• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says it's working on adding their games to Game Pass. But Modern Warfare III and Diablo IV won't be available.

Fredrik

Translation: We want to sell our games and earn some money for as long as possible, so we will stretch it out, even though we could just add them on day one. Please buy our games.
It works. That’s how Sony do it with PS+ and Disney with their biggest movies on Disney+. It’s easy to see through it and it is annoying if you’re a subscriber of a service, but it is no doubt a working strategy, I fall into the trap every single time.

I bet they’ll add the absolute oldest games first and the ones people want the most will be added at the very end. Money money money 💰

But I’m not interested enough to buy a CoD game so whenever a game gets added I’ll be there for sure. Nothing lost for me, it’s all a bonus, it’ll just be fun to see what has happened, the last CoD I played was the one that was there near the 360 launch.

AmuroChan

Except you are forgetting one thing... they get all the $ from the MTX from the game as well so it prob makes up for it being on gamepass if those people are buying alot of MTX

I didn't forget that part. I know they make a lot of money from Diamond Dynasty, but you know what's even better? Get the MTX money AND $70 for each copy sold.

100 quadrillion. PC players probably still won't give a shit about Gamepass and realistically PC platform is the only way Gamepass can significantly grow.

Gamepass growth hit a wall and Spencer has no clue what to do next except buying more and more.
Um, a lot of PC players care quite a bit about PC Gamepass. Most subscribers are subbed to GP ultimate which includes PC GP. MS games are play anywhere which is awesome and a nice option.

Three

That would suck big time if they start making exceptions to their day one Gamepass rule for all first party games.
They didn't put minecraft on gamepass until April 2019 despite owning it since 2014 and they didn't put it on PC gamepass until Oct 2021. Games that they don't want to kill in terms of sales they don't put as soon as they can. They are likely to milk CoD and Diablo for sales a little longer before they put them up.

Gambit2483

Activision is going to lose a shitton of money once COD hits Gamepass. How do they expect to have those $2B three day launch sales records when half of their consumers are playing it for "free"?

Gamepass is nothing more than the death kneel for High Revenue Game launches. Can't even imagine how much money Bethesda has potentially lost on Starfield going Gamepass.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Sucks for them.

A lot of people are not going to buy CoD or Diablo IV outright when the perception is that it should be "free" on Game Pass.
I think you underestimate Call of Duty's community, time is of the essence and MWIII showing up in GamePass a month or two later is a no bueno for the most, most hardcore will buy it Day 1. Ain't nobody falling behind on the weapon grind and the meta.

Not to mention majority of CoD players I believe are on PlayStation.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It definitely reads that way to me (the way you worded it at the end). No games from Activision blizzard this year including titles like MWIII and D4, but will get them next year. I dunno, how long did it take Bethesda games to hit game pass (I wasn’t a subscriber at the time)?
So its all about the wording on that original Tweet, "upcoming and recently launched games"

There will be a lot of older ABK games hit GP this year and seems like many are very close to ready as soon as deal closes

Gojiira

Gamepass is on several generations of Xbox and is on PC and cloud, and there is no platform exclusivity in action on these titles. You don’t think that can bring in more players?
It literally hasnt, Gamepass hasn’t grown in like 2 years. Lets not pretend ‘several generations of Xbox’ means anything, I reiterate what I originally stated, Xbox is selling at a glacial pace, third place for three generations or more.
And there is platform exclusivity in place, by virtue of being locked to the Xbox ecosystem it means your not reaching the biggest demographics ie PS and Nintendo.
Beyond that is anyone playing Starfield via Cloud? No…

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hopefully that includes a bunch of new backwards compatible titles

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Please !

dotnotbot

Um, a lot of PC players care quite a bit about PC Gamepass. Most subscribers are subbed to GP ultimate which includes PC GP. MS games are play anywhere which is awesome and a nice option.
They have only about 3 million PC subs, the rest of 25+ million is on consoles. Online play is also the reason why console subs choose Ultimate so we have no idea how many od them care about PC (but since they bought a console then probably not many of them).

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Once they have you by the balls they can do whatever they like.

True, but fortunately that hasn't happened to me yet. I still sub a month at a time when they release a 1st party game I want to play. I signed up in September to play Starfield, then canceled.

Fredrik

It literally hasnt, Gamepass hasn’t grown in like 2 years. Lets not pretend ‘several generations of Xbox’ means anything, I reiterate what I originally stated, Xbox is selling at a glacial pace, third place for three generations or more.
And there is platform exclusivity in place, by virtue of being locked to the Xbox ecosystem it means your not reaching the biggest demographics ie PS and Nintendo.
Beyond that is anyone playing Starfield via Cloud? No…
There is no platform exclusivity, Activision games are on all platforms. Now people who don’t want to buy their games can play them too through a subscription. How is that not bringing in more players?

Freeman76

Wtf is the point of this deal then? Seems like a dumbass waste of money to not get the main attractions on their service straight away.

NOt that it really affects me, I dont play cod and already own diablo 4. The main thing i was hoping was MS would bring WoW to consoles after this deal, but that also seems like it would never happen either 😂

I cannot see how they can maintain the traditional CoD structure when on GamePass. The SP campaign must cost a hefty chunk of the production budget, whereas the MP side is where nearly all the monetization is.

Including a new CoD on GamePass is basically blowing all that (campaign's budget) expenditure for limited gains, because the theme-park model they've employed for years appeals to a bunch of different group interests. For example, those not interested in MP or Zombies might see this as a win for them, but those for whom the other two aspects are the draw are likely not going to see the appeal. Especially when they anticipate spending a lot on Battlepass and DLC its not really elevating their interest in GP.

In fact they might feel slighted by them being still asked to pay full AAA price for such limited content, when they could get the "big ticket" part with a sub. While on the other hand, from their standpoint the alternative of getting through GP would entail them being tied down to an extra (unwanted) subscription to continue to play the one game they are interested in...

It just doesn't fit in my view.
I wouldn't be surprised if the MS controlled ABK split CoD into a traditional single player game released yearly and an ongoing GaaS multiplayer game. That would also stop them needing to repackage and sell a new multiplayer mode every year, they can just finally have 1 permanent game for multiplayer forever.

Gojiira

There is no platform exclusivity, Activision games are on all platforms. Now people who don’t want to buy their games can play them too through a subscription. How is that not bringing in more players?
Are you seriously this dense? People who dont buy their games have no interest in them…Thats why they didnt buy them back on release. They certainly arent going to suddenly want them now…
Activision games might be on all platforms, but not all platforms have game pass so thats a totally moot point. The only people who benefit are within the Xbox ecosystem. So again, smallest install base.

Fredrik

Are you seriously this dense? People who dont buy their games have no interest in them…Thats why they didnt buy them back on release. They certainly arent going to suddenly want them now…
Activision games might be on all platforms, but not all platforms have game pass so thats a totally moot point. The only people who benefit are within the Xbox ecosystem. So again, smallest install base.
Wait you think everyone would have bought everything they play on Gamepass? What gave you that idea? I’m testing all kinds of content all the time that I didn’t think I would like and certainly wasn’t interested in buying. = more players.

Gojiira

Wait you think everyone would have bought everything they play on Gamepass? What gave you that idea? I’m testing all kinds of content all the time that I didn’t think I would like and certainly wasn’t interested in buying. = more players.
My fucking god man…No, Im saying people who are interested in CoD buy it each year, now the people like you ‘trying it’ dont mean anything, the player count stays the same, spiking briefly then returning to how it was so no it doesnt mean more players.
In the rhetoric of Xbox they think Gamepass means reaching millions of other players, across many other demographics, across as many platforms as they can, but as I said already all the info about Gamepass proves otherwise, zero growth on other platforms so where exactly are these more players that keep getting brought up?

Fredrik

My fucking god man…No, Im saying people who are interested in CoD buy it each year, now the people like you ‘trying it’ dont mean anything, the player count stays the same, spiking briefly then returning to how it was so no it doesnt mean more players.
In the rhetoric of Xbox they think Gamepass means reaching millions of other players, across many other demographics, across as many platforms as they can, but as I said already all the info about Gamepass proves otherwise, zero growth on other platforms so where exactly are these more players that keep getting brought up?
You’re assuming too much. A subscription library is by default adding more players since it’s not just those who’re jumping in to play their favorite IP that try the game. Works for movies, music, games. Many will just check it out and drop it fast like you say, but some will stay. And the increased talk will be like having ads out. That’s why some bigger games go up frequently on subscription libraries for short periods. It’s why smaller studios without gigantic marketing budgets use it at launch. It’s why older titles or bombas may pop up on PS+ and Gamepass. You’ll see it all soon.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

You’re assuming too much. A subscription library is by default adding more players since it’s not just those who’re jumping in to play their favorite IP that try the game. Works for movies, music, games. Many will just check it out and drop it fast like you say, but some will stay. And the increased talk will be like having ads out. That’s why some bigger games go up frequently on subscription libraries for short periods. It’s why smaller studios without gigantic marketing budgets use it at launch. It’s why older titles or bombas may pop up on PS+ and Gamepass. You’ll see it all soon.

Not really on the same thread you guys are on but I'm curious to know your opinion. Do you think having a current call of duty on gamepass day and date would lower the perceived value of call of duty?

I think people would look at the up front price, and take the path to less resistance and grab a gamepass sub (which I'm sure Microsoft is counting on).

This.

"I am sooooo excited to play Call of Duty Ghost or Advanced Warfare or Black Ops 1 campaign, even though I haven't bought those gams for ~10 years now when they were available for less than $10. But I'm soooo excited and can't wait to play them when they join Game Pass, so much so that I'm willing to support anti-competitive practices by trillion $$ corporations." 😄

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The wording is a bit odd

Alright expected

Alright, so no mwIII D4 this year, but other games will?

....so nothing this year, why not just say that instead of only saying this year for MWIII and D4?

..right?
Totally expect the older titles Spyro / crash / type games to get released before anything new. They will drop feed it for a long time to keep subscribers

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not really on the same thread you guys are on but I'm curious to know your opinion. Do you think having a current call of duty on gamepass day and date would lower the perceived value of call of duty?

I think people would look at the up front price, and take the path to less resistance and grab a gamepass sub (which I'm sure Microsoft is counting on).
Which doesn't have a prayers chance of offsetting the losses from not having it available to buy.

Fredrik

On Xbox, yeah. Sales down, player count up. But I don’t see fans on other platforms suddenly skipping the IP or wait for price drops or go out to buy a Xbox if a game is on Gamepass. A day 1 Gamepass release is mostly a great way to get people talking, it’s PR, as long as the game is great we’re all lured to be walking ads.

But in the end, in the future, it’ll all be like music and movies. I’ve accepted that long ago.
Do you still buy music CDs? Bluray movies?
I don’t and I’m okay with that.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
NOt that it really affects me, I dont play cod and already own diablo 4. The main thing i was hoping was MS would bring WoW to consoles after this deal, but that also seems like it would never happen either 😂

Diablo 4 is a live service: if they cut support for PlayStation you’re done for.

So am I.

RickMasters

I would be with you on Diablo normally but it looks like they royally messed it up. Not sure I would even try it on game pass.
Damn…. I haven’t been following the issues surrounding the game, but is it really that bad? Game released A while back so one would assume they would have sorted their shit out by now.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Have they started putting up bare bones/F2P versions of full priced games on gamepass or is that being saved for the not too distant future?

Kilau

Damn…. I haven’t been following the issues surrounding the game, but is it really that bad? Game released A while back so one would assume they would have sorted their shit out by now.
They are working on the progression, but it has that live service taint that I'm not sure can be fixed. Connection issues are probably fine now since people dropped the game quickly.

devilNprada

I would be with you on Diablo normally but it looks like they royally messed it up. Not sure I would even try it on game pass.
As a huge Diablo fan I painfully enjoyed the hell out of it for two months through season 1, but I suspect anybody trying when it comes to Gamepass will be playing with themselves.... lol

Sorcerer

I bet Blizzard is and has always been violently opposed to putting Diablo on Gamepass. (Probably have no love for their new overlords either). I'm thinking Phil's recent visitation to Blizzard was to calm the waters by giving them about a half a year until it's ported over. They can technically get around not having it on their because it's way too late to claim "Day One" on Gamepass.
Darth Phil, starts to motion towards the door, stops, turns around and exclaims "Pray, I don't alter the deal any further."

Last edited:
Top Bottom