• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC4: First review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzeh

Banned
Im genuinely looking forward to this game now, not to mention I have put more weight on it with the loss of Watchdogs, so gaming diversity is lower, this will breakup the FPS titles for me, from a AAA standpoint :)

Derrick01

Banned
The game isn't even out yet, man.
And if you're talking about Assassin's Creed 3, sure the game had some issues, but it definitely wasn't garbage. Some people didn't like it as much as AC II, but 3 is still a good game. It just has flaws.

That's putting it lightly, 3's one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. For all the bad games you guys see me trashing on here none of them (or very few anyway) I would consider all-time terrible. AC3 would rank pretty well on that list though. It literally has no merit and does nothing well at all.

Might be the first game in the franchise that I pick up after the original (AC1) turned me off greatly. The reviews for AC3 didn't help to attract me back but all the media i've seen AC4 starting to hold and build my interest.

DSN2K

why are Ubi games such a technical mess, do they not do enough testing ? these 500+ development teams surely include testers right !?

Vizzeh

Banned
Might be the first game in the franchise that I pick up after the original (AC1) turned me off greatly. The reviews for AC3 didn't help to attract me back but all the media i've seen AC4 starting to hold and build my interest.

AC1 wasnt great, nor was AC3 but damn, you missed out on AC2 + AC2: Brotherhood.... missing out.

Sothpaw

I'm looking to get into the AC series for the first time (all on PC). But man you guys are really shitting on the series. Is it worth it or is it a dumbed down series for the masses?

SJRB

Gold Member
why are Ubi games such a technical mess, do they not do enough testing ? these 500+ development teams surely include testers right !?

There must be something inherently flawed with their Anvil engine. There's no other explenation for having the exact same bugs in every single game since the original AC, especially considering the fact that 900 people worked on this title.

CHC

I'm looking to get into the AC series for the first time (all on PC). But man you guys are really shitting on the series. Is it worth it or is it a dumbed down series for the masses?

It's incredibly dumb and "streamlined", and there is also no plot resolution since they are obsessed with shoehorning in a sci-fi meta plot that they refuse to resolve. The series has spiraled way out of hand and is not good at all. The first one or Brotherhood are probably the best to try if you must, but do not expect good games, and you might be surprised if it turns out you like them.

In my opinion Assassin's Creed represents everything I hate about over bloated AAA games. Horrible writing and acting, swaths of boring content and meaningless side quests, homogenization of game mechanics into a one button cinema fest, etc etc.

Zemm

Dumbed down for the masses. Honestly don't waste your time.

It's incredibly dumb and "streamlined", and there is also no plot resolution since they are obsessed with shoehorning in a sci-fi meta plot that they refuse to resolve. The series has spiraled way out of hand and is not good at all. The first one or Brotherhood are probably the best to try if you must, but do not expect good games, and you might be surprised if it turns out you like them.

In my opinion Assassin's Creed represents everything I hate about over bloated AAA games. Horrible writing and acting, swaths of boring content and meaningless side quests, homogenization of game mechanics into a one button cinema fest, etc etc.

This guy says it best, especially the final paragraph.

Carbonox

The game isn't even out yet, man.
And if you're talking about Assassin's Creed 3, sure the game had some issues, but it definitely wasn't garbage. Some people didn't like it as much as AC II, but 3 is still a good game. It just has flaws.

Yup.

I enjoyed it first time through though I didn't like many element. Then I played through it again nearly a year later and enjoyed it even more - enough to get the Platinum trophy in it.

The same happened with the first Bioshock. Went through it and thought it was decent. Returned a few years later and now I regard it one of the best games of the generation.

AC3 has many issues but it's an enjoyable game with enough fun stuff to do. Calling it one of the worst games ever made is some comical hyperbole.

My personal ranking of the series is AC2 > AC3 = Rev > Bro > AC1

AC4 looks fantastic though. Much better setting and really expanding on one my favourite aspects of AC3 - the pirate stuff. Looking forward to playing it. Connor was a shit character so it will be good to play as someone far more interesting and appealing.

BigDug13

I'll wait for a second opinion review-wise, but I am liking the game features that make the ship stuff seem like an HD Sid Meier's Pirates.

Sorian

Banned
That's putting it lightly, 3's one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. For all the bad games you guys see me trashing on here none of them (or very few anyway) I would consider all-time terrible. AC3 would rank pretty well on that list though. It literally has no merit and does nothing well at all.

The AI when playing the board games was pretty good.

Too many cooks in the kitchen mixed with the left hand not know what the right hand is up to and the head unable to control either side.

VandalD

Has there ever been an early review for any game that made it out to be bad or average? Why would anyone trust this?

When does the embargo drop? Looking forward to this though, would be nice to finally have a worthwhile pirates game outside of the Sid ones.

Shame the PC version is still a month away, not going to touch the current gen versions this time around.

Neuro

I can remember people saying similar things about ACIII. And look how that turned out...

I totally agree with you on this, I had really high hopes from AC III bought it on launch and was a complete piece of trash, I am gonna wait for sometime before I invest in the series again...

InSpectre

Yup.

I enjoyed it first time through though I didn't like many element. Then I played through it again nearly a year later and enjoyed it even more - enough to get the Platinum trophy in it.

The same happened with the first Bioshock. Went through it and thought it was decent. Returned a few years later and now I regard it one of the best games of the generation.

AC3 has many issues but it's an enjoyable game with enough fun stuff to do. Calling it one of the worst games ever made is some comical hyperbole.

My personal ranking of the series is AC2 > AC3 = Rev > Bro > AC1

AC4 looks fantastic though. Much better setting and really expanding on one my favourite aspects of AC3 - the pirate stuff. Looking forward to playing it. Connor was a shit character so it will be good to play as someone far more interesting and appealing.

I've struggled a bit getting through AC3. I'm hoping Black Flag is led by "Team 2" whoever made AC2 and Revelations. If it is I think I'm going to love it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
3 took a lot of wind out my sails (HAH!) for the series but honestly Black Flag has me pretty seriously hooked.

Said it a hundred times... as far as the story/plot and conflict of the overall series? It's dead. It's over. Stupid and pointless... they lost track of their decent story about 4 hours into 2.. but it and Bro:Hood were still pretty fucking fun games to me.

3 was just so. Fucking. SLOW. Pacing and gameplay and the way the world was put together and traversed it just seemed... really haphazardly put together. Forget the fucking story at this point.. it's ridiculous. And then they have the balls to tease you with the only decent character in the beginning. For like an hour or more... before turning you in a wooden statue.

Edward needs to git money and fuck wenches. Imma raid every boat on the ocean and make my ship the boss and then terrorize everyone I see and murder whales for days. It's a Pirate SIM... and taken that way.. should be pretty fuckin good. doubloons like whoa...

Thoraxes

From what i'm reading...

If I didn't like the naval combat in AC3, and just don't like it at all, this game is probably not for me.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
"This is A TRUE AC GAME"..and "naval warfare is amazing". Okay then.

antitrop

This is my absolute favorite line from the AC3 review that I posted earlier in this thread, just have to quote it:

It’s difficult to keep a story that jumps around multiple decades and characters comprehendible, but here it remains easy to follow and often quite poignant and thought-provoking. There’s some great dialogue and characterization throughout that is sure to prove memorable in the years to come. An early highlight happens when Haytham is about to leave a bar, only to have drunk soldiers insult him. After asking him what he’s going to do about it, he simply replies “I was leaving, but now I’m going to feed you your teeth”.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF? How many times they will give nines and tens over and over and over and over again essentially the same f****ng game as before without significant changes to the core gameplay and mechanics that will allow us to play a completely different AC game? How much is this going to continue and for how long we will allow this to happen? It's not even funny anymore! They will continue to make the same shitty game over and over if we will not do something about it.

P.S. They need to get rid of the f****ng open world and make a completely linear-cinematic-story-driven-action-adventure-game like Uncharted or The Last of Us. Only after this I will play another AC game, but before that they can go to hell with their AC games cuz I've had enough.

dEvAnGeL

WTF? How many times they will give nines and tens over and over and over and over again essentially the same f****ng game as before without significant changes to the core gameplay and mechanics that will allow us to play a completely different AC game? How much is this going to continue and for how long we will allow this to happen? It's not even funny anymore! They will continue to make the same shitty game over and over if we will not do something about it.

P.S. They need to get rid of the f****ng open world and make a completely linear-cinematic-story-driven-action-adventure-game like Uncharted or The Last of Us. Only after this I will play another AC game ater ACIII last year.

that's your opinion, which i respect of course, but ill say just look at the game sales, there's a few million people that disagree with you, including myself

P.S. They need to get rid of the f****ng open world and make a completely linear-cinematic-story-driven-action-adventure-game like Uncharted or The Last of Us.

That sounds absolutely horrible, unimaginative, stale, and backwards. The free roaming aspect is the only thing that still draws me to the AC series. Without it, it's not worth anywhere near a full release price.

After playing AC3, I got hours more of enjoyment by roaming around each of the zones and messin' around. I'd even dare say it's more entertaining than the linear points / storyline segments.

Carbonox

P.S. They need to get rid of the f****ng open world and make a completely linear-cinematic-story-driven-action-adventure-game like Uncharted or The Last of Us. Only after this I will play another AC game, but before that they can go to hell with their AC games cuz I've had enough.

hahahahahahah wot

antitrop

hahahahahahah wot

Actually, he has a great point. Assassin's Creed has an identity crisis. It wants to be a scripted, cinematic, set-piece driven action-adventure, but based around open-world game design philosophy.

It's overly ambitious, but I see that as a bad thing. I think the franchise would benefit from a little bit more focus and refinement.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
dEvAnGeL
Oh please, I also respect your opinion but don't tell me about the sales and about the number of people which like every f****ng AC game. This is all merely says that the game industry is in complete ass for a very long time already and all of the people who likes the same AC game for almost 7 year now is just contributes to all this. That's why I don't care about sales and about number people cuz honestly - it changes nothing!

dEvAnGeL

dEvAnGeL
Oh please, I also respect your opinion but don't tell me about the sales and about the number of people which like every f****ng AC game. This is all merely says that the game industry is in complete ass for a very long time already and all of the people who likes the same AC game for almost 7 year now is just contributes to all this. That's why I don't care about sales and about number people cuz honestly - it changes nothing!

you really need to take it easy with the cursing, just an advice, you may not even make it to a member, also, your point makes no point at all, given the fact the franchise releases a game every year and it keeps selling millions so that would tell you that it has a huge fan base that are ok with how the game plays, you're not force to buy it, but if you're gonna criticize it at least make a good valid point

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Actually, he has a great point. Assassin's Creed has an identity crisis. It wants to be a scripted, cinematic, set-piece driven action-adventure, but based around open-world game design philosophy.

It's overly ambitious, but I see that as a bad thing. I think the franchise would benefit from a little bit more focus and refinement.
MHkKbj6.gif

dEvAnGeL
No worries. I already said all what I wanted to say about all of this ;)
Oh and I already make a good valid point - it is the same game as before without significant changes to the core gameplay and mechanics that will allow us to play a completely different AC game аnd as I said earlier - what I want to see is a completely linear-cinematic-story-driven-action-adventure-game like Uncharted or The Last of Us without open world at all cuz that will be a completely different and MUCH BETTER AC game to me cuz I'm sick of open world and all that is associated with it in AC games (and in 90% of other games too).

Shinta

Banned
Make no mistake, this is Assassin's Creed 3-2. It's the "Brotherhood" after 3. They just changed it to a main numbered entry to increase sales.

Given all the massive issues with 3, I'd be shocked if we don't see many more substantial complaints about the gameplay once gamers get their hands on it in greater numbers.

The game does look like it has its positive points though, and I would like to be surprised and see that they somehow fixed issues that have plagued the series in all 5 games, and in some cases, actually gotten worse.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Make no mistake, this is Assassin's Creed 3-2. It's the "Brotherhood" after 3. They just changed it to a main numbered entry to increase sales.

Given all the massive issues with 3, I'd be shocked if we don't see many more substantial complaints about the gameplay once gamers get their hands on it in greater numbers.

The game does look like it has its positive points though, and I would like to be surprised and see that they somehow fixed issues that have plagued the series in all 5 games, and in some cases, actually gotten worse.
Nah, Liberation was 3-Brotherhood
Black Flag is 3-Revelations.

DogMeat77

I wanted to like AC3 really badly. I liked the time period... but damn did I have to try hard to finish it. I finally got there but I think I said "I quit" at least 2 or 3 times. The pacing of the game was just a nightmare.

Tobor

No, it's a terrible point, as the open world exploration in historical settings is what has led to the series success. It's become the cornerstone of this franchise.

A linear Assassins creed would suck. More games need to move to open world, not the other way around.

Iorv3th

Is run and jump and everything all mapped to a/x still? I hated that in ac3 and connor would jump when i didn't want him to etc.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I found AC3 just as irritating as anyone else but imo Revelations was faaaaaaar worse. That STUPID tower defense mini game is far more annoying than anything in AC3. Also where exactly were the revelations that the title promised? Seriously nothing that was revealed in the plot could be considered a revelation

AC3 got good early reviews as well....sorry but Im not being duped again by this series.

There has been almost no progression in the gameplay since the first game. Sure they make everything prettier, put you in a different location, and give you more fetch quests to perform but it feels like the same game over and over and over.

Hey Ubi, yeah jumping off a tower into a haystack was cool the first time but since you've made sure that every single game in the series requires you to do this about 400 times, its pretty lame and boring now

SLY_

Banned

God I hope not. Terrible idea. There's a game that's linear and story driven and you just listed them. Part of the draw of AC is the fact it's an open world playground. Streamlining the story isn't a bad idea but stripping the game of it main pieces to get there isn't the right course to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom