• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says it's working on adding their games to Game Pass. But Modern Warfare III and Diablo IV won't be available.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It’s awesome to see anticipation building for Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® III. As we continue to work toward regulatory approval of the Microsoft deal, we’ve been getting some questions whether our upcoming and recently launched games will be available via Game Pass.While we do not have plans to put Modern Warfare® III or Diablo IV into Game Pass this year, once the deal closes, we expect to start working with Xbox to bring our titles to more players around the world. And we anticipate that we would begin adding games into Game Pass sometime in the course of next year.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The wording is a bit odd
While we do not have plans to put Modern Warfare® III or Diablo IV into Game Pass this year
Alright expected
once the deal closes, we expect to start working with Xbox to bring our titles to more players around the world
Alright, so no mwIII D4 this year, but other games will?
And we anticipate that we would begin adding games into Game Pass sometime in the course of next year.
....so nothing this year, why not just say that instead of only saying this year for MWIII and D4?

While we do not have plans to put any of our games into Game Pass this year, once the deal closes, we expect to start working with Xbox to bring our titles to more players around the world. And we anticipate that we would begin adding games into Game Pass sometime in the course of next year.
..right?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
we expect to start working with Xbox to bring our titles to more players around the world.

Aka: "We will work with Microsoft to put this shit on as many platforms as possible, keep it cross-gen for the entire gen, and kill absolutely all ambition. You should expect minimal graphical enhancements, multiplatform development for even more platforms, for the rest of the gen. Please look forward to it!"

But yay. Gamepass. Give me a break. This deal will destroy COD

Not Yet No GIF

Aka: "We will work with Microsoft to put this shit on as many platforms as possible, keep it cross-gen for the entire gen, and kill absolutely all ambition. You should expect minimal graphical enhancements, multiplatform development for even more platforms, for the rest of the gen. Please look forward to it!"

But yay. Gamepass. Give me a break. This deal will destroy COD

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Last edited:

dotnotbot

they better hurry, 100M subs to GP are on the line by the end of the year. Don't you think Michael?
fCKyM5d.gif

100 quadrillion. PC players probably still won't give a shit about Gamepass and realistically PC platform is the only way Gamepass can significantly grow.

Gamepass growth hit a wall and Spencer has no clue what to do next except buying more and more.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am only interested in the new Modern warfare series campaigns. Never was interested in the MP and never bought any. It would be cool to get to play Modern Warfare campaigns if/when these come to gamepass.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Want to see this pump some life into the older titles I’m more excited for.

And everyone should play infinite warfare single player. Or was it advanced?

CamHostage

So... Crash Team Rumble then, that's it?

Because it's not like modern-day Activision has a rich library of releases being shipped out. They ship a CoD every year, they update the CoDs which are already available, Blizzard puts out a game every once in a blue moon, and then that's about it. All of their game development studios behind Crash and Spyro and THPS have been sent down to work the CoD mines. (Somehow CTR escaped, but I'd be surprised if Toys for Bob is granted a reprieve unless the MS acquisition really does reinvigorate sales opportunities for other IP.) And they publish FromSoft's Sekiro but I don't think they have full freedom to flip it to other services as if they outright own it.

I just don't understand what games they say they're working on adding when they've not been working on making other games?

Pimpbaa

The wording is a bit odd

Alright expected

Alright, so no mwIII D4 this year, but other games will?

....so nothing this year, why not just say that instead of only saying this year for MWIII and D4?

..right?

It definitely reads that way to me (the way you worded it at the end). No games from Activision blizzard this year including titles like MWIII and D4, but will get them next year. I dunno, how long did it take Bethesda games to hit game pass (I wasn’t a subscriber at the time)?

Kilau

Really? I can't wait to see all of these on GP:

• Call of Duty games
  • Crash Bandicoot games
  • Diablo games
  • Spyro games
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games
Nope, I bought the bandicoot collection when it came out and Diablo 3 I bought and played a ton of but haven’t been interested in anything they’ve put out since or really much before. Never was into Tony Hawk or CoD and D4 looks like a mess.

Ginzeen

Banned
If I had a dollar for every week that’s been said i’d be as rich as Microsoft.
Hasn't been said that much. Only other time was when the deadline was very close. But during this deadline, the CMA already approved the deal. And now their done with their third party feedback. Which is pretty much a formality. One thing is for sure though, it will close before the deadline.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MW3 and Diablo IV won't be available THIS YEAR

Here's a better topic title:

Activision: MW3 and Diablo IV Not on Game Pass This Year. Will Work to Bring Other Titles Post Acquisition Completion

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Hasn't been said that much. Only other time was when the deadline was very close. But during this deadline, the CMA already approved the deal. And now their done with their third party feedback. Which is pretty much a formality. One thing is for sure though, it will close before the deadline.
It feels like it.
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

nial

Gold Member
I don't get it, does that mean they're not expecting the deal to close this year or that if it does, COD MWIII and D4 won't be added to GP so soon after launch?

CamHostage

Really? I can't wait to see all of these on GP:

• Call of Duty games
  • Crash Bandicoot games
  • Diablo games
  • Spyro games
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games

Ok, so Xbox 360 games. That $69bil price tag is looking like a better price tag every day...

In the Xbox One and Xbox Series eras, besides annual CoDs, Activision has put out the Spyro and Crash trilogies, 2 more Crashes (and a racer), 1 THPS remake, Platinum's TMNT, that top-down Ghostbusters, and then a shit-ton of CoD. It's a slim archive unless you go back more than 10 years.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Maybe, but I don't know that Activision will be able to bring those Cybertron games back out. They lost the Transformers brand rights in 2018. Supposedly Hasbro would be open to re-licensing those old games despite new brand managers, but those games have been delisted from XBL and Steam.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't get it, does that mean they're not expecting the deal to close this year or that if it does, COD MWIII and D4 won't be added to GP so soon after launch?

They're saying to not expect the new COD or Diablo IV to hit Game Pass immediately when the deal is finalized at the end of the week.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They mean that even if the deal closes this week, they aren't added any games to game pass until next year.

AmuroChan

So does that mean that in the future, MS may choose to not put certain 1st party games on GP day 1? If Diablo and MW3 won't be on GP the moment the deal closes, then that does break their own rule of all 1st party games being on GP day 1.

adamsapple

The later. They wouldn't be talking about bringing games to game pass if they were not confident in the deal closing, why make tweets that will potentially be harmful to them.

Last edited:
No one should be surprised that Activision Blizzard isn't jumping at the opportunity to instantly turn profitable franchises into money losers by putting them on Gamepass, especially on Day 1.

Depending on how long Bobby stays after the merger closes, I think ABK will hold out as long as they can against it and MS will be forced to come in and make then put games on Gamepass Day 1 at gunpoint.

adamsapple

So does that mean that in the future, MS may choose to not put certain 1st party games on GP day 1? If Diablo and MW3 won't be on GP the moment the deal closes, then that does break their own rule of all 1st party games being on GP day 1.

They didn't put all of Zenimax's recent games on GP immediately after the acquisition closed, they put them up in batches after the initial volley for the next few months.

nial

Gold Member
They're saying to not expect the new COD or Diablo IV to hit Game Pass immediately when the deal is finalized at the end of the week.
So, the latter...
The later. They wouldn't be talking about bringing games to game pass if they were not confident in the deal closing, why make tweets that will potentially be harmful to them.
Then, why? Doesn't GP get every first-party game day one? (or in the case of already released Bethesda and ABK titles, as soon as they become first-party)

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Ok, so Xbox 360 games. That $69bil price tag is looking like a better price tag every day...

TIL that

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • Call of Duty: WWII
  • Call of Duty, Infinite Warfare
  • Crash Team Rumble
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

are Xbox 360 games

Last edited:

adamsapple

Then, why? Doesn't GP get every first-party game day one (or in the case of Bethesda and ABK titles, as soon as they become first-party).

No, they put multiple zenimax games on game pass months after the acquisition completed.

No one should be surprised that Activision Blizzard isn't jumping at the opportunity to instantly turn profitable franchises into money losers by putting them on Gamepass, especially on Day 1.

Depending on how long Bobby stays after the merger closes, I think ABK will hold out as long as they can against it and MS will be forced to come in and make then put games on Gamepass Day 1 at gunpoint.

Nonsense.

After the deal closes, all ABK games releasing on console or PC will launch into GP on day one barring any preexisting exclusive deals, just like Bethesda.

adamsapple

So COD 2024 will be day 1 Gamepass correct?

If the Sony marketing contract has ended by the time that game comes out, then there wouldn't be anything else stopping it from, correct.

Unless MS makes specific exemptions to their day 1 rule for Activision games. Which we won't know about until all this is done and we're in 2024 I guess.

AmuroChan

Unless MS makes specific exemptions to their day 1 rule for Activision games. Which we won't know about until all this is done and we're in 2024 I guess.

That would suck big time if they start making exceptions to their day one Gamepass rule for all first party games.

Can’t wait for the LTTP GP edition threads where people pretend the ABK trash they either already owned or avoided all this time is incredible value added. “Can’t believe I waited ten years to play Diablo 3 guyzz tks Phil”

CoD games that are years old still retail for $40-70. That’s a lot of money for a short campaign, since I’m not touching the doodoo MP. Goddamn right I’ll be excited to play them as part of the subscription service I already pay for

AmuroChan

Depends if there isn't a deal with playstation in place already.

I would find it hard to believe that PlayStation can negotiate a no Gamepass clause for a game as big as COD. They couldn't even prevent their own game (MLB The Show) from being put on Gamepass day 1.

Top Bottom