• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says it's working on adding their games to Game Pass. But Modern Warfare III and Diablo IV won't be available.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CoD games that are years old still retail for $40-70. That’s a lot of money for a short campaign, since I’m not touching the doodoo MP. Goddamn right I’ll be excited to play them as part of the subscription service I already pay for

I've already got my templates ready for how I'm going to structure and write my LTTP CoD Campaign threads.

I would find it hard to believe that PlayStation can negotiate a no Gamepass clause for a game as big as COD. They couldn't even prevent their own game (MLB The Show) from being put on Gamepass day 1.

To be fair, that was an MLB mandate to make the game multi-plat and making the deal with MS for Game Pass, it hasn't been said officially but based on some insider stuff, it was a requirement for Sony to continue having the MLB game license that they make the game multi-platform.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

To be fair, that was an MLB mandate to make the game multi-plat and making the deal with MS for Game Pass, it hasn't been said officially but based on some insider stuff, it was a requirement for Sony to continue having the MLB game license that they make the game multi-platform.

Making the game multiplat, sure, but having the game put on Gamepass so they lose out on selling the game for $70 a pop? I don't know about that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I would find it hard to believe that PlayStation can negotiate a no Gamepass clause for a game as big as COD. They couldn't even prevent their own game (MLB The Show) from being put on Gamepass day 1.
Sony doesn't own MLB though, they just have a license for it.
And marketing contracts can definitely exclude all kinds of things including subscription services.

AmuroChan

Sony doesn't own MLB though, they just have a license for it.
And marketing contracts can definitely exclude all kinds of things including subscription services.

Yes, but they paid for the license. They have the right to make as much money as possible with that license. Sony is incurring the full development cost of the game. Not being able to sell the game for $70 a pop on XBox means they're losing out on tens of millions of dollars.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They have the right to make as much money as possible with that license.
No, they have to do what the license holder tells them to do with the license, if that includes developing games with it for every current gen platform, then they have to do so or lose the license; losing some sales on a competing platform doesn't mean that much when your platform becomes "the place to play [license]", that association can be worth much more.

AmuroChan

No, they have to do what the license holder tells them to do with the license, if that includes developing games with it for every current gen platform, then they have to do so or lose the license; losing some sales on a competing platform doesn't mean that much when your platform becomes "the place to play [license]", that association can be worth much more.

No, both sides have to agree on the contract terms of the license. The license holder can't just arbitrarily change the rules after the contract has been signed. That's not how a binding contract works in business. Also, Sony isn't just losing sales on the XBox side, they're also losing sales on the PlayStation side because multi-console owners can now play the game on Gamepass rather than paying $70 on PlayStation.

Nubulax

No, both sides have to agree on the contract terms of the license. The license holder can't just arbitrarily change the rules after the contract has been signed. That's not how a binding contract works in business. Also, Sony isn't just losing sales on the XBox side, they're also losing sales on the PlayStation side because multi-console owners can now play the game on Gamepass rather than paying $70 on PlayStation.
Except you are forgetting one thing... they get all the $ from the MTX from the game as well so it prob makes up for it being on gamepass if those people are buying alot of MTX

Fredrik

The ‘to more players’ gets me, that rhetoric that somehow Game Pass is bringing more games to more players is fucking hilarious. Yes the console with the smallest user base and zero growth sure is accomplishing that!
Gamepass is on several generations of Xbox and is on PC and cloud, and there is no platform exclusivity in action on these titles. You don’t think that can bring in more players?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I dont care about gamepass.
but can we get MW3 on MS store so I can buy it once, and my son can play it on his xbox while I do on PC ?

Kakax11

Banned
All i'm saying is

91PpY5RzPqL.jpg

Of course they wont be saying that games (aka D4) will enter games pass this year. Sales would drop even further.
Besser to grab those remaining desperate player funds until the end of the year and than spontaniously announce games for game pass.

