• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler's: On Xbox One and PS4's Resolutiongate, and Day One Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
What strikes me about all of this is the historical hypocrisy. Even die hard Sony fans in 06 felt that Sony deserved the criticism and sharp feedback they were barraged with at the time. And rightly so, the consumers would be the ones to benefit from inevitable price drops and feature enhancements that were demanded. The press were at least equally critical. I'm sure it would only take a matter of minutes to find numerous interviews with various Sony execs, drilling them as to why more expensive and powerful hardware couldn't compete visually with 360 titles in the first year or two of the PS3's life cycle. A couple of Geoff Keighley interviews come to mind, but I could be mistaken.

Yet now, a good portion of the gaming press is not only ignoring Microsoft's recent missteps, they're creating excuses, speculative justifications and in some cases, blatantly misleading their audience regarding substantial, fundamental performance differences between the two hardware platforms. Resolutiongate is just one small facet of this ongoing saga. The excuses started well before the press had games on both platforms to compare. I'm not saying Microsoft deserves harsh criticism simply because Sony deserved it when they were floundering, that it's tit for tat. I'm only saying it's ok to point out and analyze the patently obvious. That is why these journalists exist in the first place, is it not? Why can't their be meaningful dialog about these performance differences, about piss poor decision making in general?

It would be nice to know there are outlets that exist that will speak truthfully about the current state of affairs, no matter how unpleasant they may be. We can handle it.

daman824

What is there to talk about? What conclusion can you reach?

Yes these consoles are more powerful, but we can't evaluate if this power can be used to bring something new to the gaming space until that hypothetical game gets released.
Arguably, new things are getting brought to the table. It's just that threads discussing those things drop of into obscurity within 30 minutes.

Curufinwe

Over simplifying Sessler's arguments to fit your agenda is simple minded. You're only talking in absolutes when he never speaks in such terms. Your distorting his message so you can feel justified in flaming him.

What about when he compared the price of the PS4 and the camera and a PS+ subscription to the price of the Xbone on the assumption that Xbox Live was absolutely free?

daman824

What strikes me about all of this is the historical hypocrisy. Even die hard Sony fans in 06 felt that Sony deserved the criticism and sharp feedback they were barraged with at the time. And rightly so, the consumers would be the ones to benefit from inevitable price drops and feature enhancements that were demanded. The press were at least equally critical. I'm sure it would only take a matter of minutes to find numerous interviews with various Sony execs, drilling them as to why more expensive and powerful hardware couldn't compete visually with 360 titles in the first year or two of the PS3's life cycle. A couple of Geoff Keighley interviews come to mind, but I could be mistaken.

Yet now, a good portion of the gaming press is not only ignoring Microsoft's recent missteps, they're creating excuses, speculative justifications and in some cases, blatantly misleading their audience regarding substantial, fundamental performance differences between the two hardware platforms. Resolutiongate is just one small facet of this ongoing saga. The excuses started well before the press had games on both platforms to compare. I'm not saying Microsoft deserves harsh criticism simply because Sony deserved it when they were floundering, that it's tit for tat. I'm only saying it's ok to point out and analyze the patently obvious. That is why these journalists exist in the first place, is it not? Why can't their be meaningful dialog about these performance differences, about piss poor decision making in general?

It would be nice to know there are outlets that exist that will speak truthfully about the current state of affairs, no matter how unpleasant they may be. We can handle it.
Wait until reviews come out. The embargo exists for a reason.

Jomjom

Banned
Arguably, new things are getting brought to the table. It's just that threads discussing those things drop of into obscurity within 30 minutes.

Like what though? What new things? The power in these consoles have existed in the form of PC GPUs for almost two years now. Whatever new gameplay mechanics, AI, etc., these consoles can bring to the table, will that be a result of some Einsteinian developer simply coming up with something nobody else has thought of, or will it be because of the power that has existed for almost two years now?

If anything, wouldn't it be more interesting to discuss what the new Titan or R9 290 will possibly bring to gaming? Consoles don't operate in a vacuum.

You don't find it a bit backwards to be discussing something like it's a "sky is the limit" situation, when that limit was surpassed almost 2 years ago?

turnbuckle

Yes. Context is key here.

And the context in this very case is a comparison between two different versions of the same game. In this case, his argument about "new experiences" or whatever is completely irrelevant. We are talking about a comparison of two different platforms on which to have more or less the same experience, in which one machine is performing at a higher level than the other.

That's the context. That's the subjject he's addressing.

So, in context, by bringing up this "new experiences" argument in a discussion about the measurable, technical differences between two versions of the same game, Sessler is not only moving the goalposts...he's trying to burn down the scoreboard.

You don't see how, in talking about two versions of the same game, this sudden blindspot towards measurable technical deficiencies in the XBone version is troubling? You honestly can't reason past his trumped-up argument about "new experiences" to see that it's a classic fallacy of "false choice?"

Look, for months we've known about the numbers. The numbers say the PS4 is the more powerful console. More FLOP performance, more ROPs, more ACEs, faster RAM, ect. We've known that. But the dialog we've gotten in response from Microsoft, (both in the media and even directly here with executives like Albert Penello and his "technical fellow" here on GAF,) the media pundits, and the XBone fans has been basically, "the numbers don't tell the whole story...wait until you see the games!"

Well, we're seeing the games. Now they want us to ignore what we're seeing.

But what we are seeing is important. The reason why multi-platform console titles are important is because, in the console world, the public doesn't have access to benchmarking results. If any multi-plat dev teams do benchmark the hardware, those results are locked behind licensing agreements and NDAs. While multiplatform games will never be a true benchmark, they are a valuable "snapshot" look at the state of the boxes and what these very smart teams of developers can wring out of them at the time.

Why is the technical performance of the box so important? Because, even though framerate and resolution are way more important than some pundits are now trying to claim, it won't always be about putting more pixels on screen, or refreshing the screen at a higher framerate. The same power that lets you do those things is the same power that lets you present more immersive art assets, makes an AI routine a little smarter, makes a character animate better, or makes more physics possible.

...and that gets us right back to Sessler's core point about making better games.

...and that gets us right back to Sessler being a huge hypocrite.

...and that gets us right back to the part where he and his defenders try to make US GAMERS the bad guys for pointing out his hypocrisy.

Quoting ya because there's nothing left for me to say.

Really disappointed in Sessler. I stopped subbing to his podcast and am just done with him. There are very few reviewers left I have any faith in. I'm basically stuck with with what GAF tells me on most things anymore, and even that can be difficult since a lot of time dissenting opinions can be frowned on in OT threads. Oftentimes it can look like trolling. And it's hard to sometimes know if someone on here is genuine, but that's why it's nice having lots of different voices.

Salaadin

Link?

Because people keep repeating the same lie, over and over again.

The Sessler video that people are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2iVUMRD3A

To sum up the video:
  • Microsoft didn't have a policy problem with DRM just a messaging problem (continued through most of the video)
  • If you include playstation plus and playstation eye PS4 is actually more expensive then the Xbox one
  • The "angry internet mob" changed XBO policies instead spending time on something more useful
  • We don't have enough information about PS4 and Sony and is talking down from the ivory tower just like Microsoft is
  • Sessler isn't a biased fanboy, but anyone criticizing him a very very sad fanboy that only derives his identity from the company he argues for

Here

tfur

So we have NDA's to cover the truth.

Do we also have embargo's of embargo's?

This seems like something closer to the meat of the issue.

I was about to say, "games journalist = oxymoron." But that was an great interview, relatively speaking. Really liked that this guy asked those questions. Mark Rubin's non-answers were, indeed answers. How bad does, "I can't talk about that" sound? Ugh.

Faustek

What I have learned so far.

A non gaming dedicated news site has better questions, so far(NDAs might screw the dedicated over), than the dedicated ones?

David Jenkins is THE man and Mark Rubin is THE diplomat.

I need to re-read this thread feels like there must be tons of more stuff I need to evaluate because I still feel everywhere and nowhere.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Wait until reviews come out. The embargo exists for a reason.

As if impressions and reviews of cross platform titles is the only item of concern here. Like I said, the excuses started well before the media were even playing games on either platform. Did you even read the entire post?

Like what though? What new things? The power in these consoles have existed in the form of PC GPUs for almost two years now. Whatever new gameplay mechanics, AI, etc., these consoles can bring to the table, will that be a result of some Einsteinian developer simply coming up with something nobody else has thought of, or will it be because of the power that has existed for almost two years now?

If anything, wouldn't it be more interesting to discuss what the new Titan or R9 290 will possibly bring to gaming? Consoles don't operate in a vacuum.
As soon as I'm out of debt I'm building a bleeding edge gaming PC. I'll play the 'sclusives on consoles, but the 3rd parties will be PC.

And of course I'll continue to do my actual day to day computing on a Mac because Windows is still pretty awful.

So we have NDA's to cover the truth.

Do we also have embargo's of embargo's?

This seems like something closer to the meat of the issue.

Yep

iwZBrXZzGxdJB.jpg

See? He never said it's not important, just not as important as design.

He says: "it's disappointing to see the same problem happen again", referring to sub 1080p resolutions. How does that translate to "it doesn't matter at all"?

----

Over simplifying Sessler's arguments to fit your agenda is simple minded. You're only talking in absolutes when he never speaks in such terms. Your distorting his message so you can feel justified in flaming him.

You are being obtuse in your discussion of a semantic difference in others' arguments.

Much of the controversy coming from Sessler's newfound lack of care for 1080p graphics stems from the context of how his previous comments were stated. The connotations surrounding his phrasing back then are completely different than they are today. Back then, he claimed that reaching 1080p and 60fps was just console manufacturers "doing their jobs," implying that it was expected of them. The controversy comes from the fact that now that one of the two consoles does not reach that "standard" that he had set for next gen a few months ago, the standard has changed. It's not so much that Sony isn't getting enough praise for being more powerful; it's that Sessler has shifted his expectations to avoid any sort of negative questioning of Microsoft for failing to reach his aforementioned standard. So now, rather than having to stick to his guns and ask Microsoft why they didn't do their "job," he can claim that the differences don't matter, because games.

Which is especially asinine when considering that the whole "resolutiongate" issue revolves around the same games. It's a non-argument that only muddys the water and sends threads such as these in endless circles. The "games" side does not even belong in the conversation, as the games themselves are 100% the same. The issue is not between "bland shooter game #45" and "innovative, groundbreaking new IP"--it's between "Game X" and "Game X." The argument isn't even necessarily that resolution is, in and of itself, the main issue. The argument is that these resolution differences are endemic to weaker hardware--something that can indeed impact "games."

LifEndz

Thanks for sharing. Haven't read or seen a games media guy continue with follow-ups like that I a long time. Most media people may have asked the question, but they would immediately laugh allowing Rubin to laugh off the answer. This guy stuck with it. Well done.
It is a good article. Deserves the clicks!

Guri

Yes. Context is key here.

And the context in this very case is a comparison between two different versions of the same game. In this case, his argument about "new experiences" or whatever is completely irrelevant. We are talking about a comparison of two different platforms on which to have more or less the same experience, in which one machine is performing at a higher level than the other.

That's the context. That's the subjject he's addressing.

So, in context, by bringing up this "new experiences" argument in a discussion about the measurable, technical differences between two versions of the same game, Sessler is not only moving the goalposts...he's trying to burn down the scoreboard.

You don't see how, in talking about two versions of the same game, this sudden blindspot towards measurable technical deficiencies in the XBone version is troubling? You honestly can't reason past his trumped-up argument about "new experiences" to see that it's a classic fallacy of "false choice?"

Look, for months we've known about the numbers. The numbers say the PS4 is the more powerful console. More FLOP performance, more ROPs, more ACEs, faster RAM, ect. We've known that. But the dialog we've gotten in response from Microsoft, (both in the media and even directly here with executives like Albert Penello and his "technical fellow" here on GAF,) the media pundits, and the XBone fans has been basically, "the numbers don't tell the whole story...wait until you see the games!"

Well, we're seeing the games. Now they want us to ignore what we're seeing.

But what we are seeing is important. The reason why multi-platform console titles are important is because, in the console world, the public doesn't have access to benchmarking results. If any multi-plat dev teams do benchmark the hardware, those results are locked behind licensing agreements and NDAs. While multiplatform games will never be a true benchmark, they are a valuable "snapshot" look at the state of the boxes and what these very smart teams of developers can wring out of them at the time.

Why is the technical performance of the box so important? Because, even though framerate and resolution are way more important than some pundits are now trying to claim, it won't always be about putting more pixels on screen, or refreshing the screen at a higher framerate. The same power that lets you do those things is the same power that lets you present more immersive art assets, makes an AI routine a little smarter, makes a character animate better, or makes more physics possible.

...and that gets us right back to Sessler's core point about making better games.

...and that gets us right back to Sessler being a huge hypocrite.

...and that gets us right back to the part where he and his defenders try to make US GAMERS the bad guys for pointing out his hypocrisy.

This is a very interesting point. But I disagree on the point that Adam would be trying to somehow downplay one or another console. I don't think he cares about the platform as long as he has fun with the games. I could be wrong, because I started following him after he got into Rev3, but I never saw him comparing how one game performs on one console and on the other.

I think we can all agree that the discussion you're trying to have is about the same game performing differently on a technical level in platforms that should be at least the same. And I think that makes sense. They should. And it's a valid discussion.

What I don't think it's ok is to start judging someone that is not interested in talking about technical stuff. On his video with Total Biscuit, he let TB talk about all tech stuff and just listened. I strongly believe that there should be more game journalists talking about technical aspects. I really do. But I also believe that there should be the ones who talk only about the game design. And, of course, both subjects. But I don't think every game journalist needs to talk about technical stuff.

But that's just my opinion.

daman824

Like the change from linearity in killzone, open world with no loading + a shit ton of zombies in dead rising 3, ect.. Everyone seems too willing to ignore or forget that these games are pushing the systems in ways that are way more impressive than resolutions.

Jomjom

Banned
This is a very interesting point. But I disagree on the point that Adam would be trying to somehow downplay one or another console. I don't think he cares about the platform as long as he has fun with the games. I could be wrong, because I started following him after he got into Rev3, but I never saw him comparing how one game performs on one console and on the other.

I think people have already posted reviews from him when he was on that show with Morgan Webb, that did that very thing, except it was when PS3 versions were performing worse than 360 versions.

Like the change from linearity in killzone, open world with no loading + a shit ton of zombies in dead rising 3, ect.. Everyone seems too willing to ignore or forget that these games are pushing the systems in ways that are way more impressive than resolutions.

Again, this has been doable for a long time now, it's not new. Rendering more characters onscreen at once compared to the previous gen is nothing new, because it literally happens every gen. Again, more and more open worlds with less and less loading, happens every gen. None of this is new, which is why nobody is discussing it.

daman824

As if impressions and reviews of cross platform titles is the only item of concern here. Like I said, the excuses started well before the media were even playing games on either platform. Did you even read the entire post?
When the reviews come out, people will be shown the version differences in their entirety. If they were just going to downplay, then the embargo wouldn't exist.

Faustek

Re-reading the thread and a few things I will like to point out.

Noticed how much gamer blogs have exploded the last few years versus the mainstay sites? They have to buy their own games, and they have no issue dishing dirt and rumors because they have no allegiances.

Tinycartridge is really fun there, a few developers have come forth there, mostly it's talking about other games both in a positive and negative light so it's really refreshing.

I haven't checked Angry Joe lately, but he's hopefully still clean. Sad that the only journalists on our side are basically the lunatic fringe.

Can't see if he really did get blacklisted...still hoping it's a false rumour.

At the end of the day, your Bluetooth enabled Kia with leather seats gets you to the same destination as your Cadillac with mostly the same experience once you're inside the car. Sure, the ride might be a little bumpier if the roads are bad, and there are aesthetic differences, but in the end you get to the same destination.

....at least that would be Sessler's argument.

But what if the Kia were more expensive than the Cadillac? Wouldn't that warrant some questioning of the Kia representatives?

I think we can all agree that the discussion you're trying to have is about the same game performing differently on a technical level in platforms that should be at least the same. And I think that makes sense. They should. And it's a valid discussion.

What I don't think it's ok is to start judging someone that is not interested in talking about technical stuff. On his video with Total Biscuit, he let TB talk about all tech stuff and just listened. I strongly believe that there should be more game journalists talking about technical aspects. I really do. But I also believe that there should be the ones who talk only about the game design. And, of course, both subjects. But I don't think every game journalist needs to talk about technical stuff.

If he doesn't know about tech stuff then why did he bring up 1080p @ 60fps being the standard previously?

When the reviews come out, people will be shown the version differences in their entirety. If they were just going to downplay, then the embargo wouldn't exist.

Here I think you may have something. I do believe that Microsoft may be afriad that reviews will reflect such differences. But whether or not Microsoft fear it, the issue being discussed in this thread is more specific to Sessler (at least the OP is, since then we've broadened it to multiple journos). Sessler's recent statements have led me to believe that he is more likely to neglect to mention the differences, or at least to downplay them like hell. The embargo does not exist for journalists like Sessler--they essentially have nothing to fear from him.

The same is true for pretty much all of the journalists who downplayed or defended the DRM with phrases like "entitled gamers" or "their messaging is wrong," or "Sony will do this too."

Nymphae

Banned
If you want to see a games journalist asking some really tough questions give this a read.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-...-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

Good read, he actually asks some good questions.

GC: So the obvious assumption from all this is that the PlayStation 4 is definitely more powerful than the Xbox One, is that true?

MR: [acting very embarrassed] I can’t answer that.

I really don't understand this, he can't comment on known hardware specs?

jedimike

If you look at something like trucks, one manufacturer always has a truck with more horsepower than the others. It is certainly on the spec sheets and mentioned by auto journalists, but let's face it they are both trucks. They haul stuff and pull stuff and do what trucks do.

The XB1 and PS4 both play games marvelously. They are both "trucks" and the job of gaming journalists is not to argue about horsepower, it's about describing how well the trucks function at their jobs. So while an F-150 may have more horsepower, a Ram has better cargo loading. What's the point of arguing horsepower as long as they get the job done?

In the case of Nintendo, they decided to stop selling trucks and started selling something like a truck... Maybe a crossover.

So as long as I'm seeing that the XB1 is able to deliver a quality gaming experience (it does) than journalists should move on to more consumer driven features.

I'm just not seeing the outrage here... It's like you guys are saying the XB1 isn't worthy of being classified a gaming console.

If you want to see a games journalist asking some really tough questions give this a read.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-...-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

From the article:

GC: Okay, that’s fine. I think we can all read between those lines. But that’s absurd, how can they not except any journalist, any reasonable journalist, not to ask that question? It’s what everyone wants to know.

MR: [still feeling very awkward] The key thing is we try to focus people away from that sort of thing and try to focus them on the fact that the game is fun no matter what platform it’s on.

Unbelievable.

mrtapout

Banned
So at the end of the day, and assuming the x1 version wont have framerate issues like the 360 (PS4 and PS3 version have horrible fps)

Would you rather have

PS4 version with 1080p, weaker framerate and potentially worse textures
x1 version with 720p, rock solid framerate and better textures (and better online)

Kalren

But he has downplayed consoles, or rather the PS4 specifically. A few months back he was saying that Sony is no better than Microsoft and to expect that Sony would come out with similar policies. And while Sony has had a few issues leading into launch, the other shoe hasn't dropped. He's been very apologetic in relation to Microsoft asking for time to allow more information to come forth. Again, the desire to wait is fine, but not all the minute details need to come out before a reasonable conclusion can be reached.

That's fine is Adam doesn't focus on the technical side of things but it doesn't excuse the back and forth statements he makes.

The Potatoman gave a summary.

The Sessler video that people are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2iVUMRD3A

To sum up the video:
  • Microsoft didn't have a policy problem with DRM just a messaging problem (continued through most of the video)
  • If you include playstation plus and playstation eye PS4 is actually more expensive then the Xbox one
  • The "angry internet mob" changed XBO policies instead spending time on something more useful
  • We don't have enough information about PS4 and Sony and is talking down from the ivory tower just like Microsoft is
  • Sessler isn't a biased fanboy, but anyone criticizing him a very very sad fanboy that only derives his identity from the company he argues for

So at the end of the day, and assuming the x1 version wont have framerate issues like the 360 (PS4 and PS3 version have horrible fps)

Would you rather have

x1 version with 720p, rock solid framerate and better textures (and better online)

>_>

Source on this stuff?

Would you rather have

What about a PS4 version with 1080p, 60fps, better textures and better effects?

Because that's what we're dealing with right now.

daman824

I think people have already posted reviews from him when he was on that show with Morgan Webb, that did that very thing, except it was when PS3 versions were performing worse than 360 versions.

Again, this has been doable for a long time now, it's not new. Rendering more characters onscreen at once compared to the previous gen is nothing new, because it literally happens every gen. Again, more and more open worlds with less and less loading, happens every gen. None of this is new, which is why nobody is discussing it.
And yet we get 50 page threads talking about resolution.

Nestersan

Neo Member
But what if the Kia were more expensive than the Cadillac? Wouldn't that warrant some questioning of the Kia representatives?

I would look at it like this:

Two car dealerships across from each other selling Porsches:
Dealer A says you can get a current year model for $60,000 stock.
Dealer B says $50,000 for same model and year with an upgraded engine and suspension.

Everything else being equal, who the hell would buy from Dealer A ?

At present we aren't even talking about XBL vs PSN, we are talking about pure performance and value for money. I don't get what about that the "journalists" don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom