• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
EXGN said:
Holy crap. Really strong score from them.
Indeed. Sadly, even if this game was getting 10's, it wouldn't matter. Too crowded release window, no PR, and a demo that many fans took issue with.

Killdozer said:
Ultimatum, can you please elaborate?

He pictured Yellow 13, the main antagonist, if we can yes, from AC4. He's the enemy that you follow from the eyes of the narrator, a little boy who lost his parents when Yellow 13 shot down a plane who crashed on the boy's house.

Yellow 13 is an invader yet he's so charismatic and good, that he inspires admiration to the narrator and fear yet fascination from you.

In the game, he's your nemesis. You first flew away when his squadron reach the battle zone. Second encounter is a crucial turn over in the story line and an challenging battle right in the same mission after you take down the entire super weapon that started this war.

Final encounter is when he's showing up, as the final squadron to defend the capital. Arguably the most challenging air to air, one to one battle in the entire series with ACZ, infamous Zero battle.

He represents the ultimate Ace for the fans because his appearances are rare, menacing and always in the climax of the most important missions of the war. He's define by pure, air to air combat skill. No gimmick, no laser or microwave bombs or prototype plane (like ACZ). Only air to air missiles (long range are useless, smart ones are more effective if you choose the right plane, but no recommended for the first part of the mission) and of course your machine gun. The soundtrack is not as epic as AC5 or ACZ finals but maybe the comments from the civilians, the press, the military over the radio, liberating the city, are giving you wings to fight harder, to end this right.

All you had to do was hit the breaks and make a hard left or right turn following the boss planes in the past AC games. It was pretty much a circling game.

Maybe I'm just fucking Doug Masters.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
All you had to do was hit the breaks and make a hard left or right turn following the boss planes in the past AC games. It was pretty much a circling game.

Maybe I'm just fucking Doug Masters.

But it was fucking awesome nonetheless, don't RUIN MY APPRECIATION OF THE GAME YOU NUGGET

Yuterald

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet despite only being a few missions in. The PS2 Ace Combat games set such a standard, especially Zero. People yammering about the presentation and music being so good, well, it better be fucking good because these are staples of the franchise! There are a few things that weird me out/aren't sitting well with me.

-Regenerating health. Not a fan of it, clearly. This would have to be the primary example of disgusting western game design/shooter/COD influence that is present in the game.

-DFM shit looks slick and it's cool, but to be a broken record, it's a little too "whoa" and not very interesting.

Where the fuck are my ally squadron commands? Does this unlock as you get further? Why can't I use the D-pad to assign commands to by wing men?

-There are no Medals in this game either? I know there is a list of 150 some unlockables, but Ace Combat games need cool Medals and decorations.

-Characters/story doesn't seem offensive, but it's so dry. I already miss Gracemeria, dearly. This Africa/Middle East shit does nothing for me. I trust Project Aces to throw in their usual twists and cool scenes/drama, but it's not very interesting from the start.

Our world sucks, it's not interesting developers, lol!

Yuterald said:
This would have to be the primary example of disgusting western game design/shooter/COD influence that is present in the game.

my eyes are rolling so fucking hard right now it hurts

Spent a little bit more time with the game, I'm definitely coming around to it now that I've change the controls away from default - seriously, default was basically Halo Reach's flight controls. Still loving the intensity of the presentation. Still digging multiplayer a little bit more than campaign. Still not loving the rail sequences.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Solid warrior said:
an 8 from Edge indicates an excellent game. meanwhile, van0rd of gamespot is nowhere to be found after he posted the infamous "5.5" troll review.
I don't think GS's review is a troll. They hit the same talking points. The big difference is that the Edge reviewer enjoyed this arcadier iteration of AC while the GS reviewer was disappointed by it. And of course, reviewers apparently never play multi, so who knows how good that is.

SapientWolf said:
I don't think GS's review is a troll. They hit the same talking points. The big difference is that the Edge reviewer enjoyed this arcadier iteration of AC while the GS reviewer was disappointed by it.

AC has always been arcadey.

BigJiantRobut said:

Spent a little bit more time with the game, I'm definitely coming around to it now that I've change the controls away from default - seriously, default was basically Halo Reach's flight controls. Still loving the intensity of the presentation. Still digging multiplayer a little bit more than campaign. Still not loving the rail sequences.
How can you keep up with the enemies jukes when you have to roll before you can turn? That's the problem I had with going back to the old school setup.

ctrayne

I haven't finished it yet, but I will say that I miss the old briefings. Those really added to making you feel like a pilot and fleshed out the story. AC5's are my favorite. Those seem to be largely absent in AH.

Still enjoying it though. It's no AC5 or Zero, but it IS a good game in its own right.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
SapientWolf said:
It has, but AH takes it to Afterburner levels.
Is this opinion based on your time with the beta, the game, or on what others have said? I personally think it feels about the same but is more intense in ways.

Kacho

This was developed by Project Aces, right? I have never been so on the fence about a game until now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DenogginizerOS said:
Is this opinion based on your time with the beta, the game, or on what others have said? I personally think it feels about the same but is more intense in ways.
The whole game doesn't resemble Afterburner but the dogfight air strike modes hearken back to that title. The demo is the same as the E3 demo I played in July so I just went ahead and bought the game.

Kacho

ctrayne said:
I haven't finished it yet, but I will say that I miss the old briefings. Those really added to making you feel like a pilot and fleshed out the story. AC5's are my favorite. Those seem to be largely absent in AH.

Still enjoying it though. It's no AC5 or Zero, but it IS a good game in its own right.

While I've only played the demo, you can see hints of classic Ace Combat here and there. After switching all of the options to "classic" or whatever it definitely controlled like Ace Combat (square for map, turning isn't like Halo). How is the music and mission variety?

ctrayne said:

What's better, AC5 or AC Zero?

I'm at the store right now looking at both of them.

_woLf

I'm loving the overall presentation in this game. The first person sequences are pretty cool. The music, as always, is fantastic. Definitely enjoying the game.

ctrayne

Dark Octave said:
What's better, AC5 or AC Zero?
I'm at the store right now looking at both of them.
Both great in different ways. AC5 is more well-rounded and large in scope, while AC0 is very intense and a little more personal in scale. AC0 is a semi-prequel to AC5, but they can be played in either order.

ACESmkII said:
Playing Co-op in story missions with people that actually know what they are doing is amazing.

Can't wait to try it.

I'm loving the multiplayer in this. I'm a goddamn shark and keep getting mvp :)

PRO-TIP: learn the defensive DFM move asap. When the big red reticule is one you and missiles are coming, slow down, level out so that the triangles in the center screen meet then go into DFM. You'll flip around your attacker and have the advantage. I was stuck in sp until I learned it and aced the mission first time I did.

Again, if you're getting shot down learn this!

ctrayne

BigJiantRobut said:
Zero also has the coolest soundtrack - dat flamenco guitar.
Yeah, AC5's is VERY good, but flamenco beats everything. Especially when paired to jet dogfights. What an unlikely and beautiful combination.

Have any of you AC fans played Sidewinder V? I'm curious to see if it's good.

ACESmkII

robut said:
Can't wait to try it.

I'm loving the multiplayer in this. I'm a goddamn shark and keep getting mvp :)

PRO-TIP: learn the defensive DFM move asap. When the big red reticule is one you and missiles are coming, slow down, level out so that the triangles in the center screen meet then go into DFM. You'll flip around your attacker and have the advantage. I was stuck in sp until I learned it and aced the mission first time I did.

Again, if you're getting shot down learn this!
Yeah that move is key in multiplayer death match. I finished my last match 19 kills 4 deaths and 1 of those deaths I hit a building trying to avoid two guys behind me. Overall I came in 2nd.

ctrayne

BigJiantRobut said:
How come sometimes I can't reverse maneuver even though the red and green level indicators are solidly over each other?
You have the be level to the horizon. Watch for a bright green arrow with a looping animation, that is what the screen will show once you are ready. The overlapping red and green marks are a guide but you won't get the prompt unless the plane is totally level.

ctrayne said:
You have the be level to the horizon. Watch for a bright green arrow with a looping animation, that is what the screen will show once you are ready. The overlapping red and green marks are a guide but you won't get the prompt unless the plane is totally level.

Thanks! Works like a charm now.

Yuterald

BigJiantRobut said:

I don't understand? It's true. Regenerating health is a product of this generation. Gears of War, COD, etc. How can you deny this and roll your eyes? It has no place in an AC game. Unless there is an Ace difficult where damage actually returns then it's most definitely a disappointing change.

Yuterald said:
I don't understand? It's true. Regenerating health is a product of this generation. Gears of War, COD, etc. How can you deny this and roll your eyes? It has no place in an AC game. Unless there is an Ace difficult where damage actually returns then it's most definitely a disappointing change.

"Disgusting western game design"

Yuterald said:
Well, seriously, what else would you call it then?

Regenerating health or western game design.

We can talk about whether or not it fits in Ace Combat, but to label an entire hemisphere and their approach to game design "disgusting" is phenomenally stupid.

ctrayne

Yuterald said:
Well, seriously, what else would you call it then?
You're wording makes it sound like you consider all western design poor, as opposed just to certain elements of certain games. Like, "ah, typical disgusting western design." Makes you sound like a closed-minded weaboo, but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. :) There are hundreds of excellent western-produced games that have nothing resembling regenerating health.

Really regenerating health is the problem here? I disagree. Shitty on rail shooting sections and anything else that doesn't involve flying a plane are the biggest problems that this game has.

Lostconfused said:
Really regenerating health is the problem here? I disagree. Shitty on rail shooting sections and anything else that doesn't involve flying a plane are the biggest problems that this game has.

Bingo, the stuff that isn't jets is kind of lacking.

Yuterald

Well, to clear things up, no, I'm not some weeaboo who thinks Japanese games are the only games worth playing. Wayforward and Retro Studios are some of my favorite developers. I do, however, prefer Japanese games in general and feel that their design philosophies/choices have always been the best and are still the best today.

Regenerating health was just one of the gripes I had with this game because it has been popularized by games like Halo, COD, Gears of War, etc. I'm just sick of some of my favorite franchises from the PS2 era receiving the worst elements that are found in pretty much EVERY western game today.

But as I've said, this game seems to be missing a lot of the small things that make AC games really stand out and feel special. Maybe I'll dig it the more I play it but so far I'm fairly underwhelmed.

Guess what? Halo and Gears of War are the best games in their respective genre. Just because some dev decided to copy a game mechanic or sequence that does not compliment their game does not make the mechanic it self bad. It's all about implementation.

ctrayne

Just finished it. My thoughts:

- Style and presentation is astouding. At many moments I felt like I was watching a good war movie. In motion, the game has very strong graphics and is cinematic in all the right ways.
- Never got any slowdown - 30 FPS is not ideal, but at least it was steady
- Plot was OK, therefore infinitely better than AC6. No awkward catchphrases. Nice ending, loved the main character
overcoming his nightmare and getting the girl. The repeat of Miami was expertly done.
I smiled and my heart was beating pretty fast by the end. Not sure who said it drags on towards the end, but that's not true. The last few missions were absolutely epic in scope.
- English VA was more natural than AC5 and AC6, maybe better than Zero. Radio chatter felt good.
- Control is just like older games in the series when set to original. Stop complaining.
- Difficulty was just right for me. I died plenty, but always found a way to overcome. Some of the objectives were challenging in a good way.
- Regenerating Heath - silly, yes. The idea of a plane healing itself is goofy. But in terms of gameplay, it doesn't make things much easier. If you've played DXHR, it's like that - get caught in a lot of crossfire and you'll go down fast. Unlike shooters, Ace Combat generally has nowhere to hide, so you can't just find a knee-high wall and camp out, so the comparisons to GoW are not entirely founded, don't fret. Like I said, I died plenty, so while different, the regen doesn't kill the game. Also, you can and will die from ground impact, the people bouncing off the ground must be doing something else. I botched a landing once and I died.
- DFM is not a free kill pass, you can lose the guy and even have it turned around on you. The demo mission does a bad job of introducing it - it gets much harder towards the end and the frequency of the "LOOK AT THIS" chases actually decrease. I would say my kill ratio was 50% DFM and 50% normal shootdown.
- Heli missions were OK. First one dragged on too long. The one later in the game was much harder and much more fun.
- On-rails turret stuff was a non factor for me. They were short and scenic. The music in the first one was great, with the credits popping up between battles.
- The stealth bomber was kind of fun, reminded me of AC5.
- Having the head NATO commander being French was a neat little thing I've never seen before in a game. Refreshing.

I actually loved the game. It's no AC5 or Zero, but it is a perfectly fun game. As I've said before, we have 7 or so games in the classic style, plus two PSP games and an iOS game too. And Assault Horizon Legacy is coming out, which takes place in Strangereal. So I think it's fair to let the devs try something new. The bitching is kind of old - we get it, western developers have tainted the pure eastern design. Well, it's not true, it's a great game, easily better than AC6, and I applaud the devs for breaking out of their shell.

ctrayne

Finaika said:
Thanks for the review.
Is the game really that short?
I beat it in two days, but I did the same with AC0 and AC6. It felt about right to me, but I wouldn't mind more.

I admit it's not for everyone, and it will not beat out the really good stuff like AC0, but I think the unfavorable comparisons to the older games is a little overdone.

The lead writer for the game came to our college promoting some history book he wrote. My design professor thankfully brought him in to lecture about the development process of the game. He brought a bunch of dev excel docs talking about the narrative structure and level design. He also discussed how they brought him in for the entire process because they wanted this game to really appeal to a western(global) audience. I think the reviews show.

Top Bottom