I approve. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Really? I can't wait to see all of these on GP:

• Call of Duty games
  • Crash Bandicoot games
  • Diablo games
  • Spyro games
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games
When the deal started to form I was bummed out that I’m not going to get new Diablo games on PS5, after D4 Blizzard can keep the franchise. I don’t care anymore. The rest of their lineup never has nor will interest me.

Ginzeen

Banned
When the deal started to form I was bummed out that I’m not going to get new Diablo games on PS5, after D4 Blizzard can keep the franchise. I don’t care anymore. The rest of their lineup never has nor will interest me.
I thought D4 was received well?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Nice answer btw. I don't care about Diablo at all...I just remember it being received well when it first came out.
It got panned hard after the mob realized the game is shallow and end game beeing un fun. Player numbers on every metric tanked hard. There was a time when 400people would watch D4 streams on Twitch etc.

Personally- I think the game is just bad. Like not worthy of the Name.

Bkdk

You probably don't want these games to be included in game pass anyway. MS will certainly raise price of game pass when they are included.

You probably don't want these games to be included in game pass anyway. MS will certainly raise price of game pass when they are included.
MS raising the price on Gamepass would be my goodbye moment for the service. It’s barely worth it right now already, actually not really worth it, but I keep it so far so my son has something “free” to play and I don’t have to buy games for him until he becomes a little bit older and starts to realize he wants a quality library.

Harlock

"We all getting less bonus when our sales sunk because the games are on gamepass so we are trying to delay this the maximum possible"

This is the problem Microsoft has. They've built a fanbase expecting things for 'free'.

It's all about whether the growth in subscribers outstrips those losses in day one sales.
Gamepass subscriber growth has completely stalled.

The reason MS is buying all these publishers and studios is to force people to subscribe to keep playing games they like. It's a pretty blatant monopoly tactic but world governments have more important things to worry about so they'll be allowed to keep doing this until they own the industry and you'll have no choice but to pay a subscription to play games.

Ozriel

M$FT
Aka: "We will work with Microsoft to put this shit on as many platforms as possible, keep it cross-gen for the entire gen, and kill absolutely all ambition. You should expect minimal graphical enhancements, multiplatform development for even more platforms, for the rest of the gen. Please look forward to it!"

But yay. Gamepass. Give me a break. This deal will destroy COD

They aren’t going to keep COD cross gen for the generation.
They certainly are going to bring COD to Switch 2. They always were, even before this deal.

Can’t wait for the LTTP GP edition threads where people pretend the ABK trash they either already owned or avoided all this time is incredible value added. “Can’t believe I waited ten years to play Diablo 3 guyzz tks Phil”

Imagine making this post when you know that COD games with BC added rocket up the sales charts. We’ve seen that effect multiple times.

Bullshit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
MS raising the price on Gamepass would be my goodbye moment for the service. It’s barely worth it right now already, actually not really worth it, but I keep it so far so my son has something “free” to play and I don’t have to buy games for him until he becomes a little bit older and starts to realize he wants a quality library.
The price increase is incoming. The groundwork has already been laid.

This is from ~3 weeks ago.

MeDu0a9.jpg

Last edited:

Eotheod

Cool, will be keen to play all the Tony Hawk's again hopefully on PC. I want my Thomas the Tank Engine mods asap.

The price increase is incoming. The groundwork has already been laid.

This is from ~3 weeks ago.

MeDu0a9.jpg
True, but it’s not there yet. So a lot of anti-subbing is also inevitable. It’s not smart during this economic age to increase prices on services that are not worth the increase. People are very critical at the moment on what to keep and what to get rid of.

Raising the price of the service will most definitely result in less subscribers unless the increase is worth it for some reason. But for both Gamepass and PS Plus this is not really the case.

Although it’s nice that you have access to a small library of Sony core movies with ps premium.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I can’t wait to see all of these old games that are always £8-£20 on sale hit Game Pass!

