• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses in "Born to Play" Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't read all the books, but the girl they found to play Arya Stark in the Game of Thrones series is perfect on the role!

Arya in the books has been also called "Arya Horseface" due to her lanky figure and gaunt face. That said, Maisie Williams is amazing playing her!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Denzel as Malcolm X

large_malcolm_x_blu-ray_12.jpg

Joni

Really. These you think these dudes were born to play these roles?
Who the hell are ANY of these people?

And:
6.jpg

One of those people has almost been acting since Ford was born.

Im not sure someone can really be "born to play a role" when they've played like 2 rolls in their entire career.
If you have gotten your perfect role, why else do you need another one?

You know... you're right. He's not a great actor, but I couldn't see anyone else playing Riddick.

Also, for better or for worse:

ForrestGump2.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the film but he truly personalized the role.

Yup. Riddick is an amazing character and such a badass. Vin Diesel plays him well I think but his acting skills aren't exactly great hahaha.

Forrest Gump couldn't be anyone else, you're 100% right!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Joe Pesci was created in a lab to be the best Italian mob gangster. He bleeds tomato sauce.

nevx8o6.jpg

Linda Carter as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman (although she would've made a good 'Linda Carter Student Nurse' if Marvel was using a live action version of her during the 1970s).

O'Shea Jackson, Jr., literally is born to play his Dad.

ice-cube-1-435.jpg

Besides the pun on this, I have to say. Friends told me that they were disappointed that there was not more emphasis on Easy-E's character and there was too much Dre.

I won't say I disagree with it and I think Easy was the best character (thematically) but I was just so blown away by this kid.

It would be so hard to nail Ice Cube because he is the king of "resting bitch face" and his son portrays him EXACTLY like that, but at the same time, he knows how to act with his eyes.
He completely sold me. Insane performance!

"Born to play" probably means something different to different people, but to me it's best exemplified when you have an existing character and you hear someone's name associated with it and you just think "YES". It's not so much about an actor transforming him or herself as it is their public persona already fitting a certain role.

So, for instance, while Heath Ledger did an amazing job and arguably even best job of playing the Joker, I wouldn't say he was 'born to play it'. That'd be something more along the lines of Jack Nicholson, which had most people nodding along in agreement and going "oh, yes, yes" when first hearing of his casting.

a21att6.jpg

One example I think that never actually came to pass was Gillian Andersen as Clarice Starling. Now, I don't actually think she'd necessarily do the best job of playing the part, but it fits so well with her resume that it almost makes too much sense. All she'd pretty much have to do is put on a southern accent and she's good to go. In fact, she apparently lobbied for the part in Hannibal and one of the reasons she didn't get it was her role in the X-Files was too similar.

Also as Fred Flintsone
17-goodman-theflintstones.jpg

This one might well be the best example in the thread yet. Hell, it would not surprise me if the reason they even MADE a Flinstones movie in the first place was John Goodman was around to play Fred.

Another:
EpDMtVi.jpg

Skux

"Born to play" probably means something different to different people, but to me it's best exemplified when you have an existing character and you hear someone's name associated with it and you just think "YES". It's not so much about an actor transforming him or herself as it is their public persona already fitting a certain role.

Yeah, "born to play" means "their real life personality/appearance is a perfect fit for this character". You can't just retroactively fit the title on an actor just because they did a great job on a character.

Iw8F2n6.png

King Theoden as played by Bernard Hill. Often overlooked, the character has some of the best quotes of the trilogy and the nuances of his character are subtly but effectively captured by Hill.

nFMasWB.jpg

Davos Seaworth as played by Liam Cunningham. Dude captures the stubborn loyalty of the Onion Knight perfectly.

See, I think Heath Ledger was phenomenal as the Joker. He's the best incarnation of the Joker yet IMO and totally deserve the Best Actors Oscar nod.

With that said, that's where this kind of odd distinction comes into play. I don't think he was born to play the role. He worked his ass off to create a character that was amazing, and he completely pulled it off, but it didn't feel like it came naturally to him like some of the other roles mentioned above. It's hard to describe, and it's a weird distinction, but I feel it's a legitimate one.

Oh yeah, this is the same point I was trying to make earlier and missed this.

Like, Meryl Streep is an amazing actress but the entire reason she gets accolades is that she can completely disappear into a role. What amazed people about The Iron Lady is that she pulled it off even though she was absolutely NOT born to play Margaret Thatcher, she's nothing like her.

(I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone or discourage anyone's picks, just wanna get a discuss what it means for someone to be "born to play" a part).

Like, Meryl Streep is an amazing actress but the entire reason she gets accolades is that she can completely disappear into a role. What amazed people about The Iron Lady is that she pulled it off even though she was absolutely NOT born to play Margaret Thatcher, she's nothing like her.

Argh, forgot to mention that a role Meryl Streep would be "born to play" would have to be like a master of disguise or shape shifter or something.

Rami Malek as Elliot on Mr Robot

mr-robot-rami-malek-slice-600x200.jpg

I mean he's even wearing his own hoodie on the show, so his look is almost as important as the acting. The show was dead in the water at the casting stage until he showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom