• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Vita Renaissance: Is It Possible?

It means we are saying its dead not in a literally meaning in the sense that it has been discontinued or selling 0 copy, but more of a metaphorical way in how everyone except the vita fans has moved on and its fate already sealed.

I would agree with that if that was what was said but most are talking about it from a game perspective, which is where I disagree.

Internal memory is disabled when you use a card.

Thanks, very helpful. So I just Vita >>>> PS3 the games I loaded up and then PS3 >>>> Vita when I put the memory card in?

I think I'll likely do 5 GB faves, 3 GB "rotating" quick plays, 4GB Big Game I'm playing atm, 4GB to sample PS+ latest.

TxK, Limbo and Velocity Ultra were the highlights...all really shine on Vita and benefit from getting up close and personal. Spelunky will just take some getting used to after I learned to play with on a TV with a controller. PixelJunkMonstersHD is charming, but I just blasted through Defenders Quest off of GoG, so I'm full up on TowerDefense for a second.

Teraria is, frankly, the most interesting of the games I've tried so far and might be kind of fun to play around with! If Vita has more of this kind of thing...from different eras...I'll be a happy camper.

I can't seem to find new memory cards for all that much cheaper than I paid for my 16GB, so while the suggestion to go to Ebay is fine. I'm set. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Circinus

Are the screens on both the 100 and 2000 Vita the same size?

Can I use a screen protector for the 1000 on a 2000?

Yes, I think it's the same size (5") and same resolution.

I dont think that would work with the way things are setup now, the PS4 recognizes the Vita as an actual controller that is signed into your acct and i dont think there is a way to have just a "screen mode" or have the vita accept ds4 commands. They could possibly do it where you have the ds4 communicating directly with ps4 with vita strictly as a screen, but youd need to be in the same area as the ps4.

also i wrote a bit about how to save the Vita, which basically ends up being a way to save the games on vita instead of the hardware itself. Here it is, for the curious http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=935809

Ah okay. So they would have to re-engineer things a bit under the hood to communicate with PS4 with PS Vita just as a screen and with DualShock 4 input being connected to the PS Vita through Bluetooth and that input communicated via to PS4 Wi-Fi.

And yeah, I think the premise of your idea is interesting. If PS4 could play PS Vita games and PS4 games that might make making PS Vita games more attractive for publishers. PS Vita's selling point is obviously that is portable, so PS Vita games being compatible (within this hypothetic scenario) is not a detriment to that.

timshundo

As a Vita owner, I think the handheld serves as a good example of the fact that good specs alone (along with proprietary storage cards and a gimmicky "rear touch pad") don't make a good console. Let Sony learn a lesson.

I honestly do not think it could happen at this point, Vita is falling way too behind the 3DS in terms of sales and its pretty much non existent in terms of marketing. Developers aren't going to invest money into a system that will practically bring them no sales and not to mention Sony has pretty much given up on it.

At this point I've already accepted that the vita is probably never going to get any more first party or AAA western titles so it is what it is now.

Circinus

As a Vita owner, I think the handheld serves as a good example of the fact that specs and proprietary storage cards don't make a good console. Let Sony learn a lesson.

As a Vita owner and long time Nintendo handhelds owner, I think the handheld serves as a good example that specs are extremely important to make a good handheld console, to make for a much more pleasant handheld gaming experience. Especially the display is one of the most important aspects of a handheld in my humble opinion.

Whenever these discussions come up, while I agree that the PSP had a wealth of support from major developers that just isn't there on Vita, I feel that the Vita gets no credit for the decent range of downloadable stuff on it. Frozen Synapse, Spelunky, Soldner X, Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, Guacamelee, The Swapper, Walking Dead, Terraria, etc etc. It allows western developers to release stuff for it, I can't wait to play Banner Saga for example.

Considering that it also plays the PSP and PSOne digital range, while it's own exclusive library is lacking as a successor, it does allow you to tailor a really nice collection to play on the move.

All the regular complaints (poor exclusive library compared to PSP, memory cards, lack of AAA support) are perfectly valid, but they don't stop it being a great portable gaming system with a large range of compatible games unless you only care for what is new and what is exclusive.

Yes, the Vita's lineup of titles is decent...but just so. To me, the PSP's selection of titles was superior, in terms of exclusives and ports from both East and West. It covered most of my tastes AND put me on to stuff I'd never tried before in a way that the Vita never managed for the 1.5 years I had one.

And that's no accident. What eventually convinced me to sell the system was that Sony simply doesn't give a shit about the device the way they did with the PSP. There are huge holes in it's first and third party lineup, the memory prices are a cruel joke in the wake of it's digital content push, and several games look and/or run like dogshit. Meanwhile they point to ports of old ass games and Steam stuff as proof that they still care, when instead it just highlights how bare-minimum the support has gotten.

The issue isn't whether the Vita can get a renaissance. It needs one in large part because of Sony's indifference and bad decision making, and won't deserve one until that's fixed. Which hasn't happened yet and probably never will.

How much different do you think the Vita's life would be if it was simply named PSP2? Average consumer doesn't seem to know what the PS Vita is. They all know what a PSP is.

I feel like if they called it PSP2 a lot more people would have (initially) responded to it.

Nightbird

How much different do you think the Vita's life would be if it was simply named PSP2? Average consumer doesn't seem to know what the PS Vita is. They all know what a PSP is.

I feel like if they called it PSP2 a lot more people would have (initially) responded to it.

None, the Name is fine.

The Vitas Problem are:

- hidden costs (Memory Cards)
- lack of advertising
- way too specific Libary (If you don't like japanese Games with Anime-Style you don't need a Vita)

Those three things broke the Vitas neck in the long run. There may be more, but in my eyes those three are the Main offenders

I think a name only does so much...

None, the Name is fine.

The Vitas Problem are:

- hidden costs (Memory Cards)
- lack of advertising
- way too specific Libary (If you don't like japanese Games with Anime-Style you don't need a Vita)

Those three things broke the Vitas neck in the long run. There may be more, but in my eyes those three are the Main offenders

I think the bigger offender is that the casual handheld gaming market (especially kids) is dead thanks to mobile. These made up a lot of the DS and PSP's userbase and both have seen huge declines in the successors for this reason.

I think a name only does so much...

I don't know, I think a name does a lot. It's all about image. It's the same problem the Wii U is suffering for.

I think the bigger offender is that the casual handheld gaming market (especially kids) is dead thanks to mobile. These made up a lot of the DS and PSP's userbase and both have seen huge declines in the successors for this reason.

And also this I guess. People quite happy to sit and play time wasters and save the 'real' experience for when they get home.

-------------------------------

Unrelated story about trying to find a memory card. I bought a PSTV (10/10). It was for my girlfriends house so it was delivered there etc. Realized that many more games than I previously thought were over 1GB so a quick jaunt to the only nearby retail park to visit Argos. None in stock. Fair enough. There was also a Currys there which is a long shot. That particular store didn't sell them, but was informed that their store 30+ minutes away did. Thought I'd just leave it until I go home, where there is a GAME.

GAME had very little shelf space for the Vita and absolutely no mention anywhere about memory cards. I had to ask if they sold them and he's like "Oh, Vita cards?" and goes behind the till into some drawer. "We only have 4, they're all pre-owned, 4GB". I said no thanks and he pointed me in the direction Games Centre, two minutes walk away.

Games Centre was jam packed with actual gamers, it was so weird. People actually talking about the latest releases, crowding round the Bloodborne collectors edition, people playing with the Oculus Rift demo kit, even heard people saying "nah Driveclub is better now with the weather patch". In GAME it was just mums looking at FIFA 15.

Anyway, the place had a shitload more shelf space for the Vita and especially the Vita TV (which they were selling @ double the RRP). Still no memory cards though. Waited around for like ten minutes to find a member of staff that wasn't busy with other customers but the place was just so packed it seemed like they would never have a minute.

Tried ASDA after that. Needn't have even bothered. The only thing in there showing the Vita even existed was a small piece of paper saying PS Vita, neatly tucked behind the 3DS shelf.

So in total I tried 5 stores and found no (new) memory cards. Games Centre possibly had them but no chance of seeing staff to ask. Resigned and bought one online. Now it'll take days. DAYS.

How much different do you think the Vita's life would be if it was simply named PSP2?

None at all. The Vita being called 'PSP2' doesn't change the fact that the system would still be influenced by both the internal factors( i.e expensive proprietary storage) and external ones( the mobile market draining a good portion of the potential username for dedicated portables) which led to its market irrelevancy. I'm sure that the millions of people who bought a PSP are well aware of the Vita, many of whom you'd think would naturally upgrade, but obviously didn't for reasons x,y and z.

It was pretty clear from the form factor that the Vita was a new PSP. I doubt that was an issue. There was kiosks in almost every major store, and for the past year, those kiosks and demo units have been attached to the white-hot PS4, go into a Target or Best Buy and the Vita is sitting right there next to the PS4 controller on playable units, so exposure doesn't seem to be an issue.

Something that people never take into account in these conversations is how many millions of people used to buy game consoles, especially handhelds which were trendy and cheap, and then abandon them in a drawer.

People talk about how the Wii install base was enormous because Nintendo sold everybody and their grandmother on the console. They would unbox it, play Wii Sports, then it would become a Netflix machine.

Young girls would ask their parents for DSs, play Nintendogs, then put it in a box in their closet when they got bored.

Teenage boys would buy a PSP on the PlayStation name and the maturely presented alternative to Nintendo's colorful DS, play Need for Speed, on the bus to football away games, then dump the thing at GameStop.

These kinds of gamers bought these consoles based on fad appeal or impulse and then promptly abandoned it when they got bored.

When mobile gaming became the alternative, which was an ideal ecosystem for people who aren't seriously interested in games, they stopped buying consoles. So the Wii U numbers collapsed. The Vita numbers collapsed. Even the 3DS pales in comparison to its immediate predecessor.

While you still see people saying their Vita is a paperweight, you see WAY MORE hardcore Vita fans touting and plugging the device. Being a Vita fan is like being part of a culture. Vita fans are hardcore PlayStation fans and hugely enthusiastic about the games they play.

All this tells me that the only people still buying handhelds are hardcore fans, but hardcore fans WANT to spend money on their handhelds. People fund kickstarters just for Vita tiers, it's people's favorite way to play indies, people buy 64 GB (for $100!) memory cards just to hold all the games they're buying for this one device.

How often do you see early adopters saying "dat OLED"? How often do you see "Vita means life"?

The Vita market is there. It is for the dedicated enthusiasts. But the PSP market is gone: all the novelty gamers or impulse players are on their phones now and they are -never- going to come back.

The success of the PSP didn't do anything for the Vita, and no rebranding would have changed that.

Top Bottom