• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses in "Born to Play" Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Deadpool over the weekend (which was phenomenal btw), and I left the theater thinking that Deadpool was a character that Ryan Reynolds was born to play. As in, his manuerisms, wit, delivery of lines, looks, etc.. all lined up perfectly for him to perform the role in a way that few, if any, other actors could.

ryan-reynolds-deadpool-52315.jpg

Other actors I thought of were Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man:
reg_1024.ironman.jlc.081612.jpeg

And Hugh Jackman as Wolverine:
Hugh-Jackman1-e1374422781715.jpg

So what do you think, GAF? Obviously these are all comic book characters, but I'd like to see more genres. What other actors/actresses have fulfilled roles like these?

Prompto

Banned
J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson
Patrick Stewart as Proffesor X
Ian Mckellen as Magneto

Also rewatching The Sopranos currently and I can't think of any other actor who could play the character of Tony Soprano as well as James Gandolfini did.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
At least with deadpool, he was namedropped in the comics long before he appeared in movies

SJRB

Gold Member
HawsxFb.jpg

Jeremy Piven was born to play Ari Gold. No matter how much he himself seems to dislike the character, his portayal is perfect and pretty much singlehandedly carried the show [AND the movie].

Viewt

I'd actually disagree that Jackman was "born to play" Logan, though he's certainly found a great take on the character. His best work is still firmly outside the realm of superheroics, though (The Prestige, Prisoners).

There are also weird cases where roles that are seemingly perfect for an actor just fall flat. For example, there's no reason why Anthony Hopkins shouldn't be great as Odin. He's got the Shakespeare background, the vocal and visual gravitas, and there's a lot of great reference material for a wonderful take on the Allfather. But even if they handed him a decent characterization, he just doesn't give a shit, and is happy to read his lines off a cue card.

Anyway, to actually answer your question, I'd go with Alan Rickman as Snape. He embodies the disdain, the quiet intensity, and the vulnerability of the character so damn well. Such a wonderful actor.

Heath Ledger maybe wasn't born to play the Joker, but he did die to play the Joker.

See, I think Heath Ledger was phenomenal as the Joker. He's the best incarnation of the Joker yet IMO and totally deserve the Best Actors Oscar nod.

With that said, that's where this kind of odd distinction comes into play. I don't think he was born to play the role. He worked his ass off to create a character that was amazing, and he completely pulled it off, but it didn't feel like it came naturally to him like some of the other roles mentioned above. It's hard to describe, and it's a weird distinction, but I feel it's a legitimate one.

Platy

Jack Black in school of rock ? =P

Ron Perlman as Hellboy !

Also, while Hugh Jackman did an AWESOME job with the wolverine role ... he was not BORN to play the role because he was BORN too tall to play wolverine =P

Ryce

Do original characters count? Because James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston were born to play Tony Soprano and Walter White, respectively.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
3iArFrO.jpg

That's another good one. Wasn't Alan Rickman Rowling's dream casting for Snape or something like that?

Supposedly Rickman was one of three actors Rowling requested (other's being Maggie Smith as McGonagall and Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid). Though, Rickman was offered the role only after Tim Roth turned it down.

Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men is literally just Charlie Sheen. Wait... I guess that doesn't really count.

Marvel films are pretty good with getting this across, like people have said RDJ as Tony Stark, but I have a pretty hard time imagining anybody else other than Chris Evans playing Steve Rogers now too.

At least with deadpool, he was namedropped in the comics long before he appeared in movies

Not a one time thing with Marvel characters

KTVOEvy.jpg

Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl in Popeye.

Pretty sure Robert Altman sold it to her on the fact she was born to play the role, in fact.

Joni

His original Joker, Mark Hamill's The Trickster

tumblr_nm3u3h7jG71rq49qyo3_r1_250.gif

Wentworth Miller, boring actor, until he becomes Captain Cold

tumblr_no9mztU2VY1sdv4q6o2_500.gif

Andy Withfield, Spartacus reincarnated

latest

Crixus, Manu Bennet perfection

tumblr_nr4nb1kewz1siq8rfo1_400.gif

Grant Gustin, aka Lightning Gave Me Abs kid

tumblr_nbb2j27nl71trkfzio1_400.gif

Hawkeye Pierce, sometimes called Alan Alda.

tumblr_n72o6kbiNm1rag6z6o1_250.gif

Wentworth Miller, boring actor, until he becomes Captain Cold

tumblr_no9mztU2VY1sdv4q6o2_500.gif

Andy Withfield, Spartacus reincarnated

latest

Crixus, Manu Bennet perfection

tumblr_nr4nb1kewz1siq8rfo1_400.gif

Grant Gustin, aka Lightning Gave Me Abs kid

tumblr_nbb2j27nl71trkfzio1_400.gif

Hawkeye Pierce, sometimes called Alan Alda.

tumblr_n72o6kbiNm1rag6z6o1_250.gif

I can't say I agree with literally any of these picks, except maybe Hawkeye Pierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom