• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Dreathlock

I feel the same way. I'm expecting moving up to 1440p with G-Sync to feel next gen.

What PC specs do you have?

Man, I got Amazon Global Priority Shipping, I'm in Malaysia, the monitor started in Florida and had stops in Kentucky and Alaska.... hope its not been thrown around too much...

I have a GTX 780 and an i5 2500k@4,4.
I was upgrading from a 21:9 LG 29" 60Hz.
It´s the best PC upgrade i did since the SSD.

Man... my 21 inch Dell IPS is starting to feel a little long in the tooth and this monitor is looking awfully tempting, especially since Newegg has it in stock and playing The Witcher 3 on it seems like it would be pretty cool.

Question is would a single 970 power most games at 1440p reasonably well? I guess with Gsync it would even "feel" ok if games were running at a lower framerate than 1080p, if I'm understanding Gsync right.

How would using it in a multi-monitor setup work though? Say I wanted to keep my 21 inch monitor hooked up to my 970 plus the Acer XB270HU, would that screw things up between the two since the Acer is 144Hz and Gsync? I wouldn't be using the 21 inch for multimonitor gaming or anything but probably just for more screen real estate when browsing or doing work.

impact

Banned
My XB270Hu should come today, but brwosing trough the Amazon.de reviews the backlight bleeding problem is massive. I hope i get a good one, but if there is bleeding or dead pixels i will definetely send it back. A 750€ monitor should not have problems like this.

2 examples from customers:

61HFM-8GtfL.jpg

71rU7dz8g5L.jpg

I will report back how mine turns out.

jesus christ

there's always something wrong with one of these sick monitors :/ I'll just wait for a better make/model

jesus christ

there's always something wrong with one of these sick monitors :/ I'll just wait for a better make/model

IPS seem to always have some sort of excessive glow or backlight bleed issues.

when buying these monitors, it's quite typical [ed: or seems to be, at the least] to have to RMA them until you get a good model.

went through three with my Dell U2713HM until i got one i could stick with.

thinking heavily on replacing it with one of these now - variable framerates & vsync-based issues are aplenty when gaming at 1440p...

mr stroke

After a day of use I am pretty impressed

+
+144hz w/Gsync is fantastic, so smooth and fluctuating FPS is unnoticeable
+IPS w/great viewing angles
+1440p
+easy user menus
+Very little back light bleed(at least on my model)
+Minimal IPS glow

-
-Average to poor colors(blacks are average at best)
-Matte screen
-Too small, really needs to be 30-32" IMO

Overall this is the best "gaming monitor" at the moment. If it was bigger, 21:9, and curved it would be near perfect.

Durante

-Average to poor colors(blacks are average at best)
I don't really get what you mean by "poor colors", the monitor covers sRGB pretty damn well according to all reviews.

The blacks though, well, it's IPS :( ... as I said in the OP "that's still rather shitty in the grand scheme of things".

luffeN

I don't really get what you mean by "poor colors", the monitor covers sRGB pretty damn well according to all reviews.

The blacks though, well, it's IPS :( ... as I said in the OP "that's still rather shitty in the grand scheme of things".

Is this nitpicking on the highest level? I switched from a TN panel to an IPS panel and the colors are awesome! Is there any way to see if I have "good blacks"?

x3sphere

Is this nitpicking on the highest level? I switched from a TN panel to an IPS panel and the colors are awesome! Is there any way to see if I have "good blacks"?

I don't think it's nitpicking, blacks are noticeably better on a good VA panel, to the point where IPS blacks look almost grey next to one.

However the gamma shift on VA bothers me, at least for daily desktop use. For a monitor that would be exclusively used for gaming - I'd prefer VA. Otherwise, IPS is the best all around panel technology, well until OLED monitors arrive. Either way both are better than TN

Jimrpg

Man... my 21 inch Dell IPS is starting to feel a little long in the tooth and this monitor is looking awfully tempting, especially since Newegg has it in stock and playing The Witcher 3 on it seems like it would be pretty cool.

Question is would a single 970 power most games at 1440p reasonably well? I guess with Gsync it would even "feel" ok if games were running at a lower framerate than 1080p, if I'm understanding Gsync right.

How would using it in a multi-monitor setup work though? Say I wanted to keep my 21 inch monitor hooked up to my 970 plus the Acer XB270HU, would that screw things up between the two since the Acer is 144Hz and Gsync? I wouldn't be using the 21 inch for multimonitor gaming or anything but probably just for more screen real estate when browsing or doing work.

Should be similar to a 780 and seems like that runs well according to the poster above. I've got a 970 so I'm looking forward to testing it out. I think it will be fine for a year or so and then I'll prolly upgrade to something that runs 1440p better. The Titan X is too expensive for now and 980 doesn't offer enough performance advantage to upgrade.

jesus christ

If they've taken the photo with their phone it makes it look way worse than real life. Also TFTcentral recommends brightness at 24, and these photos maybe taken at full brightness. I guess early adopters want things perfect though.

impact

Banned
If they've taken the photo with their phone it makes it look way worse than real life. Also TFTcentral recommends brightness at 24, and these photos maybe taken at full brightness. I guess early adopters want things perfect though.

