• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

ACESmkII

ctrayne said:
Just finished it. My thoughts:

- Style and presentation is astouding. At many moments I felt like I was watching a good war movie. In motion, the game has very strong graphics and is cinematic in all the right ways.
- Never got any slowdown - 30 FPS is not ideal, but at least it was steady
- Plot was OK, therefore infinitely better than AC6. No awkward catchphrases. Nice ending, loved the main character
overcoming his nightmare and getting the girl. The repeat of Miami was expertly done.
I smiled and my heart was beating pretty fast by the end. Not sure who said it drags on towards the end, but that's not true. The last few missions were absolutely epic in scope.
- English VA was more natural than AC5 and AC6, maybe better than Zero. Radio chatter felt good.
- Control is just like older games in the series when set to original. Stop complaining.
- Difficulty was just right for me. I died plenty, but always found a way to overcome. Some of the objectives were challenging in a good way.
- Regenerating Heath - silly, yes. The idea of a plane healing itself is goofy. But in terms of gameplay, it doesn't make things much easier. If you've played DXHR, it's like that - get caught in a lot of crossfire and you'll go down fast. Unlike shooters, Ace Combat generally has nowhere to hide, so you can't just find a knee-high wall and camp out, so the comparisons to GoW are not entirely founded, don't fret. Like I said, I died plenty, so while different, the regen doesn't kill the game. Also, you can and will die from ground impact, the people bouncing off the ground must be doing something else. I botched a landing once and I died.
- DFM is not a free kill pass, you can lose the guy and even have it turned around on you. The demo mission does a bad job of introducing it - it gets much harder towards the end and the frequency of the "LOOK AT THIS" chases actually decrease. I would say my kill ratio was 50% DFM and 50% normal shootdown.
- Heli missions were OK. First one dragged on too long. The one later in the game was much harder and much more fun.
- On-rails turret stuff was a non factor for me. They were short and scenic. The music in the first one was great, with the credits popping up between battles.
- The stealth bomber was kind of fun, reminded me of AC5.
- Having the head NATO commander being French was a neat little thing I've never seen before in a game. Refreshing.

I actually loved the game. It's no AC5 or Zero, but it is a perfectly fun game. As I've said before, we have 7 or so games in the classic style, plus two PSP games and an iOS game too. And Assault Horizon Legacy is coming out, which takes place in Strangereal. So I think it's fair to let the devs try something new. The bitching is kind of old - we get it, western developers have tainted the pure eastern design. Well, it's not true, it's a great game, easily better than AC6, and I applaud the devs for breaking out of their shell.
Nice review and I agree with most of your points.

The game is definitely a much more enjoyable experiene than AC6, especially the overall narative. I have not beat it yet though, I just
got to the second Apache mission in Moscow.

DFM does not ruin the game for me at all since most of the pilots can and will break it pretty easily. Like you said, the demo made it seem like it was a guaranteed kill and I'm glad this was not the case.

I love the detail on the models of all the Aircraft and the fact that they break up in multiple pieces when taken out. It never gets old. I also thought it was really neat that all aircraft warning systems spoke back in their native language.

I am getting some slight drops in the frame rate though, especially when multiple explosions are going off or there is a lot of smoke and particles. PS3 version BTW.

ctrayne

ACESmkII said:
DFM does not ruin the game for me at all since most of the pilots can and will break it pretty easily. Like you said, the demo made it seem like it was a guaranteed kill and I'm glad this was not the case.

I love the detail on the models of all the Aircraft and the fact that they break up in multiple pieces when taken out. It never gets old. I also thought it was really neat that all aircraft warning systems spoke back in their native language.

I am getting some slight drops in the frame rate though, especially when multiple explosions are going off or there is a lot of smoke and particles. PS3 version BTW.
I'm on Xbox with no noticeable slowdown for me. Maybe the PS3 version has a bit of slowdown? Doesn't sound like a deal breaker, though.

ctrayne said:
Just finished it. My thoughts:

- Style and presentation is astouding. At many moments I felt like I was watching a good war movie. In motion, the game has very strong graphics and is cinematic in all the right ways.
- Never got any slowdown - 30 FPS is not ideal, but at least it was steady
- Plot was OK, therefore infinitely better than AC6. No awkward catchphrases. Nice ending, loved the main character
overcoming his nightmare and getting the girl. The repeat of Miami was expertly done.
I smiled and my heart was beating pretty fast by the end. Not sure who said it drags on towards the end, but that's not true. The last few missions were absolutely epic in scope.
- English VA was more natural than AC5 and AC6, maybe better than Zero. Radio chatter felt good.
- Control is just like older games in the series when set to original. Stop complaining.
- Difficulty was just right for me. I died plenty, but always found a way to overcome. Some of the objectives were challenging in a good way.
- Regenerating Heath - silly, yes. The idea of a plane healing itself is goofy. But in terms of gameplay, it doesn't make things much easier. If you've played DXHR, it's like that - get caught in a lot of crossfire and you'll go down fast. Unlike shooters, Ace Combat generally has nowhere to hide, so you can't just find a knee-high wall and camp out, so the comparisons to GoW are not entirely founded, don't fret. Like I said, I died plenty, so while different, the regen doesn't kill the game. Also, you can and will die from ground impact, the people bouncing off the ground must be doing something else. I botched a landing once and I died.
- DFM is not a free kill pass, you can lose the guy and even have it turned around on you. The demo mission does a bad job of introducing it - it gets much harder towards the end and the frequency of the "LOOK AT THIS" chases actually decrease. I would say my kill ratio was 50% DFM and 50% normal shootdown.
- Heli missions were OK. First one dragged on too long. The one later in the game was much harder and much more fun.
- On-rails turret stuff was a non factor for me. They were short and scenic. The music in the first one was great, with the credits popping up between battles.
- The stealth bomber was kind of fun, reminded me of AC5.
- Having the head NATO commander being French was a neat little thing I've never seen before in a game. Refreshing.

I actually loved the game. It's no AC5 or Zero, but it is a perfectly fun game. As I've said before, we have 7 or so games in the classic style, plus two PSP games and an iOS game too. And Assault Horizon Legacy is coming out, which takes place in Strangereal. So I think it's fair to let the devs try something new. The bitching is kind of old - we get it, western developers have tainted the pure eastern design. Well, it's not true, it's a great game, easily better than AC6, and I applaud the devs for breaking out of their shell.
I feel safe to read you, a fan, liking it. This review made me comfortable enough to stop worrying about them screwing up hard. I guess I'll be the only judge at the end but at least I feel I will enjoy this.

ctrayne

UnluckyKate said:
I feel safe to read you, a fan, liking it. This review made me comfortable enough to stop worrying about them screwing up hard. I guess I'll be the only judge at the end but at least I feel I will enjoy this.
Yeah, I don't want to lead anyone astray - if you want to wait for a cheaper deal on the game, I understand - but I did enjoy the game. The soul of AC is still there.

So I take it that you only have the option to fly agile fighters this time around? No big hulky planes like in AC6? If you do, how does that work with dog fight mode?

ctrayne said:
Yeah, I don't want to lead anyone astray - if you want to wait for a cheaper deal on the game, I understand - but I did enjoy the game. The soul of AC is still there.

I'm 8000 miles away from my system so I can't buy this before march anyway.

Have to say I largely agree with ctrayne and would like to add about the length of the game: because it has such liberal checkpoints this will probably be the first Ace game I beat on the hardest setting. I'm really looking forward to beating the story then going at it on hard and not worrying about having to do a whole mission because I died at the end.

Dark Octave said:
So I take it that you only have the option to fly agile fighters this time around? No big hulky planes like in AC6? If you do, how does that work with dog fight mode?

There are bombing runs, and in multiplayer modes where the goal is to destroy a base, I've been having a blast playing as bombers.

MechaX

For what it's worth, ctrayne's review bumped up the game from a "will not buy" to a "will buy when slightly discounted." Perhaps that's more because it seems this game actually does have a good multiplayer element and the game I'm playing right now (Dark Souls) has a considerably botched multiplayer.

robut said:
Have to say I largely agree with ctrayne and would like to add about the length of the game: because it has such liberal checkpoints this will probably be the first Ace game I beat on the hardest setting. I'm really looking forward to beating the story then going at it on hard and not worrying about having to do a whole mission because I died at the end.

I always end up finish all AC game on Ace mode trying to get S ranking.

That "8492" mission in 5, where you have to flee away from that billion planes ambush, dying in one shot, was quiet the challenge

ctrayne

Dark Octave said:
There is one mission
over the ocean
that I can think of off the top of my head that lets you choose between some slower attackers and some smaller fighters. I believe that once a plane is unlocked in the story, you can use it again later. There is also a dedicated stealth bombing mission that was kind of cool.

So, for anyone who's played the full game, are there any classic Ace Combat setpieces? Flying through tunnels, systematically taking down giant named battleships, bossfights against aces in futurejets, that kind of thing? I feel like they've been trying to distance themselves from that more and more with every new Ace Combat, but those parts were always my favourite. It seems like this game's going for super-realism so I don't really expect any of the fun stuff.

I really wish they'd make a game that was just the setpieces. I want to be dodging orbital lasers in storms on my way to really tight tunnels with closing blast doors that I have to fly on my side to get through. That last mission in AC5 is still so amazing.

glaurung

matrix-cat said:
So, for anyone who's played the full game, are there any classic Ace Combat setpieces? Flying through tunnels, systematically taking down giant named battleships, bossfights against aces in futurejets, that kind of thing? I feel like they've been trying to distance themselves from that more and more with every new Ace Combat, but those parts were always my favourite. It seems like this game's going for super-realism so I don't really expect any of the fun stuff.

I really wish they'd make a game that was just the setpieces. I want to be dodging orbital lasers in storms on my way to really tight tunnels with closing blast doors that I have to fly on my side to get through. That last mission in AC5 is still so amazing.
I thought you hated the game?

ctrayne

I forgot to mention another point about DFM: you can and will be locked on by another plane while using it - it is not an invincibility button. This includes bombing runs on regular missions using Bishop (i.e. not the dedicated bomber mission with Spooky.) You will often have to relent and take on your pursuer, especially in the latter half of the game.

I thought about it some more last night and I really do like the game. It's fun.

Yuterald

Regenerating health argument aside, the game is still missing some of those special touches that make AC games feel so cool.

The mission briefings are like non-existent. Where is my cool drum fill music and slap bass transitions at the start of a mission? I'm sure everyone here hates me now so no one will probably answer my questions, but can you even give squad commands like you could with the d-pad in older games?

It just seems like there are fundamental features/elements missing from this game, Okay, I understand that some of the other changes had to happen to stay modern, evolve, be relevant, whatever, but there are still no Medals, cool briefings, etc. Shit, are there even optional Ace pilots to shoot down?

I've been playing on Elite so far and you can definitely die during DFM so it's definitely not easy bake oven like I thought it would be at first. The counter maneuvers are cool too, so I'll give it that much.

ctrayne

Yuterald said:
The mission briefings are like non-existent. Where is my cool drum fill music and slap bass transitions at the start of a mission? I'm sure everyone here hates me now so no one will probably answer my questions, but can you even give squad commands like you could with the d-pad in older games?

I agree that no briefings = suck, I think I mentioned that a while ago. It is a shame and I miss them too. And no, there are no wingman orders or optional Aces, though there are lots of optional regular targets to take down, and the duels against Akula almost make up for that with their challenge and flair.

The wingman controls never seemed to make a big difference in the older games, so while I think it's a shame they removed them, it wasn't a huge deal for most of the game. The friendly AI seemed to be somewhat limp for most AC games except for Zero - I always felt like I was the only one doing anything important - so no huge loss there.

I still think I'm ok with what they've done here. They've made so many games in the old style they have the right to do whatever they want with the series, and it could have been so much worse. What we got is a very fun, solid, playable game. Personally, if I want to shoot down special Aces and get awesome briefings, I'll go play AC4/5/0 again. I would always welcome a more traditional AC7 with open arms, but for a "rebirth" of the series, Assault Horizon is still fairly close to its roots. Just my 2 cents.

