kind of IP's.

Anyway, I think I'm done with arguing here. I think my points are clear by now. :)

VLiberty

Any of the other systems has comparable games but they have more of this and more games overall. The vita is not a little "arthouse" cinema but only a small cinema.

Despite of that the Vita could gave some Renaissance or at least have much better sales if Sony would support it still. Don't know if Sony's embarrassing handling of the Vita is part of the companies philosophy or the consequence of being virtually bankrupt.
PS4 and One? Sure.
Wii u and 3ds? I don't think so.

I agree circuinus. The market for a "premium" handheld is evidently not that big. I always thought that the memory cards were a non issue. Vita + memory card + ps+ =an outstanding value proposition.

No plans? No hate? What are you talking about?

Sony, more precisely SCEA and Yoshida, planned to kill Vita since the beginning, there were LOTS of great games that could have been showed in each e3, but Sony decided to do differently on purpose since its first e3 few months after the Vita's launch, when everything could have been solved with the right amount of right efforts.

Who will ever forget that Sony showed wonderbook for 30 minutes while giving only a pair of minutes for Vita? Who sane of mind would push wonderbook(an accessory used by a pair of games) more than Vita(a console) if interested on pushing Vita?

And what about saying that Sony will not support Vita with games? How do you call that? Even if you plan to do that you don't say that, unless you want to decrease the faith in the console.

Despite all of that and a lot more Vita is still getting many games from third parties and love from people who have it.

People that love Sony and the PS4 and/or hate Vita should open their eyes and know the facts before saying that Vita is dead, Vita may not have big sales or getting big games but it's strong and kicking Sony.

Smart business decision?

Btw, Sony didn't plan to "kill" PSV to begin with; there has been some missmanagement, but the company decide to abandon the platform when it realized that the market had completely rejected it. Remember how PSV was selling during the first year? Sony also tried to push the system in Japan with a revision, price-cut, some interesting games and the result was a weekly average of 10-15k units at most.

Poop!

Smart business decision?

Btw, Sony didn't plan to "kill" PSV to begin with; there has been some missmanagement, but the company decide to abandon the platform when it realized that the market had completely rejected it. Remember how PSV was selling during the first year? Sony also tried to push the system in Japan with a revision, price-cut, some interesting games and the result was a weekly average of 10-15k units at most.

But the E3 where Wonderbook > Vita was in the first few months of release.

Last update makes Remote Play an actual selling point, I'd say. Seems redundant to support both PS4 and Vita platforms now.

I'm half expecting a new model that adds more/better function, not necessarily a new software platform. Vita software was always a niche platform, and it continues to do just fine at that.

Add triggers and PS2 support, and I'll buy it a third time.

But the E3 where Wonderbook > Vita was in the first few months of release.

This didn't show that Sony was thinking to kill the PSV right away. It just shows that Sony was thinkinh Wonderbook might have needed more space in a fair dedicated to retailers and people working in the industry (PSV was already launched, after all). Also, for example, Nintendo dedicated a very tiny space to 3DS during E3 2013, but this didn't mean they were going to abandon the platform.

Smart business decision?

Not really, they stopped developing games for it as soon as last year, only 2 years after launch. I'm pretty sure they didn't greenlight any games after launch. You just have to look at what Sony Bend went through before being forced to shift to the PS4.

Bumhead

Banned
It's a fabulous system to own without providing anywhere near enough reasons to do so.

A lot of people who own the system seem to really like it, and with justification. It's a fantastic piece of dedicated gaming hardware with a huge library of software available (even if your mileage will admittedly vary on the PS1, PSP and Indie catalogues).

Sales wise however the writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. It baffles me how or why people think there's any chance of a sales comeback.

I'd like to see a third revision with an R2/L2 though, before Sony can support for it entirely.

Kuni

I don't think so sadly. Such a good handheld but alas history has shown there's no big comeback.

Saying that I just bought a PS TV here in UK thanks to the price cut (firesale?) and look forward to playing the few exclusives it has on me tv.

Circinus

I don't think so sadly. Such a good handheld but alas history has shown there's no big comeback.

Saying that I just bought a PS TV here in UK thanks to the price cut (firesale?) and look forward to playing the few exclusives it has on me tv.

You aware of the fact that many of those first-party (exclusive) games aren't compatible with the PS TV?

Anyway, enjoy it. :)

Omikaru

Maybe at launch but but vita games drop price like normal and actually go on sale unlike most (non eshop only), 3DS games.

I got P4G for like £15 less than a year after it was out, good luck finding even remotely the same for Fire emblem awakening.

I totally agree with you -- 3DS games hold their price for longer and the thought of paying full RRP for a game older than a month is just not attractive to me -- but I actually grabbed Fire Emblem Awakening late last year for £18.

A friend of mine saw my vita and asked if it was a psp. I told him it was the vita. He said "the what?" I told him it was the new psp. He was like "ohhh theres a psp 2, thats awesome"

Just wanted to share that anecdote. And no, it's silly to think there's any chance at this console selling well. Still love it tho!

Not really, they stopped developing games for it as soon as last year, only 2 years after launch. I'm pretty sure they didn't greenlight any games after launch. You just have to look at what Sony Bend went through before being forced to shift to the PS4.

Sony published a lot of third party games though, such as the hit Minecraft, and Borderlands 2.

But oh, PSV started selling like crap soon after the launch, so that'd be the smartest business decision. I don't see any "hate" involved.

Jawmuncher

A friend of mine saw my vita and asked if it was a psp. I told him it was the vita. He said "the what?" I told him it was the new psp. He was like "ohhh theres a psp 2, thats awesome"

Just wanted to share that anecdote. And no, it's silly to think there's any chance at this console selling well. Still love it tho!

The name change was always a weird thing. The PSP did just fine and was a perfect name.
Never understood why they felt they needed to change it to vita.

As long as the majority of games coming out are Japanese, most people in the west will not care. I don't. The last game I bought for the Vita was Killzone Mercenary.

Unless we get more games like Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted Golden Abyss I don't see how the Vita will be reVitalized in the west.

I was sold on the promise of a portable PS3. I expected more games like UCGA and KZM.

Sony published a lot of third party games though, such as the hit Minecraft, and Borderlands 2.

But oh, PSV started selling like crap soon after the launch, so that'd be the smartest business decision. I don't see any "hate" involved.

I personally think they should have tried at least a bit more, seems like they didn't even tried to make games to could make it sell. There's a big difference between the way they handled the dissapointing early sales of the PS3 and the way they handled the Vita.

Poop!

This didn't show that Sony was thinking to kill the PSV right away. It just shows that Sony was thinkinh Wonderbook might have needed more space in a fair dedicated to retailers and people working in the industry (PSV was already launched, after all). Also, for example, Nintendo dedicated a very tiny space to 3DS during E3 2013, but this didn't mean they were going to abandon the platform.

Was that before or after the drastic early 3DS price cut? If Nintendo did that before the price cut then it makes sense that it was the wrong decision.

18-Volt

Smart business decision?

I don't think market "rejected" the system. People don't reject platforms, they just don't buy it when there are no games for it. Same thing happened Dreamcast, PSP, PS3 and 3DS. Nintendo pushed the system by spamming quality first party titles.

What Sony did wrong was not realizing that their 1st party stuff worth shit. They're not like Nintendo. Killzone, LBP, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, they're not system seller stuff. GTA, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter those are where money's at. People bought PSP's for GTA Vice City Stories and Crisis Core, not for Syphon Filter or Wild Arms XF. They needed to use the funds for pursuing 3rd party instead of using it themselves.

Although it was a wrong move, I admit Tearaway was one hell of a game.

Poop!

I don't think market "rejected" the system. People don't reject platforms, they just don't buy it when there are no games for it. Same thing happened Dreamcast, PSP, PS3 and 3DS. Nintendo pushed the system by spamming quality first party titles.

What Sony did wrong was not realizing that their 1st party stuff worth shit. They're not like Nintendo. Killzone, LBP, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, they're not system seller stuff. GTA, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter those are where money's at. People bought PSP's for GTA Vice City Stories and Crisis Core, not for Syphon Filter or Wild Arms XF. They needed to use the funds for pursuing 3rd party instead of using it themselves.

There was that and their top teams like Naughty Dog publicly snubbing the system.

winjet81

On one hand, Sony started digging the grave for Vita very soon after its release (and soon after Capcom decided to move the MH handheld franchise to Nintendo) by pulling the plug on in-house software development. On the other hand, PSNow ensures that Vita no longer has a true EOL.

It'll be interesting to see how long Sony continues to manufacture, sell and support the machine, since it doesn't require any sort of hardware refresh again.

my PSPGO has 16 gb built in, tv-out options without buying another device, and i can bluetooth a dualshock 3 to the system. i've yet to downgrade myself to a Vita but Craigslist prices are starting to hit ~$100 so i guess Sony will get me in the end

sörine

Banned
Nintendo's 3DS games stay locked at €40 for a very long time.

Heck, New Super Mario Bros. (DS) still costs €30 here lol.

Don't get me wrong, it might make business sense for Nintendo if those games keep selling well for a long time at high prices. But for me as a consumer, sometimes it's just not a good value proposition.

The prices for games in the PSN Store on PS Vita are generally way less expensive than in the 3DS eShop. I'm sure that if I would spend €100 right now I could buy like 7-10 good games in the PSN Store and 3 or 4 in the Nintendo eShop. On the long-term PS Vita is less expensive because of the lower game prices. The sales on PSN are much better as well.
It probably varies by region but 3DS games price drop just as quickly as Vita in the US. If you're just looking at 1st party tentpoles like Mario or low print run titles like Fire Emblem then yeah they tend to stay fullpriced longer but there's a hell of a lot more to the 3DS library than that. For $100 you could get a ton of stuff.

PSN does do better sales than eShop, although some publishers are pretty regularly good with deals on the latter (Capcom, Atlus, Natsume, etc). I'd say the issue with sales is more on Nintendo themselves being to hesitant on their retail own games. If you just distill the 3DS library to "Nintendo games" then I could see how you might feel that way, but it's really doing a disservice to the 3DS library.

Maybe at launch but but vita games drop price like normal and actually go on sale unlike most (non eshop only), 3DS games.

I got P4G for like £15 less than a year after it was out, good luck finding even remotely the same for Fire emblem awakening.
Why cherrypick Fire Emblem when you could get SMTIV for $15 new less than a year after launch? Atlus 3DS games are basically always on sale in the eShop too.

SteveWD40

I wish it were so but probably not. They had a great opportunity with Minecraft to do some marketing / a bundle but decided not to bother. I am now sceptical about RE:R2 and Hand of Fate (both hit the other platforms they were confirmed for already).

Novocaine

And yet the ps4 has sold 20 million units. And because of those sales the ps4 has a future. The vita does not.

The market has shifted and Sony didn't give a shit enough to adjust when it comes to the vita. They don't even know what to do with it.

Thanks for your expert armchair analysis, any more insight?

You all keep saying the Vita is dead and every year it keeps going and getting new great releases. I'm so tired of this fucking hyperbole.

Lombax

Banned
I honestly think we are heading into it.

Bloodborne remote play (not great but its there)
Galak-Z
Axiom Verge
Salt and Sanctuary
Edit: Forgot about Darkest Dunegon

Parshias7

You all keep saying the Vita is dead and every year it keeps going and getting new great releases. I'm so tired of this fucking hyperbole.

Yes, because claiming that the Vita is dead must mean that is has sold literally zero units! I can just imagine the state of Vita threads years from now:

The Vita is dead.
No way, didn't you see this month's NPD? The Vita sold one unit! One, not zero! VITA MEANS LIFE!

Sony announces they will discontinue the system.
No way, I went down to my local Gamestop and they still had a Vita in stock! It can't be discontinued if there's at least one out on a store shelf somewhere!

No one wants to put games out on Vita.
Don't speak lightly of Betty Boop Bop, you heathen.

Yesterday I was out shopping at stopped by Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. There was not a single new Vita game on the shelves at all three stores. Not a single one. Tbarget had no systems as well.

I'd call that dead. Indie games will still trickle in, but the system is dead in the West.

Was that before or after the drastic early 3DS price cut? If Nintendo did that before the price cut then it makes sense that it was the wrong decision.

In fact, it was both before the price cut (E3 2012) and after the price cut (E3 2013). In both occasions, Nintendo didn't give much time to 3DS games, though 2012 was a bit better with respect to 2013 (but they also promoted some DS left-overs).

When I wrote that PSV was rejected by the market I was indeed referring to the case where the platform is not bought by people, and this whether it has games on it, or not.

sörine;158099293 said:
Why cherrypick Fire Emblem when you could get SMTIV for $15 new less than a year after launch? Atlus 3DS games are basically always on sale in the eShop too.

SMTIV is also currently at € 9,99 in the eShop.

I totally agree with you -- 3DS games hold their price for longer and the thought of paying full RRP for a game older than a month is just not attractive to me -- but I actually grabbed Fire Emblem Awakening late last year for £18.

I'm mad jelly, where from?

I love the Vita and it's my most played system by far since it launched.
But I'm in no way delusional to think that there's a chance for some sort of renaissance.

While it certainly isn't dead as some uninformed/disingenuous people may say as new games continue to be released on a weekly basis, it certainly isn't selling like gangbusters.

There are a lot of reasons why the Vita didn't succeed in the same way as the PSP. A shrinking dedicated handheld market surely is one of the most important reasons but surely it's not the only one. It could be in a much better situation if it wasn't the apathy from Sony.

Surely they released some great first-party games that, while they clearly weren't going to turn the tide, at least could use a little marketing (with some exceptions in Europe). Instead these games were sent to die.

The moment they don't even bother to properly update the PSN store which is one of the main venues for revenue in the platform speaks for itself. It's even more baffling when we consider we're talking about a company that's been struggling for profitability for years and should be maximizing its revenue streams.

Let's not even go to the wasted potential of PlayStation TV...

So OP, no. No renaissance. Unless they actually decide on a clear strategy for it or we get some lightning in a box type hit like Monster Hunter.

