• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACG's review PS5 crapped out already

Bo_Hazem

Banned
4lvf4j.jpg

Mine is coming in 20th. :messenger_sunglasses: Hope you get yours soon.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I just look it as ... well at least I will not end up with that faulty one. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Stuart360

Electronic devices fail, especially at launch. All 3 next gen console will get fails, and its only highlighted so much now because we have literally tens of thousands of gamers on Youtube and streaming.

Karak

Karak Karak What's going down fam. You heard that this is issue is widespread?
As i said in the video it has happened to a couple others. i never said widespread nor indicated it was in the video AT ALL. Some others have reported it and Yongs video in particular discussed it.,

Well, he got a warning in rest mode and kept using rest mode from what I saw in the video.... if I got a warning like that I would have called Sony and used the full power down just to be safe.

It's only logical and would have probably made his life a lot easier.
No warning occurred in rest mode you do not get warnings in rest mode as its called rest mode for a reason. Issues occur coming out of rest mode for some, or like me in many ways and that is one of the many I received and yes Sony was contacted as I stated clearly in the video.

Those who have reported issues turned off when they did. Which is why I stated I was getting it all the time. Not just coming out of rest mode.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I hardly ever use rest mode even now. Usually I fully shut down the thing.

I fully shut down all my electronics. That's why I still have my 2002/2010 PC's running good, although don't use them because I've built another one in 2019. My base PS4 2013 is running silent and good, my 2016 PS4 Pro is dead silent until now.

I usually put it on rest mode when downloading a game when had 16Mbps ADSL. With 200Mbps fiber now I won't need it, I believe.

Last edited:
As i said in the video it has happened to a couple others. i never said widespread nor indicated it was in the video AT ALL. Some others have reported it and Yongs video in particular discussed it
Yong's PS5 review? I guess ima check that out, then.

geordiemp

For those posters getting excited and warring, here is some perpective

iQledpA.png

Consumer electronics have a failure rate as they are not baked.

Last edited:

iorek21

I think that's fairly common for launch consoles, no?

I mean, Crowbcat has compilations for faulty launch consoles for PS4, XONE, XOX, PS4 Pro and Switch...

bender

What time is it?
Karak Karak are you dealing with Sony support or Sony PR for a replacement unit? You mentioned pre-ordering another unit so I was just curious. Maybe a timing issue?

Skifi28

For those posters getting excited and warring, here is some perpective

iQledpA.png

I don't know the source, but it needs more context. The 360 was manufactured for many years. That graph just puts everything together. It doesn't really account for the failure rate of all the early units that was closer to 50% (if not more) vs the last few year models that were obviously much improved and people stopped using to jump to the next generation.

Karak

Karak Karak are you dealing with Sony support or Sony PR for a replacement unit? You mentioned pre-ordering another unit so I was just curious. Maybe a timing issue?
Engineers who made the system and programmed it as well as their contacts.

i preordered another because I had promised viewers to give one away> So I will give that one away and take the second for replacement here

bender

What time is it?
Engineers who made the system and programmed it as well as their contacts.

i preordered another because I had promised viewers to give one away> So I will give that one away and take the second for replacement here

Thanks. Hopefully it's just a lemon and not a more widespread issue. When your storage showed up as corrupted, did the system boot to a safe mode to rebuild like PS3/PS4?

In my personal experience the early units have the least amount of QC. But hopefully it is a fluke.
No I mean the ones sent out as early units to the YouTubers and reviewers. Usually those are hand picked because issues like these will be broadcasted to millions of viewers, vs some unknown joe down the street, who got a faulty ps5.

NEbeast

As i said in the video it has happened to a couple others. i never said widespread nor indicated it was in the video AT ALL. Some others have reported it and Yongs video in particular discussed it.,

No warning occurred in rest mode you do not get warnings in rest mode as its called rest mode for a reason. Issues occur coming out of rest mode for some, or like me in many ways and that is one of the many I received and yes Sony was contacted as I stated clearly in the video.

Those who have reported issues turned off when they did. Which is why I stated I was getting it all the time. Not just coming out of rest mode.

Can you clarify on "external storage"?
Were you playing games from it?

Bryank75

Banned

Have many peoples units broken because of this? If you are ware of any....

I don't get mine till the 19th but is this something to be seriously concerned about?

Did you use rest mode subsequently to the warning? How long after the first warning did it stop working?

Have you tried powering it on since?

Karak

Karak has said he doesnt have a google router though. He uses Comcast with netgear router.
This is correct I wanted to make it clear in that video. I know that Yong says Sony told him others had reported it when he reported his issues. However I use nothing from Google at all. By the time I as in the middle of the issues it would not have mattered as it had progressed past the corruption error to crashing, not sending signals, not able to track my profiles signed in and out and so forth

Can you clarify on "external storage"?
Were you playing games from it?
Clarify..in what way?
Yes it was used as external storage for games.

Last edited:

NEbeast

This is correct I wanted to make it clear in that video. I know that Yong says Sony told him others had reported it when he reported his issues. However I use nothing from Google at all. By the time I as in the middle of the issues it would not have mattered as it had progressed past the corruption error to crashing, not sending signals, not able to track my profiles signed in and out and so forth

Clarify..in what way?
Yes it was used as external storage for games.

Hopefully they come out and clarify that it's fixed for launch, I dont use external storage so I should be good. I'll probably invest in an SSD when they let us know which SSDs are compatible.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah, this was the guy who broke the NDA, right?
I still don't get how MS should be allowed to brick someone's console because they happened to play it and stream early. It'd be one thing if he had been sent a console by MS, but he says he went out and bought one with his own money.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I got rest mode issues with my PS4. Whenever it was in rest mode for a while, when I booted it back up it would have internet connection issues. So I stopped. I only used it to charge my controller anyway. I won't be using rest with PS5 either.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I still don't get how MS should be allowed to brick someone's console because they happened to play it and stream early. It'd be one thing if he had been sent a console by MS, but he says he went out and bought one with his own money.

Because it's a fairy tale, a nice one. Reality is it's a normal faulty hardware, happens with all electronics. No classified, secret measures done.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It happens.. a significant number will be outright DOA, even more than that will die fairly quickly.

Within the first year a 5% failure rate is totally normal for electronics. Considering Sony will sell like 10 million units in it's first year, that means by 2022 it would be normal to have 500,000 dead PS5s in the wild.

The internet just multiplies what we hear about these issues..

In the end that's what warranties are for. If something has a major problem, typically companies respond by extending warranties automatically, particularly in the internet age.. that's what MS did with Xbox 360 and it's why a lot of people never abandoned them.

I bought Best Buy's two-year protection plan with my PS5 pre-order for this very reason.

Yams

What a downer. The only upside is that failure right now is better than failure a year from now when the console is out of warranty.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Face it there are going to be doa units, what counts if the turn around time. I got a bum surface from MS at launch, they overnighted me a replacement and box to send mine back.

Similar experience with apple, went in with a busted phone, gave me a new one out of a drawer all done in 5 mins.

If Sony and MS are on the ball with this shouldnt be much of an issue at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom