• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Damnit no 3D vision. Everything else was perfect. I can't see why this doesn't support 3d vision, nvidia better patch that shit in.

Will be keeping on eye on it nonetheless.

Dezzy

Wow that blurbusters picture is really impressive with the normal overdrive setting.

I'm guessing it'll have some silly price though :\
I fucking HATE my new monitor, piece of shit is worse than I ever imagined it could be, I want something better...

What monitor is it?

I have a 1440p monitor with no internal upscaler and I use it for consoles.

Admittedly, the solution (a low-latency capture card and the right software) is a bit complex and rather costly, but it has nice benefits (e.g. running in a window, screenshots/video capture, alt-tab, postprocessing, full control over scaling, hell even the steam overlay over your console games if you want :p).

Curious which capture card you're using. I've been looking for a low latency capture card for this exact reason but the best I could find was an avermedia card with ~300ms of latency which was unplayable.

nib95

Banned
As much as input lag etc is amazing, still disappointed we're not getting even better black levels and contrast. For a PC monitor it still performs fairly solid in this department though. Might consider picking one up later down the line.

Dammit! Just bought the ROG Swift. xD Really pleased with it even though it's a TN panel though.

I don't feel too bad about missing this monitor since I can't stand Acer's ugly and thick bezels.

Durante

Hmm...
I'll buy a used second generation one. Looks nice though!

A bit hard for me to justify spending that much when my beautiful TN 120Hz is doing okay :p
Oxymoron :p

As much as input lag etc is amazing, still disappointed we're not getting even better black levels and contrast. For a PC monitor it still performs fairly solid in this department though. Might consider picking one up later down the line.
Well, it's the best contrast you could expect from an IPS panel. So I'm not disappointed really, or rather, I got my disappointment in when no VA monitors with higher refresh rates were announced.

Naedtrax

Banned
Glad this one hit it out of the park. My ROG Swift has been in RMA for over a month now and i got a call saying i get a full refund. Now i can put it towards the acer xb270hu :D

What benefits does this have over the monitor i currently have (ROG Swift) ?

I've had to RMA the damn thing once already so if my new one dies i will be looking elsewhere for an equal or better screen.

Up till now i think the Swift was top of the pile so i'd like to know what change i would see between these two screens.

Cheers bros :)

d0g_bear

The main competition I see on the horizon for this monitor is the ASUS MG279Q - it's also IPS, 120hz, and is displayport 1.2a+ copmliant so it should support freesync although it's not specifically branded that way. It's also a lot cheaper - 599 USD. IMO the bezel and stand are sexier as well - looks pretty much like the swift.
good video here. I hate that I now have to decide on an allegiance with red team or green team with my monitor purchase. I hope nvidia gives up and supports generic adaptive sync.

I've had to RMA the damn thing once already so if my new one dies i will be looking elsewhere for an equal or better screen.

Up till now i think the Swift was top of the pile so i'd like to know what change i would see between these two screens.

It's an IPS panel. If your not familiar with these, it means the colors are more beautiful, and don't wash out towards to edges or at angles. It's a big difference, and one your really need to see for yourself to understand.

Evo X

Anyone got an ETA on that supposed 3440x1440 IPS GSync panel?

Not sure if this is different enough to justify the hassle of selling my ROG Swift.

riflen

It's an IPS panel. If your not familiar with these, it means the colors are more beautiful, and don't wash out towards to edges or at angles. It's a big difference, and one your really need to see for yourself to understand.

Additionally, the differences between the PG278Q and this display are:

-PG278Q has better response time overall (a few milliseconds), but performs slightly worse with regards to stability of images in motion with normal overdrive at 144Hz.
-XB270HU has 29% better contrast ratio than PG278Q.
-XB270HU has much better viewing angles. Much more viable in portrait mode because of this.
-PG278Q supports ULMB mode at 85Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz. XB270HU supports ULMB at 85Hz and 100Hz.
-PG278Q supports Nvidia 3D vision.

PG278Q Response with Normal overdrive at 144Hz
16023611203_1845acdc6c_o.png

16021209134_0d8fc5aa36_o.png

XB270HU Response with Normal overdrive at 144Hz
16642087891_b926018c24_o.png

16436216297_a11f398b29_o.png

Overshoot will probably manifest as ghosting of objects in motion. Both displays are excellent in this regard though.
Please read the reviews at tftcentral. We should be encouraging thorough, in-depth display reviews like these. PG278Q review. XB270HU review.

Durante

I actually donated to tftcentral after reading this review. I've used their reviews a lot in the past and they are easily among the best.

riflen

I actually donated to tftcentral after reading this review. I've used their reviews a lot in the past and they are easily among the best.

Good stuff. I donated last year for their PG278Q review. Definitely one of the best places to read about displays.

What monitor is it?

Was sleeping.
A benq RL2455hm
low input lag 'low response time' 60 hz 1080p TN panel

It was affordable (160 euros) as I really didn't want to spend more on a TN panel and ips are more blurry (well except for the one in the OP)

But the image quality is sooo bad, the colors suck even after some calibration (default settings were super washed out and retina burning bright) , everything looks kind of oversharpened even with sharpness set to 0, viewing angles are terrible, contrast is terrible.
I get so much tearing in games too which my 85hz crt did not suffer nearly as much from.
Not sure why that is, lower refresh rate makes it way more noticable or idk.

And the motion quality is awful, way worse than I expected (overshoot from overdrive + sample and hold blur being worse than I expected)

The only redeeming thing is it has 10 ms input lag which makes it decent enough for shooters etc to control well.

It's an eyesore to look at.

Durante

Åesop;153610736 said:
What about Input Lag ?
Depends on what you mean by input lag.

One common definition is processing lag, which is 0.25ms on this screen.
Another common definition is processing lag + 1/2 b/w switching time, which is 3ms on the XB270HU.

In either case, the answer is fucking low.

Additionally, the differences between the PG278Q and this display are:

-PG278Q has better response time overall (a few milliseconds), but performs slightly worse with regards to stability of images in motion with normal overdrive at 144Hz.
-XB270HU has 29% better contrast ratio than PG278Q.
-XB270HU has much better viewing angles. Much more viable in portrait mode because of this.
-PG278Q supports ULMB mode at 85Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz. XB270HU supports ULMB at 85Hz and 100Hz.

PG278Q Response with Normal overdrive at 144Hz
16023611203_1845acdc6c_o.png

16021209134_0d8fc5aa36_o.png

XB270HU Response with Normal overdrive at 144Hz
16642087891_b926018c24_o.png

16436216297_a11f398b29_o.png

Overshoot will probably manifest as ghosting of objects in motion. Both displays are excellent in this regard though.
Please read the reviews at tftcentral. We should be encouraging thorough, in-depth display reviews like these. PG278Q review. XB270HU review.

Many thanks dude, i can always count on you :)

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on what you mean by input lag.

One common definition is processing lag, which is 0.25ms on this screen.
Another common definition is processing lag + 1/2 b/w switching time, which is 3ms on the XB270HU.

In either case, the answer is fucking low.

wtf amazing.. yeah input lag = processing lag where i come from. b/w switching time is respone time/ reaction speed for me

Grief.exe

Good stuff. I donated last year for their PG278Q review. Definitely one of the best places to read about displays.

TFT Central has to be the best review outlet for monitors.

Generally, reviews for monitors just regurgitate the marketing information. TFT backs everything up with objective numbers, and they go in to clear detail.

Acer should put that on the box :)

Monitor manufacturers generally don't advertise total lag or processing lag, they just mention the G2G value in their marketing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oxymoron :p

Well, it's the best contrast you could expect from an IPS panel. So I'm not disappointed really, or rather, I got my disappointment in when no VA monitors with higher refresh rates were announced.
Hey I don't get color banding THAT often. ;)

GoaThief

Lovely!

Bit out of my price range for a small monitor that won't be used an awful lot though. Looking forward to seeing cheaper but still decent G-sync panels, if they ever happen.

laxu

Most people probably haven't used the ASUS. I compared it side to side with a Dell IPS and other than sRGB gamut there was nothing wrong with the colors. The ASUS is a proper 8-bit TN panel and in normal use (sitting in front of it) it has no issues with viewing angles. You only get color shift if you stand up from your chair. Even watching it from the sides is not bad at all.

The ASUS has a slight edge for gaming and what seems to be a slightly better OSD (don't know if the Acer supports separate settings for ULMB mode for example and it doesn't seem to have a quick way to change refresh rate) while the Acer has better viewing angles and contrast ratio plus some USB ports.

It remains to be seen if the Acer has quality control issues like the ASUS has (mine is thankfully near perfect) but it seems like a great display and if I didn't have the ASUS already I would probably grab the Acer.

NeoFaff

It remains to be seen if the Acer has quality control issues like the ASUS has (mine is thankfully near perfect) but it seems like a great display and if I didn't have the ASUS already I would probably grab the Acer.

To be fair nearly every monitor better than the cheap 1080p TNs has quality control problems. Dead pixels, bad/no calibration, uneven backlight, big colour variances between 2 of the same model, inherent problems with the tech (like ips being hard to manufacture for 120+ refresh rates), you name it :p

There's also people's expectations rising proportionally to price, so minor issues become more glaring.

mkenyon

Banned
Ahhhhhhhhh!

I didn't see this the first time through. Count me out.

Here's hoping one of the others will give me some strobing option at 120Hz.

Richgard

Neo Member
Pre-ordered it
I think it is a significant upgrade to my Asus VG236H wich starts to feel relly old lately
Reasons for ordering are
Old New
TN IPS
120hz 144hz
V-Sync G-Sync
1080p 1440p
no USB Hub USB3 hub
no ULMB ULMB
23inch 27inch

I will post my user expirence as soon as possible

Pre-ordered it
I think it is a significant upgrade to my Asus VG236H wich starts to feel relly old lately
Reasons for ordering are
Old New
TN IPS
120hz 144hz
V-Sync G-Sync
1080p 1440p
no USB Hub USB3 hub
no ULMB ULMB
23inch 27inch

I will post my user expirence as soon as possible

Where'd you preorder it from?

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
It's listed for 750€ at a German retailer.

Damnit...I've been waiting for a 100hz(+) IPS monitor and this one even got G-sync...but I'm not sure that price justifies it.

That being said...I'll probably change my mind and get it anyway later this year. Thanks for the info!

Momentary

Banned
Don't they usually do a 1 to 1 conversion for the USD? That would make it $750. That's a steal in America if you ask me. I probably wouldn't even think of getting anything else until 8K 120hz IPS monitors hit the street at sub $1000 (I was going to say 4K, but nowing how tech is flying that would be out in the streets by the end of 2016).

This will be my next 6 year monitor. That's about how long I've had this ASUS VW246.

SliChillax

Don't they usually do a 1 to 1 conversion for the USD? That would make it $750. That's a steal in America if you ask me. I probably wouldn't even think of getting anything else until 8K 120hz IPS monitors hit the street at sub $1000 (I was going to say 4K, but nowing how tech is flying that would be out in the streets by the end of 2016).

This will be my next 6 year monitor. That's about how long I've had this ASUS VW246.

That wasn't the case with the Rog Swift if I remember correctly.

This is so perfect. Pending Acer's availability, I can now sell my ROG Swift locally instead of taking it with me when I move sometime in late summer.

d00d3n

I am thinking of buying this instead of a Titan X. Seems like it will retain value better thinking a year or so ahead. Shoddy performance in new games will be smoothed out by g-sync, mitigating the everpresent SLI compatibility issues I am experiencing with my 780 sli setup. My only fear is that the low contrast will bother me with the new monitor placed beside my Eizo fg2421 ...

Top Bottom