VLiberty

Third party games drop fast on 3Ds, that's true. eshop also got very good with sales.
The main problem on 3DS - just like every other N system - come from the first party games.Their prices are crazy in the long run, and since first party games are a good chunk of the interesting games on 3DS you can see where people are coming from.

allan-bh

No chance, but Vita is healthy enough for some japanese games. For people who like this type of titles is an interesting machine.

Novocaine

Yes, because claiming that the Vita is dead must mean that is has sold literally zero units! I can just imagine the state of Vita threads years from now:

The Vita is dead.
No way, didn't you see this month's NPD? The Vita sold one unit! One, not zero! VITA MEANS LIFE!

No way, I went down to my local Gamestop and they still had a Vita in stock! It can't be discontinued if there's at least one out on a store shelf somewhere!

Thanks for reinforcing my point about hyperbole.

Joco84

Neo Member
Personally I love my Vita and has become my main source for gaming. I am having a blast through Persona 4 and have the likes of Uncharted, Danganronpa, God of War 1&2, Killzone and MGS 2&3 to play through (to name a few!).

I wish the system got a bit more love, but I've got enough games on the system to get through at the moment.

It is dead, dude. Don't be delussional. That's like saying the Dreamcast is still alive because someone recently released a game for it.

I own a vita, and this is the same talk I heard from people when it came to the Saturn and the Dreamcast. The writing is on the wall, you guys are just acting like you can't read.

The Vita is dead.

^ This guy gets it.

Omikaru

I'm mad jelly, where from?

Correction, it was £19. Still, got it from Amazon. I assume they were price matching someone.

4JvSPaf.png

The Vita is already great as it is IMO. The depth of the library is really amazing, there's something for everyone if you really look into it and if you're not bothered by playing on handheld. Maybe not enough if you only play a certain type of games (It's really lacking in WRPG and FPS) but if you have a wide range of taste it's a handheld you should look into. But a renaissance is highly unlikely, Sony and more precisely Yoshida (at least that's what I think) dropped the system way to quickly, so we're left with indies and japanese games for the foreseeable future, not that's a bad thing.

Sure, even though that's utterly false. It's not like you care anyway.

Seriously, considering one of the best (and one of my all time favorites) was made by an indie and is arguably best on the system-- Hotline Miami :)
I've made peace and am happy with were the system is at. I still carry the fucker around EVERYWHERE (^_____^)

Shinriji

It is dead, dude. Don't be delussional. That's like saying the Dreamcast is still alive because someone recently released a game for it.

I own a vita, and this is the same talk I heard from people when it came to the Saturn and the Dreamcast. The writing is on the wall, you guys are just acting like you can't read.

Terrible comparsion. Vita has currently more sales and games than both consoles, and the vita stilll have two more years at least before Sony pulls the plug. I wished that my dreamcast and saturn had the same support that the vita currently have, 3 years after its launch.

No chance, but Vita is healthy enough for some japanese games. For people who like this type of titles is an interesting machine.

I agree. I'm content with the Vita as it is honestly.

I don't think it's going to have any more growth in mainstream popularity, but for indies and Japanese games it's still a lovable little device.

Sony created the dream handheld for the hardcore fans, which was a huge risk given the decline of the PSP (in the west). They pushed it hard in marketing, gathering positive reactions from fans and media. They then threw everything but the kitchen sink (read: Gran Turismo) and nothing would stick, nothing. Meanwhile, losing Monster Hunter did the damage in Japan. Faced with the prospect of spending more resources on a handheld showing no signs of attracting a wider audience, they needed a plan B.

They mobilized an indie movement in the west, bringing in content at a rapid pace. Meanwhile, they courted smaller publishers in Japan to provide what they can. This built the niece install base for the system which has since sparked further interest in the system, keeping it alive with a steady flow of indies, Japanese games, cross-buys and ports.

Saying Sony never tried is unfair. Anyone can argue they made mistakes, but if the key mistake was making the Vita as it is, then it's a mistake I'm glad they made. Oh, and yes, I hate the memory card pricing but that's NOT why it failed, let's be realistic here.

Well said :)

Yep, it's ironic that the best PlayStation system of all time is also the worse selling one.

At least compared to the PS4, PS Vita has:

– Backwards compatibility with digital PSP/PS1 games, your digital licenses can carry over; no need to buy "remasters".

– PS1 Classics compatibility

– A sleek, snappy and customizeable interface

– Great first-party games with great, innovative gameplay (Gravity Rush, Tearaway. @Eurogamer, you know "next-gen gameplay” :p)

– Plays music, video and photo media files, unlike PS4

– Portability

– Friends notifications

– Free online multiplayer

– A messaging system that works

– DLNA support (Network Media Player app)

And it had the best launch line-up among all new-generation systems of course.

My man

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I will buy a Vita when:

All PS3/PSN games are fully playable. I would definitely own one. This thing needs to be the "PSN" machine - I mean everything is fully supported.

Top Bottom