• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses in "Born to Play" Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainr_

Ryan Reynolds and RDJ are basically Deadpool and IronMan, I don't really see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (personality wise) but his face now is = to wolverine...

My contribution is everyone in this picture:
addams-family.jpg

This is a good one. Perfect casting all the way through.

Viewt

He's fantastic in the TV show Chuck, and a major reason why his time in it the series was at its absolute best.

I saw Chuck and agree! I also like him as Ray Palmer on the various CW shows. But I still feel like he's got a great Superman performance in him that will likely never see the light of day now.

SeanC

Wow, so many good ones. Here's a couple that popped into my head

Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive

1290100651758570157.jpg

My man in Escape from NY/LA

Snake_Plissken.png

3rdman

Don't know if its been mentioned yet...

Clarke Gable as Rhett Butler
360_arhett_1119.jpg

If I recall, there was such a consensus about it, the producers felt there was no other option for the role.

Sheroking

Connery has Bond, Arnold as Conan and Jackman as Wolverine weren't so much born to play those roles as they were so good or popular in those roles, they completely changed the perception of what those characters were.

People don't picture the self-loathing Fleming character when you say "James Bond", they picture Connery. People don't picture a strategic genius when you say "Conan the Barbarian", they think "WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?". People don't picture hairy, enraged midget when you say Wolverine, they picture a dismissive Hugh Jackman.

CLEEK

When my wife and I can't think of anything else to watch on Netflix, we often put on Malcolm in the Middle. The cast is fantastic throughout, but Lois is the linchpin of everything. The show would be entirely different if Jane Kaczmarek wasn't in the role.

10992_1213484679632_500_284.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Saoirse Ronan as Eilis in Brooklyn, to offer a more literal example. In the film (which I've still yet to see), Eilis is sent over to America by her sister in hopes of a better life and returns to Ireland following a personal tragedy; in real life, as Saoirse's explained probably 500 times since the film premiered at Sundance last year, her parents moved to America in the 80s due to Ireland being in the midst of a recession, but it was her mother that made the trip first as her sister bought her a plane ticket, and they eventually moved back to Ireland when Saoirse was around 3 (to Carlow, which is only around 20 minutes away from Eilis' hometown of Enniscorthy), plus by the time the film finally got off the ground, she had moved away from home herself and was having a tough time dealing with the very same type of homesickness Eilis experiences ("I wish I could stop feeling like I want to be an Irish girl in Ireland").

Rooney Mara was originally cast in the part.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
some good mentions already, gonna post a couple more

Gary Oldman - George Smiley

Laurence Olivier - Henry V

Edward G. Robinson - Little Caesar

Schwarzenegger - Terminator

Michael Sheen - Brian Clough

Sigourney Weaver - Ellen Ripley

Richard Harris - Albus Dumbledore (sigh)

Christoph Waltz - Hans Landa

Joe Pesci - various mafia guys

Ian McKellen - Gandalf

Bill Duke - Cooke

Ryan Reynolds and RDJ are basically Deadpool and IronMan, I don't really see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (personality wise) but his face now is = to wolverine...

My contribution is everyone in this picture:
addams-family.jpg

I'll go a step further and say no one else could have been M. Bison as well. That movie is my guilty pleasure, thanks to Raul.

Fury451

Banned

Yeah, I think he's underrated for how well he fits with Cap as I interpret him.
Rami Malek as Elliot on Mr Robot

mr-robot-rami-malek-slice-600x200.jpg

I mean he's even wearing his own hoodie on the show, so his look is almost as important as the acting. The show was dead in the water at the casting stage until he showed up.

So, so true. I found him compelling in The Pacific, but he really runs away with the show for Mr. Robot. He's a hugely talented actor.

601px-Dn-fn1.jpg

"That's a Smith & Wesson. And you've had your six..."

As much as I love Connery, both as Bond and in general, I'd say that Pierce Brosnan was even more perfect for the role in every way (though Connery is really, really close). Which makes it so much more of a shame that his Bond movies were so fucking awful.

Richard Harris - Albus Dumbledore (sigh)

While he nailed the role for the earlier, idealized portrayals of Dumbledore, I think Michael Gambon ended up being a much better fit for the far more complex and flawed reality of the character in the end.

640px-4x13_-_Face_Off_22.png

Cranston was perfection.

Well, the role was basically written with him in mind, but yeah. :p No one else could have pulsed it off.

Tilda Swinton as David Bowie

Seriously, it's going to happen, right?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire

4l9D94I.gif

Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia

s4MLORW.png

Renée Jeanne Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc

p8V9su6.jpg

raphier

Banned
To this day my favorite female character in movie history. Just look how fucking badass she looks. To me, that particular picture is the archetype of "strong, badass woman".

then you gonna love this:

1000302151280jpg-3b018e_1280w.jpg

currently best casting on TV. So spot on.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Someone might have already said it, but even so it bears repeating:

Matthew Lillard as Shaggy in Scooby Doo.

Measley

Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave.

46453600.cached.jpg

I'm shocked he didn't get an oscar for that role. Dude was so good he made Brad Pitt look like a middle school actor. He even nailed his southern accent better than some American actors I've seen.

Amy Adams as Giselle in Enchanted.

IZARwEK.gif

She pulls off the naive and cliched disney princess act quite brilliantly. Plus it was her first major role in a movie so most people automatically associate her with Giselle even years later.

Not only did she give a solid performance but also did an amazing job as the songstress.

tkscz

Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conor

Linda-Hamilton-as-Sarah-Connor.jpg

Came to post this. She did such an amazing job playing the tough, but still very emotional mom. When it was time to throw down, she went all in, and when it was time to break down, she went all in and she was believable every step of the way. Good narrator as well.

wesley-snipes-returns-for-blade-4-0901-.jpg

Wesley snipes made a Blade so perfect, Marvel went straight back to him the moment he got out of jail.

Came to post this. She did such an amazing job playing the tough, but still very emotional mom. When it was time to throw down, she went all in, and when it was time to break down, she went all in and she was believable every step of the way. Good narrator as well.

wesley-snipes-returns-for-blade-4-0901-.jpg

Wesley snipes made a Blade so perfect, Marvel went straight back to him the moment he got out of jail.

Yea Snipes is the definitive Blade... so much so that anyone else will feel like a cheap knock-off.

Same with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, (now) Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Also ++ on Rami Malek for Mr. Robot.

Platy

then you gonna love this:

1000302151280jpg-3b018e_1280w.jpg

currently best casting on TV. So spot on.

Oh yeas this is an awesome image !

...what are you talking about ?????

HOW do you expect someone, who you KNOW don't know what you are talking about, discover what tv show this is ?

Just thought of this one:

ffxIKYwEwwhjy.gif

I do feel like Peter Dinklage was born to play Tyrion Lannister. No one else could play the character like he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom