• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

astonish

I'm also sad this doesn't have 3D vision. I was a big fan of 3D Vision though it never really got the support it needed, but even a handful of experiences alone (Batman, Trine, Skyrim) were worth the cost of admission. My naive intuition says all the technical requirements to have it work are there (using a USB emitter), so it seems like a missed checkbox.

On the other hand, I suppose with the low support of 3D vision and VR about to fill the role of that additional immersion I'd rather a high PQ/1GSync 2D monitor going forward anyway. Been using 3D vision less and less over time even on the titles that support it.

Richgard

Neo Member
So my Monitor has arrived and it's amazing!

I've tested it for 3 days now and one thing is for shure, I don't want to go back to my old monitor the difference in image quality from the IPS is amazing, the image quality that comes with G-sync in comparison to V-Sync on and off is amazing, no more V-Sync Stutter no more frame screen tearing finally, the higher resolution looks amazing an gives a good boost in image quality too. Keep in mind that those are my expirencences. But I guess that anyone who owned a TN 1080p no G-Sync monitor before will have a simular feeling if not slighliy more amazing if they come from 60Hz one.

It is the most significant upgrade to my PC since buying an SSD.

Richgard

Neo Member
addendum:

I think i will not buy a VR headset until it supports G-Sync.(or Freesync if it works with nvidia GPUs) I think it is the best way to enjoy games and I can't imagine VR with V-Sync Stutter or Screen Tearing.

Durante

I've tested it for 3 days now and one thing is for shure, I don't want to go back to my old monitor the difference in image quality from the IPS is amazing, the image quality that comes with G-sync in comparison to V-Sync on and off is amazing, no more V-Sync Stutter no more frame screen tearing finally, the higher resolution looks amazing an gives a good boost in image quality too. Keep in mind that those are my expirencences. But I guess that anyone who owned a TN 1080p no G-Sync monitor before will have a simular feeling if not slighliy more amazing if they come from 60Hz one.

Did you have a chance yet to test the strobing modes? I'm especially curious if there is any flicker at 85Hz strobing.

Where did you order it from?

addendum:

I think i will not buy a VR headset until it supports G-Sync.(or Freesync if it works with nvidia GPUs) I think it is the best way to enjoy games and I can't imagine VR with V-Sync Stutter or Screen Tearing.

Vsync is basically required for VR. Gsync doesn't exactly make sense for VR. The Rift Runtime will always be outputting at the required framerate, if a games' frame does not make it in time, it then performs interpolation using the latest head position and rotation, while still outputting to the headset at the required framerate. Vanilla Gsync would cause nausea. It's great for monitors, not VR.

Jimrpg

Where did you order it from?

I think he mentioned that he ordered it from alternate.de

Richgard - are you also from Germany?

I've decided to bite the bullet and also getting this too for my new PC, how do you guys feel about ordering hardware online? I'm just worried that there's something wrong with it and I have to send it back which would be a total pain in the ass especially since I live in Malaysia and have to send it back to say Amazon in the US. Also I doubt Malaysia is getting this monitor anytime soon so online is the only way for me to get it.

Richgard

Neo Member
Did you have a chance yet to test the strobing modes? I'm especially curious if there is any flicker at 85Hz strobing.
It flickers a littel bit with ULMB active @85Hz but to be honest I don‘t use it very much I enjoy G-Sync even at framrates of 100+

Jimrpg

It flickers a littel bit with ULMB active @85Hz but to be honest I don‘t use it very much I enjoy G-Sync even at framrates of 100+

What graphics card have you got Richgard?

Also to everybody else - do you think the GTX 970 will be ok for this monitor? Overclocking it will hopefully get it to stock GTX980 performance, so I don't see a reason to get a GTX980 and I won't be shelling out for a Titan X.

Richgard

Neo Member
I think he mentioned that he ordered it from alternate.de

Richgard - are you also from Germany?

I've decided to bite the bullet and also getting this too for my new PC, how do you guys feel about ordering hardware online? I'm just worried that there's something wrong with it and I have to send it back which would be a total pain in the ass especially since I live in Malaysia and have to send it back to say Amazon in the US. Also I doubt Malaysia is getting this monitor anytime soon so online is the only way for me to get it.

Yes I orderd from alternate.de and Iam from Germany.
I don't know if i would order the monitor if you can‘t give it back within 14days. There is always the risk of pixelfailure esspecially
On a model with a new panel technology.
I order most of my electronics online so I would say go for it if you have the right to give it back within 14days

Jimrpg

Yes I orderd from alternate.de and Iam from Germany.
I don't know if i would order the monitor if you can‘t give it back within 14days. There is always the risk of pixelfailure esspecially
On a model with a new panel technology.
I order most of my electronics online so I would say go for it if you have the right to give it back within 14days

Cool!

Yep that would be the worst having to send a panel back for dead pixels.

Unfortunately where I live, there's not much choice in gaming monitors! It's either that or the overpriced BenQ XL2420Z for US$500. 1080p, 144hz, but TN and no G-Sync.

Richgard

Neo Member
What graphics card have you got Richgard?

Also to everybody else - do you think the GTX 970 will be ok for this monitor? Overclocking it will hopefully get it to stock GTX980 performance, so I don't see a reason to get a GTX980 and I won't be shelling out for a Titan X.
I’ve got a GTX690. Ihink Our graphiccard is ok for the monitor if you get a little lower on some effects. You can test it with a bit of powerlose by useing either DSR from Nvidia or GeDoSaTo

Richgard

Neo Member
Cool!

Unfortunately where I live, there's not much choice in gaming monitors! It's either that or the overpriced BenQ XL2420Z for US$500. 1080p, 144hz, but TN and no G-Sync.
Then go for it like i said earlier it is amazing

JayDub

When GPUs finally give us at or over 120hz at 1080p, on GPUs priced below $600, this fucking industry starts trumpeting 1440p as the new standard.

Fuck that shit. No. The GTX 980 (up until 2 weeks ago, best single GPU) does not "utterly destroy everything thrown at it" at 1440p. Its getting 50-60fps on the highest setting at 1080p (with AA, cause, really, who doesn't use AA?) on DA: I. For a game released last fall, this GPU is just cutting it.

At 1440p? 30-40. I do not want to go SLI all the time.

"Oh JayDub, buy 1080p monitors than," point is, all mainstream monitors are hitting 1440p. This monitor is fucking fantastic, but GTFO if you think one GPU is going to get us 120hz at that resolution for the recent games released, not even going to start about upcoming games.

Renekton

When GPUs finally give us at or over 120hz at 1080p, on GPUs priced below $600, this fucking industry starts trumpeting 1440p as the new standard.

Fuck that shit. No. The GTX 980 (up until 2 weeks ago, best single GPU) does not "utterly destroy everything thrown at it" at 1440p. Its getting 50-60fps on the highest setting at 1080p (with AA, cause, really, who doesn't use AA?) on DA: I. For a game released last fall, this GPU is just cutting it.
I don't get your rant... part of the point of G-Sync is to make 1440p 30-50fps acceptable.

Richgard

Neo Member

"Oh JayDub, buy 1080p monitors than," point is, all mainstream monitors are hitting 1440p. This monitor is fucking fantastic, but GTFO if you think one GPU is going to get us 120hz at that resolution for the recent games released, not even going to start about upcoming games.

I see where you coming from but I can tell you from my expirence G-Sync lessens the impact an sub 60 framerate has especially in a normal singleplayer game.

The 144Hz and the framrate bonuses that come with it are more imapctful in multiplayergames like CS:GO or L4D2 etc. and there the framrate is achivebel and usefull not to speak of the many popular RTS and Dota style Games where the comination of G-sync and a high framrate makes a real diffrence, if you change the camera posion.
If you dont belive me you can see it in this video: Nvidia G-Sync in Anno 2070

Increasing standards in PC gaming is suddenly a bad thing, okay. It is not like we have been at 1080P for maaaaaaany years and pretty much every other type of display than monitors was getting much more advancement.

And I think there are still plenty of monitors 1080P if you really feel you need that.

G-Sync makes it matter less anyway.

Durante

As someone who has been using 1440p for 3 years or so I wouldn't mind if this monitor was 4k. Then again, I don't play many "AAA" games, and I don't have a "max settings or bust" compulsion :p

Also, the vast (vast) majority of all monitors are still 1080p. I really don't get this complaint.

Richgard

Neo Member
Cool!

Then go for it like i said earlier it is amazing

Jimrpg

Hopefully the Digital Foundry review for the GTX970 holds true, as it says that most games that they tested can be run at 1440p 50-60fps at high settings. I just dont' want to get the card and find out that within a year I'm down to less than 30fps. While I'd love a Titan X, I think the pricing is a bit out of reach for the average gamer... and the money would be better spent on another $300-500 card in a couple of years.

Wish this monitor would come out! Sounds like its still not going to be in the US until April.

Doikor

Increasing standards in PC gaming is suddenly a bad thing, okay. It is not like we have been at 1080P for maaaaaaany years and pretty much every other type of display than monitors was getting much more advancement.

And I think there are still plenty of monitors 1080P if you really feel you need that.

G-Sync makes it matter less anyway.

Also 27" 1080p looks like shit. The pixels start to get too noticeable which no amount of AA is going to fix for you. Also there is the desktop usage advantages of having a higher resolution. Basically 1440p is now the standard on bigger displays but smaller displays are still 1080p and really there isn't reason to bump up the resolution on those (you won't really see the difference and things in desktop get too small without scaling which is still a problem with a lot of apps in windows)

Richgard

Neo Member
Hopefully the Digital Foundry review for the GTX970 holds true, as it says that most games that they tested can be run at 1440p 50-60fps at high settings. I just dont' want to get the card and find out that within a year I'm down to less than 30fps. While I'd love a Titan X, I think the pricing is a bit out of reach for the average gamer... and the money would be better spent on another $300-500 card in a couple of years.

Wish this monitor would come out! Sounds like its still not going to be in the US until April.

Have you already bought the GTX 970 because the GTX980 is only about 100$ more and it seems like an nice upgrade.
The following review shoud give you an nive overview on the framerate in diffrent scenarios

I have a 1440p monitor with no internal upscaler and I use it for consoles.

Admittedly, the solution (a low-latency capture card and the right software) is a bit complex and rather costly, but it has nice benefits (e.g. running in a window, screenshots/video capture, alt-tab, postprocessing, full control over scaling, hell even the steam overlay over your console games if you want :p).

The thought of using ReShade or GeDoSaTo effects on console games just blew my fucking mind.

Durante

I think I've almost settled on buying this one, black level or not. Just need to wait for Amazon to get it in stock.

Jimrpg

Have you already bought the GTX 970 because the GTX980 is only about 100$ more and it seems like an nice upgrade.
The following review shoud give you an nive overview on the framerate in diffrent scenarios

I haven't bought it yet but I was thinking I would go with the Gigabyte GTX G1 Gaming which has a factory overclock of about 1300Mhz and maybe this will get me close enough to stock GTX980 performance.

A stock GTX970 retails for RM1200 (US$328), GTX 970 G1 RM1500 (US$410) and a GTX980 is RM2300 (US$629), so those are my options at the moment. The GTX980 is a little bit more expensive for extra performance I may not need or see. (I'm just newb PC gamer anyways.)

Durante

Any ETA on when this will go on sale?
Well, one German retailer already has it.

I think the last official word we had was "April".

I haven't bought it yet but I was thinking I would go with the Gigabyte GTX G1 Gaming which has a factory overclock of about 1300Mhz and maybe this will get me close enough to stock GTX980 performance.

A stock GTX970 retails for RM1200 (US$328), GTX 970 G1 RM1500 (US$410) and a GTX980 is RM2300 (US$629), so those are my options at the moment. The GTX980 is a little bit more expensive for extra performance I may not need or see. (I'm just newb PC gamer anyways.)
In terms of price/performance a 970 is a much better deal than a 980.

hesido

Also, 0.25 ms of processing lag.

0.25 ms

I get the feeling a bit that monitor manufacturers never even really tried before NV showed them that there is a market for high-end gaming-focused monitors.

That's practically a CRT.

(Add response time to it but it's practically unimportant below a certain treshold)

What is the response time processing lag for non-native resolutions?

That's practically a CRT.

(Add response time to it but it's practically unimportant below a certain treshold)

What is the response time for non-native resolutions?

Shouldn't non native scaling be performed on the GPU ? (i.e. set up in NVCP?) This would be negligible I imagine.

hesido

Shouldn't non native scaling be performed on the GPU ? (i.e. set up in NVCP?) This would be negligible I imagine.

I guess so. Since this bad boy only seems to have a displayPort, you would probably not be able to connect anything today that can't output 1440p.

Fuck. I need to buy this, don't I?

Kind of a bummer 3D Vision isn't in though. I'm not using it to often but it can be nice in certain games/movies.

hesido

Fuck. I need to buy this, don't I?

Kind of a bummer 3D Vision isn't in though. I'm not using it to often but it can be nice in certain games/movies.

Spare your 3d experiences for your VR headset, yo. (Yeah, I know they be not same)

I guess so. Since this bad boy only seems to have a displayPort, you would probably not be able to connect anything today that can't output 1440p.

AFAIK g-sync module doesn't have scaler - that's part of that 0,25 ms magic (basic "no free meals" princle applies here too :) ) - so if you send non native signal it will be displayed 1:1 on screen so you will have black borders.

Only way to scale it by using gpu scalling.

This monitor seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. But I'll wait for the official reviews and prices of the next AMD cards before choosing between G-sync and Free-sync.

Durante

AFAIK g-sync module doesn't have scaler - that's part of that 0,25 ms magic (basic "no free meals" princle applies here too :) ) - so if you send non native signal it will be displayed 1:1 on screen so you will have black borders.

Only way to scale it by using gpu scalling.
The thing is, every GPU which can take advantage of G-sync will be better and faster at scaling stuff than a monitor could ever be.

So this makes sense to me.

To be honest I prefer IPS panels over VA panels.

On VA panels there exists this color blurring that's apparent in darker areas with a lot of blacks, greys and dark blues.

It's hard to explain. But you see it when the camera pans quickly in those types of environments.

sk3tch

FYI - store.acer.com has them - coupon SeizeTheIdea saves you $80. Two-day shipping is $35 and tax is charged (it's sold via Digital River).

Just ordered one.

EDIT: sold out.

Top Bottom