BLB is fucking awful even if it's not severe. Would never pay this kind of cash for a monitor with such high frequencies of BLB issues. Seems everyone of the panels at least has it a bit.

mr stroke

Colors and blacks on this monitor are average at best. Nothing pops and the blacks are more grey than black, this probably has more to do with the IPS tech and a matte panel than Acers production it's self. Are the colors decent for an IPS panel? Yes, but next to a VA panel or a plasma or OLED or CRT the colors look washed out and the blacks are poor.

Bubba77

I have the 1080p version of this monitor and I can confirm terrible edge light bleeding. I called customer support around 40 days after buying and they told me I could send it in to be fixed. That required me to be without a monitor for at least 2 weeks so I decided to just deal with it....dont give your old monitor away the second you get a new one!

Besides that I love the monitor.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
jesus christ

Just a guess, but I'm thinking a lot or most IPS suffer from this. I bought the dell 27 inch, the uh27 or something, the $700 one. I had amazon send me two of them and they both had the exact same horrific yellow light bleed, as well as the blacks looking like this freakish flickery grey. It was like when you look at an lcd screen from an extreme angle and the blacks invert to that weird bluish flickery grey, but all the blacks looked like that. It was pretty abysmal since my cheapo ~$90 tn had better colors and blacks.

I dono, I guess IPS just isn't for me.

Are there any kind of technological issues preventing OLED monitors from existing other than cost? The 55 inch OLED 1080P tvs have dropped to around 2000 dollars and 4K ones at least exist
9K baby

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Swapped my 32" Benq VA 1440p panel at work with one of these. Never could get that one to look quite right, regardless of the calibration. This Acer though is out of this world. The 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitors I've used in the past never left me feeling like I couldn't go back - mainly due to the low res and bad panels. The panel is what I'd expect from a half decent IPS - which is to say 100x nicer than any TN I've ever encountered. Pairs nicely with a Titan X :D

I tried playing some Dirt Rally at home after playing a bunch on the Acer at work this week and it felt like I was stepping back in time.

mr stroke

Are there any kind of technological issues preventing OLED monitors from existing other than cost? The 55 inch OLED 1080P tvs have dropped to around 2000 dollars and 4K ones at least exist
9K baby

Burn in and input lag l, though I am sure once cost comes down we could see OLED monitors at some point

Tilian

Banned
I really want to upgrade to GSYNC & 144Hz with this monitor, but I need something for my PS4 as well. (I can't run the PS4 elsewhere.)

Is there a satisfactory solution to having 1) GSYNC 144HZ for PC and 2) 1080p for PS4 in the same monitor?

I'm considering the XB270HU's little cousin, the XB270H Abprz. Would this monitor work if I got a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter for the PS4?

Cheers.

I really want to upgrade to GSYNC & 144Hz with this monitor, but I need something for my PS4 as well. (I can't run the PS4 elsewhere.)

Is there a satisfactory solution to having 1) GSYNC 144HZ for PC and 2) 1080p for PS4 in the same monitor?

I'm considering the XB270HU's little cousin, the XB270H Abprz. Would this monitor work if I got a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter for the PS4?

Cheers.
I have it and it works fine with the PS4. Keep in mind though that it only has one HDMI port so you'll have to swap the cable on the monitor back and forth.

To be honest though, it's not worth the $700 price tag when the IPS 1440p version is only $100 more. If you're going for 1080p you should get the 24" version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009729

Jabo

Any site that ships worldwide? I really wanna replace my current monitor and jump in the gsync hype sigh

Tilian

Banned
I have it and it works fine with the PS4. Keep in mind though that it only has one HDMI port so you'll have to swap the cable on the monitor back and forth.

To be honest though, it's not worth the $700 price tag when the IPS 1440p version is only $100 more. If you're going for 1080p you should get the 24" version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009729

Oh wow, thanks. Glad to hear that the conversion does in fact work. Could I trouble you with a few more questions: So the 144Hz doesn't cause noticeable problems with the PS4? And what adapter do you use? I've read that some have problems and am not sure which to go with.

Cheers,

Colors and blacks on this monitor are average at best. Nothing pops and the blacks are more grey than black, this probably has more to do with the IPS tech and a matte panel than Acers production it's self. Are the colors decent for an IPS panel? Yes, but next to a VA panel or a plasma or OLED or CRT the colors look washed out and the blacks are poor.

Are the colors noticeably better than the ROG Swift, assuming you've used the Swift before?

fushi

I really don't understand why they gave such a good monitor a stand so ugly. I mean, just looking at the Linus vid it sticks out like a sore thumb. Eughh.

Durante

This whole "colors and blacks" conflation thing some of you guys are doing makes no sense to me :/. Colors are one thing, blacks are another. Color accuracy on most decent IPS panels is very good, especially calibrated. Blacks on all IPS (and TN for that matter) panels are crap.

Burn in and input lag l, though I am sure once cost comes down we could see OLED monitors at some point
What? Neither of those are an issue with OLED, maybe with some implementations of it. Especially input lag should in fact be easily as low or lower than any LCD technology since there is no need for overdrive calculations.

I really think the only reason there are no OLED monitors is because no one builds them.

PnCIa

jesus christ

Acer is known to have shitty quality management, this monitor is not an exception for sure. If you want more consistency you gotta pay more.

x3sphere

9K baby

Yields on 1080p OLED are very good now, LG probably could come out with a sub-$1000 1080p OLED monitor, but would be hard to market - everyone wants higher resolutions now.

I don't think we'll see one until 4K yields improve, could happen in a year or two.

Thrakier

It's 2015 - and people are still not used to Mura. It's inherent in the technology. There is some variation, sure, but it's probably around a 10% scale. That some people claim they don't have Mura and others claim they have tons of mura is more the case of:

- different picture settings
- different perception
- overexposed photos (the two pictures above are definitly complety overexposed to make it seem more dramatic)

Until they don't invent a new technology, Mura will be there. I've never seen an LCD without it.

Grassy

Welp, I just said screw it and ordered this off of Newegg. Should be here later this week. I am excited!

Bugger. I pre-ordered mine a week ago and the earliest ETA in Australia is the 17th of June...at least the 980 Ti will be released by then,(at least I can hope).

21:9 and gsync are pretty niche features, think it's fair to call it a high end product. Especially given it's 1300 dollars which sucks given that's the next monitor I plan on getting. I guess it makes sense given current curved 21:9 monitors are around 1000 dollars but I was hoping things would drop by the time it comes out later this year.

It is a shame that 3440x1440 via DP can't handle 120 Hz+ yet. It's not something I'm able to experience in many recent games but it's such a great feature for just navigating the desktop.

bltn

Back in stock at Amazon.de, so I ordered one. Fingers crossed for no dead pixels and low backlight bleed!

mm04

I had $200 in Amazon gift cards, so I had to wait for them to get in stock last week. Unfortunately it's a 3 week estimated wait. I hope I get lucky and get one with no defects.

dwells

I don't understand why it's so hard for manufacturers to put out a panel with even backlighting, especially at these higher price points. Backlight bleed, uniformity issues, and dirty screen effect totally kill an LCD for me, no matter how good the set is otherwise.

That's kind of hard when no one else makes anything comparable.

You're The Durante, like DSFix Durante?!

The one you posted is 75Hz. The XB270HU is 144Hz.

If you want a good experience, go for 144Hz. You wont regret it.
No idea why they call a 75Hz monitor a high end "gaming" device....

Even if 60 FPS is good enough for me? The main reasons this XB270HU is
more appealing are that I can still use my current 27" monitor to dual for work, the fact that it's $500 cheaper, and it's out now. I guess I just talked myself into it. Well, I'm curious what all this bleeding is that have been posted above. Is that what you can see on black backgrounds?

still ~100:1 improvement in contrast over my Dell - and i'm pretty happy with my Dell!

literally just called the one Canadian store selling these online to check about their return policy, sounds all good to go - will report back once received if i pull the trigger.

d00d3n

The local retailer that I ordered from (Swedish Inet) sent out a mass email today confirming that they will receive and start sending out the displays tomorrow (for people who have already pre-ordered, others have to wait until the end of the month). Unless something unexpected happens I will have this display by friday!

mkenyon

Banned
Even if 60 FPS is good enough for me? The main reasons this XB270HU is
more appealing are that I can still use my current 27" monitor to dual for work, the fact that it's $500 cheaper, and it's out now. I guess I just talked myself into it. Well, I'm curious what all this bleeding is that have been posted above. Is that what you can see on black backgrounds?
The only reason you say this is because you don't know that it isn't good enough for you yet.

epmode

Just got mine! Dust under the screen! Is there any way of fixing this without voiding my warranty or should I just call Amazon?

edit: Looks like hair or some kind of fiber. It may not look like much but I notice it pretty easily.

edit edit: I also notice.. light shining through dozens/hundreds of pixels about 1.5 inches from the edge of the screen. It's only noticeable on dark/black colors but it's all over the place. I don't know how else to describe it. My last LCD didn't have this problem.

edit^3: I can't keep this. Too annoying. I *really* like the 144hz thing though.

Haroon

I thought about purchasing this multiple times, and I feel that it's not worth it to upgrade yet. Monitor technology is improving every other year. I think the best option would be to wait until there are no more major innovations, and then purchase one that will last you a long time.

Or if you have disposalable income, you could just buy three of them, and have a pretty good time.

Got this today after ordering it on Sunday from Newegg.

Holy shit, this thing is completely blowing my mind. I'm coming from a Dell U2211H IPS monitor so just the size of this is perfect for me. But I don't know if its the GSYNC with my 970 or the 144Hz but just messing around in Alien Isolation and my god, its so SMOOTH looking.

No dead pixels or anything that I've noticed so far and the only perceptible backlight bleed along the bottom right corner isn't any worse than my old Dell IPS and you only really notice it if you've got a pure black screen.

So its pretty great so far!

Top Bottom