• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! |OT| A Boy and His Dog

TheLight

I could handle the lack of difficulty if the levels were interesting. They're not. The Adventure Time world is amazing and full of interesting locales, but for both the transition areas and the random battles, they all feel the same with a slightly different backdrop. All you're ever doing is moving left to right. There aren't any different paths, no exploration of any kind, no sense of ADVENTURE in my ADVENTURE TIME game.

I don't see what's wrong with enemies offering some sort of challenge with the amount of items you get to regenerate health. Or having enemies that you need to use different tactics to defeat. Or enemies that you need to defeat with a special item. Or enemies that you can't just jump over to continue on, making them nothing more than a gap to jump over.

It's not challenge. It's about having a reason for the enemies to be there in the first place.

No need to start insulting people. :)

I really didn't mean to insult you if I did lol Sorry about that.

I do agree that the format they chose for this game, the Zelda 2 format, probably wasn't the right one. If they had to pick a Zelda game,why not LTTP? As for the avoiding enemies thing, can't you just jump over enemies in most platformers? I don't get that the gripe honestly. If you wanted too, you could avoid enemies in most 2d sidescrollers.

Skilletor

I do agree that the format they chose for this game, the Zelda 2 format, probably wasn't the right one. If they had to pick a Zelda game,why not LTTP? As for the avoiding enemies thing, can't you just jump over enemies in most platformers? I don't get that the gripe honestly. If you wanted too, you could avoid enemies in most 2d sidescrollers.

This isn't a platformer. :p

If they want to have enemies, they should make me WANT to fight them, whether it be through challenge or the sweet loot I could potentially get when I kill them. All of the enemies in this seem like they're there just because the developers felt like enemies should be there.

And yeah, a Zelda LTTP Adventure Time game would've been tops blooby.

I dunno if Wayforward has what it takes to make that kind of game though.

There's nothing wrong with the format, Zelda 2 contains every type of enemy Skilletor says isn't here.

which I guess tells me what I need to know

TheLight

If they want to have enemies, they should make me WANT to fight them, whether it be through challenge or the sweet loot I could potentially get when I kill them. All of the enemies in this seem like they're there just because the developers felt like enemies should be there.

Looking at it I guess you're right. I just didn't mind the lack of incentive for defeating enemies because I'm playing as freaking Finn and Jake. That type of crap is what I bought the game for honestly.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looks cool, but I think I'm going to get them OOT 3D or Sticker Star instead.

Definitely get OoT 3D. It's a must-have for every 3DS owner. Sticker Star is cool too, much better than adventure time. I still like this game, it's nothing special but it has its charms.

Skilletor

Looking at it I guess you're right. I just didn't mind the lack of incentive for defeating enemies because I'm playing as freaking Finn and Jake. That type of crap is what I bought the game for honestly.

What keeps me playing is the awesome dialogue. It's so good.

I just hoped for more. I can only recommend this game with the caveat of "if you like Adventure Time." It's a good game if you like adventure time.

The game part is lacking, though. Unfortunately. :(

I find this slightly ridiculous. It is a platformer and like many platformers you can jump over enemies if you'd rather not fight them. And you do get stuff for beating enemies (granted its an easy game so you don't need all that many health items or power ups, but still.)

Skilletor

I find this slightly ridiculous. It is a platformer and like many platformers you can jump over enemies if you'd rather not fight them. And you do get stuff for beating enemies (granted its an easy game so you don't need all that many health items or power ups, but still.)

I've already explained my opinion. Take it as you will.

Salsa

FINALLY got it :D

played like 1 hour so far. Enjoying it although I wish the level system was more traditional with XP or something. Would give you more of an incentive against enemies.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's not a good game. You literally run back and forth doing fetch quests. There is little to no level design to speak of. The dungeons are super boring. No puzzles, no challenging platforming, no difficult enemies, no cool boss battles. There is no challenge to the enemies. Traversal is super boring, and yet you spend almost the entirety of the game going back from one area to another getting items. The only thing going for it is the license.

I never expected a GOTY contender. I expected a competent game. It failed at that.

Sounds like an extremely faithful Zelda 2 clone to me!

Skilletor

Sounds like an extremely faithful Zelda 2 clone to me!

Like I said, I haven't played Zelda 2 in decades. I can't comment on that. Just on the problems I have with this game.

IGN just gave this a glowingly gushing 8.5 review:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/22/adventure-time-hey-ice-king-whyd-you-steal-our-garbage-review

I cannot believe he gushed over it like that and when trying to come up with negatives he only said lack of voice acting and you have to be a fan. How could he not mention the extremely short length, that is like the main negative people who are playing have with it!

I have no problem with the length since there's absolutely no variety in the gameplay. Its welcome is just long enough for me to begin to realize there's not much else.

I certainly have a problem with the length, considering I paid $39.99 for a collector's edition of a game I beat in 3 hours and 40 minutes, and considering the IGN review rightly lambasted Epic Mickey Power of Illusion for its insanely short length, but gushed over this like it was an epic quest and didn't mention length.

Peagles

Just got my Collector's Editions from videogamesplus, they are awesome I will definitely be buying from them again!

Is this really sold out everywhere? I noticed the eBay prices are pretty high?

Vaati

Banned
I played for about 2 hours and am in the Red Rock area now.

I'm pretty disappointed in the game. It's just fetch quests.

Salsa

Finished it. Enjoyed it and i'll probably do new game+ since it was so short

its cool knowing that apparently no one found the Enchiridion yet.

Beat it in 5 hours. Pretty easy and not a whole lot of depth. Plus a lousy inventory system. But I enjoyed it. Might do NG+. Also during the credits,
wasn't that a terrible tease with Fiona and Cake? I thought they might be playable but that doesn't seem the case.

This music is killer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GngunBg8wVM

iY74eo61BTgwk.gif

IrishNinja

man, this sucks.

ordered the LE through Target, who now has it on backorder. i call to see when they're expecting it & they cant even give a ballpark, much less a guarantee that they'll honor it.

this might not be worth the discount. is the LE readily available elsewhere? id hate to miss out on this because of Target, who i'll likely not be preordering game from again.

Peagles

man, this sucks.

ordered the LE through Target, who now has it on backorder. i call to see when they're expecting it & they cant even give a ballpark, much less a guarantee that they'll honor it.

this might not be worth the discount. is the LE readily available elsewhere? id hate to miss out on this because of Target, who i'll likely not be preordering game from again.

Target just plain suck. I preordered from them ages ago and they confirmed my order initially then cancelled it half an hour later and wouldn't tell me why. All I got back were generic automated emails. Went with VGP instead and they were awesome!

Play-Asia keeps getting a few more copies here and there so maybe keep a watch there? I got a couple of DS ones there (region lock, doh!) just yesterday.

Het_Nkik

So I beat this today. They nailed the look, animation, dialog of the cartoon. Not all of the songs are awesome but the ones that are awesome are super awesome. Props to Jake Kaufman on those. It controls great as well.

The main problem is that there's not much challenge. And I don't mean that because the game is easy. I mean there's literally nothing to challenge you. There's no reason to kill enemies, there's no difficult platforming, and there aren't puzzles to solve to move forward. It's a weird case where the gameplay is there and great but the game isn't designed to make full use of that gameplay.

Also the backtracking is ridiculous at the end when there are so many sidescrolling screens you have to move through.

Overall it's good, not great.

P.S. Enter the Konami Code on the title screen.

Kazerei

Banned
The reviews have been surprisingly positive, while GAF impressions have been more negative. Hmmm. I want to play this game, but I guess I'll wait and hope the price goes down.

Doombear

Review from my 9 year old daughter: It is really fun, but I think I am already almost at the end.

That was after the 3rd day she had it, after playing maybe an hour to an hour and a half each day? For me, it was worth it for the stylus and steelbook alone. For her, I don't think I have ever heard her point out a game's length before, but that could be down to her not playing many games that have a percentage meter (I swear she told me there was one in this, I really don't know).

Skilletor

Review from my 9 year old daughter: It is really fun, but I think I am already almost at the end.

That was after the 3rd day she had it, after playing maybe an hour to an hour and a half each day? For me, it was worth it for the stylus and steelbook alone. For her, I don't think I have ever heard her point out a game's length before, but that could be down to her not playing many games that have a percentage meter (I swear she told me there was one in this, I really don't know).

There is. The fame is 3-4 hours long. I was 50% done about 1.5 hours in.

IrishNinja

is there any real difference between standard and 3DS versions? target is apparently sending the LE for the DS, and given that it's not a 3D game i don't know if i should be bummed about this or not.

Not sure why everyone is being so harsh on it. At its core its a game for 7+ year olds. Shoot I had to babysit kids all the time and this cartoon and regular show was what we watched. Of course its going to be short kids have attention spans the size of a nat. It is a Zelda 2 type game right down to the down sword move. There was backtracking in Zelda 2 especially once you got a move or power up that let you get to a new area.

What I do agree on the is that the areas needed to be a bit more varied. The best one I thought was the scary forest areas.

For a sequel they diffidently need voice acting and animation. Like how much better would the game had been if the sick ass music track for the title had an intro.

Was it me or did some of the music sound like it was from the scott pilgrim game for xbox live and psn.

Skilletor

Not sure why everyone is being so harsh on it. At its core its a game for 7+ year olds. Shoot I had to babysit kids all the time and this cartoon and regular show was what we watched. Of course its going to be short kids have attention spans the size of a nat. It is a Zelda 2 type game right down to the down sword move. There was backtracking in Zelda 2 especially once you got a move or power up that let you get to a new area.

What I do agree on the is that the areas needed to be a bit more varied. The best one I thought was the scary forest areas.

For a sequel they diffidently need voice acting and animation. Like how much better would the game had been if the sick ass music track for the title had an intro.

Was it me or did some of the music sound like it was from the scott pilgrim game for xbox live and psn.

Because "It's a game for 7 year olds" is a silly excuse. Mario is a game for 7 year olds. Adventure Time is a show for 7 year olds. It is entirely possible to appeal to both children and adults. Pretty sure it being designed for 7 year olds has nothing to do with the excessive amount of backtracking, the homogeneous feeling every area gives (except the Ice Kingdom, that was tops blooby. More like that please), how there are about less than a dozen different types of enemies in this game.

Het_Nkik

Yeah, seven-year-olds can still overcome challenges. Hell, just think about the games you played when you were seven (if you played games when you were seven).

There's no excuse for designing a game like this that's devoid of obstacles to overcome. Going to the place where you need to go next is not a challenge.

Skilletor

Yeah, seven-year-olds can still overcome challenges. Hell, just think about the games you played when you were seven (if you played games when you were seven).

There's no excuse for designing a game like this that's devoid of obstacles to overcome. Going to the place where you need to go next is not a challenge.

I played and beat Zelda 1 when I was 7 or 8. lol

Top Bottom