• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. |OT| Tahiti is a Magical Place (to...Hey guys, I found it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

I think this show will be huge. Its connected to the rest of the marvel universe so I don't see it failing. Too bad they don't have all the Marvel properties. :(

J10

Banned
Red is a bad color to chroma key because skin tones have a lot of red in them.

oscars-iron-man-2-01_nfx2f1.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ep3 synopsis:

When the brilliant scientist, Dr. Franklin Hall, is kidnapped, Agent Coulson and his S.H.I.E.L.D. agents must race against the clock to locate him. Skye is their only way in -- pushing the team to their limits when the entire plan turns upside-down -- on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Downhome

I really hope this ends up being great. Since it was announced I have assumed it would be a huge letdown and barely make it an entire season.

Prove me wrong, please.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit I'm bothered by the Beautiful People aesthetic of the cast (outside Greg Clark obviously) because it seems very un-Whedon. He seems to prefer a cast of mis-matched characters for the freak factor.

Here's hoping the writing does something interesting with a pantene pantheon.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have to admit I'm bothered by the Beautiful People aesthetic of the cast (outside Greg Clark obviously) because it seems very un-Whedon. He seems to prefer a cast of mis-matched characters for the freak factor.

I am a fan of Whedon's shows...but what has he done that wasn't packed full of gorgeous 20-somethings along with one older cast member and one person who was way older than they looked (I'm looking in your direction, Marsters)?

Clevinger

...but his other shows were packed with beautiful people. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, David Boreanaz, Gina Torres, Morena Baccarin, Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker etc. etc. Even the "nerds" like Willow and whatshisface (even his girlfriend was hot as hell!) from Buffy were good looking.

All his shows have Beautiful People!

dan2026

So is this going to feature Marvel Heroes as well?

Otherwise I honestly don't see see the point of this show.

S.H.I.E.L.D is only made interesting by the crazy universe it exists in.

Also do Marvel have Fantastic Four back yet?
It has been years since the last shitty movie, that contract must be almost over at least.

I think F4 is getting rebooted soon but like X-men still under a different studio for live action crap.

anyone got a place to watch this online/what days it airs. Forgot all about this show but have not clue what channel its on ect.

- Tim Goodman @ THR: Agents of SHIELD: TV Review
Agents of SHIELD, which was co-created by Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, has a nice combination of Whedonesque humor and entertaining action. It's a fun hour and calling it "good but not great" has more to do with expectations in the wake of the Marvel movies than anything else.

ivysaur12

Banned

This is one of those things that I don't understand about Tim Goodman: he's had this theory that people won't "get" SHIELD because it requires comic book knowledge... but there are many more popular shows with higher points of entry. It's not really that big of a deal, and I don't get why he spends half of his review harping on it.

Also, I'm not sure if predictions on how a show will do or not have any place in a review, but that pet peeve is for a different day.

Also, I'm not sure if predictions on how a show will do or not have any place in a review, but that pet peeve is for a different day.
He's been doing that more and more often of late. I suppose it's relevant to the show's survivability, but it doesn't have much bearing on whether or not I'll enjoy it. He certainly doesn't have to spend as much time on it as he does - seems like something that'd be more appropriate in a separate article.

ivysaur12

Banned
He's been doing that more and more often of late. I suppose it's relevant to the show's survivability, but it doesn't have much bearing on whether or not I'll enjoy it. He certainly doesn't have to spend as much time on it as he does - seems like something that'd be more appropriate in a separate article.

I don't think it really matters for a review about the show's quality with its long term viability. It seems like that's something that could go somewhere else. I don't care about its timeslot competition against NCIS -- tell me your issues with SHIELD. If you want to talk about its potential viability as a series, put that somewhere else. Otherwise, why does it matter in a review, besides inflating word count?

TheOddOne

Reviews!

- EW (A-)
Superfans, stop holding your breath: Yes, it’s good.
- Off The Record.
You don’t have to know “The Avengers” or the Marvel comics universe to appreciate “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” — but it helps. The masterful Joss Whedon declared his goal is to welcome all viewers to the project, not just fankids, though he doesn’t start slowly and newcomers may need background.
- Kansis City Star.
Whedon is handing over the keys to his brother and sister-in-law, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, who worked together on “Dollhouse” and delivered the last two seasons of “Spartacus” for Starz. If the pilot hasn’t oversold us on production values that will plummet later, the show should be able to avoid the disappointing downturn that NBC’s “Revolution” suffered after “Iron Man” director Jon Favreau turned in a great first episode.
- Variety.
Get past the show’s parentage and Disney’s synergistic presence, however, and “Agents of SHIELD” resembles any number of other series from the past built around crack teams charged with facing down fantastic threats — from “The Man From UNCLE” to “The X-Files” to “Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s” Scooby gang — albeit with a souped-up level of hardware.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Will each episode be on Hulu right after airing? I just realized that I have clincals during the shows airing and no current access to a DVR.

wildfire

Banned
It's Whedon and his shows don't suck though his past 2 tv projects took a few more episodes than usual to get into stride.

I'm looking forward to this.

Linius

Haven't watched a single trailer but since I'm a fan of superhero stuff I'm gonna give this a go. And Whedon, obviously.

Channel 4 in the UK are good for picking this up, but once again they completely miss the point by airing it almost a week after the American one. Must try harder.

I'm very much excited for the show, Avengers being probably the most enjoyable superhero flick I've watched.

Channel 4 in the UK are good for picking this up, but once again they completely miss the point by airing it almost a week after the American one. Must try harder.

I'm very much excited for the show, Avengers being probably the most enjoyable superhero flick I've watched.

It's only like 3 days after, that's pretty good by UK standards.

It's only like 3 days after, that's pretty good by UK standards.

In a world where I can get Breaking Bad on Netflix tomorrow, it's just not good enough. Maybe I have high expectations, but I'm highly impatient.

Not to mention Channel 4 have an irritating habit of cutting everything and anything they can from American shows. Whole episodes of How I Met Your Mother don't make any sense because they cut jokes that are too edgy for daytime viewing, but those jokes are also integral to the plot. It's an awful viewing experience.

Not to mention Channel 4 have an irritating habit of cutting everything and anything they can from American shows. Whole episodes of How I Met Your Mother don't make any sense because they cut jokes that are too edgy for daytime viewing, but those jokes are also integral to the plot. It's an awful viewing experience.

This doesn't happen if you watch the episodes as they air for the first time, in an appropriate timeslot. This show ain't getting mashed up.

Hope the reviews are right. The commercials for this make it look awful, and the previews in cinemas with the actors explaining their roles just sounded so cheesy. But previews didn't really show any Whedon "charm", so assume they are just really badly put together.

Toa TAK

Banned
So how much is Whedon even involved beyond the pilot? I gotta imagine he's pretty busy with all the movie stuff.

This is my question, too. The fact that it's Marvel with Coulson is awesome, but I'm mainly interested in seeing Whedon come back to TV for a bit.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
So how much is Whedon even involved beyond the pilot? I gotta imagine he's pretty busy with all the movie stuff.
I'd imagine he's involved in the same capacity he was with Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, etc. He's overseeing the entire MCU but will only step in when really asked or if he's needed. Although his involvement might be amped up slightly since TV has been his main medium.

Or I could be incredibly wrong about all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom