• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sure, and I'm personally fine with things continuing as they are. But my point is that the Vita is far from dead.

I suppose "dead" is not really a good term. Well maybe it is regarding for its sales but yeah, maybe not for its games.

Too bad we will never get stuff like Killzone Mercenary for it ever again. It feels like the games available for Vita right now barely able to scratch the machine's potential :/

Nanashrew

Banned
Those games wouldn't sell the PS Vita to the mainstream market. Those games are associated primarily with console gaming. I believe there was simply no chance of the PS Vita moving hardware to the same degree as PS4's popularity. The mainstream market's interest in dedicated handhelds had just declined and a big portion of that market is likely satisfied with mobile games on smartphones/tablets.

The PSP's decline in popularity 2010/2011 was already a sign of this, with the mobile phone/tablet market growing exponentially in comparison.

I think the PSP was mainly succesful because of the brand. It was released around the peak of the PS2 popularity, where the PlayStation brand was ubiquitous and therefore very strong. I don't think it was succesful of God of War, Gran Turismo.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta sold significantly less than God of War: Chains of Olympus.

The PS Vita had a great game from a well-known IP as a launch game. It had a larger first-party launch line-up than the Wii U, 3DS, PS4 and Xbox One. It was very well received as well and had high satisfaction rate.

So it's safe to say that if it wasn't a big success at that point, that there probably just isn't that much demand for such a device from the mainstream market.

To be honest, both the 3DS and Vita didn't really have much of compelling software early on. What made me choose a 3DS over a Vita was what Nintendo was willing to do and how much they pushed the hardware to sell. They continued to support it even if it wasn't doing too well but I knew that if I purchased it I wouldn't regret it. I felt more confident in buying one because I knew that Nintendo would support it to the very end. Meanwhile Sony hasn't done much of anything with it. they stopped and gave up really early on to focus more and more on their consoles. I had no confidence in Sony to pick up the slack, and I still don't now. If Sony made another handheld I would definitely not purchase it.

So for me, the Vita is dead because Sony seems to want nothing to do with it. PSP was pretty alright though, lots of appealing games, lots of non-ecchi JRPGs I loved and appealed to me.

Circinus

I suppose "dead" is not really a good term. Well maybe it is regarding for its sales but yeah, maybe not for its games.

Too bad we will never get stuff like Killzone Mercenary for it ever again. It feels like the games available for Vita right now barely able to scratch the machine's potential :/

It is indeed not a good term. Its meaning, within the context of video game systems, is not unanimously defined. It isn't unambiguously defined. Some people use it to refer to the possibility that said console (e.g. PS Vita) isn't being stocked in large quantities by retailers anymore. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't getting any new games anymore. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't selling many units anymore and is in low demand. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't worth anyone's money or time anymore.

It seems often just used as a derogatory term to refer to the possibility that it's a system that isn't in high demand.

Like I said in a previous post, a less disparaging and more specific term than 'dead' could be 'not economically viable/profitable for a large amount of game developers/publishers' or 'selling less than 100K units per month' or something.

18-Volt

The way I see it, Vita has less competition now as Nintendo making mobile games instead of 3DS games. So that's good news to Vita I think.

You guys expecting Nintendo to make proper, traditional games for mobile are gonna be so disappointed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is indeed not a good term. Its meaning, within the context of video game systems, is not unanimously defined. It isn't unambiguously defined. Some people use it to refer to the possibility that said console (e.g. PS Vita) isn't being stocked in large quantities by retailers anymore. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't getting any new games anymore. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't selling many units anymore and is in low demand. Some people use the term to refer to the possibility that the system isn't worth anyone's money or time anymore.

It seems often just used as a derogatory term to refer to the possibility that isn't a system in high demand.

Like I said in a previous post, a less disparaging and more specific term than 'dead' could be 'not economically viable/profitable for a large amount of game developers/publishers' or 'selling less than 100K units per month' or something.

Well, we ain't gonna see another game like Killzone Mercenary, or heck even Oreshika, again for it, that's for sure.

No.

PSV is basically dead outside Japan, in terms of hw and sw sales. In Japan it found its niche, but still, hw and sw sales are pretty low. For reference, GC sold way more sw, and it was deemed as a commercial failure over there.

Circinus

To be honest, both the 3DS and Vita didn't really have much of compelling software early on. What made me choose a 3DS over a Vita was what Nintendo was willing to do and how much they pushed the hardware to sell. They continued to support it even if it wasn't doing too well but I knew that if I purchased it I wouldn't regret it. I felt more confident in buying one because I knew that Nintendo would support it to the very end. Meanwhile Sony hasn't done much of anything with it. they stopped and gave up really early on to focus more and more on their consoles. I had no confidence in Sony to pick up the slack, and I still don't now. If Sony made another handheld I would definitely not purchase it.

So for me, the Vita is dead because Sony seems to want nothing to do with it. PSP was pretty alright though, lots of appealing games, lots of non-ecchi JRPGs I loved and appealed to me.

To each their own. What you describe isn't something that applies for me at all. (I place more value on the quality of the device itself, not so much about the "marketing support" which has no direct relevance for me. Not to say the 3DS isn't a good handheld, but I just prefer the PS Vita. Just more comfortable, more ergonomic, better quality display and hardware, the UI is more multi-functional and more snappy. Just a better experience all around in my humble opinion. €150-€200 (3DS price) for a device with a garbage 400x240 display with expensive games (€30-40 per game) just isn't a good value proposition in the present-day in my humble opinion)

But again, different strokes, different folks. Totally understandable if you have different desires. :)

It's good that we still have two handhelds this generation regardless. Probably the last generation with this kind of competition and with a handheld as commercially succesful as the 3DS.

FGMPR

Banned
No chance. Sony won't even update the PSN store on the vita itself to reflect the web store. So, things like the recent Toukiden demo, along with Castlevania PSP don't appear to be available to buy, when in fact they are (this is the Australian PSN, btw).

If Sony aren't willing to commit to even the simplest of tasks, the ends of which makes them money, then its pretty clear where the Vita stands for them. It was left to die and has been hanging on to life in spite of them, not because of them.

I am very disappointed in the way Sony have handled things.

Nanashrew

Banned
To each their own. What you describe isn't something that applies for me at all. (I place more value on the quality of the device itself, not so much about the "marketing support" which has no direct relevance for me. Not to say the 3DS isn't a good handheld, but I just prefer the PS Vita. Just more comfortable, more ergonomic, better quality display and hardware, the UI is more multi-functional and more snappy. Just a better experience all around in my humble opinion. €150-€200 (3DS price) for a device with a garbage 400x240 display with expensive games (€30-40 per game) just isn't a good value proposition in the present-day in my humble opinion)

But again, different strokes, different folks. Totally understandable if you have different desires. :)

It's good that we still have two handhelds this generation regardless. Probably the last generation with this kind of competition and with a handheld as commercially succesful as the 3DS.

I actually wonder how next gen will fair. It's so weird thinking about one handheld next gen, and could mark the first time that Nintendo will have a monopoly in the dedicated handheld market.

Circinus

No chance. Sony won't even update the PSN store on the vita itself to reflect the web store. So, things like the recent Toukiden demo, along with Castlevania PSP don't appear to be available to buy, when in fact they are (this is the Australian PSN, btw).

If Sony aren't willing to commit to even the simplest of tasks, the ends of which makes them money, then its pretty clear where the Vita stands for them. It was left to die and has been hanging on to life in spite of them, not because of them.

I am very disappointed in the way Sony have handled things.

To each their own.

I'm very happy with the way SCE has handled the PS Vita. They did a much better job with it than with the PS4.

– Backwards compatibility with digital PSP/PS1 games, your digital licenses can carry over; no need to buy "remasters".

– PS1 Classics compatibility

– A sleek, snappy and customizeable interface

– Great first-party games with great, innovative gameplay (Gravity Rush, Tearaway. @Eurogamer, you know "next-gen gameplay” ;) )

– Plays music, video and photo media files, unlike PS4

– Portability

– Friends notifications

– Free online multiplayer

– A messaging system that works

– DLNA support (Network Media Player app)

– Well-organized PSN Store

Also the term "remaster" should really be dropped imo. Remasters are ports that improve a little bit on the technical aspects of the original version. That's it. The term "remaster" is a bit misleading and probably easily to be confused with remakes for some people.

Anything is possible though the odds of this happening is highly unlikely.

If Sony was smart they would release a Vita 3000 that has all the same features as the 2000 model except it replaces the Vita Memory Card support for SD cards and has an HDMI Out with a price in the $150-$180 range.

This would definitely get Vita's off the shelves.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Perhaps its time to move on and stop wishing for a miracle. Just enjoy whatever there's on the vita and face the reality.

Acosta

It´s as good as it's going to get.

The good news is that the console is nurtured by Japanese games and that it´s not going to change anytime soon, so we can expect some years more of continued support. That's good enough for me.

A renaissance will not happen at this point. Sony itself has moved on. As it is, retailers don't carry very many vita related items anymore. It will probably still get Japanese and indie support for a couple more years, but likely not much beyond that.

Still, as evidence by many posts in this thread, I think most of us who are currently pleased with the vita will continue to be happy with it until it is finally done.

aznpxdd

I love my Vita, but Sony doesn't really deserve success with their stubborn decision of fucking consumers over with ridiculous memory card pricing.

El_Cinefilo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

The Vita Isn't dead, in fact there's probably more games coming out for it that I'm interested in than any other format (don't play on PC) It's just doing it's own thing and selling reasonable amounts of software. It's the little arthouse cinema to PS4, Xbox and DS's big multiplexes.

It'll never have the renaissance in to a big selling console though. It didn't do it when it had triple A games support and It didn't do it when it got PS4 remote play. I don't see any other big changes they could make to it to make it a big seller (I'd love them to drop the ridiculous price of memory cards but I don't think that's stopping many people buy one).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If by renaissance you mean Vita to be a success, sadly no, but unlike what many people here want to think Vita is still strong and loved by gamers, japanese and indie developers, despite the hate from Sony, how can you call dead a system that keep getting games and survives despite the lack of real interest and support from who made it?

it's neither dead in absolute nor dead everywhere except Japan, in fact the many localizations confirm that outside Japan Vita is a viable platform, exactly like all the indie developers think.

Sadly it will be near impossible to see a big western game without a help from Sony, but Sony is the first one to hate Vita(since the beginning and not just because it has low sales, remember how SCEA NEVER made a good show at e3).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Personally would prefer to have less games like killzone.

Well, I see the vita fans are still fucking delusional when it comes to the health of the system of what I needs in order to attract developers and to be successful.

And I say that as an owner of two Vitas. It's a great system but not even Sony wants to support it. It's as dead as the last guardian.

Poop!

The memory card money grab always kept me away from the system. I think in about 5-10 years I may grab one on the cheap with all the best games and give it a whirl but no rush now.

Circinus

Well, I see the vita fans are still fucking delusional when it comes to the health of the system of what I needs in order to attract developers and to be successful.

And I say that as an owner of two Vitas. It's a great system but not even Sony wants to support it. It's as dead as the last guardian.

Except for the author of the OP, I'm not really seeing the alleged delusion among many posters / PS Vita fans here.

It doesn't even need that much first-party games to me, since its catalog is already well-saturated with a wide catalog of games including a decent amount of first-party games. Though occasionally one can never hurt of course. That's my humble opinion.

Unlike with PS4, SCE did a great job with the first-party games on PS Vita.

The way I see it, Vita has less competition now as Nintendo making mobile games instead of 3DS games. So that's good news to Vita I think.

Nintendo is still going to make 3DS games, it's the most profitable section of their current business. Their mobile games will probably things like Pokemon shuffle, and Puzzle and Dragons Mario Mix.

Circinus

The memory card money grab always kept me away from the system. I think in about 5-10 years I may grab one on the cheap with all the best games and give it a whirl but no rush now.

And yet even taking the pricey memory cards into account, it's still the new generation system that offers the best value imo. That says a lot about how good it is.

Imo with PC + PS Vita and maybe Wii U you're pretty much covered for an extremely wide range of games. Both for on the go and stationary. Of course GAF will tell me that the PS4 is better because of.. 20 million sales.

Except for the author of the OP, I'm not really seeing the alleged delusion among many posters / PS Vita fans here.

It doesn't even need that much first-party games to me, since its catalog is already well-saturated with first-party games. Though occasionally one can never hurt of course. That's my humble opinion.

Unlike with PS4, SCE did a great job with the first-party games on PS Vita.

And yet the ps4 has sold 20 million units. And because of those sales the ps4 has a future. The vita does not.

The market has shifted and Sony didn't give a shit enough to adjust when it comes to the vita. They don't even know what to do with it.

I feel like vita interest is at an all time low. Not only was it on life support sense it launched, but it launched 3 years ago. It has literally 0 mainstream appeal outside of Japan and even the indie gems on it are drying up.

Poop!

And yet even taking the pricey memory cards into account, it's still the new generation system that offers the best value imo. That says a lot about how good it is.

Imo with PC + PS Vita and maybe Wii U you're pretty much covered for an extremely wide range of games. Both for on the go and stationary. Of course GAF will tell me that the PS4 is better because of.. 20 million sales.

I am PC getting a WiiU and I'm fine. I don't care about Japanese made games for the most part so a PS4 isn't on my horizon as it doesn't really have much to offer me.

But for the Vita memory cards, it's more of a matter of principal. They launched and required proprietary cards to even boot some games. After the whole blow back from the 360 Harddrives, it just seem short sighted and an obvious money grab. It turned me off right from the start and they never got me back. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression sometimes.

Circinus

And yet the ps4 has sold 20 million units. And because of those sales the ps4 has a future. The vita does not.

The market has shifted and Sony didn't give a shit enough to adjust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

And yet the PS Vita is still much more appealing to me than the PS4.

Even taking into account that it won't have as much new upcoming games as PS4, the portability and ease of use, compatibility with PSP/PS1, current catalog of games make it a more interesting value proposition for consumers with similar desires as me.

Different consumers will have different desires. Yes PS4 has more mainstream appeal. That doesn't render the PS Vita useless for every consumer out there.

Also there is nothing to adjust with PS Vita to make it more appealing to the mass-market. Except maybe taking over the Pokémon IP and making a Pokémon game for it. But that IP isn't up for sale.

If by renaissance you mean Vita to be a success, sadly no, but unlike what many people here want to think Vita is still strong and loved by gamers, japanese and indie developers, despite the hate from Sony, how can you call dead a system that keep getting games and survives despite the lack of real interest and support from who made it?

it's neither dead in absolute nor dead everywhere except Japan, in fact the many localizations confirm that outside Japan Vita is a viable platform, exactly like all the indie developers think.

Sadly it will be near impossible to see a big western game without a help from Sony, but Sony is the first one to hate Vita(since the beginning and not just because it has low sales, remember how SCEA NEVER made a good show at e3).

Do you know company cannot hate, right?

Omikaru

Vita isn't going to set the world on fire. As a vita owner, the best I can hope for is that smaller Japanese studios and indies keep supporting it.

Yeah, a stream of AAA games would be neat, but that ship has sailed. Just enjoy it for what it is and hope Sony don't discontinue it. Considering they are still doing firmware updates and running PS Store sales for the thing, I expect they will see Vita through to the end of life for PS4 and just not make another handheld afterwards. That's fine by me at this point.

I'm a Nintendo console fan, but the 3DS left a bad taste in my mouth due to its crappy screens and resolution as well as the usual Nintendo region locking and lack of a unified account.

Ditto, and I say this as a huge fan of the DS.

As disappointing as the Vita was, I still have way way more games for it than my 3DS.

As disappointing as the Vita was compare to my lovely PSP, it doesn't even come close to how disappointing the 3DS is compared to the god class DS.

Circinus

I am PC getting a WiiU and I'm fine. I don't care about Japanese made games for the most part so a PS4 isn't on my horizon as it doesn't really have much to offer me.

But for the Vita memory cards, it's more of a matter of principal. They launched and required proprietary cards to even boot some games. After the whole blow back from the 360 Harddrives, it just seem short sighted and an obvious money grab. It turned me off right from the start and they never got me back. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression sometimes.

Fair enough. I consider it definitely worth it, because it isn't like there's a good alternative handheld for the PS Vita that offers an as good handheld gaming experience (sorry 3DS but your display is garbage, your ergonomics are dated and your games are too expensive for me).

I'd recommend the PS Vita as a first choice to anyone looking for a good handheld to play a wide variety of games during commute or for general-purpose portability and ease of access.

Utterly impossible. And while it's nice that games for it are still being developed in Japan, I just wish there was more diversity beyond visual novels and RPGs with (a certain type of) anime-inspired art direction. I love niche and weird Japanese games (and even RPGs), but it's not delivering on that front for me. (Or maybe none of it is being localized.)

Fair enough. I consider it definitely worth it, because it isn't like there's a good alternative handheld for the PS Vita that offers an as good handheld gaming experience (sorry 3DS but your display is garbage, your ergonomics are dated and your games are too expensive for me).

I'd recommend the PS Vita as a first choice to anyone looking for a good handheld to play a wide variety of games during commute or for general-purpose portability and ease of access.

Eh, different stroke yada, I take advice on a case by case basis. I own a vita and all it does is gather dust, but my 3DS goes with me everywhere. The 3DS has a huge amount of games for a wider audience imo. As far as the vita goes I've never actually finished a game on the thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

And yet the PS Vita is still much more appealing to me than the PS4.

Even taking into account that it won't have as much new upcoming games as PS4, the portability and ease of use, compatibility with PSP/PS1, current catalog of games make it a more interesting value proposition for consumers with similar desires as me.

Different consumers will have different desires. Yes PS4 has more mainstream appeal. That doesn't render the PS Vita useless for every consumer out there.

Also there is nothing to adjust with PS Vita to make it more appealing to the mass-market. Except maybe taking over the Pokémon IP and making a Pokémon game for it. But that IP isn't up for sale.

In regards to your link, that's kind of irreverent when it comes to sales. If a console sells poorly not will not attract it maintain interest with developers. If the install base is low the chances developers can make their money back and turn a profit is slim. So in this instance, sales=success as far as the longevity if the platform. People not buying it means it's not successful. If the platform isn't successful then developers will not make games for it and the cycle spirals down until the system dies.

Sony has shown that just appealing to consumers like you doesn't mean anything as it relates to sales. There aren't enough of people like you. Saying "well this is a great system for me" and comparing it to the ps4 is crazy too. The vita is a system that is searching for a market. It found niche appeal but that isn't enough because there aren't enough people like you out there to make it a success.

I remember and article that came out about a year after the vita launched and a Sony executive basically said "we built this thing and just assumed people would want to make games for it." THAT is the core problem with the vita. That's also why the ps4 is successful and vita isn't if we take a look at your examples when it comes to things like features. The features don't matter much when the system has a ton of games that people want to play. The vita does not. You couple that with absurd memory card prices and it's not hard to see why the Vita is in the state it's in.

Sony didn't have a plan when they made the system. Thats why every e3 that goes by Vita diehards are like "it'll happen at GDC! It'll happen at PAX! It'll happen at the Tokyo game show" yet every time we don't get anything.

The PS4 was very specifically designed and it's marketing strategy reflects that. It's sales reflect that.

Also, another thing that I feel I have to stress again is the memory card pricing. I want a 64 gig card but cannot stomach paying almost 100 bucks for one. That's LUNACY. If I had a bigger card I would buy more games. Sony pulling what they did with memory card pricing is a big reason I think the system did not take off. A memory card is even needed to boot some games. Those games also have patches and installs. So right out of the box you can't really do shit without buying a memory card. It's a really stupid thing to have done and the only reasons Sony doesn't drop the price is they're greedy and they know they have consumers like you who will forgive them for it. As another poster mentioned, you only get one chance as a first impression and based on sales it's obvious people got a bad impression of the Vita. Nintendo is learning this lesson right now with the Wii U. Despite having stellar games it's still selling poorly.

Circinus

Eh, different stroke yada, I take advice on a case by case basis. I own a vita and all it does is gather dust, but my 3DS goes with me everywhere. The 3DS has a huge amount of games for a wider audience imo. As far as the vita goes I've never actually finished a game in the thing.

Different strokes then indeed. Good to take advice on a case by case basis.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Boss★Moogle;157986181 said:
If Sony could get the price down to $149 (and get the memory cards down to reasonable prices too) and if the system got one high profile exclusive like a new Tales game or Monster Hunter 5 I think there could be a total rebirth of the Vita and it could easily go on for another 4-5 years alongside the PS4, getting lots of quality software along the way.

There's a lot of (very improbable) IFs.
There's been plenty of even better deals along the way, didn't help.

So, am I totally delusional or could the Vita get a second chance at stardom?

Ah-ehm...

Circinus

Sony has shown that just appealing to consumers like you doesn't mean anything as it relates to sales. There aren't enough of people like you. Saying "well this is a great system for me" and comparing it to the ps4 is crazy too. The vita is a system that is searching for a market. It found niche appeal but that isn't enough because there aren't enough people like you out there to make it a success.
I know. I wasn't arguing against that.

I remember and article that came out about a year after the vita launched and a Sony executive basically said "we built this thing and just assumed people would want to make games for it." THAT is the core problem with the vita. That's also why the ps4 is successful and vita isn't if we take a look at your examples when it comes to things like features. The features don't matter much when the system has a ton of games that people want to play. The vita does not. You couple that with absurd memory card prices and it's not hard to see why the Vita is in the state it's in.

Sony didn't have a plan when they made the system. Thats why every e3 that goes by Vita diehards are like "it'll happen at GDC! It'll happen at PAX! It'll happen at the Tokyo game show" yet every time we don't get anything.

The PS4 was very specifically designed and it's marketing strategy reflects that. It's sales reflect that.

Also, another thing that I feel I have to stress again is the memory card pricing. I want a 64 gig card but cannot stomach paying almost 100 bucks for one. That's LUNACY. If I had a bigger card I would buy more games. Sony pulling what they did with memory card pricing is a big reason I think the system did not take off. A memory card is even needed to boot some games. Those games also have patches and installs. So right out of the box you can't really do shit without buying a memory card. It's a really stupid thing to have done and the only reasons Sony doesn't drop the price is they're greedy and they know they have consumers like you who will forgive them for it. As another poster mentioned, you only get one chance as a first impression and based on sales it's obvious people got a bad impression of the Vita.

I'm not too concerned about the business side of things (that's SCE's concern, not mine; I am a satisfied PS Vita consumer), but I do think the strategy could have been better.

Proprietary memory cards or not, I don't think that would have changed much.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do you know company cannot hate, right?

No plans? No hate? What are you talking about?

Sony, more precisely SCEA and Yoshida, planned to kill Vita since the beginning, there were LOTS of great games that could have been showed in each e3, but Sony decided to do differently on purpose since its first e3 few months after the Vita's launch, when everything could have been solved with the right amount of right efforts.

Who will ever forget that Sony showed wonderbook for 30 minutes while giving only a pair of minutes for Vita? Who sane of mind would push wonderbook(an accessory used by a pair of games) more than Vita(a console) if interested on pushing Vita?

And what about saying that Sony will not support Vita with games? How do you call that? Even if you plan to do that you don't say that, unless you want to decrease the faith in the console.

Despite all of that and a lot more Vita is still getting many games from third parties and love from people who have it.

People that love Sony and the PS4 and/or hate Vita should open their eyes and know the facts before saying that Vita is dead, Vita may not have big sales or getting big games but it's strong and kicking Sony.

Circinus

sörine;158092888 said:
You keep saying this but in general 3DS games are the same price as Vita games. From $49.99 to 99¢. Or free to play even.

Nintendo's 3DS games stay locked at €40 for a very long time.

Heck, New Super Mario Bros. (DS) still costs €30 here lol.

Don't get me wrong, it might make business sense for Nintendo if those games keep selling well for a long time at high prices. But for me as a consumer, sometimes it's just not a good value proposition.

The prices for games in the PSN Store on PS Vita are generally way less expensive than in the 3DS eShop. I'm sure that if I would spend €100 right now I could buy like 7-10 good games in the PSN Store and 3 or 4 in the Nintendo eShop. On the long-term PS Vita is less expensive because of the lower game prices. The sales on PSN are much better as well.

sörine;158092888 said:
You keep saying this but in general 3DS games are the same price as Vita games. From $49.99 to 99¢. Or free to play even.

A lot of people play PS+ games and take whatever they can get. But yeah vita and 3DS games are the same price.

sörine;158092888 said:

Maybe at launch but but vita games drop price like normal and actually go on sale unlike most (non eshop only), 3DS games.

I got P4G for like £15 less than a year after it was out, good luck finding even remotely the same for Fire emblem awakening.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

The Vita Isn't dead, in fact there's probably more games coming out for it that I'm interested in than any other format (don't play on PC) It's just doing it's own thing and selling reasonable amounts of software. It's the little arthouse cinema to PS4, Xbox and DS's big multiplexes.

Any of the other systems has comparable games but they have more of this and more games overall. The vita is not a little "arthouse" cinema but only a small cinema.

Despite of that the Vita could gave some Renaissance or at least have much better sales if Sony would support it still. Don't know if Sony's embarrassing handling of the Vita is part of the companies philosophy or the consequence of being virtually bankrupt.

Malice215

The Vita would be in much better shape if not for Sony's blundering of the platform. I'm not expecting any type of renaissance because Sony still treats it as an afterthought and there's not much of a presence for the Vita at retail, but it is what it is at the point.

Even so, the Vita is by far my favorite platform to play games on and has more games that interest me than the 3DS. Plus I can't bring a console with me on my lunch break, so the Vita really comes in handy.

If the Vita interests you and you are in the market for a handheld, pick one up.

Top Bottom