Who are these people kidding? If you were that hyped to play them you would have bought them :messenger_tears_of_joy: This fake hype is transparent as fuck. Day one new CoD and brand new £70 releases like D4 are the only ‘selling points’ of this acquisition.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I can’t wait to see all of these old games that are always £8-£20 on sale hit Game Pass!

Who are these people kidding? If you were that hyped to play them you would have bought them :messenger_tears_of_joy: This fake hype is transparent as fuck. Day one new CoD and brand new £70 releases like D4 are the only ‘selling points’ of this acquisition.
This.

"I am sooooo excited to play Call of Duty Ghost or Advanced Warfare or Black Ops 1 campaign, even though I haven't bought those gams for ~10 years now when they were available for less than $10. But I'm soooo excited and can't wait to play them when they join Game Pass, so much so that I'm willing to support anti-competitive practices by trillion $$ corporations." 😄

Zuzu

That will be good to get all the past CODs on there. I hope in the future we will see all new CODs release on Gamepass day one as well

Activision got Microsoft to agree not to put the newer stuff straight into gamepass because they know its better to sell as many copies as you can first and keep the traditional way. This is what Microsoft should have done too instead of launching everything into a subscription service.

Ozriel

M$FT
Activision got Microsoft to agree not to put the newer stuff straight into gamepass because they know its better to sell as many copies as you can first and keep the traditional way. This is what Microsoft should have done too instead of launching everything into a subscription service.

They literally can’t put MW3 into GamePass due to the Sony deal. And of course Diablo 4 released well before the deal closed.

They’re fully committed to putting their first party games into GP day one. So you’ll see Blizzard’s new survival game and next year’s COD launch into GP.

Roxkis_ii

Activision is practically begging MS to not destory the value of their games. Naw put the newest cod on gamepass day one. Fuck them accountants, or being profitable. Lmao

Godot25

Banned
They can't add Modern Warfare 3 even if they wanted because of Sony's marketing deal. So I'm not expecting Modern Warfare 3 in GamePass until 2024 COD will be out.

Also, Microsoft would be probably smarter in including ABK games into Game Pass. Not like Bethesda where they added all games in 2 waves. It was really dumb, although I kinda understand it.
Why on Earth add all ABK games at once when you can add them at the time when you will have "empty" window in you Game Pass library?
Game Pass in last 6 weeks is pretty stacked so it is not necessary to add ABK games.
Add them alongside Avowed, Hellblade 2, Towerborne and MSFS 2024 at the first half of 2024.

But add games that would benefit from Game Pass audience now like Crash Team Rumble.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I wouldn't have expected them to add Diablo 4 or COD this year, as they are new games and had already sold physical and digital copies when it was understood they would not launch day and date on GP. There would be quite a shit show if they all of a sudden added them to GP after selling copies outright to millions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I cannot see how they can maintain the traditional CoD structure when on GamePass. The SP campaign must cost a hefty chunk of the production budget, whereas the MP side is where nearly all the monetization is.

Including a new CoD on GamePass is basically blowing all that (campaign's budget) expenditure for limited gains, because the theme-park model they've employed for years appeals to a bunch of different group interests. For example, those not interested in MP or Zombies might see this as a win for them, but those for whom the other two aspects are the draw are likely not going to see the appeal. Especially when they anticipate spending a lot on Battlepass and DLC its not really elevating their interest in GP.

In fact they might feel slighted by them being still asked to pay full AAA price for such limited content, when they could get the "big ticket" part with a sub. While on the other hand, from their standpoint the alternative of getting through GP would entail them being tied down to an extra (unwanted) subscription to continue to play the one game they are interested in...

It just doesn't fit in my view.

ByWatterson

I just want to again emphasize that, barring preexisting Sony contracts, they can do this literally any time they want, and being purchased is not required.

Like they could do it for free.

Drew1440

Hopefully they will bring back Guitar Hero, that could work quite well as a service (Subscribe and get a few streamable songs, similar to how Spotify works)

Top Bottom