• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After threats, wife of anti-abortion GOP lawmaker goes public about own abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/25/its-haunted-me-after-threats-wife-of-anti-abortion-gop-state-lawmaker-goes-public-about-abortion/
Stephanie Chatfield began her confession by thanking the person who pressured her into it. The wife of Michigan GOP State Rep. Lee Chatfield wrote in Facebook post last Friday that someone recently contacted her husband about swirling rumors, threatening to expose her.

“Your desire to see this story go public emboldened me to do something that I should have done years ago,” Chatfield, 28, said. “And no matter the intentions of anybody wishing to see this story go public, this I am certain of: God meant it for good and will glorify Himself through this.”

The post, which was shared on Lee Chatfield’s public Facebook page but signed with Stephanie Chatfield’s name, was titled “Be Pro-Life — But offer help to women in need.” It told the story of an alcohol-laden high school party, an alleged rape, an abortion and years of regret — a story made all the more distinctive because she is now married to an antiabortion lawmaker running for reelection this year.

Lee Chatfield, also 28, is the co-sponsor of a bill that would ban and criminalize “dismemberment abortion,” the most common method for terminating a pregnancy in the second trimester, according to the AP. While other procedures would remain available, opponents of such bans have argued that they would force women to seek medically unsafe abortions.

She has no memory of that night, Stephanie Chatfield said. She knew only by her appearance and physical condition the next morning that she “had been taken advantage of.” Three weeks later, she learned that she was pregnant.

Chatfield told no one. Not her friends; not her parents. “I was ashamed and I was scared,” she said, and one week later, she resolved to abort her child — the “worst [decision] of my life.”

At the end of the post, Chatfield offered comfort and advice to young girls and women who might find themselves in a similar situation. She implored those facing unplanned pregnancies to remember that they had support systems they could lean on, including crisis pregnancy centers, and that they should not fear others’ judgment.

Speaking to the AP, Lee Chatfield’s two opponents for his state representative seat in November — Republican Kathy Twardy and Democrat Phil Bellfy — also both denied having anything to do with the disclosure.

In introducing his wife’s statements on Facebook, Lee Chatfield wrote, “I’m extremely proud of my wife for her courage!”

Lee Chatfield is a proponent of defunding Planned Parenthood. A photo posted to his Facebook page last August shows him protesting outside of one of the state’s facilities.

Is dismemberment abortion what it sounds like? I'm a supporter of abortion rights, but that certainly sounds pretty vile, and if there are other methods available, it should be banned

Fat4all

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with banning dismemberment abortion. In my opinion it's inhumane, and you're free to have your own opinion.

I'm certainly not in favor of it, but Pro-Choice fight back because of all the small, eroding victories the Pro-Life camp keep winning across the country, even to the point where there's only one clinic in an entire state.

I don't see anything wrong with banning dismemberment abortion. In my opinion it's inhumane, and you're free to have your own opinion.

You mean carrying it out on a fetus is inhumane, it's still a medical procedure often necessary after miscarriages. If a woman needs an abortion she'll get one, the safest option should be the preferred. Banning it won't make the problem go away and you'll just endanger women in need.

Is dismemberment abortion what it sounds like? I'm a supporter of abortion rights, but that certainly sounds pretty vile, and if there are other methods available, it should be banned

Partial Birth Abortion 2.0. It's another euphemistic retread for the theocratric rubes to eat up, just like "intelligent design" and "religious liberty". They frame their issues in the most graphic, hyperbolic way to inflame passions.

cameron

Crisis pregnancy centers are scams, I'm not sure those are good places to go to for help if you're pregnant.

CPC's are incredibly shitty.

From her Facebook post:
To girls everywhere, if you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy, whatever the circumstances, know that those around you love you and want to help you. There are crisis pregnancy centers in our area that exist for the sole purpose of helping girls like you. The support is there. You will not be judged, but rather you will be loved and forgiven. Be courageous. Reach out and look for support!

To those who’ve had abortions and might be battling with guilt, there’s forgiveness in Christ. There’s a life to be lived! God has so graciously blessed me with four beautiful children and a wonderful, loving husband who takes care of us and adores me for who I am, mistakes and all. God has forgiven me, and He’ll forgive you too.

The Guardian:
Crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) are non-medical facilities that seek to counsel women out of having abortions. Many of these clinics have confusing names and advertising that suggest they provide abortion services, and others provide misleading medical information to discourage women from having abortions.

Often, counselors will tell women that condoms are ineffective, that they will be unable to get pregnant again if they have an abortion, and that abortion and birth control cause cancer. There are more than 4,000 CPCs in the US and at least 12 states fund CPCs directly.
“The main crux of the problem is that CPCs project themselves to be comprehensive women’s healthcare centers, and course they’re not,” said Dr Serina Floyd, an OB-GYN and fellow of Physicians for Reproductive Health.

“Women calling wanting to know their options and researching abortion need to have unbiased and medically accurate information. When this is not provided, it puts them in a very dangerous situation. And when it comes to crisis pregnancy centers, not giving women the information they need can cause delays in receiving care – and for something like abortion care, that’s a huge concern,” she said.

ApharmdX

Banned
Dismemberment sounds bad, but it's a medical procedure. Details of medical procedures can often be... distressing. I'm always wary of these kind of laws because at its core this is an issue about women and their right to make decisions about their bodies. I don't support curtailing that right, even for procedures that may be distasteful to some.

I'm not sure if this state rep. opposes abortion for victims of rape or incest, so I don't know if he's a hypocrite on this issue or not. But his wife's statement sounds like she doesn't support abortion at all, in any case. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Yes. First they crush the fetus' skull, then they chop up the "body" into pieces so they can safely vacuum it out of the woman's body. Frankly I don't see what's wrong with it. The alternatives are not as safe.

Assuming you're truly pro-choice, then a) you believe in a woman's right to choose and the right to her own body, and b) a fetus does not have the same autonomous rights as a human being and should not legally have personhood, then I see no reason why this method should have any special restrictions.

Briarios

I hate the whole, "I benefitted from something, but you shouldn't be able to" theme the GOP always had going. The level of hypocrisy is ludicrous ... it's pretty simple: if she'd had that child, there is no way in hell she'd be the wife of a politician.

Ishida

Banned
Yes. First they crush the fetus' skull, then they chop up the "body" into pieces so they can safely vacuum it out of the woman's body. Frankly I don't see what's wrong with it. The alternatives are not as safe.

Uughh.. No. Fuck that. Not supporting doing that to a fellow human being.

"Worst decision of her life." Because she would have had a great one being pregnant in high school, etc. I understand that people think they would love to have that baby as part of their lives right now, but they wouldn't have those lives if they didn't have the abortion.

I think (don't care to Google), the "dismemberment" refers to removal of the fetus, which has been previously "killed" (start the debate engines!) by a saline injection or some such. "Dismemberment abortion" sounds like graphic pro-life speak to demonize the procedure. "They rip their arms and legs off and you can hear their little baby screams from inside the mommy!" It would be nice for doctors to invent new methods of perfectly legal medical procedures, but I doubt there's much enthusiasm for undertaking the process.

Folks falling for the scare quotes around "dismemberment" are playing right into the hands of the GOP.

Abortion doesn't have to sound clean and pretty to remain a needed, legal medical procedure that grants women some measure of control over whether or not they want to reproduce. They could describe everything from the fetus' point of view and it still wouldn't make a strong case for criminalizing it, because doing so doesn't actually stop abortions from happening.

Assuming you're truly pro-choice, then a) you believe in a woman's right to choose and the right to her own body, and b) a fetus does not have the same autonomous rights as a human being and should not legally have personhood, then I see no reason why this method should have any special restrictions.

I don't think the rights are just black and white like that. I don't think that prior to delivery the unborn child has 0 rights, and then in an instant it goes to having the same rights as the mother just because the position of its body relocated from inside the womb to outside the womb.

I think it's a bit of a grey area. "Second trimester" is kind of a broad range. At the beginning of the second trimester I fully agree that it is not "alive". But by the middle of the second trimester it gains a heartbeat, and by the end it can blink its eyes. I don't know, you have to draw a line somewhere. I don't think it's right to draw it at the moment of birth, I think it's something where the rights should kind of phase in gradually over the course of the second and third trimester.

KmA

Second trimester pregnancies are very very rare... Plus no one uses the term "dismemberment abortion" except pro-life proponents just like no one said "ground zero mosque" except for racists.

Ishida

Banned
Ah, you are against abortion in all cases? Don't agree with you on that, but that's your call of course. As long as you don't take the option away from others.