Yuterald

ctrayne said:
I agree that no briefings = suck, I think I mentioned that a while ago. It is a shame and I miss them too. And no, there are no wingman orders or optional Aces, though there are lots of optional regular targets to take down, and the duels against Akula almost make up for that with their challenge and flair.

The wingman controls never seemed to make a big difference in the older games, so while I think it's a shame they removed them, it wasn't a huge deal for most of the game. The friendly AI seemed to be somewhat limp for most AC games except for Zero - I always felt like I was the only one doing anything important - so no huge loss there.

I still think I'm ok with what they've done here. They've made so many games in the old style they have the right to do whatever they want with the series, and it could have been so much worse. What we got is a very fun, solid, playable game. Personally, if I want to shoot down special Aces and get awesome briefings, I'll go play AC4/5/0 again. I would always welcome a more traditional AC7 with open arms, but for a "rebirth" of the series, Assault Horizon is still fairly close to its roots. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I hear you. Well, maybe my overall impression will change as I get further/finish the game. I don't hate it or anything, I'm just a little disappointed.

Paertan

I don´t wanna brag or anything. But I program parts on that. Amongst other things.

Anyways ss soon as I finish Shadow of the Colossus I´m buying this game. Seems like it fun, though not a perfect game

Paertan said:
I don´t wanna brag or anything. But I program parts on that. Amongst other things.

Anyways ss soon as I finish Shadow of the Colossus I´m buying this game. Seems like it fun, though not a perfect game
Brag. What's Gripen C and what parts did you program? I'm interested.

Paertan

Dark Octave said:
Brag. What's Gripen C and what parts did you program? I'm interested.
Gripen C is a Swedish Fighter Jet. More commonly known as Jas 39 Gripen. C is the model currently used. I program parts of the electronic control-system on the next generation. Can´t really say more than that.

SkylineRKR

Bought it anyway, Limited edition.

Limited edition was same price as original so I figured I had to buy it now before I would miss out. I mostly cared about the included OST disc.

I like the OST myself, some great tracks in there. Tracks like Rebirth are obviously Kobayashi's work? Perhaps too many riffs here and there though.

Will play the game later and give my opinion about it. But I think i'll be fine with this game tbh. Demo left me a decent impression.

ctrayne

SkylineRKR said:
I like the OST myself, some great tracks in there. Tracks like Rebirth are obviously Kobayashi's work? Perhaps too many riffs here and there though.
Yeah, I think there's a little too much guitar wailing going on, but the songs that are good are REALLY good.

As a Canadian I maintain my stance of no thank you we don't need the F-22 the F/A-18 is good enough in this game as well.

Can the PAK-FA just float in mid air or something? My plane starts to stall out at 100 or 200 KPH and even then it's not enough to close the distance. Well either way that was annoying. But I guess I made it harder than it needs to be.

Finaika

Just played it. The first mission was awesome! My eyes were like O_O the whole time lol.

I really love the DFM, brings some much needed spice into the series.

Also is the game running at native 1080p? Doubt it though, probably just upscaled.

I know nothing about this game; haven't followed it or anything. Just played the previous one on 360.

Does this game still have the one-button autopilot during dogfights or is it more like the free-form combat of older combat flight sims from the 90s/early 2000s?

ctrayne

Genesis Knight said:
I know nothing about this game; haven't followed it or anything. Just played the previous one on 360.

Does this game still have the one-button autopilot during dogfights or is it more like the free-form combat of older combat flight sims from the 90s/early 2000s?
Not sure what you mean. Did I miss something? I've never seen anything like that in the older Ace Combats.

Read up on this thread for more info on Assault Horizon. The dogfight mode does help you chase, but it's not as easy as it sounds, especially later on.

AC has always straddled between arcade and sim, though, so if you are looking for something along the lines of the combat flight sims you mentioned, this probably isn't it. But it is a great game in its own regard.

Just saw some one with Mobius One gamer tag playing on live.

Edit: But ugh the online is more of a game then even the game it self. Where it's kind of pointless to play without DFM and unlocked perks and points grinding and what not.

robot

Great game so far - liking it more than 6 (which I also thought was awesome). Some may disagree, but I love how enemies take you on a rollercoaster ride when you initiate DFM. You start flying through explosions and weaving around real low to the ground.

ctrayne said:
Not sure what you mean. Did I miss something? I've never seen anything like that in the older Ace Combats.

Read up on this thread for more info on Assault Horizon. The dogfight mode does help you chase, but it's not as easy as it sounds, especially later on.

AC has always straddled between arcade and sim, though, so if you are looking for something along the lines of the combat flight sims you mentioned, this probably isn't it. But it is a great game in its own regard.
AC4/0/5/6 all had auto-pilot, IIRC. I didn't buy AH yet, so, I can't confirm it. Can you try pressing both L1/R1 for auto-pilot?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So, for the people who finished it: what is the ratio of stupid helicopter bullshit to sweet airplane hotness? This is VITAL in ensuring I bother to pick it up even heavily discounted.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
luka said:
So, for the people who finished it: what is the ratio of stupid helicopter bullshit to sweet airplane hotness? This is VITAL in ensuring I bother to pick it up even heavily discounted.
There's only like two chopper missions, going by the reviews.

Sethos

Banned
Game is really starting to get on my nerves. You are constantly in DFM ( Dogfight Mode ), whether it's yourself or somebody on your tail. Lead planes takes 4 missiles to down and regenerate in no time apparently, so they have to be taken down in DFM. Then the AI is completely oblivious to every other plane than yours, so there's usually a swarm of green / red planes on your back and everyone keeps trying to get a lock on you for DFM. So 80% of the combat is dodging and ducking, waiting to do the Switch Mode which I've done now a million times, give or take a few.

When you're in DFM, everything is so disgustingly scripted. I've seen the same "Let's fly down in the canyon here, a friendly AI takes out the second plane in front of you while you take the one behind" sequence like 6 times in 10 minutes.

And I remember the old Ace Combat games having a nice mix of planes / ground kill action, mixed in with some crazy planes or events. Few hours in and it's just a billion planes and a bunch of "Press Y" scripted sequences, sprinkled with cutscenes.

What have they done ...

Sethos said:
What have they done ...
They made another ace combat game, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: It's just a shame there aren't any super weapons, or flying fortress or narrow tunnels to fly through.

ram

Sethos said:
Game is really starting to get on my nerves. You are constantly in DFM ( Dogfight Mode ), whether it's yourself or somebody on your tail. Lead planes takes 4 missiles to down and regenerate in no time apparently, so they have to be taken down in DFM. Then the AI is completely oblivious to every other plane than yours, so there's usually a swarm of green / red planes on your back and everyone keeps trying to get a lock on you for DFM. So 80% of the combat is dodging and ducking, waiting to do the Switch Mode which I've done now a million times, give or take a few.

When you're in DFM, everything is so disgustingly scripted. I've seen the same "Let's fly down in the canyon here, a friendly AI takes out the second plane in front of you while you take the one behind" sequence like 6 times in 10 minutes.

And I remember the old Ace Combat games having a nice mix of planes / ground kill action, mixed in with some crazy planes or events. Few hours in and it's just a billion planes and a bunch of "Press Y" scripted sequences, sprinkled with cutscenes.

What have they done ...

you have a point - i dont like DFM at all - because it is overused and too much scripted. also deaths in the game are mostly cheap. because i fail opn a scripted no-errorallowed-sequence or in DFM when i cant see shit and some lead firing one missle in my back. also, i dont like the fact with regenerable health - where the challenge (playing on normal)?

but at least the bombing run with the stealth fighter was the best mission with such a target in any ace combat game.

It would be better if the controls would switch up when you enter DFM mode. It's practically impossible to play online with original controls, even if the default ones feel like shit.

MechaX

I was browsing around to see what the online was like and apparently some... interesting things have been going on. Like abusing DFM glitches, planes actually camping via glitches, etc.

MechaX said:
I was browsing around to see what the online was like and apparently some... interesting things have been going on. Like abusing DFM glitches, planes actually camping via glitches, etc.
Yeah the online is kind of screwed up in a really insane way. If only they gave you some more room options like disable DFM along with skills and other nonsense. Then I could see some kind of hardcore MP following. Right now it's just kind of broken and insane.

Seriously don't play online with original controls. You are only punishing your self.

Forsete

Gold Member
Ugh I hate the L2+R2 thingy to shoot down "squad leaders". Is there a way to disable it? I would rather use my skills to shoot down enemies.

AC04 is still the best game in the series (I havent played the 360 game though).

SkylineRKR

I enjoy this by quite a bit although the game is not without its faults.

First of all, I like the flow of the campaign. Its rather serious and imo well written for such a game. Whats gone is the Japanese bullshit about hating war, singing and dancing with angels. Such rubbish is finally gone. This is probably the least pretentious AC since the second game.

The variation is present and its not that bad so far. The airplane missions actually took the most of my time. The infamous chopper mission and the other non-airplane missions I played felt shorter than those. I always beat past AC's on the hard difficulty, but I started this on normal because the demo didn't feel to be all that easy. And so far I do die here and there. I do get bogeys, and I do eat missiles. In past AC's I almost had to beg enemies to fire at me. Therefore I don't mind the health regen as well, I doubt if I would survive if it wasn't there as the missions are packed and not short.

DFM, I actually don't like it. The scriptedness is too obvious. But sadly it seems to be impossible to sail through without using this. I do shoot a lot of planes down the old school way but some just seem to scream 'DFM me!'. What I do like though is that counter attack during a bogey, that feature doesn't really get old.

Another thing that seems to be the case is that there is no reason to replay a mission. Unless i'm mistaken there are no hidden aces and medals to be had in here.

ram

SkylineRKR said:
I enjoy this by quite a bit although the game is not without its faults.

First of all, I like the flow of the campaign. Its rather serious and imo well written for such a game. Whats gone is the Japanese bullshit about hating war, singing and dancing with angels. Such rubbish is finally gone. This is probably the least pretentious AC since the second game.

hurray for another gritty call of duty war story. sorry pal, but i liked the japanese beackground and its philosophity about flying more than such generic stuff.

ram said:
hurray for another gritty call of duty war story. sorry pal, but i liked the japanese beackground and its philosophity about flying more than such generic stuff.
I agree with skyline. The main chick from AC6 sounded as if she was reciting poetry every time she spoke.

legacyzero

Banned
ram said:
AC6 story was horrible.

I agree. AC4, AC0, and AC5 stories were amazing.

MechaX

ram said:

AC4 and 0 were like "war kinda sucks" but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. AC5 was set on maximum cheese, but against the odds it manages to actually pull of off.

AC6 was just absolutely terrible with it, though.

ctrayne

legacyzero said:
AC6 story was horrible.
I agree. AC4, AC0, and AC5 stories were amazing.
Looking back, I used to like AC5 the most, but AC Zero just has its bases covered and is great in every way.

AC6's story could have been decent, but it was written, acted, and presented very poorly. Assault Horizon outdoes AC6's story in every way. And it's really not that Call of Duty-ish. It's far more level-headed than any CoD game I've played - nothing in the story would be out of place in an old Ace Combat - and in fact, one could argue the opposite, seeing as older AC games had silent main characters just like Call of Duty does. The main character is Assault Horizon is not bad at all, he's really quite calm and collected and a decent person, and the minor sub-plot about
facing his nightmare
is kind of cool when it comes up again.

There's no actual QTE events in AH either, just an occasional "press Y to look at this thing/do this thing", never anything else. While I understand some of the legitimate gameplay concerns and tastes, it also seems like people just want to find reasons hate the game.

Hopefully people don't mistake my posts about Assault Horizon as something they aren't. All I'm saying is that it is a good, fun game. It's not as good as the PS2 trilogy, but it is good for what it set out to be.

Top Bottom