Not sure in all cases, but killing and destruction by dismemberment of a member of our own species is just something I cannot imagine happening in a civilized society. But that's just me.

fortunately, no humans are harmed in these procedures, so fear not

I disagree, but anyways.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm impressed at some of the responses here. She was raped, no sympathy there? Rapist is free obviously, no investigation, no nothing; abortion got you covered.

What's the hypocrisy? She had an abortion and regrets it to this day, can't someone change her views or opinions over time? That's totally her right.

And dismemberment abortion is awful and completely inhumane IMO, just don't do a google image search...

Not sure in all cases, but killing and destruction by dismemberment of a member of our own species is just something I cannot imagine happening in a civilized society. But that's just me.
I'm not familiar with the procedure, but I don't think the actual killing (term can be debated) is done by dismemberment. But you need to get the death fetus out somehow. I doubt this way is the mothers first choice also.

Ishida

Banned
It's not a human being. Not yet, anyway. That's kind of the point.

Why not? It is genetically a human being, isn't it? It's just not fully developed yet, but it is a member of our own species.

I'm not familiar with the procedure, but I don't think the actual killing (term can be debated) is done by dismemberment. But you need to get the death fetus out somehow. I doubt this way is the mothers first choice also.

I don't know. I just don't like the idea of killing. And no, zero religious implications on my opinion (Which I know are very influential in a person's opinion). No god involved for me or anything, just the idea of murdering someone.

Fat4all

Banned

The fetus is already dead before it is broken up to be removed. It's the safest way to extract the dead fetus.

It's not killed by dismemberment.

TylerD

I define a living human being as being developed enough to be viable outside of the womb but that is also problematic because developments in science and technology will continue to move those goalposts to earlier in the pregnancy.

Why not? It is genetically a human being, isn't it? It's just not fully developed yet, but it is a member of our own species.
A blob of cancer cells is genetically a human being too but that doesn't mean you'd get charged with murder for having it cut out and destroyed.

I define a living human being as being developed enough to be viable outside of the womb but that is also problematic because developments in science and technology will continue to move those goalposts to earlier in the pregnancy.

I think the only solution is to remove the baby and if it lives you have to keep it. If it dies then there you go.

Uughh.. No. Fuck that. Not supporting doing that to a fellow human being.

you misunderstand, the fetus is already dead at that point. They are disposing medical waste w/o harming women by ripping it out in one piece.

edit: nvm beaten.

that's 21 weeks at best and only a 2% chance right there.

Ishida

Banned
you misunderstand, the fetus is already dead at that point. They are disposing medical waste w/o harming women by ripping it out in one piece.

Read my previous posts. It's not really the dismemberment, but the act of killing it. To me, it sort of sounds like "Fuck you, we already made it into the world, we are already out here, and we are not allowing you to come."

But again, that's kind of just me. :p

That's an abortion.

I know.

That's what makes me sad, actually. :/
I'd feel more sad for the woman who is forced to go through with an unwanted pregnancy.

Read my previous posts. It's not really the dismemberment, but the act of killing it. To me, it sort of sounds like "Fuck you, we already made it into the world, we are already out here, and we are not allowing you to come."

The other way it would sound like "Fuck you, I'm going to make this major decision for you and force you to keep the baby you don't want or do not feel ready to have."

I know.
Yo, do you know what a miscarriage is and how many people have it?

Brakke

Banned
I'm impressed at some of the responses here. She was raped, no sympathy there? Rapist is free obviously, no investigation, no nothing; abortion got you covered.

What's the hypocrisy? She had an abortion and regrets it to this day, can't someone change her views or opinions over time? That's totally her right.

And dismemberment abortion is awful and completely inhumane IMO, just don't do a google image search...

Yeah people get too psyched to call hypocrite. I rarely ever think it's a persuasive charge, even when it does fit.

If that's your criteria for what a human being is I hope you've never masturbated then!

Wildly disingenuous.

ApharmdX

Banned

If she was raped, then I'm sorry, and I hope she gets justice. However, SHE had a choice to terminate the pregnancy and not to deliver or raise the rapist's child. She is advocating denying other victims this same chance. That's wrong.

Link

The Autumn Wind

No sympathy because she was more than willing to sit quietly while her husband and his ilk demonized women who were in the same position. Then when she does have to admit it, her reply is, "Well, I did it, but you totally shouldn't." All while still being ok with her party trying to make abortion illegal even in cases of rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom